IGNORED

Fans Who Send the Duggars Gifts or Make Personal Requests

roddma

2 minutes ago, colors_outside15 said:

They're in it. I was "raised" in it, and suicidal for many years before finally needing to make the break solely so that the buddy who started sleeping with me at 6 months would wake up and find me gone rather than dead.

God, that sounds horrific. :(

Have you been out of it for very long?

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Writing to the Duggars, sending gifts... meh, I can't really snark it. I wish I could just because it's the Duggars, but it's a pretty common response to celebrities, even if those celebrities aren't to my taste. As long as the person isn't showing up to their house and the messages aren't creepy, I don't see the big deal. I went through a phase when I was younger where I'd do things like that (for example, my friends and I baked a cookie cake for the cast of a Broadway musical we really liked) and while I feel I've personally outgrown it, I can still understand the impulse. To me it just seems like part of American pop culture to crave interaction with famous people, whether it's the Duggars or an actor or a sports star, or whoever else.

@blessalessi - More than one year, less than ten years ... so, it depends on what you mean by long.

/I have to get some things done now, but I'm not ignoring anyone else who writes. I'll pop in and out throughout the day

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Some celebrities to notice/respond to some fans.

I've had a couple celebrities respond to or retweet things I've said on Twitter a couple times. I wasn't talking directly TO them or asking them anything. I just tweeted about them and they saw it. One was an actor from a t.v. show and I tweeted that I was "Team*hischaractername" and he ended up seeing it and retweeting it. I guess he must have been searching for that particular hash tag or something.

I have a friend who thinks celebs are her "friends" after they do that though. And that's so weird.

That kind of behavior is why a lot of celebrities who were once very responsive to fans have gotten a lot less responsive to fans. Tom Hiddleston used to be very engaged with his fanbase and was very active and responsive on Twitter (and still is, to some extent), but after people started stalking him, sending death threats to women who had the gall to be seen in public near him, sending him Rule 34 art of himself, harassing him, finding/sharing his personal information, etc., he stopped interacting with his fans so much. It's really a shame, since I think he truly appreciated the fans who just wanted to talk and goof around online with him or ask him questions about his work, but (justifiably) couldn't deal with the fans who just didn't understand boundaries.

5 hours ago, MoonFace said:

The Duggars are not asking people for things - they are asking God to fulfill their needs.   God then uses people to help.   

That is how they see it, I'm sure.   

You know - ask and ye shall receive.  

God's registry?

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with sending letters, or whatever--PROVIDED--and this is the kicker--that a) you do it on your own behalf ( not a group, such as FJ or whatever)....b) you expect no response, and c) that it's not creepy obsessive crap. Saying I like your work, think you are cool,  is one thing, but stalker creepy things are not.

But thats just me.

I think I got Izzy (which my phone corrected to lazy) a book from the baby registry. I didn't expect a response, or care. I just wanted to do something nice.

Even if it is a book of bible stories, lord knows those children need to read more.

20 hours ago, Cats B4 Quivers said:

I get the idea that some leghumpers are so enthralled by the Duggars that some would request counsel from DimBulb and J'Chelle. I'd rather ask for advice from a crumpled pop can than those two. But I don't get sending any of them presents because I'm quite sure they have plenty from their tv grifting. Send the kids advice pamphlets when they turn 18, yes, but stuff? Naw. 

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Isn't that how Derick got in? He saw 19KAC and asked Godbobber to be his prayer partner. Maybe fans who want to sip the Kool-aid are taking cues from him . It's creepy in any case. I don't get it.:confused2:

58 minutes ago, Trynn said:

I think I got Izzy (which my phone corrected to lazy) a book from the baby registry. I didn't expect a response, or care. I just wanted to do something nice.

Even if it is a book of bible stories, lord knows those children need to dread more.

Autocorrect!!!  The kids need to read more. They've got dread covered.

8 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I'll admit to looking up a famous calligrapher on Facebook and messaging him.. he responded, too.. it was a straight up fan letter. He was very gracious..

But I think that is very different-- you admire him for his artistry. You complimented him on his work.

I'm guessing you didn't ask him for advice on how to raise your children or improve your golf swing.

Unlike Dolly Parton, Catherine Bach, or Rosie, the Duggars and Bateses are only famous for ahving oodles of kids. Dolly seemed more sincere about getting a gift.
Many fans still assume the Duggars and Bateses dont; make money from their shows.I would rather not send them anything no matter how famous their name is.

I once sent a letter to Rick Schroeder in the 80s(Silver SPoons) I got a reply but not from him. I never sent another letter to a celeb since.Now I wonder what I saw in him anyway

6 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

God's registry?

I guess I never realized God wanted us to have 20k + worth of material possessions just for getting hitched ... Maybe he just didn't love me and DH that much.

This thread is making me think that what Jinger and Jana actually do all day other than housework is respond to fans. The family really does seem to take the whole ministry thing seriously--it's possible they take a lot of time writing to people, trying to claim more souls for fundie Jesus. 

2 minutes ago, lascuba said:

This thread is making me think that what Jinger and Jana actually do all day other than housework is respond to fans. The family really does seem to take the whole ministry thing seriously--it's possible they take a lot of time writing to people, trying to claim more souls for fundie Jesus. 

Now that you mention it, I think at one point they said that Jana was the main person answering mail and such.

4 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

@Curious, it did say from Free Jinger. That didn't sit well with a lot members.

I don't recall arguing that point.

17 hours ago, colors_outside15 said:

@blessalessi - More than one year, less than ten years ... so, it depends on what you mean by long.

/I have to get some things done now, but I'm not ignoring anyone else who writes. I'll pop in and out throughout the day

No worries about the need to be vague, for privacy reasons.

It just sounds amazing that you got such a kind response from the Duggars when they seem to send automated messages out even to people who send gifts their way.  I was wondering if your contact was in the very early days, before they became so... "entitled". But then, the girls would have been younger and probably more sheltered from outsiders?

I guess your story just really got under their skin and touched them at an emotional level. :)

11 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Now that you mention it, I think at one point they said that Jana was the main person answering mail and such.

That is an interesting window on the outside world, if she is truly allowed to be the 1st person to open & read letters. She might see she profanity-filled hate mail + plus some creepy letters from fundy dads seeking helpmeets for their sons.

13 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

That is an interesting window on the outside world, if she is truly allowed to be the 1st person to open & read letters. She might see she profanity-filled hate mail + plus some creepy letters from fundy dads seeking helpmeets for their sons.

I tried to look this up out of interest, because their "friends" the Maxwells certainly didn't allow Sarah to screen their mail even at the age of 30!  The Duggars seem to have started out much like the Maxwells, relying on teachings from SM Davis and the Pearls, which were all about sheltering and protection. 

People seem to have been complaining and expressing disappointment at receiving automated email messages from the Duggars since they first became well-known. I would be interested to know how they handled snail mail, but would imagine TLC might have had a hand in managing that? 

Personally I'm sure they have some "friend" like T. Paine or some poor intern doing the first screening. Then anything worthwhile is handed over to Jana.

My husband met Jared Padalecki and his son. His son is 1 day younger then our daughter. Christmas birthday baby prods. I was so jealous.

I wrote a letter to the Pope after my dad's death and got a wonderful letter back. I also emailed a mermaid performer and got a nice message after that so that was really cool. 

I almost feel like I should write a letter to Jinger, just a regular old fashioned non-ass kissing but still pleasant letter. I wonder if she would write back? Would I get a reply? And who would write it? Now my curiosity is piqued.

I emailed both Anne Rice and Alison Weir and both wonderful ladies replied back. Omg I had a serious fan gurrl squee when I saw the email from AR.

21 hours ago, Mercer said:

Writing to the Duggars, sending gifts... meh, I can't really snark it. I wish I could just because it's the Duggars, but it's a pretty common response to celebrities, even if those celebrities aren't to my taste. As long as the person isn't showing up to their house and the messages aren't creepy, I don't see the big deal. I went through a phase when I was younger where I'd do things like that (for example, my friends and I baked a cookie cake for the cast of a Broadway musical we really liked) and while I feel I've personally outgrown it, I can still understand the impulse. To me it just seems like part of American pop culture to crave interaction with famous people, whether it's the Duggars or an actor or a sports star, or whoever else.

Yep. There are tons of people that send things to celebrities due to different reasons.

• They may really like them and want to give them a gift to show that (which is innocent enough.) 
  • Some people feel like they could be friends (especially in the case of "reality" TV shows) and want to give gifts to be favored. Buy their love. 
  • Others may want to give them a flower headband from their Etsy shop for publicity and marketing reasons.  
  • There are some people that want to educate them. For example buying them a children's book showing diversity.

Overall it would be money better spent on a charity or someone who is really in need of a gift, but it is their choice.  

@VixenToastI really like Alison Weir, too. I'm a European history nerd and have read her books on Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. 

-----

As to why people write and tweet famous people, I think it's a thrill to know they know you (universal you) exist. Years ago, when the channel FX launched, they were super interactive. Pre-Survivor host Jeff Probst had a show at night called "Back Chat" where you could write in and they would read letters and post cards on air and answer questions. I had a huge crush on him. 12 year old me from Nowhereville, Fly Over State, USA wrote in pretty often that summer and they obviously didn't get much mail so they read mine on air regularly. I was thrilled to hear him say my name on national TV. I imagine that's the thrill people get when they see their homemade blanket on the show or they get when a celebrity retweets or replies to them. 

Yeah, I'm 30+ years old and I was still 'excited' when Damian from OK Go answered my question in a live Facebook video chat...haha. I am not ashamed. :)

8 hours ago, blessalessi said:

No worries about the need to be vague, for privacy reasons.

It just sounds amazing that you got such a kind response from the Duggars when they seem to send automated messages out even to people who send gifts their way.  I was wondering if your contact was in the very early days, before they became so... "entitled". But then, the girls would have been younger and probably more sheltered from outsiders?

I guess your story just really got under their skin and touched them at an emotional level. :)

@blessalessi - It wasn't in the very early days -- I didn't know about them until I saw a TV for the first time. (I didn't see a TV until I was "out").  I just went back and looked and there's a whole chain of emails going back and forth between us. I got three personalized emails, which truly are very kind and genuine (despite, of course, how terrible the Duggars are and that they were likely trying to get me into their cult). For them though, getting you into the cult is kind because they think they're saving you. What stands out to me the most is that they were willing to provide financial and emotional support even if I didn't follow through on everything they offered. Horrible people? Yes. But do they have some good inside of them? I have to say yes.

(Now, before anyone yells at me, don't get me wrong - I hate the Duggars and the Bates and everything they stand for, but I had nothing and the Boob didn't need to write or to offer help. I'm not even close to being a leg humper, and the disgusting way Boob shielded a molester and Gil continues to harm abused girls is nothing less than sickening. I tend to think Gil is more evil than Boob because Gil has covered up more abuse, but both men stand for things that are completely opposite from my beliefs. If I had known then what I know now, I would not have written. Again, Duggars and Bates adult parents = evil).

Archived