IGNORED

Ben, Jessa, Spurgeon Six

SpoonfulOSugar

A friend is a defense attorney.  One time he was representing a woman charged with some relatively minor crime.  She was quite pregnant at the time of her arrest and he succeeded in having the proceedings delayed until after the baby was born.

When he met with her again, he inquired politely after the baby.  She said she picked the most lovely name, something she'd heard on the TV.

She'd named her child Anthrax.  (This was during the period just post 9/11 when someone was mailing the stuff to prominent individuals.)

Rick explained what the word was, and then did a little pro bono work to find out how to change a child's name.  It turns out, for infants in Ohio, it was just some paperwork and a small fee if the parents change their mind about a kid's name when they're still very young.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My uncle named his dog Abcde (Ab-see-dee) back in the mid-90s. My aunt only went along with it because the other option would have been Shittay. I miss that dog.

7 minutes ago, Kyoo said:

A friend is a defense attorney.  One time he was representing a woman charged with some relatively minor crime.  She was quite pregnant at the time of her arrest and he succeeded in having the proceedings delayed until after the baby was born.

When he met with her again, he inquired politely after the baby.  She said she picked the most lovely name, something she'd heard on the TV.

She'd named her child Anthrax.  (This was during the period just post 9/11 when someone was mailing the stuff to prominent individuals.)

Rick explained what the word was, and then did a little pro bono work to find out how to change a child's name.  It turns out, for infants in Ohio, it was just some paperwork and a small fee if the parents change their mind about a kid's name when they're still very young.

My comment about choosing names is that your child has to grow up and shake peoples' hands and say "Hello, I'm Blahblah Blahblah." Does it rhyme, does it run together, does it just sound strange? Give the kid a break. Ha ha. 

35 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

My comment about choosing names is that your child has to grow up and shake peoples' hands and say "Hello, I'm Blahblah Blahblah." Does it rhyme, does it run together, does it just sound strange? Give the kid a break. Ha ha. 

And if you still need to think of it from a parent's perspective, make sure the name you choose is one you'll be willing to yell in full when your child misbehaves in public (i.e. NASTY ELIZABETH HOBBITSES GET BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!)

7 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I had a friend in China whose English name was Cherry. I think it really fit her personality (sweet, but not sugary or sappy).

I also like unusual names with interesting stories behind them, but Spurgeon just sounds awkward and un-melodious.

I had an American friend in fifth grade whose name was Cherry.  People (even teachers) kept calling her Cheryl by mistake and she would patiently explain that it was Cherry, that her parents had named her Cherry because she looked like a little cherry when she was born.

11 hours ago, JillyO said:

That is an urban legend. And a really racist one at that.

I know all about prejudices people have against 'black' sounding names. I grew up in a pre-dominantly black country where people had names that deviated from the Anglo-Saxon norm. And I know that L-a is a very rare name used to perpetuate the black-ghetto stereotype  but I do actually know of someone with that name and spelling (which is why I mentioned it). 

But thanks for mentioning that important point. And thanks for the article @Pianokeeper

55 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

And if you still need to think of it from a parent's perspective, make sure the name you choose is one you'll be willing to yell in full when your child misbehaves in public (i.e. NASTY ELIZABETH HOBBITSES GET BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!)

I've heard a variant of this- your supposed to holler the name you think you've chosen out the back door, to see how it sounds when calling a kid.

16 hours ago, Purrl said:

An acquaintance of mine has grandchildren named Archer, Minister and Shepherd. I am a part of a group where one woman has a grandchild whose name is Abcde - pronounced Absidy.

Came out of lurkdom to say that Abcde is my niece's name...she loves it and never once got teased about it.  Back to lurking.

I had a patient who named her baby Anchor. Anchor James. I don't know what came over me but I said, "Anchor? What kind of name is that for a baby?" She said it was a family name, (her father owned Anchor Plumbing in town.) So they were going to call him AJ.

Foot in mouth.

8 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

I had a patient who named her baby Anchor. Anchor James. I don't know what came over me but I said, "Anchor? What kind of name is that for a baby?" She said it was a family name, (her father owned Anchor Plumbing in town.) So they were going to call him AJ.

Foot in mouth.

Part of me wishes their last name was Watt so he could be Anchor Watt.

That pun was horrible. I'll show myself out.

In one of my college classes, there was a woman with the name Kimn. Kim with a silent n. Not joking. She was a real sweetheart, though.

I was one of 9 "Nicole" 's in my grade growing up. I wish my parents had been more creative with me! My mom wanted to call me Amoreena Rose but my dad being the lameass that he is was like "I'll never be able to spell that" so I became Nicole Amoreena. I then named my daughter Evelyn Rose. Here's hoping there isn't a sea of Evelyn's in her grade lol. 

My husband is hellbent on us eventually having a boy & naming him Woodrow (after a friend of his that passed) but I'm definitely.....hesitant. 

@19Kittens, Woodrow could always be called Woody like Woody Boyd on Cheers or Woody on the Toy  Story movies.  Woodrow is both the name of President Woodrow Wilson and Texas Ranger Woodrow Call from Lonesome Dove. I like Woodrow Call better.  President Wilson was more than a bit of a racist.

Woody does have one big problem though.  It's slang for a hard on.

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Now I feel lame and uncreative for picking Anna and Brandon,

I suppose I can try to convince hubby that Velociraptor Barbarian or Magenta Royalty would be better options. :pb_lol:

Both Anna and Brandon would have passed my test 19 & 16 years ago - they can be spelled, pronounced, and you know whether they're a boy or a girl. :) 

My favorite rule of thumb for telling whether you have a good or bad name picked out is to say these two sentences:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I now present the President of the United States... [name]!"

"Ladies and gentlemen, now appearing on the main stage of the Lusty Beaver Adult Club.. [name]!"

If the name you are considering sounds more fitting in the first sentence, it's a good name. If it fits better in the second sentence, rethink your choices. ;)

I know a girl named Pepsi Sue. If I told you her last name you'd bust a gut. Her whole name sounds like a stripper. Someone mentioned a month ago on Facebook "Does anyone remember Pepsi Sue (last name)? Didn't her Mom name her Pepsi because it was her favorite drink?" Someone responded "I work with her Mom!" And tagged her. Pepsi Sue is still around.... Poor girl. Bad name choice for their child. 

We have a student leader named Five- like the digit. He always tells people "no, I don't have a brother & sister named Four or Six. I'm not the fifth child in the family." Poor Five... But he takes it in stride.

2 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

In one of my college classes, there was a woman with the name Kimn. Kim with a silent n. Not joking. She was a real sweetheart, though.

I saw the name of some random person in a news story, it was Knicole. Just because you can throw silent letters in something doesn't mean you should.

I hear Poppy is very popular in the UK. I always loved my name Rachel, b/c there were never any other Rachels in my classes. Now it's making a comeback.

I wanted to name #2 Harmony but my hubby thought it was too "bohemian.":my_dodgy: So we got "Melissa." Big leap. #1 was 7, so we let her name her baby sister. Not entirely a mistake.

On 5/26/2016 at 7:19 PM, Ungodly Grandma said:

My sister taught in the Bronx. She had a child whose legal name was Princess Baby.

The newspaper announcement of my youngest brother's birth had a girl named Truly Precious below his. 

1 minute ago, twinmama said:

The newspaper announcement of my youngest brother's birth had a girl named Truly Precious below his. 

i do payroll, so i see a lot of HR records--while Truly Precious is a new one for me, we've had a lot of Preciouses over the years.

My dad went to school with a fellow named Lubrication. Not joking. 

He changed his name to Lubric, later on in life. 

Went to school with with a Vainilla and Cinnamon (no related). There were also a few Deja's in my grade, which I think is a pretty name. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived