IGNORED

Doug Philips is a tool (at best) and the now defunct Vision Forum - Part 3

Boogalou

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, CloakNDagger said:

Pretty sure that somehow they've managed to gag Lourdes at this point.

I want to down-vote that so bad... except the down-vote isn't meant to express being sad or angry, but to diss the commenter.

DP is all poised for his come-back, I take it? He's going to get his own show on the History Channel (in his dreams...) and become a trusted and respected public figure, eh? Sell lots of books. Maybe travel around the country giving history seminars.

(p.s. the "History Channel" thought came out of my own imagination, and has no basis in reality so far as I know)

On 27/04/2016 at 4:45 PM, hoipolloi said:

You are correct -- that was a Leica M8 and, IIRC, they actually had lenses for it as well. For an idea of what kind of $$ is involved here check out B & H Photo's listings for just the M series camera bodies. 

Here's a photo of le Dougie himself -- sword in one hand, Canon DSLR + L lens in other, which I'm guessing is the Canon EF 70-200 MM f/2.8L IS II USM Lens:

MedievalFestbest-0344.jpg

ETA: Yes, this is a camera buff speaking who fervently hopes that, someday, her ship will come in absolutely loaded with Canon L lenses of every type not to mention a fully equipped M-series Leica digital camera.

This picture.  I just can't.  Is like a friends-of-Dorothy ren faire outfit.

48 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Actually, any of my brothers would have looked at that picture, back in the day, and immediately labeled him a "flaming gay". (not meaning any offense; I'm remembering a long, long, time ago...)

3 hours ago, refugee said:

I want to down-vote that so bad... except the down-vote isn't meant to express being sad or angry, but to diss the commenter.

DP is all poised for his come-back, I take it? He's going to get his own show on the History Channel (in his dreams...) and become a trusted and respected public figure, eh? Sell lots of books. Maybe travel around the country giving history seminars.

(p.s. the "History Channel" thought came out of my own imagination, and has no basis in reality so far as I know)

Pretty sure C&D is stating that in a negative light, not sure why you want to "diss the commenter". 

4 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Pretty sure C&D is stating that in a negative light, not sure why you want to "diss the commenter". 

I don't want to "diss the commenter", actually, which is why I did *not* do the down-vote thingie.

However, that's how I have seen that gadget used here on FJ (sort of a way of tch-tching at a commenter) -- especially in flame wars where people are piling on someone who has raised the general ire.

I wanted to down-vote the thought that Lourdes has been gagged (down-voting the gagging, and the whole horrible situation), not down-vote C&D as the bearer of bad news.

I wish she could get both a large financial settlement *and* still have the right to tell the world just what kind of Tool the Tool is.

1 minute ago, refugee said:

I don't want to "diss the commenter", actually, which is why I did *not* do the down-vote thingie.

However, that's how I have seen that gadget used here on FJ -- especially in flame wars where people are piling on someone who has raised the general ire.

I wanted to down-vote the thought that Lourdes has been gagged (down-voting the gagging, and the whole horrible situation), not down-vote C&D as the bearer of bad news.

I wish she could get both a large financial settlement *and* still have the right to tell the world just what kind of Tool the Tool is.

Doh! I read it that way now; I confuzzled it in my head :-)

5 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Doh! I read it that way now; I confuzzled it in my head :-)

Confuzzled is a very good word, can I borrow it?

I really hope a settlement has been reached and that Lourdes is satisfied.  And that DPIAT and the other tools got burned.

I'll not be surprised if any settlement included a gag order but I will be very disappointed.

16 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Confuzzled is a very good word, can I borrow it?

I really hope a settlement has been reached and that Lourdes is satisfied.  And that DPIAT and the other tools got burned.

I'll not be surprised if any settlement included a gag order but I will be very disappointed.

The way I see it, if it means she chose to accept a settlement, then like it or not, she has to honor the gag order. I personally don't like it. I still think she should have just written a book or done something else about it BEFORE going to court.

48 minutes ago, CloakNDagger said:

The way I see it, if it means she chose to accept a settlement, then like it or not, she has to honor the gag order. I personally don't like it. I still think she should have just written a book or done something else about it BEFORE going to court.

To the bolded - absolutely!

To the rest, SOL plays a part.  There wasn't enough time to write a book prior to filing changes.  I'm not going to fault Lourdes about that.

I am now going to blow my top.  Not at CnD, but at what women are subjected to on a regular basis.

I have disclosed this on FJ before - I once blew the whistle and filed a sexual harassment charge on my immediate supervisor.   I did not experience what Lourdes did, but I filed with cause, believe me, with cause.  It was not done lightly or because I was a special snowflake.  I consider it the bravest and best thing I have ever done in my life - from both an ethical and moral point of view.

The sexual harassment charges and ensuing brouhaha after filing probably constitute the worst years of my life.  I got a PTSD dx out of it.   I settled out of court too.  The whole thing got too dirty.  The settlement was not enough $$ to "make me whole" ($$ don't do that) but enough to cover my costs and then some.  Enough to hurt the employer who wanted to ignore vile behavior - and to ensure the jerk had it on his record and could not do that to anyone again.  I also left that job, although I could have stayed, I did not trust my employer.  Their loss.  The details are, of course, confidential.  I am also gagged - so please don't ask. 

So, can we not criticize Lourdes if she has settled with a gag order.  Please? 

3 hours ago, CloakNDagger said:

I understand where you're coming from but Palimpsest is correct -- a settlement + gag order is probably the only route to a sort of justice for Lourdes in a case like this. Perhaps if DPIAT had really pushed it into a jury trial, as seemed possible at one point, then more of Lourdes' story could have been told. That would have been a 2-edged sword though as court stuff almost always is.

4 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

I understand where you're coming from but Palimpsest is correct -- a settlement + gag order is probably the only route to a sort of justice for Lourdes in a case like this. Perhaps if DPIAT had really pushed it into a jury trial, as seemed possible at one point, then more of Lourdes' story could have been told. That would have been a 2-edged sword though as court stuff almost always is.

Now? Of course. Honestly, though, a settlement does not feel like justice.

1 hour ago, CloakNDagger said:

Yes -- which is why I said "a sort of justice."

This whole situation sucks and it's absolutely galling that DPIAR seems to have gotten off very lightly. Yes, we don't know what the settlement terms are or if he had to pay out bigtime or admit to something, but he still appears to be living the high life, using the best of things (including expensive camera equipment), and doing pretty much whatever he feels like doing.

Is there any evidence that homeboy has an actual job -- as in showing up to work every day, doing assigned or necessary tasks, and being accountable? If there is, I haven't seen it.

My hope is that if this is a settlement and Lourdes is gagged, that others, who may have been silent up until not so as to not impact the case, would come forward and tell what they know.  Maybe BRADIRCK! will spill some beans, maybe Nolan will talk (probably via Astrological Charts and questionable mathematics ;-) ), maybe even someone like C&D will uncloak themselves and reveal a bit more of what they know.  Not sure who, when, or what but I hope it's someone of significance, soon, and lots.

1 hour ago, CloakNDagger said:

A settlement never feels like justice.  From my perspective, you settle for what you can get - without destroying bystanders.

I think I can say this with impunity.  One of the most credible witnesses on my behalf was someone that most of us would label a Fundie!  The jerk that harassed me made a big mistake.  He made a very nasty move right in front of said Fundie - probably because he thought he would get away with it.  

Said Fundie and I worked very well together and I still consider him as a good friend.  His deposition was a joy to read.  As a Christian - he was so truthful and detailed exactly what happened and how I had said "no" very loudly and clearly.  But then he said that my loud and clear "no" was an indication of my resistance to "authority."  My lawyer was deliriously happy with that statement within the context! 

The whole experience - and I have a lot of distance from it now - was an education in how people will react.  I was amazed by the people whose depositions reflected what they had seen - at considerable risk to themselves and their jobs.  I am forever grateful to them.

I was, and am still, appalled at the people who chucked me under the bus to protect themselves and their jobs. Some of them had been subjected to similar harassment.  We talked about it. I suppose they had their reasons - but they should be ashamed. 

Honestly, I feel that the silencing of Lourdes is further proof that the Doug Phillips is unethical and unrepentant. It's hush money to try and get past the mess that HE is responsible for.

9 minutes ago, CloakNDagger said:

Honestly, I feel that the silencing of Lourdes is further proof that the Doug Phillips is unethical and unrepentant. It's hush money to try and get past the mess that HE is responsible for.

Yes, CnD.  It burns.  But Lourdes had to protect herself.

Some day, some where, perhaps DPIAT will get his just punishment.  I hope it is within my lifetime.

9 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

*cracks knuckles*  Your friendly local Society for Creative Anachronism member here.  I saw the photo and damn near peed myself. The photo is super-klassy, y'all.  Where do I start?

