IGNORED

Willis Family including rape charges

MoonFace

On 4/20/2016 at 10:53 PM, Bethella said:

Mods, what's up with this? Do we have separate tiers of FJ membership now?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Mods, what's up with this? Do we have separate tiers of FJ membership now?

*mod on*

You can't see the contents of that thread, because the thread got merged with this one. In other words, you are actually in the thread the OP started. When the mods merge threads, the thread that gets merged into another pre-existing one, can no longer be linked to. The content is now in this thread, and the original link goes dead. So you get posts like the one you quoted. It's a purely technical issue. Hope that explains it.

*mod off*

Just now, samurai_sarah said:

*mod on*

You can't see the contents of that thread, because the thread got merged with this. In other words, you are actually in the thread the OP started. When the mods merge threads, the thread that gets merged into another pre-existing one, can no longer be linked to. The content is now in this thread, and the original link goes dead. So you get posts like the one you quoted. It's a purely technical issue. Hope that explains it.

*mod off*

Thanks! It was the first time I'd seen that message in any thread, merged or not. Your explanation makes complete sense even though the message in the quote block did not.

2 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Thanks! It was the first time I'd seen that message in any thread, merged or not. Your explanation makes complete sense even though the message in the quote block did not.

Between you and me, I had to figure that one out too. The joys of software... ;)

22 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Just to answer your original question because I know on another site one person keeps insisting there is a super sekret area that only special people have access to:

There have been no changes to the way FJ works.  There are two "tiers" of members.  New members and members.  ALL members who (as of this time, but it may change in the future) who make 75 posts can see ALL content that is available to members.

There are, of course, administrative areas that can't be seen by the general membership.

Also, generally speaking, any "error" type messages you get are just the default ones that the system generates.   There are a couple custom ones, but those mostly show up in specific users groups that have restricted access for whatever reason (PC, JTTH, Deactivated, etc)

26 minutes ago, Curious said:

... I know on another site one person keeps insisting there is a super sekret area that only special people have access to...

That one individual is clearly not burdened by education...

On 2. Mai 2016 at 1:58 AM, MorningMist said:

I think the reasoning behind this may be the parents past, they seem to have grown up in some kind of low-key fundie world (no music at the wedding, big family, married pretty early, but still went to school/college) and have expressed their desire to want their kids to have a better childhood than them. I don't think they know for sure what they want for their kids and that they also probably have a romanticised view about the limitless talents of people due to their sheltered upbringing.

Yes, I'm sure there's truth in that.
I'm really curious about how things will turn out for them in the future. Will Jeanette & Cory marry? Will anyone else date? Will they end up living in a big cult-like family compound? I hope for another season...

On 5/1/2016 at 11:07 PM, lilwriter85 said:

I know a family in which the mom's name is Rose. The two daughters in the family have Rose as a middle name.  I did a semester exchange program in Alabama during college. I met a few people there whose families were into the tradition of using the mother's maiden name or other surnames in the family tree as first and middle names.

I love me up some Eudora Welty, and I love Old Southern naming conventions which somewhat mimic those of Ancient Rome, though in practice are not uniform like Roman nomenclature.  My daughter has a double name consisting of my paternal grandmother's middle name and my maternal grandmother's first name (which is also my middle).  My son has my father's middle name and my maiden surname as his first and middle names.  We have a lot of shared names in my family, actually.  My father's mother named several of  her children after her siblings, and her siblings did the same.  My dad is a Junior, so my son's name is very similar to his grandfather and great grandfather's names.  

It's really common in the South to have first cousins with the same, similar, or reversed first and last names because it's really common for moms to use their maiden names and older family names as first and middle names.  

Oh and on topic:  I cannot stand the Willis Family.  The show is as boring as 19KAC and CO

17 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I love me up some Eudora Welty, and I love Old Southern naming conventions which somewhat mimic those of Ancient Rome, though in practice are not uniform like Roman nomenclature.  My daughter has a double name consisting of my paternal grandmother's middle name and my maternal grandmother's first name (which is also my middle).  My son has my father's middle name and my maiden surname as his first and middle names.  We have a lot of shared names in my family, actually.  My father's mother named several of  her children after her siblings, and her siblings did the same.  My dad is a Junior, so my son's name is very similar to his grandfather and great grandfather's names.  

It's really common in the South to have first cousins with the same, similar, or reversed first and last names because it's really common for moms to use their maiden names and older family names as first and middle names.  

Oh and on topic:  I cannot stand the Willis Family.  The show is as boring as 19KAC and CO

In our family we have Robert Ryan (father) Robert Lee (son) and Lee Robert (Grandson) and we;re in Tx. I know 2 other families that have done something similar.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was very tempted to start a whole new thread titled defrauding fundies.  But I'm putting it here instead.  Jedi and Jackson Willis.  Shirtless.  Still not fooled enough to believe they are 'normal'Capture 0512.JPG

Haha yeah, they've shown on their show that they like to show off the guys' bodies. I'm really sad that the show is not on anymore. Guess GOT and the new season of botched will have to do for now... :popcorn:

Yeah, the Willis boys are always strutting about shirtless to lure women with their manly manliness. I am not fooled. None of the adult kids have left the family compound yet.

They've posted pictures of girls in their bikinis before too but I don't think the girls see the appeal of going shirtless as much as the boys

17 hours ago, clueliss said:

I was very tempted to start a whole new thread titled defrauding fundies.  But I'm putting it here instead.  Jedi and Jackson Willis.  Shirtless.  Still not fooled enough to believe they are 'normal'Capture 0512.JPG

How is this not defrauding? Is it because only paunchy men of a certain age get to decide what is attractive and what isn't and, because they are only attracted to women, they let the men go unchecked?

(Note: I'm in a similar age range to the ones I'm calling paunchy men of a certain age, and it seems that in Fundyland, men have more freedom to age naturally while women must maintain their appearance, despite having eleventy babies. I'm not picking on most guys my age, just the ones with double standards.)

Despite some of their random fundie leanings here and there I don't think they go hard on the modesty thing for either gender. The girls wear tight spaghetti strap tank tops and short shorts on the show. They do have a weird obsession with "manliness". On one episode of the show they talk about how they drag all their daughters to they all day wrestling matches of their brothers bc they want the girls to see "men being men". I thought that was super weird especially in context of it being their brothers. 

2 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

Despite some of their random fundie leanings here and there I don't think they go hard on the modesty thing for either gender. The girls wear tight spaghetti strap tank tops and short shorts on the show. They do have a weird obsession with "manliness". On one episode of the show they talk about how they drag all their daughters to they all day wrestling matches of their brothers bc they want the girls to see "men being men". I thought that was super weird especially in context of it being their brothers. 

Yeah, the no real modesty standards -especially for girls- was maybe the only thing I liked about them.

Honestly, I find that the siblings were too close for comfort, watching them made me uneasy at times. They should have close friends and boyfriends/girlfriends. I know they tried to make it look like the they're not isolated but I'm not buying it.

No one in the in right mind would want to marry into such a tight, enmeshed family. You'd still be an outsider twenty years and eighteen kids later!!

:digging-grave:

In a weird way this family reminds me of the Arndt family in their enmeshment. Everyone works in the family business. No hobbies that aren't approved by the parents. Social people but no obvious close friends and siblings are portrayed as the best of friends. 

That's my theory anyways, until a Willis marries and moves out 

On 5/4/2016 at 1:31 PM, QuiverDance said:

I watched 2 or possibly 3 episodes and completely agree with you.  One big difference between the Duggars scraping away on their instruments vs. the Willis clan - the Willis children seem to have musical talent and can carry a tune.  But I think the parents are weird and the show seemed forced and phony.  I think the producers may have even pushed the issue of the older boy seeking to be engaged.  I understand the engagement fell through -- maybe because the girl and her family really didn't care for the invasion of privacy and turning the whole engagement into a plot line.  I also cannot reconcile any parents deciding that every single one of their children will NOT attend college.  To purposely restrict your children from making their own decision in this regard gets a big side eye from me.

I got the impression regarding the broken heart pieces that his family is musical, performs and travels.  And that her family is musical, performs and travels.  And that no one thought about how it would work if one or the other had to leave and cleave the family business/group.

Dad in particular gives me an odd vibe.

S2 was much ado about...

Spoiler

black mold (spoilered in case someone really does care about s2).

which really didn't surprise me because that was what I said when they first started talking about their mystery issues.  

Yes, the dad in particular bugs me too.  Interesting thought re the engaged couple coming to a realization that one or the other might have to leave their family group and join the other --- and deciding "never mind." 

9 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I got the impression regarding the broken heart pieces that his family is musical, performs and travels.  And that her family is musical, performs and travels.  And that no one thought about how it would work if one or the other had to leave and cleave the family business/group.

That's what I thought. Except her family band is not as successful and I doubt the family would have allowed another girl to take away the spotlight from their precious daughters.

I found the dad creepy too, but especially towards the end of season 2 mama Willis was really rubbing me the wrong way. She seemed kind of mean.

S2 delves a bit more into 'roles in the band' issues.  (Dad rather bugged me during that as well since a younger had been picked by him to 'replace' someone nevermind 2 older sisters up front who might want the job.)

1 hour ago, EmmieJ said:

I watched 2 or possibly 3 episodes and completely agree with you.  One big difference between the Duggars scraping away on their instruments vs. the Willis clan - the Willis children seem to have musical talent and can carry a tune.  But I think the parents are weird and the show seemed forced and phony.  I think the producers may have even pushed the issue of the older boy seeking to be engaged.  I understand the engagement fell through -- maybe because the girl and her family really didn't care for the invasion of privacy and turning the whole engagement into a plot line.  I also cannot reconcile any parents deciding that every single one of their children will NOT attend college.  To purposely restrict your children from making their own decision in this regard gets a big side eye from me.

There's no reading lyrics off an iPhone in the Willis Clan :P

Mr. Willis (I think his name is Toby? I've watched two seasons of this show and I can't remember anyone's name except the son is Jeremy and the mother is Brenda, and one of the kids is named Jager [Jay-ger], and I always refer to him as Jäger, like the drink) irks me the most. One of the girls - I think her name is Jasmine? - has a problem with taking the lead in songs. She seems to have stage fright at the least. In one episode, he was pushing her to take the lead on a song during rehearsal and she was in tears because it freaked her out so much. He was pushing her because, on the off chance the lead singer daughter Jessica leaves the band, it's all her. She's not the second oldest daughter or anything, just was randomly picked. Mind you, no one was in the vicinity because it was a sound check, and this poor girl was in tears as she sang because the father was pushing her to do so.

So maybe your kids want to be in this family band that you forced them into. Great. But if she wants to play an instrument and stay in the background, let her. I understand pushing your kids to face their fears, but if it's a genuine fear that has them in tears, you're not helping them by pushing them to that point.

Note: I did say that I couldn't remember anyone's names. As I was typing, all these names of random members of the Willis Clan started popping into my head lmao

Your identification of names is not helped by the fact that most of them have a given name and a nickname (both beginning with J).  

• samurai_sarah featured and unfeatured this topic
  • samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived