SportsgalAnnie

What was your First?

Favorite?

Want To see?

What was your First? Wicked

Favorite? Wicked

Want To see? Hamilton

The first Broadway show that I actually saw on Broadway was "The Producers." 

I want to see "The Book of Mormon" (I see it is on TPAC's schedule) and "Hamilton."

I have too many favorites, but a quick scan of my memory brings these to the top (all at TPAC):

Mamma Mia; Cinderella (Rodgers & Hammerstein - a blast from the past); Phantom of the Opera; Wicked (glad I had read the book first);  Motown (loved it!)

the TPAC is bigger then most broadway theaters :) I love seeing shows there 

What was your First? Phantom of the Opera

Favorite? Wicked or The Lion King (that was a *grand* extravaganza)

Want To see? Hamilton

These are actually "Broadway" productions (all on tour--I've never been to NY). I go to a lot of local community theatre, and my headship and daughter are *totally* into musicals. TBH, I don't really care for them all that much. I find most of them hokey, with a few exceptions.

**I *really* like Chess. I love the music and the story and have a sort of perverse cold-war nostalgia.

**A really good show I saw a few years back was called Bare. It was a rock opera with fantastic music and was about a gay student at a Catholic boarding school and being on the downlow. Very contemporary and topical. Did I mention the music is great?

**I liked Cabaret when I saw a local community theatre production of it.

**I LOVE The Drowsy Chaperone. I had never heard of it, but my daughter was actually in a production of it when she was in junior high (and the quality of that production actually rivaled many of the adult community theatre productions I've seen of other shows). It's just a hilarious show with some good music and a wry meta-commentary dimension to it.

**I don't know if I could ever sit through another production of Les Mis. My daughter was in a community theatre production of it two years ago, and we also saw it at another local theatre, so I'm about Les Mis'd out.

**I don't care for the oldies, like Oklahoma, Pajama Game, etc. I think they're really hokey.

**I'll watch kids/teens do whatever, because I like seeing them onstage performing (and I have directed youth musicals and Shakespeare plays in my area).

The first show I was was Borstal Boy 'way back when I was in high school. Yes, I am old.

Current favorites are Hamilton and Book of Mormon (which I just saw for the second time--it should be the Official Musical of FreeJinger).

10 hours ago, Mary C Doates said:

The first show I was was Borstal Boy 'way back when I was in high school. Yes, I am old.

Current favorites are Hamilton and Book of Mormon (which I just saw for the second time--it should be the Official Musical of FreeJinger).

I love Book of Mormon! It's coming here in November :)

• 5 weeks later...

First on Broadway was the most recent revival of West Side Story. I was a freshman in high school, and I didn't really care for it.

I have waaaay too many favorites to list. I'm very obsessed with musicals.

Of the shows that are currently on Broadway, I want to see Hamilton (and I will, in 120 days!), Wicked, Something Rotten!, School of Rock, Phantom of the Opera (only when they take out the trash and get rid of James Barbour), Shuffle Along, Waitress, Fun Home, and Tuck Everlasting.

On Broadway, I've seen West Side Story, this revival of Les Miserables five times, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, and Hedwig and the Angry Inch twice. Through touring production, I've seen Avenue Q and Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan twice.

On 4/14/2016 at 4:51 PM, SportsgalAnnie said:

the TPAC is bigger then most broadway theaters :) I love seeing shows there 

That's my only problem with seeing touring productions of shows. Here, I think the biggest is the Bushnell, and it's huge! My favorite thing about Broadway is that most of the theaters have between 900 and 1,200 seats (with a few exceptions). I just love the intimacy of a Broadway theater. For example, GGLAM is going to the Bushnell with it's 3,707 seats in the fall, but the Walter Kerr where it was on Broadway only has 975.

I like the bigger size theaters, It allows the actors to have more space and sometimes like "Motown" it makes the message more effective. 

I have two family members in the industry and I'm spoiled as I've been comped tickets for shows they've worked on.  I also know way too much about the ins and outs of the industry.

Because of this, I'm spoiled.   

Most recent show I've seen is Tuck Everlasting (while still in previews).  

On 5/24/2016 at 11:57 AM, 19 cats and counting said:

I have two family members in the industry and I'm spoiled as I've been comped tickets for shows they've worked on.  I also know way too much about the ins and outs of the industry.

I am learning a lot about the industry and love it! Can't say much else without exposing my identity 

On 5/24/2016 at 11:57 AM, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm so sad that Tuck closed. Ugh. As much as I love Hamilton, I don't think it's bringing new people to Broadway to see other shows. Everyone's obsessed with this one new one, and other shows are suffering. I so wanted to see Tuck this summer, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to spend a couple weeks of summer in Harlem. I took classes at Dance Theatre of Harlem or it Aily's outreach program. I can't remember which. My aunt would schlep me around the first couple days, and then I was on my own. These were the gritty years of Time Square. I saw 42nd Street because it was a tap heavy show. When my aunt got off work at Macy's, we'd take a bus back to Harlem. I got so excited pointing out all the movies for .25! That was my introduction to the seedy side of midtown.

Favorite: Les Miserables because I read the novel for my French independant study. I've seen it London, Atlanta, NYC twice.  

Diva Power: Gypsy with Patti Lupone, y'all 

Tear inducing: The Lion King 

Forgot the name: Chita Rivera story of her life

cute revival: Hairspray w/Harvey Fierstein 

Wicked B'way original cast, 3 traveling shows

Dance heavy: Tap Dogs, Bring in da noise

Underrated show: Bombay Dreams

Np Plot: Cats FL, GA ang NYC

Pretty, pretty please: Hamilton, Shuffle Along..., The Color Purple

I don't get to go to Broadway much anymore, too expensive. 

What was your First? Totally dating myself here. The original Broadway production of The Sound of Music with Mary Martin and Theodore Bikel. My grandfather took me. I remember being realy pissed when the movie came out because they cut my favorite song (No Way to Stop It) and added some cheesy new ones.

Favorite? Drama: Electra with Zoe Wanamaker. Musical: the Lincoln Center revival of Carousel. Very dark production. It's my favorite R&H musical and the overture is one of my favorite pieces of music, period. 

Want To see? I'd love to go back in time and see the original production of West Side Story. Not really sure what else is around but I prefer drama to musicals (they don't write 'em like they used to.) I'd sort of like to see Hamilton but TBH, it's not my kind of music so I think I'd be twitching by intermission. 

I'm with y'all Hamilton - it's not just hip hop there is a wide variety of genres sampled. Sparkles, check out Say No To This for one of the great R&B tracks of the past several years, or You'll Be Back for Classic Brit Pop. If you haven't given the soundtrack a listen because of the genre I recommend giving it a chance - it's really pretty great and a learning experience! Anyways, no dice on tix yet but I feel confident I can pick some up when the production starts in Chicago this fall.

Speaking of Chicago, that is a musical I would like to see!

Broadway - Les Miserable, Motown the Musical

West End - The Phantom of the Opera, We Will Rock You

Broadway in Chicago - The Last Ship, Book of Mormon

I love theater, I need to get out and see more shows!

I've never been to Broadway, but I saw the LA production of Phantom of the Opera.

My favorite show so far is Wicked.

Next,I want to see Hamilton, probably when it's in LA.

@ADoyle90815 I do hope when the touring cast comes to L.A., they do an extended engagement. I don't want to be boxed out by the celebs, big wigs, and the connected people in town. We ham & eggers need a chance, too.

What was your First? For a touring production: the First National Tour of RENT. Actually on Broadway, Wicked, back in 2010. Won the lottery, in fact! We followed that up by seeing Hair and Everyday Rapture, both of which I loved. 

Favorite? All-Time Fave: Into the Woods. Other favorites: Hamilton, In the Heights, Waitress, Beautiful the Carole King Musical, The Mystery of Edwin Drood (revival), Altar Boyz, RENT, Les Mis.

Want To see? Hamilton, Waitress and the touring production of Beautiful. 

Ok guys, I'm in New York Monday night and I want to see a show. I'm putting in to get Hamilton lotto tix but will likely buy a ticket to Chicago as back-up. But if you have other shoe suggestions let me know I'm open to any on or off Broadway productions!

Archived