First of all, the jpg is named "MedievalFestbest."  I humbly submit that no, this is not medieval, and no, it is not the best of anything except How Not To Be.  Firstly, with the yellow circle I'd like to bring your attention to that most medieval structure, the port-o-castle.  Perhaps it's subliminal association with the pile of dung in the foreground -- the one with the sword. It, along with the modern vehicles, make a perfect backdrop for the Tooliest of Tools.  But you know, SCA events and Ren Faires have to have port-o-johns and people have to get there somehow, so I'll give him a pass on that one.

WTAF is an above-ground pool (the aqua arrow) doing there?  I'm confused, to put it mildly.  Perhaps Toolio is planning to recreate the defeat of the Spanish Armada on a small scale?  Or maybe he plans manly romps after hours with his ultra-masculine wide-stanced minions as they cool off from the heat?  Just remember -- bathing suits didn't exist during the Middle Ages!  To be accurate to the era, you're gonna have to go nekkid!

Doug Phillips (helpfully labeled in a flattering shade of -- naturally -- lavender) is wearing a cheap, vaguely Shakespearean blouse shirt in what appears to be cotton muslin.  And if I don't miss my guess, that's either a Simplicity or a McCall's pattern that was used.  (Nota bene:  when I was first starting out in my hobby, I would have been proud to make such a nice shirt on a budget.  Many people focus on medieval stuff that isn't clothes, whatever floats their boat.  But DPIAT, who makes such a fuss about his fancy dress clothes being "just so", wearing a shirt that plain, lacking frills and volume and made out of the wrong fabric? That's darkly hilarious.  Think seeing Kanye West wearing a T-shirt and sweatpants from WalMart.)  The blatantly modern business casual khakis make the whole thing even funnier.  Add in the Viking-shield belt buckle and the Western-style shitkickers circled in light pink, and that outfit is a hot mess. Then there's the sword.  It would not surprise me if his sword is intended for decoration only -- a wall-hanger...but the style is more representative of 17th century weaponry.  So in a single outfit, there's about 1000 years of random crap thrown together.

But enough about ToolTime in the foreground.  Let's look at, er, is the kid in armor JTits?  Anyway, we have 15th century armor (orange-y arrow) on the upper half of a kid wearing a Utilikilt (pink arrow) -- AND bonus business casual khakis! (green arrow)  I can't tell from the photo if presumed JTits is wearing 14th century turnshoes (and if he is, more power to him cause that would be the most medievalish thing in the entire photo) or is he's wearing sandals with darker brown-gray socks.  And I'd bet cash money that the shield presumed JTits is carrying on his left arm is constructed in the Viking/Norse style.  Bonus points if the front is painted with a vaguely "Celtic" knotwork design.

Super-klassy, y'all.

MedievalFestbest-0344.jpg.9a3e9c14ae1ef85a4b144920893ff362.jpg

@Phoebe Great job! 

Here's another photo from the same event & a bonus photo (from another cosplay era) featuring DPIAR & his BFF Bill Potter dressed to celebrate their 25 years of friendship (2011):

MedievalFestbest-0391.jpg

Bill Potter & DPIAR July 2011.jpg

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

dressed to celebrate their 25 years of friendship

Is that a direct quote?  Is that a thing normal people do?

9 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

@Phoebe Great job! 

Here's another photo from the same event & a bonus photo (from another cosplay era) featuring DPIAR & his BFF Bill Potter dressed to celebrate their 25 years of friendship (2011):

MedievalFestbest-0391.jpg

Bill Potter & DPIAR July 2011.jpg

That top photo, oh man...such sad, sad  armor.  And from this photo, I can see that Presumptive JTits wasn't wearing a Utilikilt in the previously-snarked photo, but rather a Great Kilt fashioned from faux-suede.  Um, how do I put this?  NO.  JUST NO.  Also, faux suede is usually 100% polyester and breathes about as well as the average Hefty bag when it's hot out.  Let's just say that the stench coming off of PJTits after fighting in that outfit would be...distinctive.  JTit's armor is actually decent fantasy armor (I can't remember if it's brigandine or a coat of plates) that is backed on leather and fits correctly, even though he .  DPIAT, though, appears to be wearing armor that is made of pleather and is about 4 sizes too big.

I showed the lower picture to my Army veteran Fiance of Awesome and he has offered to "beat [ToolTime's] ass" on principle after I explained that Toolio cosplays WW2 stuff while wearing rank he hasn't earned and decorations he DEFINITELY did not earn.

11 hours ago, Phoebe said:

*cracks knuckles*  Your friendly local Society for Creative Anachronism member here.  I saw the photo and damn near peed myself. The photo is super-klassy, y'all.  Where do I start?

First of all, the jpg is named "MedievalFestbest."  I humbly submit that no, this is not medieval, and no, it is not the best of anything except How Not To Be.  Firstly, with the yellow circle I'd like to bring your attention to that most medieval structure, the port-o-castle.  Perhaps it's subliminal association with the pile of dung in the foreground -- the one with the sword. It, along with the modern vehicles, make a perfect backdrop for the Tooliest of Tools.  But you know, SCA events and Ren Faires have to have port-o-johns and people have to get there somehow, so I'll give him a pass on that one.

WTAF is an above-ground pool (the aqua arrow) doing there?  I'm confused, to put it mildly.  Perhaps Toolio is planning to recreate the defeat of the Spanish Armada on a small scale?  Or maybe he plans manly romps after hours with his ultra-masculine wide-stanced minions as they cool off from the heat?  Just remember -- bathing suits didn't exist during the Middle Ages!  To be accurate to the era, you're gonna have to go nekkid!

Doug Phillips (helpfully labeled in a flattering shade of -- naturally -- lavender) is wearing a cheap, vaguely Shakespearean blouse shirt in what appears to be cotton muslin.  And if I don't miss my guess, that's either a Simplicity or a McCall's pattern that was used.  (Nota bene:  when I was first starting out in my hobby, I would have been proud to make such a nice shirt on a budget.  Many people focus on medieval stuff that isn't clothes, whatever floats their boat.  But DPIAT, who makes such a fuss about his fancy dress clothes being "just so", wearing a shirt that plain, lacking frills and volume and made out of the wrong fabric? That's darkly hilarious.  Think seeing Kanye West wearing a T-shirt and sweatpants from WalMart.)  The blatantly modern business casual khakis make the whole thing even funnier.  Add in the Viking-shield belt buckle and the Western-style shitkickers circled in light pink, and that outfit is a hot mess. Then there's the sword.  It would not surprise me if his sword is intended for decoration only -- a wall-hanger...but the style is more representative of 17th century weaponry.  So in a single outfit, there's about 1000 years of random crap thrown together.

But enough about ToolTime in the foreground.  Let's look at, er, is the kid in armor JTits?  Anyway, we have 15th century armor (orange-y arrow) on the upper half of a kid wearing a Utilikilt (pink arrow) -- AND bonus business casual khakis! (green arrow)  I can't tell from the photo if presumed JTits is wearing 14th century turnshoes (and if he is, more power to him cause that would be the most medievalish thing in the entire photo) or is he's wearing sandals with darker brown-gray socks.  And I'd bet cash money that the shield presumed JTits is carrying on his left arm is constructed in the Viking/Norse style.  Bonus points if the front is painted with a vaguely "Celtic" knotwork design.

Super-klassy, y'all.

MedievalFestbest-0344.jpg.9a3e9c14ae1ef85a4b144920893ff362.jpg

@Phoebe OMG you caught a lot more in the above picture than I did.  I noticed the khakis and shoes on the Tool and the shield buckle (WTF?) on the belt.   Also I couldn't make out if JTits was a bad combination of samurai with khaki's underneath.

I am sure they are convinced that it's all authentic but to people actually immersed in historical costuming, it screams "no!"

I wish I could contact my WWII decorated veteran grandfather through a spiritual medium or something, just to come back for 5 minutes to BEAT THE TOOL'S ASS for wearing that uniform.  The unmitigated gall, it burns.

9 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Is that a direct quote?

Pretty much. Here's the original text below the photo both of which appeared in Doug's Blog, July 2011:

Bill [Potter] and Doug [Phillips Is A Rapist] Answer Your Questions

In honor of our 25 years together (and Bill’s visit to San Antonio), I want to offer all of our subscribers a special opportunity to do two things: First, following tomorrow night’s episode Bill and I will have a one hour audio broadcast in which we answer your questions. That will begin at about 8:00 p.m. (CDT). Make sure to send in your questions today or tomorrow at your earliest opportunity. The questions can be about any subject pertaining to DDay, but we prefer that you focus on the issues related to our first three episodes. We are going to try to answer them on a first come, first served basis, so the sooner you send them to us the likelier we will be to address the issues which are on your mind.

9 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Is that a thing normal people do?

I interpret your question as rhetorical but does anyone here think Doug Phillips and Bill Potter are normal?

ETA: Sure wish I'd managed to copy all of Doug's Blog before it went away but I do have a number of choice entries ranging from 2003 to 2013. In other words, there's plenty more shite where this came from.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived