IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen- General Discussion Part 18

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, MadameOvary said:

Coming out of long-term lurkdom, this is my first post so go easy on me.

It makes no sense to me what TLC is (not) doing with the Duggars. They are a business, they produce tv shows to make money, but what is the business case for The Most Boring Show On Earth? Either drop the Duggars already, or do something with the show. There are so many, even relatively inexpensive ways to inject some drama into it, so why won't they do it? I'm sure JB cannot still be running the show on his terms, if he ever was. They could easily do something different and bring up the ratings.

There has to be something.  They cancelled the show and brought it back, albeit under a different name.  If there is a second series of counting on, there will be no doubt in my mind that JB has something big over someone at TLC.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, CharityBear said:

I wonder if the Duggars use these?

13103297_1267412776620523_2626726855013816434_n.jpg

It's a joke right? It must be a sort of prank because nothing like that exist, right? RIGHT?

ETA "a self raping child"? WTF?

21 minutes ago, CharityBear said:

How does one rape oneself? Whoever did this seriously needs to take a class on consent. 

Ironically, I'm sure parents using this quasi-straight jacket contraption didn't get their child's consent to be strapped down. 

56 minutes ago, CharityBear said:

This was discussed here before. It's a joke, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone creates something similar to it, like a "self chastity belt" that only the parents have the key for.

We used those in the ER to stitch up kids, who generally resist that procedure.

6 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

We used those in the ER to stitch up kids, who generally resist that procedure.

Yep, they are called a papoose. I have strapped lots of squirming kids into one of those. Not an easy task, but necessary.

I could have sworn I read somewhere on the Internet that JimBoob duct taped a son's hands together for being "caught in the act" in the bathroom - please, someone, tell me I imagined that.

53 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I could have sworn I read somewhere on the Internet that JimBoob duct taped a son's hands together for being "caught in the act" in the bathroom - please, someone, tell me I imagined that.

Here's a link to that rumor, as well as others.

We have no way of knowing if any of these rumors are true, so please don't speculate on what happened to whom.

Content warning: rape, child sex abuse

http://defamer.gawker.com/jim-bobs-punishment-for-masturbators-crazy-duggar-tale-1707675683

5 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

This was discussed here before. It's a joke, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone creates something similar to it, like a "self chastity belt" that only the parents have the key for.

Oh, God. Don't give them ideas. I wouldn't put it past someone like the Pearls or the PP to actually use something like this.

7 minutes ago, EyeQueue said:

Oh, God. Don't give them ideas. I wouldn't put it past someone like the Pearls or the PP to actually use something like this.

Actually in the first "there's no place like home thread" there are links to a blog post where a "mother" says how well a papoose board worked to keep a child's behaviour under control. She purchased a regular, expensive, papoose board of the kind of those used by hospitals I really hope none will ever come up with something like the item in the picture marketed with the purpose of restraining children at home in that horrid way.

22 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Yep, they are called a papoose. I have strapped lots of squirming kids into one of those. Not an easy task, but necessary.

#4 had to have stitches when he was barely 2 years old.  He was paoppsed!

On 4/26/2016 at 10:52 AM, Mothership said:

I've been giving some thought to a kidult escapting the cult of JB (admittedly, way too much thought to this!), and I've got several theories:

1.  Not going to happen.  They are gulping the koolaid and have Koolaid IV's hooked up while they sleep.  

2. THe Duggars (especially the kidults) are pulling an elaborate scam on TLC and all of us.  THey secretly slip into yoga pants and play beer pong when the camera crew leaves.  THey mock us here at FJ while counting the money they've gotten from TLC.  If this is the case---Bravo!

3. Jana and/or Jinger and/or Joy really, really want to escape, but they simply can't leave behind the littles (especially Jenny).  They've seen what a tyrant JBoob is when something goes wrong -he has been physically, emotionally, psychologically punishing Joshley since his return and so emotionally punished Anna during Josh's rehab, that they can't bear to leave their siblings to his wrath should one of them flee.  If we truly feel that they live in the cult of JB, this is as likely a scenario as #1.

4.  Josie will escape/rebel.  She won't have had  to be a sister mom-except to possibly neices and nephews on occasion--but not daily.  She'll never know having to make dinner for 21 or do laundry for all her brothers.  She will finally get her own room/space.  She hasn't had to watch her mother's bizaaro pregnancy romances.   She will either never know the early days skimping that the others did OR will have seen to backlash of the cancelled show and cancelled attention and wonder WTF-screw this.

I told you, I've spent too much time on this!

I don't know if this is true of ATI/christian patriarchy subscribers but many escapees of cults say that they stayed in the cult for so long because they feared that their families would face repercussions if they left. It may be a little bit different with an ATI/Duggar situation where the cult leader is basically JB, but there may still be some fear that leaving would make worse the lives of the children left behind. 

But that is if they have given any thought to leaving at all, which I rather doubt.

I can't believe at least 2 of them haven't talked about it in the dark at night, in the quiet of their room.

53 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

I can't believe at least 2 of them haven't talked about it in the dark at night, in the quiet of their room.

I mean that's sort of the point of the dorms isn't it? Even if one is curious and trusts another one enough to bring it up, all their same-gender siblings can hear them from ages 1 to 26.

54 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

I read somewhere and now it makes a lot of sense to me.  Since they have to report to each other in accountability, they can't really trust one another.  They can actually not speak to one another in any real way. They are each other's jailers.  

1 hour ago, BeccaGrim said:

I read somewhere and now it makes a lot of sense to me.  Since they have to report to each other in accountability, they can't really trust one another.  They can actually not speak to one another in any real way. They are each other's jailers.  

The Duggar Panopticon.

This is just really sad. I had previously thought that at least there would be some camaraderie in those shared sleeping quarters, but you're probably right. It's to constantly surveil them.

35 minutes ago, EyeQueue said:

The Duggar Panopticon.

This is just really sad. I had previously thought that at least there would be some camaraderie in those shared sleeping quarters, but you're probably right. It's to constantly surveil them.

I think there can be both sincere friendship/camaraderie and concern that a sibling may report a transgression.   There can be camaraderie about things that don't violate the rules or only violate them in small ways (for example, sibling didn't brush his/her teeth).  But when it comes to big things (sibling plans to elope) the kids feel they have to tell.  I don't know where the "can't trust" line is for the individual Duggar kids in their relationships with specific siblings, but I would guess that it varies with the sibling and the secret.

Jana might keep Jinger's secret about wanting to take photography lessons, and sympathize with her and so forth, but she might draw the line at criticizing their parents.  Jinger might listen to Joy's concerns about having to wear dresses and agree it would be good to wear pants for some things, but she might draw the line at Jinger's wish to "really date" instead of courting... And so on.

It does not seem likely that they will escape, and it is unlikely they would discuss dreams of escaping, but that doesn't preclude close friendships among the kids. 

8 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I think there can be both sincere friendship/camaraderie and concern that a sibling may report a transgression.   There can be camaraderie about things that don't violate the rules or only violate them in small ways (for example, sibling didn't brush his/her teeth).  But when it comes to big things (sibling plans to elope) the kids feel they have to tell.  I don't know where the "can't trust" line is for the individual Duggar kids in their relationships with specific siblings, but I would guess that it varies with the sibling and the secret.

Jana might keep Jinger's secret about wanting to take photography lessons, and sympathize with her and so forth, but she might draw the line at criticizing their parents.  Jinger might listen to Joy's concerns about having to wear dresses and agree it would be good to wear pants for some things, but she might draw the line at Jinger's wish to "really date" instead of courting... And so on.

It does not seem likely that they will escape, and it is unlikely they would discuss dreams of escaping, but that doesn't preclude close friendships among the kids. 

Yeah, that makes sense. And also makes the whole situation perhaps a bit more horrifying. "I love you and I'm your friend, but I honestly feel that revealing to our parents the secrets you just entrusted to me is for your own good...the salvation of your soul."

I'm with you. I don't see any of them having a shot in Hell of escaping, and I think they're all much too brainwashed to maybe be able to even think about that concept.

On 27 April 2016 at 3:27 PM, Chickenbutt said:

Why is it necessary? My child has been stitched up but I have never ever seen one of those contraptions or anything remotely similar used in a&e anywhere.

My 4 year old great -nephew was in a&e two nights ago having a huge splinter removed from his side (long story) , his Nana, Daddy and I kept him entertained and distracted whilst everything happened. Never in a million years would we have agreed to him being strapped into a device like that. Totally unheard of In the  north of England.

1 hour ago, Gobsmacked said:

Why is it necessary? My child has been stitched up but I have never ever seen one of those contraptions or anything remotely similar used in a&e anywhere.

My 4 year old great -nephew was in a&e two nights ago having a huge splinter removed from his side (long story) , his Nana, Daddy and I kept him entertained and distracted whilst everything happened. Never in a million years would we have agreed to him being strapped into a device like that. Totally unheard of In the  north of England.

Not all children can be entertained to the point of stillness. When you are trying to suture close to an eye it is especially critical that a child not move. And believe me, parents have told me many, many times, "I can hold them still....I can entertain them so they won't move". Honestly it just doesn't happen that way. The kids are put in the papoose only when the doctor is in the room, they are monitored constantly by the nurse, and are removed immediately when the procedure is over. It is not torture, it is a necessity.

On 4/26/2016 at 10:52 AM, Mothership said:

I've been giving some thought to a kidult escapting the cult of JB (admittedly, way too much thought to this!), and I've got several theories:

3. Jana and/or Jinger and/or Joy really, really want to escape, but they simply can't leave behind the littles (especially Jenny).  They've seen what a tyrant JBoob is when something goes wrong -he has been physically, emotionally, psychologically punishing Joshley since his return and so emotionally punished Anna during Josh's rehab, that they can't bear to leave their siblings to his wrath should one of them flee.  If we truly feel that they live in the cult of JB, this is as likely a scenario as #1.

One of the saddest ex-fundie things I've ever read is Cynthia Jeub's blog post I'm sorry you lost your kids, about losing contact with the younger siblings that she'd more or less raised herself. I can see that being a powerful motivator in a lot of fundie families. 

53 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

Not all children can be entertained to the point of stillness. When you are trying to suture close to an eye it is especially critical that a child not move. And believe me, parents have told me many, many times, "I can hold them still....I can entertain them so they won't move". Honestly it just doesn't happen that way. The kids are put in the papoose only when the doctor is in the room, they are monitored constantly by the nurse, and are removed immediately when the procedure is over. It is not torture, it is a necessity.

Yeah, I've never seen one of those, but I, along with a doctor and a couple of nurses, had to hold a two year old down. She had to get a cut glued on her forehead. It was only a couple minutes, but I nearly cried while holding her down. It was awful, but necessary. :(

44 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

It's necessary torture!!!  I remember being in a papoose when I was 4. --30 some years ago... I split my forehead open and required stitches. the papoose was more traumatic than the stitches!  My scar isn't visible now probably thanks to very skilled doc and a freaking papoose  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived