IGNORED

Now Scheduling for Summer: Erika Shupe (pt. 7)

SpoonfulOSugar

Shoes, schedules, IKEA, jobs . . . 

It's all about Erika.

Carry on.  

(Last seen here:

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erika said this about Karen driving:

We decided to start earlier, she is ready. She has her permit but not yer licence yet.

Quick summary: Karen now has a job, plus she is learning to drive. Erika continues to be batshit. 

I'm surprised Erika is letting Karen drive since she seemed pretty adamant about not letting them do it until a certain point. Three cheers for whoever is convincing her to be ever-so-slightly less insane.

Back to Erika's shopping- I don't think she's all that good at it. She seems to think the only good way to get clothes is to buy used at one or two stores. I've gotten some amazing deals at places like Belk, Nordstrom, and Anthropologie. Probably still out of budget for such a huge family, but Belk and Nordstrom offer cash back/gift certificates when you have their credit card. I tend to horde them and get cosmetics for practically nothing. Combine them with sales and you can get a $100 top for $15. 

37 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Erika said this about Karen driving:

Quick summary: Karen now has a job, plus she is learning to drive. Erika continues to be batshit. 

So... it took her what? Three whole days to come up with that shitty explanation?

4 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I'm surprised Erika is letting Karen drive since she seemed pretty adamant about not letting them do it until a certain point. Three cheers for whoever is convincing her to be ever-so-slightly less insane.

Back to Erika's shopping- I don't think she's all that good at it. She seems to think the only good way to get clothes is to buy used at one or two stores. I've gotten some amazing deals at places like Belk, Nordstrom, and Anthropologie. Probably still out of budget for such a huge family, but Belk and Nordstrom offer cash back/gift certificates when you have their credit card. I tend to horde them and get cosmetics for practically nothing. Combine them with sales and you can get a $100 top for $15. 

At Dillard's in Feb/March, you can get all of their nice scarves for less than 10 bucks. Most are around 5. You can't get clearance scarves at Target that cheap.

Apparently Friday 22 April is Jelly bean day. Do we think Erika could find a small warm spot in her heart just big enough to give all the kids a jelly bean that day or is that asking for just a little too much?

To the untrained eye they seem like a nice normal family. Painting, sweatshirt capes, making golf clubs out of paper, cozy corners. You have to pay close attention to see the crazy.

Not sure howI feel about honey garlic pasta. Seems like it would be sweet.....

1 hour ago, pnwgypsy said:

There's a pic of everyone surrounding Karen having fro yo to celebrate her job. The look on her face is...."Soon!"

As I've said before, we've had hints about Karen not being entirely satisfied with her lot. I mean, I'm sure she likes her siblings, but Erika loves pointing out that first-borns can be very strong-willed. I wonder if Erika and Karen have arguments like many teenagers or if Karen simply bites her tongue.

This might be the kindest thing Erika has ever done. If she truly recognized Karen's need for independence and a break from taking care of the kids, and actually considered her feelings instead of being so rigid, I am impressed!

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

To the untrained eye they seem like a nice normal family. Painting, sweatshirt capes, making golf clubs out of paper, cozy corners. You have to pay close attention to see the crazy.

Not sure howI feel about honey garlic pasta. Seems like it would be sweet.....

I would be willing to try it. I think I would lessen the amount of honey though just in case. 

Erika's food posts make me sick.

Yes, there is protein in spinach. But you'd have to eat a huge amount of it to get an adequate amount of protein. No way are those littles in her family consuming large amounts of "spinach side salad."

I know she's thrilled that she can buy a bag of prewashed spinach and have a "complete meal" for 11. But it's just not true. Those children are malnourished. They look pale and unhealthy. She is doing damage to their growing bodies and brains.

4 hours ago, NotALoserLikeYou said:

This might be the kindest thing Erika has ever done. If she truly recognized Karen's need for independence and a break from taking care of the kids, and actually considered her feelings instead of being so rigid, I am impressed!

Please. Karen wants to take some classes and Erika doesn't want to pay for it. Erika is backed into a corner because all her relatives are asking what Karen is going to do after graduation. So she has to let her get a job, or risk looking bad to the relatives. 

Erika doesn't want to pay $3000 for a cosmetology course. Erika also doesn't want to pay for Karen's gas and car insurance, but Karen wouldn't stop asking to get her license. All of Erika's nieces and nephews can drive, and it's starting to make Erika look bad that Karen cannot. That's why Karen is getting a job and that's why she's being allowed to drive.

I'm surprised Karen is not working at Bob's company, where she could be under his "umbrella of protection." I suspect Bob's company can't afford another employee, particularly a well-meaning but undereducated young girl with no useful skills.

Karen is not 18 yet right?  It could very well be that Bob's company just does not hire minors (truthfully, I'm surprised Erika let Karen go into an evil heathen public school to obtain working papers).

18 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

Apparently Friday 22 April is Jelly bean day. Do we think Erika could find a small warm spot in her heart just big enough to give all the kids a jelly bean that day or is that asking for just a little too much?

They have to earn that bean. It is the only way. The road to hell is paved with pants and unearned jelly beans and Erika is right to stay vigilant.

As per usual, this family will spend the entire summer cooped up in their house with a backyard that is only suitable to play in 2 months out of the year (because Erika hates mud). Talk about cabin fever!

I mean, there are surely many many free or cheap activities they can do outside the home, apart from the occasional boat ride with their grandfather? Library events, free museum events, Bible camps, volunteering at a pet shelter, state park camping and nature walks, 4H clubs, sleepovers with friends? How about taking a road trip and making up with Bob's parents? Or sending a couple kids to their cousins' for a week?

It seems like they don't even have play dates with other families. You can't possibly raise well-adjusted kids if they never ever socialize outside the home. 

29 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

As per usual, this family will spend the entire summer cooped up in their house with a backyard that is only suitable to play in 2 months out of the year (because Erika hates mud). Talk about cabin fever!

I mean, there are surely many many free or cheap activities they can do outside the home, apart from the occasional boat ride with their grandfather? Library events, free museum events, Bible camps, volunteering at a pet shelter, state park camping and nature walks, 4H clubs, sleepovers with friends? How about taking a road trip and making up with Bob's parents? Or sending a couple kids to their cousins' for a week?

It seems like they don't even have play dates with other families. You can't possibly raise well-adjusted kids if they never ever socialize outside the home. 

They did have another family over for Karen's birthday last year, but I assume they're church family. But this does seem to be rare. Erika believes in the dictum "if you can get along with your siblings you can get along with anybody." BOLLOCKS. Even if your siblings have different personalities, in the Shupe family they're all going to have the same beliefs. Plus I can't imagine that their personalities are all that different anyway. If it was a large non-religious non-homeschooling family, I'd be more inclined to agree, but as it's the Shupes, I don't.

1 lb of pasta (even whole wheat!) cannot properly feed 10-12 people. Maybe 10-12 mice but not growing children. There better be roasted chicken legs, and broccoli, and a salad, and dessert. Except this is Erika and she prefers raising starved, too hungry to think up mischief ghostly children. It's easier for her. 

:annoyed:

According to google, there are 10g of protein per 340 grams of spinach.

Also, 43g of protein per 140 g chicken breast.

I'm just trying to imagine how much 340 grams of spinach looks like. There are about 170 grams of it in those pre-washed bags. There's just no way. 

Not that I'm an expert or anything or a healthy eater in particular. I'm a grad student and I have my fair share of non-complete meals but nobody suffers for my dietary ineptitude except myself. But Erika is just so full of it. 

I must say that a quarter of a cup of parmesan was what I reacted to. That is almost what I use for just a single serving. I am not too disgusted by the dish but as many of you say it is too little food for that many people, that recipe doesn't sound like more than 4-5 portions to me.

I agree that spinach is not a food people should eat for protein but I must add that Erika does say that there is bacon in the salad. It is most likely far too little of that too but she does in fact not just serve pasta and spinach. 

Love the title for this thread!

I really hope the job thing indicates there is some possibility for outside interaction for the kids, no matter what the blog suggests. Maybe the kids will be able to enjoy proper socialization and independence, as long as she can keep up appearances on the blog? Fingers crossed.

"So light and yummy!" claims Erika. Light being the operative word

WTF. A pound of pasta is enough for four adults, so Bob, Erika, Karen and Melanie. What do kids number 3 through 9 eat???

Why are fundies so resistant to facts??  Spinach is a lousy source of protein (and Erika specifically says the protein in her salad is from the spinach).  Per calorie spinach has as much protein as meat but you need to eat one pound (which is a lot of spinach leaves) of spinach to equal the protein in 100 grams of meat.  Erika's supermarket bag of pre-washed spinach split 11 ways will give each person next to no protein.

Facts, google them some time.

One pound for a family of 11 is not enough. It's like 450 grams, so about 40g per person uncooked weight. Especially as it's thin capellini/angel hair pasta. No meat, no creamy sauce, just garlicky honey. I can't imagine that's filling.

According to wiki how, 2 oz is enough per person if it's a side dish or first course. That's more than what each Shupe gets, and theirs is a main course.

ETA: I found the original recipe. It says 8 servings. And people mention it as a side dish. Not a paltry main course with only spinach salad. 

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

WTF. A pound of pasta is enough for four adults, so Bob, Erika, Karen and Melanie. What do kids number 3 through 9 eat???

Bob eats McDonald's on the way home, so 3-9 share a serving.

Does the fafsa apply for cosmetology school? Maybe if only at a community college?

Edit to add, Everett community college which would be commutable for Karen offers cosmetology. If they make $70k or less a year, cost after grants & scholarships is $500.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived