IGNORED

Introduce Yourself- Part 3

samurai_sarah

Hi all, I am a new member, but have read here for several years. I was raised in a conservative Hindu family, but I am now an atheist. I am always interested in differing points of view, and Intelligent discussion. I also enjoy dark humor, witty retorts, and clever swearing. I am a scientist, a mom and a feminist. I also love cars, very fast cars.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

Hi another new member here, have been lurking for a while but finally joined up last month. I am  a full time carer for my eldest who has severe autism.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Hello! I'm Elroy, and I've been lurking for about a week, when I fell into what I call a "fundie hole." About once or twice a year I check out NLQ or some other ex-fundie site and end up sucked into a plethora of forum browsing and wiki-walking. A similar thing happens with true crime, which I call a "murder hole." I've heard about freejinger for years from other sites I was checking out but never actually dove in until recently!

I don't know if I'll be posting much or if I'll come back around again when I next fall into a fundie hole, but you all seem like cool people! I'm ex-Catholic (in the least dramatic fashion), Canadian, and a lady despite my name and avatar.

• Upvote 5

Hello and kia ora everyone, FJ has been my lurky procrastination happy place while trying to finish my PhD and now it's finally done (apart from the exam) I've rewarded myself by joining up! Grew up Presbyterian and a part time churchgoer today and really looking forward to being a part of the diverse and insightful opinions shared. I'm of New Zealand and Pacific ethnicity,  (I won't say where cause it's not a huge place) and I wake up happy everyday as I have a (humble) home in each place. This sort of balances the fact my health is quite crap much of the time. I love my work in research and organisational development looking at the impact of government policies on ethnic minority communities  and I am encouraged and inspired by our new Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern (ex LDS)!  On the other hand horrified by New Zealand's own super fundie Brian Tamaki -  not sure who on FJ you could compare him to but totally worth a google!

Still learning on here and pondering things like  how to given enough info and context  in posts without being too wordy?  Advice/mentoring gratefully received!  Also need to learn how to quote others and get an avatar and  but I know there's instructions for that!

• Upvote 11

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

I escaped fundy-ness in the mid 2000s after two dreadful failed courtships finally opened my eyes.  I'm from a mid-size homeschool family and I've just about see it all.  I'm going to have to be purposefully vague, as most of my family is deeply entrenched in the movement and I don't really want to hurt them.  Yet I'm also on here as I would like to see my siblings and others escape the movement buy helping shine some light on the crackpots in the lead.  I don't plan on being on here much, lacking the time.

Let's start with my bona fides:

• Family started homeschooling in the 80's - check
  • Featured on the cover of the teaching home magazine -check
  • IBLP/ATI(A) - check
  • Parents in senior leadership of the state homeschool organization - check
  • On a first name basis with Mike Ferris, Doug Phillips, Greg Harris, Little Bear Wheeler, Ken Ham and others - check  
  • Was a self righteous stuck up kid of homeschool leaders - Check
  • Had a sister creeped on by Doug Phillips - Check

And awards:

• Graduate (lol) of the Witherspoon School of Law and Public Policy 
  • Survived the Indianapolis Training Center
  • Learned the "True History of the United States (with slightly southern overtones)" during a Faith & Freedom Tour
  • Successful homeschool survivor - Certified!

I'm still Christian and want to continue building my faith, but boy has the stuff above screwed me up.

Edited by RulerOfTheQueensNavy
  • Upvote 17

Hi I’m Caskett. My username comes from my love of Castle and Beckett on the TV show Castle, not for burying dead people. I’m currently studying accounting at a Midwestern university. I’ve grown up in the Methodist church. While I absolutely love the small (fairly liberal) church I grew up in and still attend occasionally when I’m back home, I would say that I am more of a deist with my religious beliefs (I believe there is a God but that that God doesn’t interfere with the world). I’ve been lurking for a while now (since around the time that Jill Dillard got married). The Duggars, Bates, and Maxwells are the main families I follow. I’m excited to be here!

• Upvote 8

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I watched the very first Duggar special in 2004 and have been hooked on the circus show ever since. I've lurked on threads on TWOP (I think) and FJ for close to 10 years. I will disclose that I am autistic and the Duggars and other fundamentalists are my special interest and I spend way too much time thinking about them.  I've wanted to make a profile several dozen times, but I feel like I may be too sensitive for this forum. The new feature of upvotes and downvotes also terrifies me! My biggest fear is offending someone because what I'm trying to say doesn't come out right. So, all that said, maybe one day I'll join in on a discussion.

Nice to meet you all!

• Upvote 16

Hey hey, I'm Astronot. I've been lurking for awhile, and finally decided it's about time I just joined in on the conversation. My rabbit holes of choice are the Rodrigues and Anderson families, but I generally keep up on the big Duggar/Bates "milestones".

Uhhh, some random crap about me;

I'm a 21 year old girl living near the mountains in the middle of nowhere raisin' livestock and wondering why all my crops die (spoiler: I never remember to water them). My family has been raising livestock since 1990-- fun fact; my great-great+ grandfather use to raise pull teams, but after the John Deere tractors came he was stuck with over 100 equines and no buyers, he swore he'd never own an equine again. I've actually been the first in the family to own them since, (1 donkey, 1 horse, impulsive kill pen rescues). My livestock of choice are fainting goats and long horn cattle, but I'm still experimenting, and trying to decide how I want to run my ranch and whatnot. 

Also I wanted to be an astronaut as a kid, but I'm not. :my_rolleyes:

• Upvote 7

Hey! I found FJ several months ago and have been lurking since and I have learned much! I've always been interested in religion(s) and my major in university was religious studies (full disclosure I finished my major but dropped out 7 distribution credits from a full degree :pb_sad:).  I continue to be fascinated by religion though and am glad I got to study it in an academic setting that emphasized critical thinking. 

A few years ago I fell into a Duggar birthing marathon crater on TLC and I suppose I have yet to get out of that. I had known about them and passed them off as crazy. But I got sucked in and was amazed and so so curious and I also remembered that just passing people you don't agree with off as crazy or stupid isn't that productive. 

One of the earliest questions I had, even before I really started caring, was What is their Curriculum? You will never find this out watching the show or on TV. Through FJ I found out about ATi/IBLP...finally! What a revelation. I also got my hands on their books  One of the things that interested me was the constant reference to the Operational Definitions of Character Qualities chart from ATI. I wont get into it now but that and the wisdom booklets blow my mind.

So my username is CaricatureQualities as a play on the term "character qualities" as used by fundies and because caricature refers to exaggeration of some things and oversimplifications of others. I think fundamentalists make a caricature of their own religion.

• Upvote 13

Hi there fj.  I am a retired business owner now living in log house by a beautiful river in the mountains.  Downside being no internet other than phone.   I left my first husband as he "got saved", put up with it for some years, till his dumbass self came home one day and informed  me that as a penis he was headship  and The Boss!!!!!! WTF!  I thought  great, we are doomed because he truly is stupid.  Really stupid as   In can't take him anywhere!!!  Free jinger is great, I feel you great people understand what a nightmare I went through.  Have go put wood on the fire, it's -28 Celsius tonite.  Luv all of you

• Upvote 8

• 3 weeks later...

I recently fell down the deep ole fundie hole, watching Counting On and BUB on TV...then looking for 17 Kids and Counting and Unites Bates of America on YouTube.

I have so many questions, but a big one is: How does the "pieces of your heart" theory work with 19 kids? If your heart is a finite commodity that can only be given away once, how do you have enough love for that many children? Don't you run out? What if you give away too much heart to your firstborn? 

How do these Quiverfull and courting types square that contradiction?

• Upvote 6

They probably say loving your spouse and loving your kids is a different kind of love. I think Gil Bates said something about the love being multiplied as the number of kids grows. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Jane the Virgin said:

How do these Quiverfull and courting types square that contradiction?

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I think Gil Bates said something about the love being multiplied as the number of kids grows. 

That's also the title of Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar's 2011 book:  A Love That Multiplies: An Up-Close View of How They Make it Work

• Upvote 2

Hi there fj, I'm Crooked, a fairly new user....longterm lurker lol. My username comes from a saying my seventh day adventist  Gma used. "A crooked stick draws a straight" , may be totally off on that. 

Can someone help/correct me... is it a crooked stick draws a straight line ? Any way it always caused me to stifle laughter and think wtf in my head.. "still waters run deep" inspired a video feed from a " Still Waters Run Deep, Non Denominational Independent Religious Temple"

I'm an atheist, out since 15  (very near half my life)

extended fam is independent baptist and fundemental baptist 

Edited by Crooked.Stick
Add age identifier
  • Upvote 6

Hello everyone! I am a longtime lurker who was raised IFB and is now agnostic. I have one husband, two daughters, and one feline headship. 

I cannot remember how I found FJ, but I suspect it was Kristina of the Arby's engagement. Her blog fascinated and repelled me. I've followed the Duggars for a while and still remember watching their very first TV special. Who ever knew they would come as far as they have? I am also intrigued by the boring old Maxwell family, as well as terrifying Lori Alexander.

I am happy to be here on FJ and look forward to participating in this forum!

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Crooked.Stick said:

Can someone help/correct me... is it a crooked stick draws a straight line ?

If found this blog post that has 3 or 4 quotations that fit that. Hopefully one of them is the one your grandma was using. :)

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I might have introdused myself in an earlier thread, as I have revived a user that has been sleeping for some time.

I’m from “the other side of the pond”, where ice bears walk in the streets. Or so the story says... 

Soon turning 40. Living with my boyfriend in sin, no children or animals.

First time I came by FJ it was through the Google God, googling something regarding the Duggars.

I find this rabbit hole very fascinating and interesting. Luckily I am able to get out of the hole sometimes...

• Upvote 5

Another n00b here, I've lurked here for a while, it seems a respectful and fun community. I doubt I will have very much to say, but registering seemed like the decent thing to do.

I'm a Dutch national, and  I'm from a Dutch Calvinist background. What we call "black stocking church" here. Many of my Dad's side of the family were of the no telly no insurance no vaccinations kind. Yes, this happens in the Netherlands too.

I became an Atheist some 40 years ago and I'm well past the bitterness stage now. I have Asperger's, I throw pottery on the wheel, consider myself a feminist.

I've lived in Antwerp, Belgium for the last 18 years. Contrary to what you may have been told, there are no no-go zones in Belgium, and the capital Brussels is not a hell-hole.

• Upvote 11

• 1 month later...

Former VF follower. My family started attending events in about '05. I became disenfranchised with the movement around '07 because of shit that happened at Jamestown where I was part of the "Final 100", worked with the interns and got a first hand view of the real Doug. I was shouting that the emperor wore no clothes, even back when I still beleived in the stuff DP claimed to stand for. I was vocal enough that reffie mom's started calling me "The Heathen Apostle", hence the handle. I got out before Doug got busted, and have questions about stuff I heard about but was never confirmed. Saw a bunch of shit, went through a bunch of shit. Definitely would like to connect with other former VFers who are on here now.

• Upvote 12

• 2 weeks later...

Another of the No TV, long dresses, crown of glory hair, childhood club here.  And proud Aspie. Hi :my_biggrin:

• Upvote 5

Hi! Welcome!

14 hours ago, TooTired2bOriginal said:

Another of the No TV, long dresses, crown of glory hair, childhood club here.  And proud Aspie. Hi :my_biggrin:

I was just commenting to my husband this weekend that I feel as though I grew up in another country in some ways - we were listening to greatest hits from the decade of our teens and I had never even heard most of the songs. Maybe I should return the feeling with a greatest hymns playlist?!

Neurodiversity welcome here - we’re all different and have different experiences and ways of understanding things, so you’ll see lots of questions and people challenging others about what they’ve said or the way they said it. Most people read and lurk for a while to get a feel for the way discussions are handled here.

I look forward to ‘seeing’ you around on the forum as you join the conversations here.

• Upvote 5

I first watched the precious, inspirational Duggars on TLC when mother of the year Michelle was pregnant with blessing number 15. Her speeh about having too many children is like saying there are too many flowers in the garden inspired me. She was such a fashion forward fashionista with her "higher the hair, the closer to God" hairstyle. Her makeup was so on fleek, I couldn't contain myself. Her grown up voice and the fact she delivered and raised everyone of her children is a blessing to me. She quickly became my role model and I wanted to surround myself with like minded people who love these wonderful, precious, awesome, inspirational people, totally.

Tater tots casserole for all my new blessings during this season of life.

Long live our Lord and Savior, Rufus!

:brainbleach:

fcapa1 (1).png

Edited by JillRodsEyeliner
I forgot to mention our Lord and Savior, Rufus!
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I’m a former seriously crunchy, vegan, home-birthing, commune dwelling, off-grid, pagan, resident of the PNW. I’ve evolved through many iterations and now I’m just a fairly run of the mill omnivore, agnostic, that loves running water, thinks flipping a switch and getting light is fucking awesome, and will go without high speed internet if I have to but I really don’t like it.

I also LOVE music and listen to heavy metal, hard-rock & hip-hop most of the time. But I also listen to the blues, blue-grass & folk. Easy access to amazing music has been one of the best things about living in Mississippi, just across the border from Memphis TN. It has probably saved my sanity & my life.

I am raising/have raised 2 sons, 8 step-children, 14 rescue dogs, a rescue ferret, and 17 foster kids. (Not counting siblings & cousins.)

I relocated to Mississippi almost 2 decades ago. I was raised as the chief slave with a servant’s heart (barf) of a woman very much like Jill Rodrigues. I was also her care-giver during her last 5 years of life. That is how I ended up in Mississippi.

I didn’t have my first baby until I was 29 because by the time I escaped at 18 I had been taking care of babies & children for 15 years already. I needed a break. My boys are 4.5 years apart.

I am 50 and my current husband is 10 years younger. We are in the process of relocating to Montana. That’s where my family of origin is from. 

I’m not sure how I found FJ but I have always been fascinated by fundamentalists, cults, etc and the wtfuggery of the Duggers just sealed the deal. I kept coming back to read here because the members are such a diverse group of witty, intelligent, open-minded, accepting people that tend not to put up with bullshit and will call people on it, but also get over it quickly and move on. I’ve learned how to be a better person reading here. Thank you!

I am also a proud Aspie! (with PTSD, ADHD(combined type), major depression, dyslexia, severe asthma, a bleeding disorder, insufficient immune system, PCOS, and other various issues. Hooray for neuro & bio diversity!)

Edited by Godless Slūt
Changed wording
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Hi to everyone!

Lurker since 2015, finally (and bravely),  I decided today to join FJ. English is not my first language, but I will try to explain myself my best... if I dare to post.:pb_lol:

• Upvote 6