IGNORED

Josh hiding from the ebil media--part 15

Criscat

If I saw someone famous, I might do a double take, but I wouldn't harass them.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Once, when Mr. Four and I went to NYC, I was RIGHT BEHIND Steve Martin (and what was clearly his bodyguard) on the escalator at the MOMA. It was all I could do to breathe, let alone try to form a coherent sentence.. 

Then once I was going into the bathroom at the Magic Kingdom when out comes Nancy Kerrigan and her young son. I let my chin drop, (I promise you I'm usually extremely articulate), she complimented my mouse ears, and we went our separate ways. 

Part of me goes mum because my brain is thinking, "would *I* want to be interrupted right now?"

I'm fortunate enough to know quite a few platinum selling bands, as I was a fan of theirs long before they were ever famous, like playing small 200 person clubs kinda thing.  Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, Hinder, 30 Sec to Mars, Even now that they're huge, I wave hello or give them a head nod and that's it. FWIW, Jared Leto is not the asshole he's been portrayed as. Met lots of NHL players.  My hubby had Hulk Hogan and his entourage come into his restaurant after hours.  I was waiting in the parking lot to pick him up and did a double take when Hogan showed up, thought I was hallucinating. My oldest went to the same school as Eminem's daughter.  Celebs don't phase me. The Duggars...I'd be inclined to snap a pic of Josh if I saw him now, if only for snark value.

2 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Normally, that's what I do. Meet enough senators, congressmen, governors and presidential candidates, and they lose their mystique fast. Though, it was pretty awesome meeting Jay Leno at Universal Studios when he was taping a Jaywalking segment.

But with Josh...I'll take the photo and sell it. If some tabloid wanted to buy for $500, why the hell not? 

I've met my fair share of celebrities because I live in a place where a lot of them retire to. I worked at the hospital lab and would interact with them when they handed me their insurance cards (Medicare and SAG).  The only one who took my breath away was the actor who played Danno on the original Hawaii 5-0.  I was a big fan of the show so it was a thrill to meet him.  Still, I didn't really talk to him other than business. For some reason we got a lot of actors who were in Airplane and Blazing Saddles, two movies I adore. I did chat a bit with them about their roles in those films as they didn't seem to mind. Technically I live across the street from the captain from The Love Boat but he lives in a country club so I never see him.  Anyway, if I ever saw Josh I would not bother to converse with him, though. At this point he is more infamous than famous, though a teeny part of me feels sorry for him.

It's interesting about celebrities.  I used show horses and there were a number of celebs who also showed.  Most people treated them just like regular people in that if they didn't have high quality horses they didn't get a lot of attention.  One time at our biggest show an exceedingly well known rock group opened the show because one of the members wives bred show horses.  The first two songs were kind of fun because here we were listening to them for free.  After the first two songs people started grousing quite loudly about how much longer they were going to play, complaining that this was a horse show not a concert.  I think they played one more song and left, likely hearing an audible sigh of relief from the crowd.

Lesson...don't get in the way of people who seriously show horses.  You might get run down by one of them. :pb_surprised:

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Once, when Mr. Four and I went to NYC, I was RIGHT BEHIND Steve Martin (and what was clearly his bodyguard) on the escalator at the MOMA. It was all I could do to breathe, let alone try to form a coherent sentence.. 

Then once I was going into the bathroom at the Magic Kingdom when out comes Nancy Kerrigan and her young son. I let my chin drop, (I promise you I'm usually extremely articulate), she complimented my mouse ears, and we went our separate ways. 

Part of me goes mum because my brain is thinking, "would *I* want to be interrupted right now?"

I saw Kristi Yamaguchi and her daughters at the local Target a few years ago... I didn't say anything to her though.

I am a fan of Bondi Rescue, a show following the work that the lifeguards do on Bondi Beach.  When I am in a Sydney I like to try to get to the beach.  I have seen the lifeguards many times but could not bring myself to take a picture as it felt stalker ish.

Man, what kind of luck do you guys have? I've never seen a famous person before. My sister and mother have seen celebrities before (we live in NY) but I have yet to spot somebody. The only opportunity I had was when Bernie Sanders visited my college, but that was on a day I didn't know he was coming.

I've had a few minor famous people encounters:

I bumped into Mark Sheppard http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0791968/ on the shuttle train thing at London Heathrow. He was very pleasant and chitchatted with my mother (who had no clue who he was) and me. At first I wasn't positive it was him because I'm not great with faces and didn't want to seem like a dork by asking, and by the time I was sure, we were having a normal conversation about airport stuff already and I couldn't think of a non-awkward way to bring it up, so I just didn't say anything about recognizing him from TV. The train pulled into the terminal and we got off to head in different directions, and he was immediately ambushed by a fan and you could tell his stress level had increased because he just wanted to get to his plane, so I was kind of glad I had let him have his shuttle ride in peace without making him be in work mode.

I met the members of the band P.O.D. back in their heyday. I was working at a historical site in Salem MA and they decided to visit it while they were killing some time before their show later that night. I didn't recognize them (my manager told me later who they were) but they were noteworthy because I was having a rough customer day and they were the only people who were polite to me that evening. They very much defied the stereotype of well-known musicians being jerks.

I also chanced to see ex-president Gerald Ford at his museum when I was in middle school. It so happened that he was doing a press event there on the day we visited. We didn't interact with him or anything but he waved to all the visitors, including us.

It looks like everyone who has met a celebrity, has treated them with respect and given them their space. Just what I would expect from FJers. I would like to think I would react in the same way, but if I met David Tennant, I might drool a bit. :drool:

I worked security/student police in college. we worked all kinds of events. One was security for a killers concert. We were told we were short staffed so everyone had to work either the concert, or a mystery shift in the concert venue the night before the concert. I picked the mystery one, because I hated working concerts. Turned out it was a practice session for the band. Just the band, crew and security. After hours of set up I was stationed by the back door and told not to let anyone in without a badge. 4 guys in street clothes pull up in a rental sedan and ask to come in. They seemed uncertain and like they didn't know if they were in the right place. I asked for a badge. They looked confused. I told them I had strict orders from so and so, no one in without a badge they asked where so and so was. I said inside. Where they couldn't go. Catch 22. I know, I was that security person but orders were orders. We had a fair amount of looky loos  after a lot of back and forth like this one of the guys said "um.....we're the band". My partner and I decided to let them in. Then looked at each other and said "I guess we don't know what the killers look like".   

They were the band. And spent the next 8+ or so hours practicing and working on new material. Mostly sitting around on the stage, all relaxed. It was really cool, except the hours and hours of listening to the same riff over and over while they tried to master it. 

Pat some point the crew went into some rooms in a back hall and started partying big time. All got drunk. I was invited but had to decline. I was still working. practice went till past 3 am. We all went back to the station humming that damn riff over and over. 

A few years ago I saw Burt Reynolds. The bad plastic surgery is real. I saw Eva Longeria last year, with her boyfriend, and heard her tell her assistant to take her bag because she didn't want to be photographed with it. I watched her walk up and down the street. Needless to say, there were no papparatzi to take a photo of her. Years ago I used to work a library in the valley, saw a lot of soap stars and, most importantly, Scott Bakula checking out books with his kids. He was beautiful in person. I saw Caitlyn Jenner the day after Christmas at Barneys in Beverly Hills. The Vogue cover was photoshopped, a lot. 

so now we are saying who we saw 

I saw Bryan Adams twice - once shopping for food - 

Johnny Depp - filming 21 jumpstreet 

Peter Deluise in Shoppers Drug Mart 

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson filming the xfiles 

2 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I worked security/student police in college. we worked all kinds of events. One was security for a killers concert. We were told we were short staffed so everyone had to work either the concert, or a mystery shift in the concert venue the night before the concert. I picked the mystery one, because I hated working concerts. Turned out it was a practice session for the band. Just the band, crew and security. After hours of set up I was stationed by the back door and told not to let anyone in without a badge. 4 guys in street clothes pull up in a rental sedan and ask to come in. They seemed uncertain and like they didn't know if they were in the right place. I asked for a badge. They looked confused. I told them I had strict orders from so and so, no one in without a badge they asked where so and so was. I said inside. Where they couldn't go. Catch 22. I know, I was that security person but orders were orders. We had a fair amount of looky loos  after a lot of back and forth like this one of the guys said "um.....we're the band". My partner and I decided to let them in. Then looked at each other and said "I guess we don't know what the killers look like".   

They were the band. And spent the next 8+ or so hours practicing and working on new material. Mostly sitting around on the stage, all relaxed. It was really cool, except the hours and hours of listening to the same riff over and over while they tried to master it. 

Pat some point the crew went into some rooms in a back hall and started partying big time. All got drunk. I was invited but had to decline. I was still working. practice went till past 3 am. We all went back to the station humming that damn riff over and over. 

The Killers are my favorite band!!! I would shit if this happened to me. I would also happily lose my job to get drunk with them.

We met Kevin Smith on our honeymoon, in Virgin Records. Hubby had go up and admire/meet him for a moment but only for a moment.

I've seen a famous person or two, but I'm not into pop culture so I usually don't realize it until I see them on tv or in a magazine a good while later [emoji15]

Though one of the men from a 90s boy band takes his daughter to my former school, so I see him there frequently! And lots of nba/nfl players/cheerleaders are parents there so homecoming and basketball season is a true hoot!

8 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

The Killers are my favorite band!!! I would shit if this happened to me. I would also happily lose my job to get drunk with them.

To clarify, the killers were on stage practicing all night. The roadies were drinking- after the stage was set up and their work was done of course.  The roadies were not....attractive.  In terms of actual work the job kind of sucked.  We were there just over 12 hours and got exactly 1 water/bathroom break (not a 15 minute break break, just a "quick- pee and get a drink" break). We couldn't sit down, and since the windows were covered in cardboard our job was mostly ceremonial. Just standing there "in case".  Also, i kept getting stuck directly next to a speaker, so i may have suffered some hearing damaging.

I'm pretty sure they didn't need to spend most of the night on that ONE bar of music- I knew it by heart by the time we left.  Pretty sure that was pay back for not letting them in the venue :P  It was really cool to get to meet them though, even if i didn't exactly realize it at the time (and to have a cool story about almost not letting the band in to their own concert stage).  And they are really nice guys.

People wouldn't believe me after. Kept saying "professionals don't need to practice" and stupid things like that. Right, that's why olympic athletes sit on the couch eating pizza for four years between olympics- professionals don't practice.  Oh wait, that's me.

I saw Ewan McGregor walking down a busy street in Glasgow years ago, no one was bothering him. I have met the lead singer of a local band who were popular in the late 80's and early 90's, he came in to my dads shop and when I walked in I walked past him, my dad had to call me back to introduce me as I loved the band. I got a pic taken with him and a autograph which I treasured for years (I was 11 when it happened).

My mum and dad had coffee with Art Malik http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0539562/ when they were in India, they didn't know who he was at first, he came up to them when he heard there accents and asked if they were enjoying there holiday, it wasn't until my dad asked why he was in India and he told them he was there filming a movie that it clicked who he was. They said he was a lovely man who was really unassuming.

My celebrity experiences:

- Dave Chappelle and his family stood behind me in line at a coffeeshop in the Ohio town where they live. I quickly glanced behind me to peak, but mostly spent the time internally freaking out and trying to act natural (which meant facing away from him).

- I opened a door for Fabio once. That man appears to float when he walks. It's kind of eerie. My friends also got pics with him at a meet and greet, and his hand is right on her boob in one of them.

- I was an extra in Into the Wild. Sean Penn looked exceptionally creepy, and I didn't actually talk to him. One of the other extras made an ass of himself trying to get noticed by Sean Penn, but was quickly and curtly shut down.

- I've been in the audience for a few presidential candidates when they were campaigning, Bill Nye the Science Guy, and one of my favorite researchers

Here's one of my claims to fame... and notice that Curious George has his/her/their hand on my butt...:pb_lol:

pix5_(5).jpg

I once took a writing class taught by Mary Jo Pehl of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Once the show ended at that time, she got married, moved to Texas, and spent much of her time traveling with her husband and teaching people how to become better writers. She is a wonderful lady. The person who organized the event played episodes of MST3K on a TV in the background until class started, and Mary Jo looked over at the monitor as if she had never seen anything quite like it, as if the show were something from another world. Not in a bad way, but the expression on her face was funny.

Once met Loretta Swit from MASH. I had become a fan of the show in my teens due to reruns late at night. She was a vendor selling her own jewelry at the International Gem and Jewelry Show in my area. Since she was actually selling as a vendor at a booth, I went over to browse her wares and say hello. I told her that she looked lovely and that I enjoyed her performance on the show. She was very polite and thanked me. Her booth was deserted, but I think it had more to do with the fact that all of her jewelry was incredibly expensive, and incredibly plain.

Based on what I've seen with the Sister Wives line, and actress Jane Seymour's stuff, for that matter, you have to design jewelry that is beautiful or at least remarkable in some way. Your celebrity name won't be enough to move it off the shelves.

My formative years taught me that you should avoid certain sports stars. My family received back door passes to meet some of the local celebrity ball players for our city's team. This "back door" area consisted of a large fence where we all were forced to wait outside of, and cheer like loons whenever one of them stepped outside. None of the ballplayers ever came to speak to any of us or give autographs. One now famous ballplayer came out several times and strutted around the fencing like he was the Grand Poobah of Upper Butt Crack, but he never stopped for any of us. He later became known for his generosity and philanthropy, which I'm guessing means he grew up. I almost never tell this story, but it surprises people to learn that he was such a jerk in his youth. But anyone can change, I suppose.

And finally, to the celebrities who show up in hospitals to visit sick patients: If you do it, be discreet. Don't bring cops to barricade the elevators. DO NOT bring your entourage to take up space, eat all the food in the kitchen, and trip up the nurses when they are carrying around bags of IV fluids. Keep things quiet and be respectful. These are sick people, and this is not about you. If you absolutely feel the need to do all this, there is a large conference room on 7th floor. Patients can be brought to see you, or you can come up to our floor alone. Chris Pratt, ur doin it right. He typically visits hospitals quietly and with nary a camera in sight. So did the reality star who got sick and was treated in private in the new wing. I didn't put two and two together until I saw the new episode and figured out why we had a new doctor on our floor. But she was respectful and not disruptive in any way.

I love me a good movie villain and several years ago, at JFK airport, I met one of the greatest bad guys....Henry Silva.  If you ever saw the original "Manchurian Candidate" you will remember him instantly.  We were both perusing the post-card display at one of the shops.  I instantly recognized him and he smiled at me.  I'm sure he is a nice guy but what a bad boy he was in the movies.  I think he is retired now but for me, he is in the bad-guy Hall of Fame.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived