IGNORED

Healthy Living

what the heck

What are some personal health goals would you like to achieve? Personally I would like to get my appetite under control. I'm either forcing myself to eat or forcing myself to stop eating. I just want a healthy medium! I also wonder if vitamins would give me more energy. I'm not into these new diet trends such as wrapping or these drinks such as weight watchers or that pink drink. If it works for you that's wonderful and I'm so glad it does but I personally just want to stick with what I know and what my body knows. I'm the kind of person whose body reacts weridly to stuff so I never know with new products. For example I once had dental surgery and afterwards my throat started hurting badly that it took over a month for me to feel normal again. This is why I like to stick with what I know! 

5 hours ago, what the heck said:

What are some personal health goals would you like to achieve? Personally I would like to get my appetite under control. I'm either forcing myself to eat or forcing myself to stop eating. I just want a healthy medium! I also wonder if vitamins would give me more energy. I'm not into these new diet trends such as wrapping or these drinks such as weight watchers or that pink drink. If it works for you that's wonderful and I'm so glad it does but I personally just want to stick with what I know and what my body knows. I'm the kind of person whose body reacts weridly to stuff so I never know with new products. For example I once had dental surgery and afterwards my throat started hurting badly that it took over a month for me to feel normal again. This is why I like to stick with what I know! 

A good multivitamin will help you. 

Wraps are stupid. They aren't anything. I have no idea what you are talking about with "the pink drink" but I'm sure it's stupid too. 

Seriously. The wraps are the dumbest thing i've ever heard of people falling for. 

8 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

A good multivitamin will help you. 

Wraps are stupid. They aren't anything. I have no idea what you are talking about with "the pink drink" but I'm sure it's stupid too. 

Seriously. The wraps are the dumbest thing i've ever heard of people falling for. 

Pink drink = take the word lexis and add a P in front of it. These boards show up on google, which is why I will never type the word in. I do not want tons of people trying to change my mind!

I want to eat better too! I'm going gfree again because it significantly diminished my migraines in the past, starting this week (today or tomorrow). It's just daunting to start. I'll check in here! I also need to go back to my weekly exercise routine but haven't since I've been sick. I like this thread and the resolvers one too! Let's get healthy!

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2016 at 5:49 PM, what the heck said:

I'm curious to see some gluten free examples of meals!

As a person allergic to wheat, I adhere to gluten free. You can get many gf products at most major grocery stores now. If you are staying away from processed foods it is easier because you can control the ingredients.

No pasta, bread or cereal unless it is labeled gf. I make a lot of vinaigrette dressing it can be used as a marinade or on cut vegetables as a salad. We eat a lot of rice and use soy sauce that does not contain wheat. Many seasoning blends contain gluten so we mainly buy pure spices and make our own. No more rice a roni or taco kits. We make a pot of basmati pilaf to last a couple meals or buy fresh corn tortillas and use homemade taco seasoning with ground meat-yummy!

You can use rice flour or corn starch as a thickener for gravies and sauces.  It takes practice but is doable message me if you have specific questions.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My own health choices:

- Walking and cycling. I ride my bike to work or take the bus (taking the bus means at least a short walk to the kids' preschool/daycare and a short walk from there to the bus stop plus a short walk to work. I walk to the store as I live within walking distance of 4 stores. I use a bike trolley that can be turned into a stroller or the big stroller to make the road home a bit more comfortable. I also try to walk or ride my bike for other errands. That all adds up and it is clear that it is good for your body. I understand this isn't possible for everyone.

- I take vitamin D during winter as I live in northern Sweden which is very dark in winter and most people will become deficient in vitamin D regardless of lifestyle.

- I try to do 80% healthy and 20% whatever I want. I eat vegetables with every meal, I try to avoid going overboard with unhealthy food, I try to reduce the amount of potatoes, rice or pasta that I eat, try to not eat candy, cookies or cake but I still allow them within that 20%. My daughter often wants something sweet on Fridays and there I have taken on the habit of baking whatever we eat that is sweet as that is cheaper and less of other nasty stuff other than sugar and white flour. I do sometimes use a mix of or only whole wheat even for baking sweet things but not all the time. I use sugar as I feel honey messes with recipes that are not made for using honey. I want food to be something that feels like the blessing it is to people so I put a lot of effort into making tasty meals and making sure we try food from different cultures and food that is made with a wide variety of ingredients but of course we also sometimes have fast food and easy options from the store sometimes.

I am overweight right now by about 20 kilos (45 pounds) but I am not currently trying to lose weight. If I do because of my living, and I have these last couple of months, that is great but it is not something that is important to me right now. If I would try to lose weight I would use low carb high fat which has worked in the past for me and has the added bonus of allowing you to not be hungry as the diets where you reduce the amount in all areas tend to do to me. I would never do diet drinks and such, that is nasty and unnecessarily restrictive in my view. 

I like your 80/20 suggestion. I need to lose a little over 20kg too, so that's a great way for me to look at it.

I need to lose around 20kg as well and really like your suggestions. I just signed up in a fitness club again and right now I'm eager to work out again. It's been six months of being lazy and that's about enough. 

I'm afraid I mainly overeat due to my monthly health and right now I'm looking into therapy options that are covered by my health insurance. I hope exercising will also help me to keep on track as well. 

I need to change things and I hope I'll have the strength to accomplish some of my goals this time!

Archived