IGNORED

Hopefully I'll be having bariatric surgery

47of74

I might have said this somewhere here before, but I've been working towards having bariatric surgery done.  Specifically the gastric sleeve where they remove part of the stomach to reduce the size of the stomach.

I got to meet the surgeon the other day.  Feels good to have things moving again with the surgery.  Doctor thinks I'll lose about 1/2 my weight if I have the surgery and I do what I'm supposed to afterwards.  Next up is the EKG.  I hope the insurance company lets me have the surgery, I plan on fighting for it if they say no.

• 2 months later...

My insurance company isn't on board with the idea of me having the surgery.  Ugh.  Getting the appeals process started now.  I wish people would understand that it's not a case of people running to do this right away as a shortcut around diet and exercise, it's  a drastic measure for people who haven't been able to lose weight even if they exercise 8 hours a day and eat rice cakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I hope you're successful, and I think it's heinous that they're trying to deny you.  your health will improve in the long run.

my mom had gastric bypass done about 10 years ago, she had been obese for 25+ years and had gained and lost the same 100 pounds at least eight times.  post-surgery, she went from 360 to 210, has kept it off, went off most of her previous meds (just on high BP now), feels better, exercises more, has better mobility at age 69 than she did at 55, and is in better general health than before the surgery.

all the best to you, 47of74, I hope the insurance bureaucrats see some logic for you.

• 1 month later...

Any update? I've been thinking about the same type of surgery, but neither my husband nor my (adult) daughter are at all supportive, so I haven't moved forward with planning or even seeing if insurance would pay!

Archived