Blahblah

Pick a favourite:

The Graveyard Book always. 

But then again,  Neverwhere.

And also The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

I know I'm not the only one here who adores Mr Gaiman.

The Ocean at the end of the lane.

The Graveyard Book.

Stardust.

The truth is a cave in the Black Mountains.

The Sandman.

All the rest :)

He's one of my favourites authors, along with Terry Pratchett.

American Gods

Anansi Boys

The Graveyard Book

Ocean At....

Yes, Mr.Pratchett, may he flow with the World Turtle evermore.

The Ocean at the end of the lane is awesome in audiobook form.

• 2 weeks later...

The audio version of the Graveyard book is read by Neil Gaiman himself and it's awesome. (I think he recorded most of his books, if not all.)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I recently finished Neverwhere (and loveloveloved it!), but am about 80% through American Gods and am not liking it so much.

Does it get better? Should I continue with the series? Am I just not getting it for some reason?

7 hours ago, EyeQueue said:

am about 80% through American Gods and am not liking it so much.

I read Anansi Boys (loved this book!) before I read American Gods, and I remember how interesting it was that there was a cross-over character.  That said, I felt I needed a firmer background in mythology/folklore to really get into American Gods.  So, I had a hard time with it, too, but it was probably one of those books I needed to study some of the underlying themes before launching.

OK, just finished American Gods and ended up coming around. I think, like @CTRLZero mentions above, that had I known more about the various gods/goddesses/culture heroes/etc. being referenced, I might not have been such a resistant reader to it. :)

I was most interested in the Lakeside subplot. I never really, however, got into Shadow as a character. I think there needs to be something more there.

I'm going to give the sequel a shot, though. I think, though, that I'm first going to read The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

American Gods is one of my favorite books, even though it wasn't so much of a page-turner for me toward the end. This is so cheesy, but where it really resonated for me was gripping with how I felt about (U.S.) American heritage. It was a really rich interpretation, to me at least.

I've read some Sandman, Coraline, and short stories, but need to dedicate serious time to his other novels. I have to admit that my interest in Neil Gaiman has unfortunately been largely celebrity ever since he married Amanda Palmer (I love them both so much).

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed Stardust & the Anansi Boys, but haven't read too many of his other books. I did try to read Good Omens, but as I'd gotten that book to read while waiting during my father's open heart surgery, I couldn't really concentrate/or get into it.

I met him back in November 2014 (when he & Amanda did a mini book tour in NYS; this was pre-baby). He's an awesome individual, & I'll freely admit to having a major crush on him.

Archived