IGNORED

According to this random guy, God hates strong fictional characters.

NerdyHil

17 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

Strong imaginary women are offensive? What the heck would he think about these real-life women?

• Boudica
  • Joan of Arc
  • The "Night Witches" of the 588th Night Bomber Regiment (Soviet Air Force)
  • Sophie Scholl ("White Rose")
  • The women of Sobibor, Auschwitz, and other hellcamps
  • Jane Swisshelm, journalist and women's rights activist
  • Malala Yousafzai
  • And thousands more....

A little off topic, but in high school I wrote a major essay about Sophie Scholl and the White Rose Resistance Group! I always get really excited when other people know about her too!!!!!!!!!!! She isn't taught in school curriculum very often. Luckily for me I got to pick an essay topic that wasn't part of our normal curriculum!

A poster, Nick Bulbeck, on The Wartburg Watch has written what could be the most insightful reason for Patriarchy ever, JMHO. 

This comes as a discussion of churches who won't support bartered wives turned to a patriarch's "letter to Rey," the heroine of the last Star Wars (for non/fans, Rey is VERY strong).

Soneone observed that Patriarchs don't write to real people, but to fictionals (shades of The Sisters Botkin and Disney heroines) and Nick Bulbeck wrote in part,

"... here’s an important truth behind this. Which is that, as Jeff S observed, patriarchy is about weak men pretending to be strong by creating a fantasy in which they are the heroes. To do this, they have to create fantasy women: that is, women who are helpless infants. Patriarchal leaders, IOW, are babies who sort of want to be big and grown up (most children do) but don’t want the painful and frightening process of becomingadults. Their answer is to demand that those around them be even more infantile than they are themselves. Then, the patriarchs can “protect” their babies from the pretend monsters under the bed. ..."

I'm trying to figure out who the audience is for this longform wankery. Surely not women. He can't possibly imagine any powerful woman--let alone Sigourney Weaver or Jennifer Lawrence or Charlize Theron--will read this and repent being or playing a badass. And are his guy friends likely to chime in and admit they, too, are terrified of independent females? So who? 

Most everyone on the site is involved with the Bayly bros church in Indiana, so maybe they just write for each other.

And, in closing, an actual tweet from the author: The phrase "neckbearded mansplainer" has almost lost all meaning for me.

Is the "Letter to Rey" the blog post that's being talked about in another thread--the one about the blog author who hates strong female fictional characters?

Maybe the Sisters Botkin should write to Rey, since they seem to have run out of blog topics.

On 19/04/2016 at 5:54 AM, FloraDoraDolly said:

He needs to open his own Bible to the Book of Judges and read about Jael driving a stake through Sisera's head.

yup that was where my mind went too! Or Deborah in that same story.  Or Miriam in the book of Exodus, saving her baby brother Moses with her quick thinking, and later on being described as a prophet and leader of Israel.  Or Esther, who risked her life to speak up for the Jewish nation. They may not all have physically fought in battles, but they were amazing women of God who LED and SAVED their people.

It sounds like he might get along with Lady Bibliophile. She thinks good heroines should help their men and serve their families. ladybibliophile.blogspot.com/2014/03/what-makes-good-heroine.html

By the way, this bit from her most recent post on boundaries in reading made me laugh:

But knowing our boundaries from God's Word before we are tested help us to stand firm before that fun series comes up, or the gay relationship, or the rebellious main character.

Maybe I missed it but I don't see anywhere on the article where you can leave a comment.  Is that site not set up to receive them or could he be afraid of the pushback?

I guess this is one asshole who won't be using paper money because it's going to have women on it. $20 bills are obviously banned because some uppity slave woman who didn't know her place is going to be on the front. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be happy to take those $20 bills from this douchebag.

Somewhat OT: Did anyone else see Octavia Spencer on Drunk History's Harriet Tubman episode? It was quite informative .

11 hours ago, EyeQueue said:

Is the "Letter to Rey" the blog post that's being talked about in another thread--the one about the blog author who hates strong female fictional characters?

yes it is

9 hours ago, Hane said:

Somewhat OT: Did anyone else see Octavia Spencer on Drunk History's Harriet Tubman episode? It was quite informative .

OMG. It was *hilarious*.

"Not to stir up any shit or whatever, but I know y'all are totally tired of being slaves."  "I'm a spy and I'm gonna burn this shit down." :pb_lol:

That's quickly become one of my favorite shows. We need to start a Drunk History thread (if there's not already one). I love me some Derek Waters.

:brainbleach: I have no idea what i just read. I must no understand what he was trying to say because I am just a scared helpless woman. I guess it's back to the kitchen for me. :2wankers:

Because I need all you fictional ladies to help me out. Because I suck. I’m passive. I’m weak. I don’t need more excuses. What I need is something to fight for, someone to fight for, someone to protect. If you rob me of that, you rob me of my dignity as a man.

So don’t be part of the conspiracy (led mostly by wicked men) to murder my motivation and crush out my will like a cigarette butt.

Yes to the bolded.

He's not even talking about a person criticizing him in real life. He thinks an imaginary person is making him weak.

Dude, your motivation to do good and worthwhile things in this world has to come from inside yourself.  Don't wait for something external to make you good.

If men are so strong and superior, how can a fictional character in a movie make them weak?

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:32 AM, older than allosaurs said:

I'm trying to figure out who the audience is for this longform wankery. Surely not women. He can't possibly imagine any powerful woman--let alone Sigourney Weaver or Jennifer Lawrence or Charlize Theron--will read this and repent being or playing a badass. And are his guy friends likely to chime in and admit they, too, are terrified of independent females? So who? 

Most everyone on the site is involved with the Bayly bros church in Indiana, so maybe they just write for each other.

And, in closing, an actual tweet from the author: The phrase "neckbearded mansplainer" has almost lost all meaning for me.

Well, to be fair, he isn't exactly talking to those women anyway. :pb_razz:

In his imaginary world, talking to their fictional characters - they may well be talking back ,agreeing with him, and ceasing their masculine ways. :pb_biggrin:

Faced with their real life counterparts - he'd probably shit a brick.  I have got to find a way to work "longform wankery" into a sentence!

6 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Well, to be fair, he isn't exactly talking to those women anyway. :pb_razz:

In his imaginary world, talking to their fictional characters - they may well be talking back ,agreeing with him, and ceasing their masculine ways. :pb_biggrin:

Faced with their real life counterparts - he'd probably shit a brick.  I have got to find a way to work "longform wankery" into a sentence!

I used it at a staff meeting today and it didn't go over very well.

OK, not really, but I should have. Those meetings tend toward longform wankery of the highest order sometimes. I mean, once you start talking about holding staff meetings for the purpose of coming up with ideas on how we can be more efficient.....:angry-banghead:

6 hours ago, EyeQueue said:

I used it at a staff meeting today and it didn't go over very well.

OK, not really, but I should have. Those meetings tend toward longform wankery of the highest order sometimes. I mean, once you start talking about holding staff meetings for the purpose of coming up with ideas on how we can be more efficient.....:angry-banghead:

I once had to take a three-day course on how to hold meetings. The presenters were so irony-impared they emphasized the importance of keeping them as short as possible.

3 minutes ago, paganbaby said:

I once had to take a three-day course on how to hold meetings. The presenters were so irony-impared they emphasized the importance of keeping them as short as possible.

LOL! Who'd a thunk it? :pb_lol:

ETA: And I just had this gem come across our staff email list the other day: "Consider serving on the Committee on Committees." (Yes--I shit you not).

Just now, EyeQueue said:

LOL! Who'd a thunk it? :pb_lol:

I'm not kidding. We spent a whole day on the proper use of flip charts.

On 4/19/2016 at 10:24 AM, ladyamylynn said:

Did anyone scroll to the end of the article and check out his photo? Dude's not exactly a superior physical specimen himself. 

Exactly! I found his facebook page, and jeez. I mean I think we all need to get beyond judging other people's bodies. I don't use the term "neck beard" for that same reason. But if you're going to go off on "the ladies" telling them they have to be all weak and insipid then at least you should be applying the same doctrine to yourself and at least, I don't know, hit the gym ever once in a while so you could actually be prepared for this supposedly god assigned task. 

I think he's lazy and feels a little bad about it, and seeing these fit, capable women in the movies constantly pokes at his insecurity that he can't actually defend anyone. 

This really stood out to me:

And what about all the girls and women out there who want to be godly, awesome, beautiful, feminine women? What about them?

Well, what about them? Nothing about being godly, awesome, beautiful, and feminine precludes being strong, competent, intelligent, and capable. That's all on you, little buddy.*

*I'm sure he wouldn't take this as patronizing, because I don't think it is, and therefore it could not possibly be. :roll:

Archived