IGNORED

Tesla Model 3 revealed

47of74

The Tesla Model 3 was revealed last night.

latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model-3-20160331-htmlstory.html

The wait is over.

Elon Musk unveiled Tesla's latest electric vehicle, the sleek Model 3, in front of a crowd of 800 people in Hawthorne and an enormous audience online via livestream.

This morning, Tesla began taking pre-orders for the vehicle -- envisioned as its first affordable electric car for the masses -- from customers who showed up at Tesla retail stores.

Online pre-orders started at 7:30 p.m. Pacific time, an hour earlier than planned.

My understanding is there have been over 130,000 reservations for the Model 3 already.

And yes I'm such a dork I took a few pictures of the video when the cars came out.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to spend some time drooling over this image...

IMG_8603.jpg

44 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

That car is gorgeous!  I want one.  lol

Yeah I have a strong WANT desire right now.

I want one too! But by the time they are imported here in Australia, etc etc the price is thought to be around 60k+. We pay more for everything, over and above exchange rate type more. Even for stuff like iTunes songs that aren't physically imported, just downloaded. It sucks.

I was seriously thinking of plunking down a deposit. It would be 2019 by the time I got the car so I would have time to save up! But I think I'll hold out until they make an SUV.

7 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

I was seriously thinking of plunking down a deposit. It would be 2019 by the time I got the car so I would have time to save up! But I think I'll hold out until they make an SUV.

https://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

Be prepared to fall in love. 

I like how the trunk is in the front of the car and it's called a frunk.  If a Tesla is in the UK, is it a froot?

Old VWs had the trunk in front because they had rear engines.

17 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

Once they get the Model 3 up to speed they might look at building the Model Y - which is rumored to be a crossover.  Maybe by 2019 they'll either be making the car or at the point where they'll be taking orders for it.

theverge.com/transportation/2015/10/6/9463149/tesla-model-y-teased-elon-musk-twitter

Last week, Musk tweeted in response to a follower who inquired about the design of the upcoming Model 3 — namely asking if it would be equipped with the falcon wing doors found on the Model X, which went on sale last week. Falcon wing doors harken back to the original gull wing doors first implemented on the 1952 Mercedes-Benz SL; Tesla's updated version is designed to make it easier to get in and out of the car (and it's a look long favored by car enthusiasts).

"There will be a Model 3 and a Model Y. One of the two will," Musk tweeted. The tweet was promptly deleted, but not before Tech Insider captured a screen shot of the mention.

Musk also suggested that the Model Y will be a crossover model, based on the upcoming Tesla Model 3 sedan. The Model 3 is a family sedan that will likely be priced in the $35,000 range — Tesla's most affordable product to date and one that takes aim at the BMW 3 Series. We already know that the Model 3 will include a range of body styles and it's possible that Model Y is part of that product plan. Meanwhile, Musk's Twitter feed is back to more pedestrian matters — including his positive review of Ridley Scott's film, The Martian.

I had a Nissan Rogue for a couple years.  Being in a Volt doesn't bother me but occasionally I do miss having a crossover size vehicle.  Especially when I have to haul stuff home or am on a road trip.

I am completely obsessed with Tesla. Mr. Tank Tops just rolls his eyes when I ask for one. :(

8 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Once they get the Model 3 up to speed they might look at building the Model Y - which is rumored to be a crossover.  Maybe by 2019 they'll either be making the car or at the point where they'll be taking orders for it.

theverge.com/transportation/2015/10/6/9463149/tesla-model-y-teased-elon-musk-twitter

I had a Nissan Rogue for a couple years.  Being in a Volt doesn't bother me but occasionally I do miss having a crossover size vehicle.  Especially when I have to haul stuff home or am on a road trip.

I've owned nothing but two-door hatchback cars since I was old enough to drive.  I'm over not having any space whatsoever.  When I go out of town for more than a night, it's like Tetris trying to pack the car.  My next vehicle will definitely be bigger.

4 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

I've owned nothing but two-door hatchback cars since I was old enough to drive.  I'm over not having any space whatsoever.  When I go out of town for more than a night, it's like Tetris trying to pack the car.  My next vehicle will definitely be bigger.

I'm waiting for the Chevy Bolt to come out later this year.  Looks like it's going to be a crossover. 

businessinsider.com/chevrolet-bolt-ev-ces-2016-4

Here's a video one of the people who got a ride took...

I want one badly BUT... Tesla is a niche manufacturer and we have no idea how they will handle mass manufacturing.  They have tech issues on the small number of vehicles they make now, what will it be like when there are tons?  I need to see how they handle making 250k+ cars and servicing them before I sign up.  

There's also a question as to whether they have the money to even make that many cars.  The thousand dollar deposit will be enough for them to seek investors, but they simply dont have the infrastructure right now to fulfill the orders. So either they get investors to build the factories or they go belly up.

If they're still around after this roll out I'm in but that remains to be seen. 

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, religiouslyconfused said:

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/no-free-superchargers-for-teslas-model-3-h2-stations-grow-in-ca/

Looks like you will have to pay extra for free Supercharger access for the Model 3. 

If I got a Tesla Model 3 I would probably only use Superchargers a few times a year so depending on how much the cost that might not be so bad.  I don't live near any Superchargers, even if they put in all the ones they said they would the nearest one would be about 70 miles from me.

Archived