IGNORED

Bates Family Part 14 - Party in Pink

samurai_sarah

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

Just send a PM to an Admin and ask to be deactivated if you no longer want to participate here.

Thank you. I'm going to do that now!

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Oh, I understand letting kids get cake all over them. Babies general cover themselves with food at that age, I just don't get the trend of buying an entire cake for a baby to play with. It seems to be a recent trend, at least in my area. Even when my oldest daughter was a baby it was rare for people to purchase or bake an entire cake for the kid to play in, they gave a cupcake or a slice of cake. Much like gender reveal parties, I think this is a trend I will never understand. 

Yes, a slice of cake or a cupcake is plenty to get a child cutely covered in cake.

It's a bit like "trash the dress" on a much smaller scale to me.  I'll never understand that either. It seems like rampant consumerism ... but if people want to do it they can.

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

This isn't a Bates fan club, we do things like point out that Gil has a long history of not really working and grifting his way through life. The reason they have so much money now is that he is exploiting his children on television. And I haven't seen the digging into finances thing. His lack of a steady income is discussed because he brags about how he raised all these kids without having to have a regular income. He has a whole video about his grifting that you can purchase through IBLP. A member here watched it once and it was basically that Gil and Kelly kept popping out kids knowing they didn't have a regular income and they just expected that people would give them money and items. And he didn't worry about medical insurance, he just took his kids to the ER if they got sick because the hospital had to treat them.  

Ok Thank you, I did misunderstand when I said digging into finances, please forgive me!

6 minutes ago, what the heck said:

Ok Thank you, I did misunderstand when I said digging into finances, please forgive me!

It is okay, if you don't know a whole lot about the Bates, it is easy to not realize their long and shady history of not working and manipulating their public image to make it look like they are wholesome, hardworking parents. Lawson was the one who, as a teen, worked the hardest and used his own money to buy groceries for the family because his parents were too busy making babies and bragging about how they supported a large family without a steady income. After spending his teens working hard to feed his siblings, I'm giving Lawson a bit of a break for spending his days now flitting about having fun on social media. 

4 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

What just happened here?

@What the Heck yelled at people to do more research because is Gil Bates is such a hard worker.

I politely pointed out that she needed to do more research into his talent for grifting.

Others agreed with me.

She flounced.

6 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

@What the Heck yelled at people to do more research because is Gil Bates is such a hard worker.

I politely pointed out that she needed to do more research into his talent for grifting.

Others agreed with me.

She flounced.

How dare you employ reasoning to bring the deceptive nature of the Bates family to light!

What's next? Critical thinking?!

Anyways, Allie Jane's party was very pink!!! I wish they added more pastel pinks. I love me a good pastel pink.

Great, seeing the pink frills, I want to go out and get a new comforter, curtains towels and rugs for bathroom.    

15 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Great, seeing the pink frills, I want to go out and get a new comforter, curtains towels and rugs for bathroom.    

I believe Erin Bates Paine has some old ones she can sell you.  

38 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Others agreed with me.

She flounced.

It was all a bit odd. People weren't really digging deep into the finances of the Bates. A short look into Gil Bates work history shows a grifter who teaches others how to grift.

RIP what the heck.... she died as she lived... vociferously defending every citizen's right to punch a tiny cake.

my sheets and towels are Technicolor, too; my most recent acquisition is bright orange.  I also have no white or beige walls anywhere in my house.  and for as long as Target has been carrying tutu-style skirts for little girls (a couple years now), I've been insanely jealous that no one sold them in the mid-70's, because I would have loved to wear them!!!1!

confession time:  I've gotten my tutu/frilly fix lately--a store in my area specializes in retro clothes, and they carry a lot of circle skirts and crinolines.  yes, I've bought a few; I wear them to work (with modern tops and heels); and I absolutely love them.

14 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It was all a bit odd. People weren't really digging deep into the finances of the Bates. A short look into Gil Bates work history shows a grifter who teaches others how to grift.

Yes, to say nothing of what he has freely admitted in interviews.  I think all the examples I gave came from print interviews, the blog, or the old TLC show.  Certainly before they learned to be much more careful about what they said in public, scrubbed the Patriot room, and started filming BUB.

No-one has dug into the Bateses finances at all.  I think a reporter did find a lien against the Duggars for unpaid medical bills.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Bateses skipped out on paying their ER bills too - but I'm certainly not going to look.

I think the "I'm not going to dig into their finances" thing was just a "So there!"  She did apologize.

Just now, catlady said:

my sheets and towels are Technicolor, too; my most recent acquisition is bright orange.  I also have no white or beige walls anywhere in my house.  and for as long as Target has been carrying tutu-style skirts for little girls (a couple years now), I've been insanely jealous that no one sold them in the mid-70's, because I would have loved to wear them!!!1!

confession time:  I've gotten my tutu/frilly fix lately--a store in my area specializes in retro clothes, and they carry a lot of circle skirts and crinolines.  yes, I've bought a few; I wear them to work (with modern tops and heels); and I absolutely love them.

I was a frilly girly girl in the 80s (still am).  Vintage Bates pics show the girls (when the oldest ones were little) in dresses like my stepgrandmother used to buy me. 

One year for Christmas, I bought my niece a tutu skirt in a cat print.  I would have rocked that thing had it come in my size.  So I live through them sometimes.

If that store has a website can you share it.  I tend to wear frilly skirts to work with sweaters.  

4 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I was a frilly girly girl in the 80s (still am).  Vintage Bates pics show the girls (when the oldest ones were little) in dresses like my stepgrandmother used to buy me. 

One year for Christmas, I bought my niece a tutu skirt in a cat print.  I would have rocked that thing had it come in my size.  So I live through them sometimes.

If that store has a website can you share it.  I tend to wear frilly skirts to work with sweaters.  

I just sent you a PM, because I'm not sure if advertising is appropriate.  thanks!!

3 hours ago, ophelia said:

Same here. I have to admit that I love tutus. It would be my dream birthday to wear a tutu, smash a cake and get drunk while doing all this. Maybe this year...

I swear i am doing this for my 20th this summer. And i vaguely remember doing something like that for a birthday, but i just remember how it wasn't my birthday and how drunk i was

32 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I swear i am doing this for my 20th this summer. And i vaguely remember doing something like that for a birthday, but i just remember how it wasn't my birthday and how drunk i was

Your 20th... birthday??? I didn't realize you were a relative young'un! (Must be the nun's habit.)

It's good to see Alyssa ensuring that her daughter doesn't miss out on some of the experiences she missed out on. The Bates family does not adequately celebrate the individuality of each family member, for example Adallee and Ellie had a joint birthday party, which is fine, however, when it came to the "praises before presents" they were given joint praises rather than a separate praise for each child.

it was also good to see, in a YouTube TH on the UP Chanel, that Alyssa only wants 6 kids, that's certainly a manageable family size. But more importantly, it was good to hear John say he wants however many children Alyssa wants. I think she's the first of the married Bates brood to say that she'll limit the size of her family.  It looked like Zach would also follow suit, but I'm not so sure now with a second child on the way.

Good lord, by my calculations, Allie Jane isn't quite 1 year yet and she already has THIRTEEN first cousins-- 11 Websters, 2 Bates --plus 2 on the way:

18 minutes ago, Graceshepard said:

It's good to see Alyssa ensuring that her daughter doesn't miss out on some of the experiences she missed out on. The Bates family does not adequately celebrate the individuality of each family member, for example Adallee and Ellie had a joint birthday party, which is fine, however, when it came to the "praises before presents" they were given joint praises rather than a separate praise for each child.

it was also good to see, in a YouTube TH on the UP Chanel, that Alyssa only wants 6 kids, that's certainly a manageable family size. But more importantly, it was good to hear John say he wants however many children Alyssa wants. I think she's the first of the married Bates brood to say that she'll limit the size of her family.  It looked like Zach would also follow suit, but I'm not so sure now with a second child on the way.

See, I'm not that impressed by what John said. To me it just sounds like a nicer version of what Gil and JimBob used to say - that they let their wives decide.

He could be completely genuine in saying that, but it's one of those things where you can't know if it's genuine or not until it's happened.

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Good lord, by my calculations, Allie Jane isn't quite 1 year yet and she already has THIRTEEN first cousins-- 11 Websters, 2 Bates --plus 2 on the way:

I have 17 first cousins, and we are anything but fundie. It really isn't that big of a deal

9 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Is it just me?  Rep Webster looks really thin and ill in that picture.

My little is only a couple of weeks older than Allie, so I think I have a bit of an extra soft spot for them. I personally liked her birthday party, but I'm really into pink myself. It's cute for a little girl and I'm glad she will have some cute pictures to look back on.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived