IGNORED

Where do Fundies get their ideas about modesty and fashion?

muffynbear

A lot of Gothard's style rules are his personal preferences dressed up as Biblical "guidelines." The cultural (50s/60s) aspect of it is even more obvious if you look at the rules for guys (I mean "fellows"): "blue jeans", beards, and long hair on men are all outward signs of rebellion and therefore forbidden.

I'm reminded of this article on The Marriage Bed: site.themarriagebed.com/problems/desire/how-to-get-him-to-want-sex

It mentions that "The kind of provocative clothing worn when he was in high school is likely to be particularly effective... [to arouse your husband]". Boob most likely enjoys J'Chelle's hair don't for this reason. I'm going to try not to think about why he likes this style on his daughters.

You know, I can kind of see the logic here, but stuffing my slightly overweight 33-year-old body into a 90s bodysuit and miniskirt doesn't seem like a good idea.

What was considered provocative clothing in the early 80s, when the Duggars were teens? I'm picturing Michelle in a Jane Fonda leotard and leg warmers.

liltwinstar,

I've never worn a nursing jumper, but I think I can tell you how some nursing jumpers work. Most of them do have armholes that are really oversized. On some of those, the front of the armhole goes over the bust. Most moms would wear a t-shirt, turtleneck or a nursing top underneath. All mom has to do is to lift her shirt up from the bottom or pull open the nursing slit on her top, and perhaps pull the edge of the armhole over a bit and latch the baby on. It's not as weird as it sounds. I'd post a link if I could find one, but Motherwear doesn't make jumpers anymore. Some nursing jumpers just have a variation on the regular nursing opening found in other nursing clothes. At one time, LL Bean had jumpers that were open on the sides almost down to the waist rather like a pinafore, Those could have been great for nursing.

Ah, I found a link. You'll need to scroll way down to see the jumpers.http://katiesmercantile.com/maternity_nursing.html

I can tell you from experience that zippers and nursing apparel aren't a good mix. Ouch!

Part of the "skirts are modest for women" thing for some people is about not showing the split between the legs. You can find that brought up when someone argues against the "can't wear clothes made for men" argument with "but plenty of pants are made in explicitly feminine styles for women only, I can wear those right?" argument. No, you can't, because you can see where your legs join.

Similarly some people will wear skirts on top of pants (depending on the skirt and pants in question, it CAN look somewhat stylish, but... very much depending).

Kim from LiaS once said something to the effect that she was okay with her daughters wearing pants as long as it was an explicitly feminine style.

What I find odd about most modest dressing practices that they're supposed not to attract attention and end up doing the very opposite. It would make more sense to stick to "no cleavage, miniskirts or skin-tight garnments."

But I agree it's a slippery slope, I wouldn't be entirely surpised if Christian fundies didn't start advocating burqas, after all, even faces can be "defrauding".

Archived