IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 15

samurai_sarah

39 minutes ago, Bushes of Love said:

To be fair, I haven't a clue how to bake a cake from scratch and I use the boxed stuff.

The video on the Duggar fan blog for Izzy's 1st birthday did make me squeee. Think what you want about the family, but they do make cute babies.

All a boxed cake is premixed flour, sugar, dried extract, dried milk, and baking powder.  Use cake flour, mix that yourself and add the egg and oil (like you have to do with a box) milk instead of water and you're all set.  

If you're used to the kind with the pudding in the box it won't be as moist - but you can add that to scratch, too.  It's one of those things that sounds more complicated than it is.

Now homemade eclairs are something to pat yourself on the back over...those are a temperamental pita - but scratch cake is just some extra measuring.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

yes but as a team Rafael fan I'm 100 percent pissed right now 

Are you kidding me? She was made for Michael :pb_lol:. But I have just seen the first season, waiting till it get on netflix 

Just now, Fundie Bunny said:

Are you kidding me? She was made for Michael :pb_lol:. But I have just seen the first season, waiting till it get on netflix 

oh yeah, just wait 

42 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

yes but as a team Rafael fan I'm 100 percent pissed right now 

26 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I have only seen season 1 as well. Team Michael here too. (Maybe partly because the actor who plays him is so goofy in real life and I love that.)

1 hour ago, Bushes of Love said:

To be fair, I haven't a clue how to bake a cake from scratch and I use the boxed stuff.

All that it takes is following directions and measuring properly. No judgment on those who choose to use a cake mix. I personally think a cake made from scratch tastes better than the boxed stuff. My favorite part about baking is measuring the ingredients and mixing them together. If you take that away from me and give me something premixed, it feels like a chore. I am weird like that.

Edited to add that I have no issue occasionally using cream soups when I cook, so I am only like this with baking.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but they mentioned in the birthday post that Israel is still nursing. He's obviously eating food as well, but I though it was interesting considering Michelle's track record.

37 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I have only seen season 1 as well. Team Michael here too. (Maybe partly because the actor who plays him is so goofy in real life and I love that.)

Saw the original and I've watched all episodes so far.... You're not going to be happy with the finale:pb_lol:

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

All a boxed cake is premixed flour, sugar, dried extract, dried milk, and baking powder.  Use cake flour, mix that yourself and add the egg and oil (like you have to do with a box) milk instead of water and you're all set.  

If you're used to the kind with the pudding in the box it won't be as moist - but you can add that to scratch, too.  It's one of those things that sounds more complicated than it is.

Now homemade eclairs are something to pat yourself on the back over...those are a temperamental pita - but scratch cake is just some extra measuring.

It's also a freakin' mess all over your kitchen, too.

31 minutes ago, servants-heart said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but they mentioned in the birthday post that Israel is still nursing. He's obviously eating food as well, but I though it was interesting considering Michelle's track record.

Oh, Ah-HAH! So THAT'S her family planning!

Jill might be still breastfeeding because she and Izzy still want to continue to breastfeed. She seems to be on the crunchy side.

52 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

It's also a freakin' mess all over your kitchen, too.

Oh, Ah-HAH! So THAT'S her family planning!

I am still of the opinion that Jill is not trying to get pregnant and may, in fact, be using something to prevent it.  I'm guessing Jim Bob and Michelle have OK'd her doing that because they like their brand to be attractive with a pleasant countenance(and excellent teeth), not someone with a small head and learning disabilities.  Despite their "Christianity", there are limits to what they'll accept.

JMO.

Jill's comment about Izzy still nursing makes me hopeful that she is actually a decent parent behind the scenes unlike her crazy parents who just wanted to build up their God Army. As much as I love to snark and eye roll about these people I do really hope they are good parents for their kids sake. Also besides the weird awkward video the birthday blog actually seemed really sweet and heartfelt?

5 hours ago, servants-heart said:

I'm just happy to see she's possibly doing something other than what her mom did.

4 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Saw the original and I've watched all episodes so far.... You're not going to be happy with the finale:pb_lol:

Booo. Oh well. It's a good show. I've always seen some spoilers because I follow a lot of the cast on social media. I wish they would put more than the past 5 episodes on the CW website. I bet Netflix won't get them until Fall.

Spoiler

I

I think maybe they put him in that chair because he is unattended on the table, and they have been getting flak for safety issues. In the other photo, Jill has him in a firm grasp. Those wiry little guys can be tricky to hold on to.....I had one! As far as nursing....good for her, whatever the reason, she clearly thought it out for herself. She most likely feels affirmed and accepted by local moms, too. Hoping against hope she and Derick make authentic friendships with people who don't do things exactly as they themselves were raised. Maybe they will be the ones who find a different sort of salvation in the country that carries the name 'The Savior'......

I

I breastfed all of my kids over a year. I usually had my period back by the time they were 9 months old. Good for her for continuing but I don't think it is for BC by this time. I wouldn't doubt that she'll be pg again soon. 

I'm past season one and I'm still Team Michael. I like Rafael with Petra :tw_flushed:

Damn, can't believe Izzy is already one. He looks like a mini Jill for sure. 

At first I thought it was odd that they don't have a high chair for Izzy, based on Instagram photos they just seem to spoon feed him in that bumbo seat, but then I remembered Jill spoon feeding 5 year old Josie. I guess it's just a thing in their family.

4 hours ago, TuringMachine said:At first I thought it was odd that they don't have a high chair for Izzy, based on Instagram photos they just seem to spoon feed him in that bumbo seat, but then I remembered Jill spoon feeding 5 year old Josie. I guess it's just a thing in their family.

It seems to be. Anna's children were always sitting in bumbo seats on the table too...

I do have to say that I'm really happy she's still nursing :) (says the crunchy mom whose almost 4 year old asked for mommy milk before going to sleep the other night).  If you do your research on birth control however you'll find that breastfeeding can be effective- up to a point. After around 6 months it's useless for just about everyone, and doesn't work once your cycle returns. For some women, especially older moms, breastfeeding can hinder your cycle. But younger moms that seems to be less the case.  I was following every guideline for using breastfeeding as bc (by coincidence, that was never my form of bc), but my cycle came back at two months pp.  There's a long list of things that need to be true before breastfeeding works to prevent pregnancy. 

child under 6 months

95% of child's calories come from mom's milk

nurse on demand, throughout the night as well (cosleeping seems to help improve your odds)

no sign of cycle returning

as well as a few others i can't remember right now.  Izzy is a year old and eating some solids (how much of that fan DID he ingest? jk) - his nursing is no longer working for bc, even if she thinks it will.  However it is still giving him lots of nutrition, antibodies, and bonding with mom. Which is what really matters :)  so good for them.

I've always thought that there was a difference between "accepting as many children as God will give you"... and "actively pursuing pregnancy"...

Michelle seems to be in the "actively pursuing" category, and while the girls seem to have done that for their first children, perhaps they're not quite so stringent at it any more. The other reason we haven't heard a second pregnancy announcement may be that they simply don't have the extreme fertility their mother has.

Maybe, just maybe, Jill is heeding her dctor's advice and waiting 2 years after the c section, and maybe they're taking the Zika virus into consideration. Could it be?

16 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Maybe, just maybe, Jill is heeding her dctor's advice and waiting 2 years after the c section, and maybe they're taking the Zika virus into consideration. Could it be?

I wish I could believe that Jill and Derrick had that much common sense. Sadly, I think the fact she isn't pregnant comes down to pure luck and that Derrick's sex drive may be way down due to whatever is going on that makes him look like a castaway. 

47 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If so, why can't they just say so?  Maybe the key to success of "reality" TV is to not say anything real at all.

10 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

At first I thought it was odd that they don't have a high chair for Izzy, based on Instagram photos they just seem to spoon feed him in that bumbo seat, but then I remembered Jill spoon feeding 5 year old Josie. I guess it's just a thing in their family.

Well, it's certainly an improvement on spoon-feeding infant Jordyn mushy oatmeal while she lay on her back on a sofa. While JB lifted dumbbells almost directly above her head.

13 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Well, it's certainly an improvement on spoon-feeding infant Jordyn mushy oatmeal while she lay on her back on a sofa. While JB lifted dumbbells almost directly above her head.

Wasn't it peas out of a can, or was that another time?

Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing a high chair since 14&PA. Maybe Jill doesn't want to deal w/the mess.

Maybe they don't have highchairs in CA.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived