IGNORED

Crockpot Recipes & Tips

batwing

tolovehonorandvacuum.blogspot.com/2011/06/women-have-it-good.html

I guess I need to remember this next time my PMS-related ocular migraine renders me blind while careening down the freeway. At least I'm not a man! Then I might be subjected to trying not to look at bewbies and learning how to fix stuff.

At school, we girls can bicker and insult each other, but if we shy away from actually throwing a punch, people don’t question our bravery. If a guy were to refuse to stand up to a bully, though, he’d be labelled “a girlâ€.

And why is "girl" an insult? Oh right, sexism.

Wait a minute. Guys aren't allowed to laugh at me because I'm kind of fail at oil changes and fixing a flat tire? I'm supposed to have "the man" deal with contractors and insurance people when things go tits up around the house? No one is supposed to make fun of me when I cry at ASPCA commercials? REALLY? Can I get a doctor's note or something?

No one is supposed to make fun of me when I cry at ASPCA commercials?

+1

The other day a coworker showed me (and others) a Google Chrome commercial where the guy writes emails to his kid, and I teared up in front of a bunch of people. The only thing worse than crying at work is having everyone else look at you like, "We watched the same thing, and you're the only one who's crying."

I am just saying, I lead my kids all over Boston the past 3 days by ASKING DIRECTIONS. When DH was with us, it took us MUCH LONGER because he "knew" our street was just another block up..... Ummmmm, yeah..

Do women have it bad? Of course we do. We’ve got PMS and pain and superwoman syndrome and pressure to be a size 4 and soccer practice and hot flashes. But let’s not pretend that we’re alone in our suffering.

I'm glad the only problems women face have to do with our bodies.

No one is supposed to make fun of me when I cry at ASPCA commercials? REALLY? Can I get a doctor's note or something?

I would make fun of somebody for crying at ASPCA commercials, because they're such a con. (they don't do all that they want you to think that they do. If you're going to give money to a shelter, give it to your local shelters.)

But then I was crying when listening to an interview on the radio earlier today- it was with an organization that provides camps for the siblings of kids with cancer. I am familiar with it because they started out by renting a camp next to the one I attended for many years.

No one is supposed to make fun of me when I cry at ASPCA commercials?

No one laughs at me for crying at ASPCA commercials... mostly because I threaten violence if they do. Those commercials are sad! (mostly I just mute the T.V. and look away until the impossibly long commercials are over)

I'm glad the only problems women face have to do with our bodies.

Word. I mean, body stuff is all I ever stress about. Why should I give a damn about finances, finishing my dissertation, etc.?

My grandfather cried two months ago when they closed the casket on his wife of almost 58 years. No one at the funeral "giggle[d] and back[ed] away slowly". Instead, for the past couple of months a steady stream of people have stopped by his house to make sure he's ok. Anyone who would laugh at that would be a complete and total douchebag. What a shallow worldview this woman has.

• 2 years later...

Would anyone be willing to share a favorite slow cooker recipe (or link)? I'm trying to start using mine, but there are just SO many recipes out there! :pink-shock: I'd be ever so grateful for a specific recommendation :)

I love this recipe, served over rice or in tortillas

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-ch ... -yum-89204

I use frozen corn and dried black beans soaked overnight. I also add cilantro and have added other veggies as well. It's SO easy to put together and is a complete meal. I'm sure canned corn and beans are fine, but SO and I don't like really salty foods, so I cut out sodium as much as possible.

That website has usually led me to good recipes. I like how users can rate the recipes. I normally read a few reviews for other ideas about the recipe beforehand, which has been helpful.

ETA slow cooker recipes are on the front page of the website (food.com) if you would care to browse :)

I use frozen corn and dried black beans soaked overnight. I also add cilantro and have added other veggies as well. It's SO easy to put together and is a complete meal. I'm sure canned corn and beans are fine, but SO and I don't like really salty foods, so I cut out sodium as much as possible.

That website has usually led me to good recipes. I like how users can rate the recipes. I normally read a few reviews for other ideas about the recipe beforehand, which has been helpful.

ETA slow cooker recipes are on the front page of the website (food.com) if you would care to browse :)

Thanks!! Sounds delicious

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember where I got this from but it's been a favorite for years. Super easy to throw together. (Just had leftovers for lunch today.)

Southwestern Pork Stew

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, chopped

3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 pounds pork boneless shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces

1/4 cup cornmeal

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 can (15–16 ounces) chili beans in sauce, undrained

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and mild chilies, undrained

1 cup chicken broth

2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed

Directions:

Place onion and garlic in 3-1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker. Top with pork. Mix cornmeal, cumin, oregano and salt; sprinkle over pork and mix well. Add beans, tomatoes and broth; mix well. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours. Stir in corn. Cover and cook on low heat setting about 30 minutes or until corn is tender.

6 servings

Nutritional info per serving: Calories 290 (calories from fat 90); Fat 10g (saturated 3g); Cholesterol 70mg; Sodium 770mg; Carbohydrates 23g; Fiber 4g; Protein 31g

I prefer pork over any other meat in the slow cooker. Probably because of the fat content of pork.

I do a really easy green chili pork. Basically buy a shoulder or other cheap cut when it's on sale. Throw it in the crock-pot with a jar of salsa verde and let it cook. When you get home, turn off the crock-pot, take out of the meat, let it sit to cool, then shred with some forks. I usually serve with tortillas, rice, more salsa verde, and some cheese to make your own burritos. But it also works on rice in a bowl.

Anyone have Crock pot soup recipes? Preferably something with potatoes since that's what I have a lot of now.

If you rinse canned beans really well you can cut out a lot of the sodium.

Otherwise, I'm totally trying your recipe this weekend. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm trying to cook from scratch more regularly. I have a shiny new crockpot that I've only used once. Does anyone have favorite crockpot recipes to share? 

Also, the one time I used it was a couple of weeks ago. The recipe called for the dry pasta to be added an hour before the meal was cooked. Unfortunately, I wasn't home, so I had to ask Mr. Tank Tops to add the pasta and water. I asked him to add 1 cup of water, but I'm pretty sure he added a cup, unmeasured (he says he measured it). :pb_lol: The entire dish was ruined because the pasta turned to mush. Now I'm paranoid about that happening again. Any tips? 

Hi Friend!

I didn't post any recipes in here, because most of my crockpot recipes come from the internet/pinterest, which I am sure you are already doing.  But I am excited for you to break out your crockpot and experiment! My favorite things to make in the crockpot are soups and shredded chicken stew-type meals.  Oo and I am really into a Thai chicken curry recipe I found once.

My crockpot is so unfancy and basic, that it doesn't even have an automatic shut off or anything.  It is only a manual turn on and off switch, so I can't leave it when I know I am spending the whole day at school/work.  But, it is still a godsend.

Hi @RabbitKM! Thanks for the response! 

We aren't really soup people, so right now I'm looking for recipes that are more solid or whatever. :pb_lol: 

If you want to link to your top couple of recipes, feel free! I get overwhelmed by all of the recipes online, to be honest. 

Oh, I love my Crockpot! Slow cookers can be used for so many different things! About the only things I haven't tried yet (but want to some day) are bread recipes and things like that. 

I am not so great with actual recipes -- I tend to just dump stuff together. But one thing my family loves is ribs. We use boneless ribs ... just dump several things of boneless ribs in there, add a spice rub (whatever your family likes), some brown sugar, several cloves of garlic, set it on high for an hour, then set on low for six to eight hours. For the last hour or two, add a favorite barbecue sauce. Deeeelicious. 

Pot roast also does well in a Crockpot. You can find a million pot roast recipes online. Add your veggies the last few hours of cooking. Poultry does surprisingly well and always comes out super tender (never dry or overcooked). Another thing my family likes is with diced potatoes, onions and kielbasa -- that one only takes a few hours, and you toss some cheese over the top the last little bit of cooking. Seriously, just play with it. If you can cook it stovetop, you can also cook it in your slow cooker in most cases. 

I don't necessarily use recipes when I use the crockpot. I just dump things into the Crockpot that seems like they would work.

Since you are not wanting soup recipes, you could try doing some meat or poultry in the crockpot. Roasts go well with potatoes, onion, and carrots. Just add a little seasoning and turn it on. It is that easy. You could also add some sort of sauce. Barbecue sauces would work well with chicken cooked in a crockpot.

I have never tried doing pasta in the crockpot, so I have no tips about what went wrong with it.

One of my favorite non soup recipes is Kalua Pig. Take a pork butt roast. put liquid smoke and hawaiian sea salt on it. (rub in like a tablespoon of each, maybe some more salt, ymmv). Put in the the slow cooker on low. Leave it there until it's done, 8-20 hours later. 

Archived