IGNORED

Fans Who Send the Duggars Gifts or Make Personal Requests

roddma

Oh, I forgot one! When I was in middle school, I got a chance to meet Madeleine L'Engle, the author of A Wrinkle in Time and various other books. At the time I was on crutches because I had a broken metatarsal and she was also on crutches, if I recall correctly because she had slipped on ice and broken her leg. 

A year or so later I got to talk to her again, and I mentioned that we had spoken previously. She actually remembered meeting me because we had both been on crutches at the time, and I thought it was pretty cool that she could recall that.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was the weather girl of the day on The Uncle Al Show when I was 4. Uncle Al thought I was a smart ass because I told him it was partly cloudy- which it was because the weatherman on the local news said so. (FYI- The Uncle Al Show was a local children's program out of Cincinnati.) My friends watched me at home because the show was live. I was a star... At 4.

I also hung out on several occasions with Jeff Saturday & his wife. I went to a birthday party with the Saturdays, Tony Dungy's wife, Gary Bracket's family, and a few other players wives. I was dropping off something at the Saturday's house and we passed Tony Dungy & his family driving to their house (in the same neighborhood) he waved. 

The Colts players & their wives were really low key. Seriously, except for the men being built & looking like they could tackle you... they were really normal people. 

23 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Oh! I loved Wrinkle in Time! Lucky!!!

As a child I got to meet more writers than most people have to opportunity to because of my parents' line of work. I've also met Katherine Paterson, Annie Dillard, John Updike, Lee Smith, and Donald Hall off the top of my head. 

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

As a child I got to meet more writers than most people have to opportunity to because of my parents' line of work. I've also met Katherine Patterson, Annie Dillard, John Updike, Lee Smith, and Donald Hall off the top of my head. 

Maybe you and I went to the same university!  I've also met Donald Hall...and got hit on by John Updike.  :confused2:

6 minutes ago, Rubaiyat said:

Maybe you and I went to the same university!  I've also met Donald Hall...and got hit on by John Updike.  :confused2:

I can guess where you went! :pb_mrgreen:

I didn't go there, though. My parents were there for the festival and I was a kid tagging along.

ETA: If we're thinking of the same place, it was in my top two when I was old enough for college but I ended up picking a different school for various reasons including a better financial aid package.

On 4/15/2016 at 11:43 AM, violynn said:

I was on a local tv station's Romper Room. I'm definitely a celebrity.

I know a girl who was featured on a very conservative Christian TV show many years ago because she survived eating a lethal dose of poisonous berries, probably Belladonna. The televangelist proudly proclaimed that she had lived "only by the grace of God!"

You know, because pumping her stomach and treating her with the right neutralizing medicines by doctors had nothing to do with it.

Well, I've tied in a 15-minutes-of-fame-friend with fundie-ism. So that either makes me famous by association for 15 minutes or a leghumper, take your pick.

On 4/24/2016 at 7:57 PM, Mercer said:

Oh, I forgot one! When I was in middle school, I got a chance to meet Madeleine L'Engle, the author of A Wrinkle in Time and various other books. At the time I was on crutches because I had a broken metatarsal and she was also on crutches, if I recall correctly because she had slipped on ice and broken her leg. 

A year or so later I got to talk to her again, and I mentioned that we had spoken previously. She actually remembered meeting me because we had both been on crutches at the time, and I thought it was pretty cool that she could recall that.

A Swiftly Tilting Planet is on my top ten all time favorite books list.

Love Madeleine L'Engle. It's a good book when it can be enjoyed by adults and children. How sad that the Duggars will never be allowed to explore their imaginations or increase their vocabulary.

As a child I got to meet more writers than most people have to opportunity to because of my parents' line of work. I've also met Katherine Paterson, Annie Dillard, John Updike, Lee Smith, and Donald Hall off the top of my head. 

Speaking of Katherine Peterson, I had a HUGE crush on her grandson. We both went on this trip to Europe you had to be nominated for. He was super down to earth.

On 4/24/2016 at 11:28 PM, Mercer said:

What do your parents do for a living and how can I break into it?! Lucky you!

On 4/24/2016 at 11:14 PM, divadivine said:

I was the weather girl of the day on The Uncle Al Show when I was 4. Uncle Al thought I was a smart ass because I told him it was partly cloudy- which it was because the weatherman on the local news said so. (FYI- The Uncle Al Show was a local children's program out of Cincinnati.) My friends watched me at home because the show was live. I was a star... At 4.

I also hung out on several occasions with Jeff Saturday & his wife. I went to a birthday party with the Saturdays, Tony Dungy's wife, Gary Bracket's family, and a few other players wives. I was dropping off something at the Saturday's house and we passed Tony Dungy & his family driving to their house (in the same neighborhood) he waved. 

The Colts players & their wives were really low key. Seriously, except for the men being built & looking like they could tackle you... they were really normal people. 

Thats how the Preds and Titans are here.. 4 Preds players will go out of their way to talk to me about life things.  (18.92.9,35). Once I had a 15 hr day the day prior to a practice and one of those two was genuinely concerned I was sick. :) 

Well, I'm planning to change my dog's name to Henri, move to Montreal -just because I love Louise Penny, so I'm an author person, also.

I got a birthday card from Stephen fry on my 16th. He and dad were in the same project together, won't say what it is cos that would out too many personal details. Dad isn't that famous, really, and he mostly writes rather than acts. 

As for meeting celebs, hmm. On the one hand, I would really love to meet one, but on the other hand I'd just get so nervous and wouldn't know what to say and just totally freak out. 

My cousins were in LA lately and went to a movie premiere and the 12-year-old one introduced himself to Daniel Brühl. 

7 hours ago, season of life said:

What do your parents do for a living and how can I break into it?! Lucky you!

Literature/writing professors.

If you want to be reminded how strange, fickle and yet universal celebrity-culture is, try following a long thread about people having spotted people you have no clue who is, what they do or why they make others go "oooohhhh" :my_biggrin:

Jumping into the game though! 
Any Game of Thrones-fans? I recently ran into Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

I have a book signed by Elizabeth Elliot, who is a fundie celebrity. But I didn't actually get her to sign it, I was hanging out in the lobby of IBLP's Dallas Training center, her husband was there and asked if I wanted her to sign a book, so I went and got my copy of Passion and Purity, gave it to him and he left it with the front desk a couple of days later. So basically I met Elizabeth Elliot's third husband. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

7 hours ago, Iokaste said:

If you want to be reminded how strange, fickle and yet universal celebrity-culture is, try following a long thread about people having spotted people you have no clue who is, what they do or why they make others go "oooohhhh" :my_biggrin:

So handsome on GOT, what did you think in person?

18 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

My cousins were in LA lately and went to a movie premiere and the 12-year-old one introduced himself to Daniel Brühl. 

Cool, loved Good Bye Lenin! 

10 hours ago, Iokaste said:

There are quite a few of us a Game of Thrones fans running around FJ. I would love to "run into" that guy. :56247955dd693_32(12):

@UngodlyGrandma and @AliceInFundyland, he is very handsome, definitely not one of those stars where when you see them in person, you wonder how they can be so magnetic on screen. 
He's on the absolute periphery of my circles, but my impression is of a very nice, family-focused, private guy.

Forgot about the cousin who is a producer in Hollywood. Saw her in the credits on a couple of major films. We don't really talk much, which is a shame. Sometimes I wonder how she got involved with that.

On 4/19/2016 at 2:23 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

If it were Twilight, I'd be annoyed at her lack of professionalism but find it kind of funny (it was still incredibly unprofessional, but I do find the blatant hatred Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson have for the franchise amusing), but if it were the authors of Speak or Still Alice (both very good books and movies), I'd be just straight-up pissed.

It was in fact the author of Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson. She was super nice and I have an autographed copy of her book Fever 1793. 

On 4/26/2016 at 5:17 AM, Iokaste said:

:drool: :big-heart: 

NEED DETAILS. ALL OF THEM. 

(we need a Homer Simpson drooling emoticon for these situations...)

Archived