IGNORED

Plant disease - general info

OnceUponATime

Does anyone have any useful links for identifying what is wrong with plants?

1 hour ago, OnceUponATime said:

Does anyone have any useful links for identifying what is wrong with plants?

That is a very wide topic. What's going on, maybe I can help.

@Ungodly Grandma I made it general on purpose. I used to have a good website with lots of photos for identifying problems with veggies but I lost it :( I'm trying to find a new one(or two) to replace it with.

I currently have a sick looking lemon tree (I'm assuming cold shock) and avocado tree (assuming salt or watering problems). If you know anything about them I can take photos :)

10 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

@Ungodly Grandma I made it general on purpose. I used to have a good website with lots of photos for identifying problems with veggies but I lost it :( I'm trying to find a new one(or two) to replace it with.

I currently have a sick looking lemon tree (I'm assuming cold shock) and avocado tree (assuming salt or watering problems). If you know anything about them I can take photos :)

Indoors or out? I'm generally better out, but with lemons and avocados, I've grown both inside. (I make my living gardening.) 

Your local cooperative extension is always good. 

4 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Indoors or out? I'm generally better out, but with lemons and avocados, I've grown both inside. (I make my living gardening.) 

Are you familiar with cold-hardy avocado varieties? 

How did you keep avocadoes from getting too big to be inside -- do they espalier well?

42 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Are you familiar with cold-hardy avocado varieties? 

How did you keep avocadoes from getting too big to be inside -- do they espalier well?

I was not very successful with my avocados, I just do not have a long enough season, even with a glasshouse. Probably that's why I am familiar with their problems! And not familiar with them getting too big. I did get a few small fruit, but nothing much at all.

Just now, Ungodly Grandma said:

I was not very successful with my avocados, I just do not have a long enough season, even with a glasshouse. Probably that's why I am familiar with their problems! And not familiar with them getting too big. I did get a few small fruit, but nothing much at all.

Darn, because where I am has a very short season as well.  I had hoped the cold-hardy varieties could handle that.

I tried two avocado plants a few years ago, but in autumn when I brought them indoors for the winter they ended up with some kind of gnatlike pest (in the soil more than on the leaves), and when life became overwhelming (it was when dear departed dog was ill/dying) I couldn't deal and put the pots back outside where of course they did not survive the winter. 

I'm going to try again though, because there is a nice little local-food movement going on in my area, and my particular interest is in producing high-calorie/high-fat foods that are not meat.  So basically, seeds, nuts, and avocados.  And given how many avocados I personally eat, that seems like the one I should focus on.  Will report back if I have any success!

• 3 weeks later...

How do I get rid of the black spots on the leaves of my little reddish shrub? I can post a picture of it once it's daylight. Hoping this is not going to kill it :(

• 4 weeks later...

A guide to plant diseases with pics would be helpful. I've lost many vegetable plants because I treated to wrong problem, or treated them too late. Goggle tactics :google-tactics: hasn't been my friend. Searching yellowing leaves or whatnot is right up there with a WedMD symptom search.

• 1 year later...

Archived