IGNORED

Ben, Jessa, Spurgeon Six

SpoonfulOSugar

32 minutes ago, catlady said:

i do payroll, so i see a lot of HR records--while Truly Precious is a new one for me, we've had a lot of Preciouses over the years.

And didn't one of the Sister Wives have a baby they named Truly? Second time I had heard that name!

29 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Went to school with with a Vainilla and Cinnamon (no related).

lol My mom had a family friend whose daughters were April, May, and June. All names individually but put together way to themed for me. 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once heard the name...wait for it....

Little Johnson. 

It was during jury duty. The bailiff said the same, paused, continued on as normal, and after a few minutes finally completely lost his shit. Turned red, sputtered, tried desperately to not laugh, then the judge looked his way with a smirk and that was it. Bailiff ran out of the room. 

Have a friend that has a family member with the name Velvet.

Then there's the guy I knew in high school whose girlfriend had a baby and let him pick the name.  He said he wanted to name the baby after his favorite thing.  Her name was Money.  (as in cash)

31 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I once heard the name...wait for it....

Little Johnson. 

It was during jury duty. The bailiff said the same, paused, continued on as normal, and after a few minutes finally completely lost his shit. Turned red, sputtered, tried desperately to not laugh, then the judge looked his way with a smirk and that was it. Bailiff ran out of the room. 

Mr. CL and i were discussing names once, and he figured the worst name ever would be Dick Smallwood Jr.

13 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I worked with a nurse named Teddy Bare.

She could have been friends with a woman in my hometown named Fanny Butts.  No, her parents didn't name her that.  It was her married name.

ETA:  Barbara Bain played a character named Cinnamon on 60s TV show Mission Impossible.

I knew a librarian named Rita Book, also a married name. I couldn't help but wonder if she married him just so she could take his name. ;)

50 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

She could have been friends with a woman in my hometown named Fanny Butts.  No, her parents didn't name her that.  It was her married name.

ETA:  Barbara Bain played a character named Cinnamon on 60s TV show Mission Impossible.

Best argument for not changing one's name after getting married. 

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I knew a librarian named Rita Book, also a married name. I couldn't help but wonder if she married him just so she could take his name. ;)

Best argument for changing one's name after getting married. I totally would. 

I wanted son to be named Harry after a relative, hubby wanted Angus. Then my brother commented,"Harry Angus? You KNOW kids are going to call him 'hairy anus.'" Thus ended those name choices for us...

6 hours ago, Karma said:

Both Anna and Brandon would have passed my test 19 & 16 years ago - they can be spelled, pronounced, and you know whether they're a boy or a girl. :) 

Ah, but should we give our kids clearly gendered names?  They might turn out to be transgender! 

I am not being facetious. In the past 2 years I have had direct contact with three young people who were changing from their birth sex to the other sex. Two are students. The third is the 12 year old grandchild of a neighbor. (Neighbor is distraught. She loves her grandchild and thinks it is a terrible sin not to be content with the body God gave you. She might have handled gay, but trans is too much for this not-very-strict but still-Baptist grandma.)

Anyway, you would think that changing your name is the least of your worries when going through the transition from male to female or female to male, but the school roll tends to use your legal name and changing that before your transition is complete is hard.  So the student shows up as Susan Smith and has to tell the professor that he is really John Smith.  And the professor has to remember when entering grades.   It would be so much easier if the parents had named their baby something gender neutral (like "Ray" or "Sandy" or "Lee" ) or with an androgynous nickname ("Pat" or "Chris" or "Alex").

But 18 or 20 years ago, parents just weren't planning on their kids growing up to be trans.  (Though, come to think of it, my first encounter with a trans student was about 18 years ago.)

Anyway, I am not joking.  I think that names that are too obviously gendered may be wise to avoid in this changing world.

3 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

My dad went to school with a fellow named Lubrication. Not joking. 

He changed his name to Lubric, later on in life. 

Went to school with with a Vainilla and Cinnamon (no related). There were also a few Deja's in my grade, which I think is a pretty name. 

It sounds like it should be something pretty in French, but it is just 'already.'

I used to date a guy whose stepmother was a special Ed teacher in the Chicago Public Schools. She once had a student named Aft'yrnoon D'lyte, and there was a family in the same school whose kids were all named for Cadillac models. And there was an inventor and upstanding citizen from Denver who carried the name Timber Dick. Stranger still was that his roommate at Yale was a guy named Richard Swett, and you guessed it, he went by Dick. 

31 minutes ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

And there was an inventor and upstanding citizen from Denver who carried the name Timber Dick. Stranger still was that his roommate at Yale was a guy named Richard Swett, and you guessed it, he went by Dick. 

In high school I went to this camp thing, and one of the speakers was a man named Dick Rash. He got up in front of hundreds of teenagers and introduced himself as such. For the life of me I cannot understand why that man didn't go by Richard or Rich or Rick or R-Dawg or Ricardo or ANYTHING other than Dick.

43 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

In high school I went to this camp thing, and one of the speakers was a man named Dick Rash. He got up in front of hundreds of teenagers and introduced himself as such. For the life of me I cannot understand why that man didn't go by Richard or Rich or Rick or R-Dawg or Ricardo or ANYTHING other than Dick.

Baa-haa-haa!  I can imagine the Beavis and Butthead tittering of the teens!

The founder of the World Anti Doping Agency and Canadian Olympic swimmer is named Dick Pound. One of his teammates was Dick Lean. 

5 hours ago, Suz8710 said:

I knew a guy legally named Sir.

Mr. T's legal name is now (it wasn't at birth) is indeed Mr. T. He changed it from Lawrence Toreau so that everyone would have to call him Mr.. Considering that he came of age in a time when most black men were referred to by incredibly demeaning or disrespectful names ("boy" probably being the least offensive of them all), it makes a lot of sense.

4 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

Baa-haa-haa!  I can imagine the Beavis and Butthead tittering of the teens!

The founder of the World Anti Doping Agency and Canadian Olympic swimmer is named Dick Pound. One of his teammates was Dick Lean. 

You said tittering...hehaheha...:character-beavisbutthead:

One day at work we started compiling a list of "famous Dicks"... political names like Dick Lugar and Dick Army...then there's NASCAR driver Dick Trickle.

I like to think I have a great sense of humor, but I would never name any of my children something that would potentially cause them to be ridiculed forever. :lol:

7 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Anyway, I am not joking.  I think that names that are too obviously gendered may be wise to avoid in this changing world.

I think that's a little bit ridiculous. There are still two biological sexes that are very different from each other. To suggest that names should be "neutral" in case a minute number of people want to change it is a little silly. There are probably more people who have stupid names chosen by their parents that want to change their name as opposed to transgendered people wanting to change their name. 

19 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I've heard a variant of this- your supposed to holler the name you think you've chosen out the back door, to see how it sounds when calling a kid.

The neighbors will get a kick out of that!

10 hours ago, Suz8710 said:

Which reminds me of one of the stupidest celebrity names, IMHO. Jermaine Jackson named a child Jermajesty.

55 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

The neighbors will get a kick out of that!

Which reminds me of one of the stupidest celebrity names, IMHO. Jermaine Jackson named a child Jermajesty.

Didn't she change her name and join FJ? 

Calling @JermajestyDuggar...

Theme names: at the turn of the (20th) century, my godmother was born right before the end of the last day of May. Her twin was born just after the beginning of the first day of June. Dorotha May and Hamilton June, they called them. And Dorotha was "Dorothy" and her brother was "junie" his entire life.

12 hours ago, Suz8710 said:

I'm a public librarian, and I see some awful names, such as SirJacob (all one word) and his sister Princess Loveangel. Parents are horrible.

9 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

...It would be so much easier if the parents had named their baby something gender neutral (like "Ray" or "Sandy" or "Lee" ) or with an androgynous nickname ("Pat" or "Chris" or "Alex").

But 18 or 20 years ago, parents just weren't planning on their kids growing up to be trans.  (Though, come to think of it, my first encounter with a trans student was about 18 years ago.)

It's not always quite that simple, though. A relative of mine who is transgender happened to be given a name at birth that could go either way - and in fact is more commonly used for females than males. She still changed her name when she transitioned, because even though she already had a name no one would think twice about hearing for a woman, it was still emotionally important to her to select a different name to reflect embracing her identity.

No matter what name you pick, it may not turn out to fit your child's identity as they grow. I think that rather than trying to pick the most neutral name possible in the hopes it'll never cause your child any difficulties (which you can never guarantee anyway,) it's better to just pick whatever name you think is best, but accept that your child is a separate person and may need to make a change at some point for reasons of their own - and not get so attached to whatever name you choose that you can't bear for it to be changed someday. Ultimately the name belongs to the person it was given to, and there are always going to be variables that a parent can't control for at birth.

@Becket70,  I have an acquaintance named Crystal Ball who is not a political analyst but merely a flake.

There was a guy in my hometown named Juan Fowler except that you pronounced Juan as Jew-Ann.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived