• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
samurai_sarah

Introduce yourself- Part 3

207 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Bob Mackie said:

Can't find the thread now to thank the poster.

Hi and welcome to FJ.  This may be the thread you wanted: 

If not, just go to the search box on the upper right and enter "Jessiqua" using the drop down menu to select "All content."  She seems to have been coming up a lot recently. :)

Hi,

I wanted to introduce myself.   I was born and raised in a Duggar like, fundamentalist similar cult.  It wasn't Quiverfull, but I still consider myself lucky to have escaped somehow at age 29.  Now, almost 20 years later, I find I still have a lot of negative issues holding me back relating to this previous life.  I am finding some comfort in educating myself more about how these cults/religions/whatever name you prefer work and how they affect people.  I am looking forward to reading the comments of this group and interacting with all of you.

Nice to "meet" you, @starbuck3614:) Welcome to Free Jinger!

Howdy, looong time lurker here. Finally decided I should make an account to join in on the fun. What finally brought me out of lurkdom? Wanting to share the utter silliness of a picture of Izzy Dillard with a tortilla on his head. Don't ask me why that of all things tipped me over into getting an account after all these years. 

Also, after being married for almost 5 years and doing a lot of reading and growing as a person, I feel a bit of an odd one out in my church circles. I feel waaaay more liberal and less fundie than most of the people I grew up with, and am significantly less conservative than most of the people currently at my church. It's hard not having anyone else besides my husband to talk really freely with. FJ has been a refreshing place for me to read interesting discussion and fun thread drift. 

Hey everyone, I'm DesiLu (huge I Love Lucy can since I was a kid).   I'm from San Francisco and have lived here all my life.  I was a teen mom and am now a young grandma with 2 very cute grandkids.  I'm also an atheist so the Duggars and their religious beliefs have always confused, fascinated and horrified me. 

I was actually one of the first people to register here back in the day. I think I was the 11th person to sign up.  I think my screen name was Beezus something but for the life of me I couldn't remember my sign in info so I started over.  

On 9/5/2017 at 9:09 PM, Palimpsest said:

Hi and welcome to FJ.  This may be the thread you wanted: 

If not, just go to the search box on the upper right and enter "Jessiqua" using the drop down menu to select "All content."  She seems to have been coming up a lot recently. :)

Thank you very much Palimpsest

Hi All!  knew about this site for a while, but never really checked it out until recently. FELL way down the rabbit hole. Spend most of my time on RVfull of Grifting.   Jill Rod makes the Duggars seem practically mainstream.   I was kicked off the Pickles site a while ago for being "truthful."  Hey I like snark as much as the next one, and I certainly disagree with a lot of the doctrine (or lack thereof) that many fundamental Christians adhere to.  Its too legalistic and judgmental, IMHO.   Any ways... I found that site to be just plain mean spirited and even scary at times -- and I felt like it often drifts into the realm of stalking/making fun of people who haven't willingly created or purposely entered the public arena where they become fair game (thru TV or public blogs, websites, etc). In stead of good-natured discussion/snark among intelligent human beings who could agree to disagree at times, it got to be downright scary and group think.  And being a former journalist, truth matters to me. So while I could snark along with some things, when people  pass out accusations, imaginings and outright lies as truth, that didn't seem fair.  Criticism just for criticism sake is pointless to me.  And goodness, knows there is plenty of REAL issues to be critical off. 

In the last two weeks since I've joined the following have made me LOL:  Pink Weenie gravy, a posters recap about what happens when people start discussion the food/lack there of served at Duggars weddings, and TONS of stuff on Jill R.   Mostly I feel sorry for the ROD kids. 

About me:  early 50s, PR professional (former journalist), grew up in conservative Christianity (still have lots of family and friends ) but not fundie-ism by any measure.  A church-going Christian and I love my faith. Believe that God is bigger than the name over the door (of whatever particular house of worship you attend)...currently attend a Catholic Church (and am very involved, although i don't like labels and don't consider myself Catholic either)...and I believe there is lots of room for discussion when it comes to "organized religion" 

So far I love the site, the witty banter and I think I'll stay!