IGNORED

Ben, Jessa, Spurgeon Six

SpoonfulOSugar

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a guy on  Commercial Drive in Vancouver the other night who looked a helluva lot like Bin Seewald. He was wearing a spiked leathery vest over a what looked like a red and white soccer shirt, jeans, and a red baseball cap. Perhaps Bin felt called to minister to the people of East Vancouver, decided he needed an edgy look to gain cred, but got it all wrong? The dead giveaway that this guy wasn't Benye is that his baseball cap was on forward.

That's saving babies from abortion. Those poor embryos would be tossed in the garbage otherwise. Or worse, they could be used in investigations. Science is baaad

Just now, Fundie Bunny said:

That's saving babies from abortion. Those poor embryos would be tossed in the garbage otherwise. Or worse, they could be used in investigations. Science is baaad

and I can see Jessa saying let me have it 

17 minutes ago, nst said:

and I can see Jessa saying let me have it 

And have it implanted in her mother.

Michelle could be HER surrogate.

Paybacks are a bitch.

[of course Michelle would actually love the pregnancy, labor and delivery parts]

Just now, SassyPants said:

Paybacks are a bitch.

[of course Michelle would actually love the pregnancy, labor and delivery parts]

I was thinking jessa could then she could be a conduit 

50 minutes ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

From the article:

Knowing that it is often more challenging to find adoptive homes in the United States for non-Caucasian children we informed the agency that we were willing to accept any child except a fully Caucasian child. We did this with the deeply held conviction that if the Lord wanted us to have a fully Caucasian child my wife would conceive naturally.

What an incredibly weird thing to say.

41 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Paybacks are a bitch.

J'chelle would have been perfect as a surrogate! She could have been preggers over and over, and then pass the babies off for other people to raise! Oh wait...

4 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

From the article:

The entire article was full of weirdness. I understand that they're sharing their experience as Caucasians who have adopted African American children, but the way they talked about their children felt very patronizing.

"I felt sheer delight during this pregnancy watching my son and daughter, with his dark brown skin and her with the ringlet hair and slightly tan skin, kiss my white wife’s growing belly. Each evening they said good night to those three growing little girls in her belly, and now they get to finally say sweet dreams to their baby sisters — face-to-adorable-face."

Something about this just makes me cringe. It sounds like they're exotifying their own children, which is creepy.

5 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I don't know why this cracks me up.  I have this vision of a little tiny embryo police department.  First thing in the morning all the embryo officers, sargents, captains meet in the big room and all are handed out their assignments for the day.  The telephone rings and Officer Ted Embryo answers, looks puzzled, says, "Oh my God!  We'll be right there!".  They all run to their tiny embryo cars...

I have a huge imagination.

4 hours ago, Wenny said:

Jessa, Ben...no one is going to drop a baby on your doorstep. I can't tell if it is a Hero complex or White Savior. 

It's for attention.

4 hours ago, Carol said:

I don't know why this cracks me up.  I have this vision of a little tiny embryo police department.  First thing in the morning all the embryo officers, sargents, captains meet in the big room and all are handed out their assignments for the day.  The telephone rings and Officer Ted Embryo answers, looks puzzled, says, "Oh my God!  We'll be right there!".  They all run to their tiny embryo cars...

I have a huge imagination.

Sergeant Phil Embryo:  "Let's be careful out there!"

(HT to HILL Street Blues)

Embryo adoption was in the news quite a bit during George W. Bush's tenure, because stem cell research was a big controversy and he invited some parents and their "snowflake babies"(i.e., children born from adopted embryos) to the White House to demonstrate why we shouldn't use embryos for research. You don't hear about it much today, but logically speaking, the Duggars should be protesting IVF clinics, since more embryos are destroyed there than through abortions. Of course, logic as we know it has no place in Duggar world, but Jessa giving birth to black triplets or something like that would certainly make her the center of attention.

That guy has such a huge case of White Savior Complex, its disgusting. Cool, adopt Embryos if that's what jeebus tells you to do but don't be a creep about it. 

3 hours ago, 19catsandcounting said:

That guy has such a huge case of White Savior Complex, its disgusting. Cool, adopt Embryos if that's what jeebus tells you to do but don't be a creep about it. 

I couldn't agree more. The more I think about this article, the more it reeks of white privilege.

"There is something beautiful and enriching being the only white face sitting and chatting with some of my African-American friends as my son gets his hair cut on a Saturday morning." Just ew. If I didn't know better I'd think this was a satirical article.

The claim that they aren't adopting for 'political reasons' smells like bullshit to me. After reading this article, I definitely could see these folks hauling their children around to pro life rallies. The children would dutifully smile in the background while Poppa preaches about being pro-life and 'not racist at all'. He's already got Jim Boob's helmet hair, and I wouldn't be surprised if the wife has the Adoring Gaze(TM) down pat. Who wants to take bets that we'll be seeing them on TLC in the near future?

I don't get why the skin color of your child would be any issue, either positive or negative. Till I started reading here I did not know that in the US you could have a say in what kind of skin color your adoptive child would have, nor could I imagine anyone would care. All adoptive families I know have children with different skin colors from themselves. None of them I have even heard it mention. But then these people adopt because they can't have kids, and then something trivial like skin color is irrelevant. You are just overjoyed with what you get. Because it is a freaking child and nothing else matters.

I suppose if you are a white person adopting to save black kids or something, you can become acutely aware of how good you are. And how unracist. But for my friends and family members who adopted, it was the black/yellow/chocolate colored child that saved them from a lifetime of unwanted childlessness.

45 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

I don't get why the skin color of your child would be any issue, either positive or negative. Till I started reading here I did not know that in the US you could have a say in what kind of skin color your adoptive child would have, nor could I imagine anyone would care. All adoptive families I know have children with different skin colors from themselves. None of them I have even heard it mention. But then these people adopt because they can't have kids, and then something trivial like skin color is irrelevant. You are just overjoyed with what you get. Because it is a freaking child and nothing else matters.

I suppose if you are a white person adopting to save black kids or something, you can become acutely aware of how good you are. And how unracist. But for my friends and family members who adopted, it was the black/yellow/chocolate colored child that saved them from a lifetime of unwanted childlessness.

It is embarrassing to me how very racist the US is.

And I love the way you phrased your last sentence!

19 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

From the article:

Back when we were adopting, about a month after we got #1 son we got a call from our agency asking if we knew someone, anyone with a completed home study.  Our agency had a healthy baby boy sitting in the hospital and they had nobody willing to adopt him.  They had contacted all the other agencies in Virginia and couldn't find a family for him with them either.  His horrible secret?  He was black.  (We couldn't take him since we hadn't completed #1's adoption)

This was in Lynchburg, where I got to routinely pass all the protesters from Falwell's church holding up anti abortion signs telling women to choose adoption.  For all these folks claim to care about every child, they are remarkably dense when it comes to dealing with kids who are melanin enhanced.

There are tens of thousands of actual kids who need families right now.  The embryos can wait.

39 minutes ago, guitar_villain said:

Back when we were adopting, about a month after we got #1 son we got a call from our agency asking if we knew someone, anyone with a completed home study.  Our agency had a healthy baby boy sitting in the hospital and they had nobody willing to adopt him.  They had contacted all the other agencies in Virginia and couldn't find a family for him with them either.  His horrible secret?  He was black.  (We couldn't take him since we hadn't completed #1's adoption)

This was in Lynchburg, where I got to routinely pass all the protesters from Falwell's church holding up anti abortion signs telling women to choose adoption.  For all these folks claim to care about every child, they are remarkably dense when it comes to dealing with kids who are melanin enhanced.

That story makes me furious. I can imagine In some cases white people would hesitate to adopt a black teenager, because of cultural differences which might make it a difficult fit into their family, especially when there are other kids involved. But a newborn? Newborns have no culture or language to adapt to. They grow up with your family culture, your religion, your accent, your values, your manners. Why would anybody care about their color?:lost:

I would love to have another kid, but my body sucks at pregnancy and birth. If said little baby boy would be put on my doorstep, wow, I can't even begin to imagine how exited we'd all be. Can you give these people my address? I promise I will buy the best car seat I can find and he will never have to eat tatertot cassarole ever.:my_angel:

Race is a determining factor for Black people in the. uS, and adopting transracially does th e child a disservice if race is ignored. There is plenty of material on transracial adoption available, much of it written by the adopted people themselves. Those who want to adopt transracially need to educate and prepare themselves.

These people are the reason why so many transracial adoptees have negative feelings towards it. I feel so bad for those children growing up with this level of Othering. I couldn't even read the whole thing I was so disgusted by the quotes I saw here. The comment about God wanting them to have a "fully caucasian child" makes it seem like the place a biological, white baby at a higher level than their adopted, black children.

Transracial adopting can be done right, but these people are gross.

22 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Race is a determining factor for Black people in the. uS, and adopting transracially does th e child a disservice if race is ignored. There is plenty of material on transracial adoption available, much of it written by the adopted people themselves. Those who want to adopt transracially need to educate and prepare themselves.

Fully agree. You educate yourself as much as you can for future implications, according to your cultural context. I would also think (correct me if I am too naive) that for the child it could be more convenient if they look like their parents and that can be taken into consideration for their sake.

Example, there are two couples who want to adopt, a white and a black one, as well as a white and a black baby. It makes sense (though it is by no means required) you place them into families that look like them.

But I think refusing a baby in urgent need of a home because he has not the desired color is very narrow minded at best.

Maybe my European background makes a difference here. But multi-colored families are such a no brainer. I know interculteral issues can be complicated. But skin color? I have a bunch of very darkly colored adopted cousins and that has never been an issue ever in the family with anyone. And they have all gone on to marry blond whities and have babies in all different shades.

In different threads I have shared I have issues with international adoption (the many ethical implications) especially of older children (because of the added losses and added stress of cultural adaption). But when talking of in-country adoptions of newborns, skin color is in my eyes no legitimate ground to refuse a child. It makes it sound like America is not one nation under God, but two nations, that have to be kept seperate. If you are really one nation (or want to be), why would you mind if your family reflected the diversity of your country?

16 minutes ago, artdecades said:

These people are the reason why so many transracial adoptees have negative feelings towards it. I feel so bad for those children growing up with this level of Othering. I couldn't even read the whole thing I was so disgusted by the quotes I saw here. The comment about God wanting them to have a "fully caucasian child" makes it seem like the place a biological, white baby at a higher level than their adopted, black children.

Transracial adopting can be done right, but these people are gross.

I also don't get why they place so much emphasis on the colors of their kids. If they are their kids, it shouldn't matter either way, good or bad. Get over it. A kid is a kid. Equally special, equally annoying at times. You raise them, you love them and who cares how diverse or applaudable your views are? Everyone can see their color. No need to point it out. Better focus on your triplets, cause black babies need just as many daiper changes and bottles. Good luck!

4 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

The entire article was full of weirdness. I understand that they're sharing their experience as Caucasians who have adopted African American children, but the way they talked about their children felt very patronizing.

"I felt sheer delight during this pregnancy watching my son and daughter, with his dark brown skin and her with the ringlet hair and slightly tan skin, kiss my white wife’s growing belly. Each evening they said good night to those three growing little girls in her belly, and now they get to finally say sweet dreams to their baby sisters — face-to-adorable-face."

Something about this just makes me cringe. It sounds like they're exotifying their own children, which is creepy.

Yes, the whole article was weird and kind of creepy.  He seems very "look at me!" about this. He must be just absolutely thrilled to have triplets now--that will get him all kinds of attention. Maybe they can have the next TLC show. Kind of like this:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived