IGNORED

Bates Family Part 14 - Party in Pink

samurai_sarah

Just now, formergothardite said:

Sadly they didn't stick with what the Duggars used, they went with ABeka video courses which I've read are dismal. 

To be honest I have always been a little doubtful the Duggars really use Monarch but the did some ads for it a few years back so they at least endorse. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

I don't get all the pearl clutching.  Walkers can be very unsafe if they are used on uneven surfaces or if they are used unsupervised.  I don't think putting your child in one makes you a bad parent.  Supervision is key.  I don't think either of mine had a walker.  We used a jumperoo, and they loved it.  

If you read the two articles to which I linked, and there are many, many more, you would learn that supervision does not work well with walkers because of the speed and a number of other safety issues. Countries have banned them and the American Academy of Pediatrics has been trying to get them banned in the US for years, but I guess Big Baby has too much influence.

The baby could easily lose control of the walker on a wet floor and catapult herself into that glass wall before anyone could reach her.

Also, there are physical and intellectual developmental delays associated with walkers. Again, in the NYT article.

The reason jumpers have become so popular is because they are good for baby in lots of ways.

The basic point is the walkers are not good for kids, so why use them? There are a million other baby gear options out there that are good for kids. Educate yourself and use one of those.

As to the autism argument, THAT is stupid. She is likely looking blank and away from the camera because of the pain she is in constantly because of those sad pigtails and the unnecessary bows. My mother did that to me - except she used tape to hold on the ribbons. I still resent her for it.

Corn syrup is much better for bows on hairless heads. It washes off easily and doesn't bind the head. 

I had a walker for my now 14 yo. He sat in it maybe twice (he never had patience with being confined once he could sit up). Mostly we used it for something without sharp corners that he could pull up on and I kept cheerios in the tray for him to snack on. We didn't have stairs and the base was bigger than the top, so pinching his fingers would have been unlikely. If you leave them in it 24/7 I can see how it would be problematic, but here and there isn't going to cause developmental delays. There's always going to be something that a mother uses that then becomes a no no for the next generation. 

Do you think when Trace says he's has 'taken over' Lawson's business that he means he now owns it or that he basically does everything for Lawson as he's his boss? If it's the first, what on earth is Lawson doing now? Busking at church/weddings/baby showers? Charging Nathan and Ashley for his chaperone services?

1 minute ago, MorningMist said:

Do you think when Trace says he's has 'taken over' Lawson's business that he means he know owns it or that he basically does everything for Lawson as he's his boss? If it's the first, what on earth is Lawson doing now?

Lawson is a wannabe Christian country star and has been trying to launch a music career.

Speaking as someone who's traveled the (US) eastern seaboard following bands, I can say that his beliefs are holding him back.  HE doesn't do many live gigs and the place to get them is bars, which are evil in his world.  In the summer he could do festivals and fairs but you don't see that on his social media.  Playing live shows and touring is the best way for a musician to build a fan base.  As far as I know the only gigs he's done are singing the national anthem at sporting events.

6 minutes ago, MorningMist said:

Do you think when Trace says he's has 'taken over' Lawson's business that he means he now owns it or that he basically does everything for Lawson as he's his boss? If it's the first, what on earth is Lawson doing now? Busking at church/weddings/baby showers? Charging Nathan and Ashley for his chaperone services?

It could be that Lawson mentioned recently that he is going touring. So, whatever that entails.

Lawson is a wannabe Christian country star and has been trying to launch a music career.

Speaking as someone who's traveled the (US) eastern seaboard following bands, I can say that his beliefs are holding him back.  HE doesn't do many live gigs and the place to get them is bars, which are evil in his world.  In the summer he could do festivals and fairs but you don't see that on his social media.  Playing live shows and touring is the best way for a musician to build a fan base.  As far as I know the only gigs he's done are singing the national anthem at sporting events.

I did think about his potential music career but he hasn't really been doing much about that that we've seen. Immediately I just assumed it was something else.

That being said, it's probably the best time for him to start taking it seriously if he is wanting to as he doesn't have to support a wife and family right now... You'd think he'd be promoting himself more though.

I bet he's hired Trace, not let him buy it off of him/give it to him, since, if he's money smart, he'll want that steady income if he's going to try and make it big time.

Well he does use his sister's wedding (Erin we know of, perhaps Michael and Alyssa) to hawk CDs, and he debuted a new single at Michael's.

Seriously his D-list reality TV star fame could help him.  A post above said he's going on tour, which I think is good for him.  This is the time of year that he can play outdoor events and not go to bars.  (It was hard enough being a 19/20 yo going to shows and wishing I had a fake ID to get into bars).

His music career is why he's the only single older Bates kid.

Well he does use his sister's wedding (Erin we know of, perhaps Michael and Alyssa) to hawk CDs, and he debuted a new single at Michael's.

Seriously his D-list reality TV star fame could help him.  A post above said he's going on tour, which I think is good for him.  This is the time of year that he can play outdoor events and not go to bars.  (It was hard enough being a 19/20 yo going to shows and wishing I had a fake ID to get into bars).

His music career is why he's the only single older Bates kid.

I'm pretty sure he's probably working on the new album which has been talked about for a couple of years now. If he was booking gigs already, he'd be blasting them all over Twitter.

Oh god, she is barely one. She is not autistic. My niece is almost two and still I can't make her look into the camera. And I can say she is perfectly okay. Babies are easily distracted, and some babies smile less than other. No biggie

A friend of mine's son is a Christian musician and he has a nice career playing Southern churches (especially the big ones), recording an album every few years, and going to revivals and the like as a musician.   He'll never reach Amy Grant levels of recognition or fame, but he has been supporting himself (and his wife of several years) for a good decade now, so it's working out for him.  There is demand for good Christian musicians and speakers.

The Dixie Chicks said in their Behind the Music special years ago that as musicians they could make good money just playing honky tonks and bars in Texas and the surrounding area, but they wanted the big time so they dumped their original singer and brought on Natalie Maines.  They scored a record deal and the rest is history.  (Even they are on a "reunion" tour this year.)

So Lawson could cobble together a tour of sorts (he would at least be better than the Rodrigues family), but whether he's that "good" is up for debate.

6 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Oh god, she is barely one. She is not autistic. My niece is almost two and still I can't make her look into the camera. And I can say she is perfectly okay. Babies are easily distracted, and some babies smile less than other. No biggie

This. Allie just has Resting Grump Face (I prefer saying that to Bitch Face because I find Grump more gender-neutral), or at the tender age of one she realizes that even though mommy wears tank tops and pants, she's still raising her to only aspire to a narrow, rigid gender role. Plus, there are plenty of photos where she's smiling and interacting with the world around her; I think she's fine. Also, haven't we been through this whole "OMG A BABY OR YOUNG CHILD (OR SOMETIMES AN ADULT) DID NOT ACT EXACTLY LIKE I THINK A BABY OR YOUNG CHILD (OR ADULT) SHOULD ACT CLEARLY THEY ARE INTELLECTUALLY DISABLED AND HAVE EBOLA AND ANTISOCIAL PERSONALITY DISORDER AND MIGHT BE THE ZODIAC KILLER" with Josie, Israel, and Jill?

Ugh I hate the diagnose a baby with autism based on pictures game. My oldest son has autism. There were signs and symptoms by the time he was Allie's age and younger. However how he looked in pictures wasn't one of them. Contrary to popular belief individuals with autism DO smile. They do look at cameras. In fact my sons baby pictures look completely "normal".  Probably the best he's done taking pictures ever. Plus what a freaking rude thing to discuss like that.

1 hour ago, MsSaylor said:

Ugh I hate the diagnose a baby with autism based on pictures game. My oldest son has autism. There were signs and symptoms by the time he was Allie's age and younger. However how he looked in pictures wasn't one of them. Contrary to popular belief individuals with autism DO smile. They do look at cameras. In fact my sons baby pictures look completely "normal".  Probably the best he's done taking pictures ever. Plus what a freaking rude thing to discuss like that.

Me too. Internet diagnosing a stranger's child is rude at best, in my personal opinion. It's a cruel and pointless exercise to concern-troll a child.

Walkers are not banned in Sweden but they do talk about the problems with them at appointments for your baby. We have one that I used (I was born in 1982) that was hand made by a guy who made wooden ones. It is heavy, the wheels do not roll very fast and getting from point A to point B is more of a workout for the baby so I felt OK with letting my daughter use it (under supervision). She liked sitting in it and play but due to the fact that it was not very easy to move she hardly moved at all in it. It will be used for baby number 2 also.

13 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

He wants to be a Christian country singer. He does not - and should not - need to play in bars. Quite the opposite. Christian musicians play  churches and such, but they don't go around playing in bars.

22 hours ago, crazysnark said:

In the comments of Alyssa's latest instagram pic there is a huge fight going on about Allie Jane being autistic. While I do agree it is a little weird that she always has a blank stare and never ever looks at the camera, i think it is weird that people are telling her to get her 12 month old tested for autism! So dumb. 

Are you serious? What is the matter with people? You can't tell if a child is autistic by looking at a picture and even if she is no one has the right to start commenting about anyhting on a picture.  

My experience with the music scene is purely secular (and mostly underage).   Back in the day I had a shirt that said "rock princess' on it and that pretty much described me.  I was basically a groupie who did everything but sleep with the bands.  But I'm also not a Christian and know that's a whole different scene.

Now I'm not sure if he wants to be a country singer or a Christian country singer (when I look at his social media, I have the urge to punch him).  I have no idea if he wants to only appear for Christians or be a little more mainstream (plenty of mainstream country musicians are Christian but their music doesn't always reflect it).  I'm also unsure of the demographic he's aiming for too (age, etc).  

Has he even played in churches (aside from Michael's wedding?)  What about doing what his sister's doing and marketing himself as a musician for weddings?  Even if we leave bars out of it, what about things like county fairs?  I worked on a congressional race in the Bates neck of the woods (28 county district) and there was no shortage of them (or festivals, etc--- my candidate grew to hate them).   Churches also have summer picnics/family events which would be a good venue for him.

I'm of the belief that you can do whatever you want to do, but you have to put effort into it.  Part of being a musician is live gigs, and I'm just not seeing it much from Lawson.  

Lawson seems to be going the Cousin Amy route to stardom, I guess.

@19 cats and counting I doubt Lawson has any clue what he wants to do. He probably thinks he will be enough of a Jesus heartthrob to corner whatever ..... market? he thinks he can get.

I think your analysis of him is just about right.

I think you could be a country singer with religious overtones and still sing in places other than Churches, even bars. A lot of music we think of as secular have religious overtones. I read a few days ago that one of Prince's songs (don't remember which one) was actually religious in nature and I had no idea. 

I think Lawson wants to be famous but I don't think he actually wants to put in the work to sing at a different venue every night to gain exposure. I don't think he would even want to tour because it is hard work being on the road in a different city every night. Think about it, he is on a tv show, he has exposure so many struggling musicians would kill for. He should be walking into every venue he can find and trying to get them to let him sing one night. He has a platform, not a big one, but something that at least should make people take a minute listen to his pitch as to why they should let him play at their place. Little places love any type of publicity they can get. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived