IGNORED

Miss Raquel's 2nd Novel - Part 3

samurai_sarah

Anyone else super creeped out by the idea that God writes out people's lives? It seems like the kind of idea you can only hold if you're completely oblivious to other people and the wider world. I think about small children, killed by those who should care for them or born with diseases like Tay-Sachs, which ends their lives too soon and in a horrible manner. I think about things like Hiroshima or those experimented on in concentration camps. I think about disasters like Lake Nyos or people swallowed by sink holes or mud slides, and then I look at Raquel. Who claims to believe in a merciful, all-loving God, who also deliberately designed all those things. What kind of sicko is her God?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Terrie, this is one thing that always bothered me about God. When I would ask pastors about it, they gave pretty useless answers like "but God gives free will" or "there's sin in the world"... Etc. Um, okay, that's not helpful, nor does it explain anything. 

Remember last month when Raquel wrote this?

So many people say that hard relationships just don't work out.
Well, I disagree.
Because if you pick the right person, sure it will be hard (I promise you that), but it can - and will - work out because you BOTH are making an effort to work through things TOGETHER.
That's what relationships are all about.  Doing things together.  Learning to be selfless.  Learning about each other.  Learning how to complement one another.
If you choose to be with someone who has a good heart, good intentions, and is willing to labor through whatever hardships life throws your way, you're off to a good start.

Well today she wrote this:

Too often we get caught up in trying to make things work, to make relationships work, to feel that connection, when in reality, maybe it's not supposed to exist. 
Maybe not for right now. 
Maybe not ever. 

It is like she can't make up her mind. Did she already get bored with the latest boy toy and decide to toss him and is coming up with a justification for why she didn't try to make this relationship work? 

You make hard relationships work, unless I decide there's no real connection and kick you to the curb

In other news on Twitter she is saying that she will "literally' bawl if New Girl Ends (she's binge watching it)

Haven't been around in a while, missed our Raquel threads.

It's funny how Raquel got one shitty tattoo like a week ago and she's acting like she's been tatted up for decades

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 1.26.35 PM.png

So that we don't forget the self-esteem issues she has with her writing.  (yes that should be read dripping with sarcasm)

Capture 2.JPG

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

So that we don't forget the self-esteem issues she has with her writing.  (yes that should be read dripping with sarcasm)

Capture 2.JPG

I just saw that and couldn't post it for a few minutes, because I had to wait until my eyes stopped rolling around in my head....

Seriously, girl needs to read some really good literature, and maybe then she'll realise her writing isn't all that.

12 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Remember last month when Raquel wrote this?

Well today she wrote this:

It is like she can't make up her mind. Did she already get bored with the latest boy toy and decide to toss him and is coming up with a justification for why she didn't try to make this relationship work? 

I don't think it's a matter of making up her mind, but more a matter of her being allergic to work and effort. She'll talk a big talk about how much EFFORT and WORK relationships need, but in reality, when her relationships are anything less than a Nicholas Sparks montage, she packs up her toys and flounces home.

Effort and work are for the guy, because he's the God-appointed leader. If she actually has to do stuff, he's not Godly enough for her.

Why wouldn't she recognize her own writing? And ITA, Raquel would't recognize good writing if it hit her on the head. Raquel doesn't actually appear to read that much. Sure she read the Fault in Our Stars, but she never really posts about reading anything that isn't super trendy. 

Raquel is a good example of why it's a bad idea to praise kids by calling them smart. Being a "good writer" is the keystone of Raquel's self-image, perhaps even more so than being a Christian. She has the proof of it in the volume of work she manages to produce (seriously, I wish I managed to update my blog nearly as often as she does) and the amount of attention it receives (though I suspect the bulk of her blog hits are us). Because of this, she has little motivation to get better -- she's already "good".

Improving as a writing is not fun, because it means challenging oneself. Reading material at the boundaries of your comprehension level is hard and less immediately enjoyable than reading easy stuff. Seeking out real criticism is harder than just asking for feedback, and then hearing somebody poke holes in something you did your best on and put your soul into can be heartbreaking and humiliating. But I think that the fact she sees herself as a "good writer" has more to do with it: improvement would mean taking an honest look at what she does and seeing how facile and thoughtless it is. At her maturity level, throwing away the security blanket and humbling herself to that degree would be very hard, probably impossible. Children who are told they're "smart" invariably reach a point where they find out there's somebody smarter: at which point they have to find something else to bolster their identity, or stick their head in the sand. Guess which one Raquel's doing.

On 4/15/2016 at 8:39 AM, clueliss said:

THAT IS NOT A POEM!

I like the typo pome.  I think we should start calling whatever it is Raquel writes pomes because they certainly aren't poems ;)

45 minutes ago, sea_gale said:

(seriously, I wish I managed to update my blog nearly as often as she does) 

Lower your standards and start writing pomes and you too can update your blog constantly. :kitty-wink: Raquel goes for quantity, not quality. 

16 hours ago, ari_belle said:

Haven't been around in a while, missed our Raquel threads.

It's funny how Raquel got one shitty tattoo like a week ago and she's acting like she's been tatted up for decades

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 1.26.35 PM.png

shouldn't that be I have A tattoo?

She probably thinks she has 3 tattoos instead of one.  

And Raquel - most of us, outside fundie worlds that is, do not consider Christianity and being inked mutually exclusive.  Perhaps you are the one who needs to get your own mind out of narrow-minded thinking.  

17 hours ago, sea_gale said:

Seeking out real criticism is harder than just asking for feedback, and then hearing somebody poke holes in something you did your best on and put your soul into can be heartbreaking and humiliating. But I think that the fact she sees herself as a "good writer" has more to do with it: improvement would mean taking an honest look at what she does and seeing how facile and thoughtless it is.

I have an art degree. I am not currently an artist, and I have mixed feelings about my whole college experience. That said, one thing I will forever be grateful for is that I know how to give and gracefully accept critique. Critiquing is a skill. A good critique partner is an invaluable resource. If Raquel stumbled into someone who can do it, they would leave quickly, because you need to be able to accept that sometimes what you did just isn't as good as you thought it was. Or deal with how people often interpret things WILDLY differently than what you intended. Throwing a hissy fit because people didn't say what you wanted does not earn you friends.

Though as far as writing goes, it helps that my mom is the kind of editor who will gleefully rip things apart. A trait I inherited. :twisted: Oh, how I wish I could take a red pen to so many things.

ETA: Raquel, nobody give a shit if you have tattoos or not. You're about 60 or so years too late to be making bold statements by getting inked.

41 minutes ago, Shoobydoo said:

ETA: Raquel, nobody give a shit if you have tattoos or not. You're about 60 or so years too late to be making bold statements by getting inked.

Right? I have a friend who teaches public high school math. She has pi tattooed in a spiral around her arm with each number getting smaller as it goes. It's a full sleeve and she doesn't have to cover it up at work. Ink is not the rebellion it was when I got my first one.

12 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

Right? I have a friend who teaches public high school math. She has pi tattooed in a spiral around her arm with each number getting smaller as it goes. It's a full sleeve and she doesn't have to cover it up at work. Ink is not the rebellion it was when I got my first one.

:pb_surprised: That is an awesome tattoo.

I'm actually kind of surprised that Raquel could sit for a tattoo.  She doesn't strike me as the kind of person that deals with pain well.   I'm good with pain and the thought of sitting for a tattoo, even on a flashy area which supposedly hurts less, is a non-starter for me.

I watch several of those tattoo competition shows (Ink Master and whathaveyou) and just watching people get them makes me uncomfortable.

28 minutes ago, Curious said:

I'm actually kind of surprised that Raquel could sit for a tattoo.  She doesn't strike me as the kind of person that deals with pain well.   I'm good with pain and the thought of sitting for a tattoo, even on a flashy area which supposedly hurts less, is a non-starter for me.

I watch several of those tattoo competition shows (Ink Master and whathaveyou) and just watching people get them makes me uncomfortable.

I agree with you. But I think you're forgetting that it's easier to get through the pain when it's a holy tattoo that shows you're holy. :my_angel:

G is greater than infinity. 

I'm sure this is just me and my immature mind, but when I read the line about needing relief from the scorching fire it reminded me of euphemisms I've heard for STDs and UTIs. I know that's not normal, but it made me laugh because mentally I am 12 sometimes.

Also her tattoo is amazing. Please let her get two more next month like she wants.

Also, re: tattoo pain:

A tattoo as small as Raquel's only takes about 20 minutes to ink and really doesn't hurt much at all. The pain is really minimal and if they gave her numbing gel for it it's such a fast and easy tattoo that she wouldn't have really had the chance for the cream to wear off due to rubbing and to feel any pain. I have a tattoo on my inner wrist (so, similar location and sensitivity) that's only one letter, a hyphen and three numbers and it took 15-20 minutes to ink and as I mentioned, wasn't really painful at all. Some discomfort when filling it in, but the outline didn't hurt in any way.

I am really sensitive to tattoo pain because of how sensitive my skin is, so if I barely felt anything people with normal skin sensitivity probably feel even less, and that's without numbing gel.

Numbing gel? Interesting. I've never been offered that for a tattoo or piercing...

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived