IGNORED

Sierra Jo Dominguez Abysmal Wedding Planner Part 3

Boogalou

1 hour ago, nst said:

what I didn't get was when Derick said Spurgeon was his first naturalized nephew and that was exciting

Don't the M kids count ?or do they not count because of Josh and the banning 

I never saw Derick act like that around the M kids 

Wait...he said that?! Is there a clip? That sounds....weird.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Sierra posted a thing about her great-grandma turning 80.  It also mentions the great-grandma has 7 great-great-grandchildren.  An 80 year old who is a great-great-grandma seems young to me for some reason. 

If everybody has a baby at say, 22, 22-44-66 could be a great before 70!

9 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

If everybody has a baby at say, 22, 22-44-66 could be a great before 70!

Yeah, but Sierra's great-grandma is her kids' great-great-grandma. If she's 80 now, she would have been around 74 when Sierra's first was born (I'm assuming he is the oldest of that generation). A great-great-grandma at 74 IS really crazy.

Everyone would have to be REALLY young, like 18-ish young, for that to work. Think about it. 74 (great-great-grandma's age at the birth of her first great-great-grandchild) - 18 = 56 (great-grandma) - 18 = 38 (grandma) - 18 = 20 (mother, i.e. Sierra). I think Sierra was 20 when her first was born, so that could be exactly right, actually, though I guess it's possible that someone was 17 and someone was 19 or so.

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

Yeah, but Sierra's great-grandma is her kids' great-great-grandma. If she's 80 now, she would have been around 74 when Sierra's first was born (I'm assuming he is the oldest of that generation). A great-great-grandma at 74 IS really crazy.

Everyone would have to be REALLY young, like 18-ish young, for that to work. Think about it. 74 (great-great-grandma's age at the birth of her first great-great-grandchild) - 18 = 56 (great-grandma) - 18 = 38 (grandma) - 18 = 20 (mother, i.e. Sierra). I think Sierra was 20 when her first was born, so that could be exactly right, actually, though I guess it's possible that someone was 17 and someone was 19 or so.

I missed a generation. You guys are right.

9 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

It is really not that complicated. I have fun explaining it.  (If you don't want it explained, skip to the next msg.)

The children of siblings are first cousins to each other.

The children of first cousins are second cousins to each other.

The children of second cousins are third cousins to each other. . . And so on.

The "removes" come between generations.

The child of my first cousin is my first cousin once removed. 

(In the other diection, the first cousin of one of my parents is also my first cousin once removed.)

The child of my second cousin is my second cousin once removed.  And so on.

The child of my first cousin once removed is my first cousin twice removed. And so on.

To put it in Duggar terms,

Amy is first cousin of Jill and Jessa.  She is first cousin once removed to Izzy and Spurge.

Izzy and Spurge are first cousins to each other.  If Amy has a child, he or she would be second cousins to Izzy and Spurge, but first cousins once removed to Jill and Jessa.

23 years from now, when Izzy and his bride have a child and Spurge and his bride have a child, TLC can have a show about the babies called Two Third Cousins and Counting.

(Maybe I will watch it at the nursing home and bore everyone with my explanation of first, second and third cousins.)

Thankyou for explaining it. I have never understood how the whole cousin thing really works. 

I have a whole gym full of cousins on my Dads side. Hopefully I can now sort them all out to explain to my sons.

7 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Wait...he said that?! Is there a clip? That sounds....weird.

he said it in the last two episodes 

5 minutes ago, nst said:

he said it in the last two episodes 

Can somebody explain what they mean by "naturalized?" The only meaning I know relates to citizenship

16 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Sierra posted a thing about her great-grandma turning 80.  It also mentions the great-grandma has 7 great-great-grandchildren.  An 80 year old who is a great-great-grandma seems young to me for some reason. 

My great grandmother became one at age 57 (to put that in perspective, my mom was 62 when her oldest grandchild was born).  
She, my grandmother, and my aunt were all moms before their 20th birthday.  (My mom was 30 when I, her oldest, was born)

4 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Can somebody explain what they mean by "naturalized?" The only meaning I know relates to citizenship

that's my point. To me it doesn't make sense because of the M kids- now unless they totally and I mean (jill and derick) hate josh and anna and that reflects how Derick sees them. 

It doesn't make sense to me. 

all nieces and nephews are related to the sister of the bad brother yes 

12 minutes ago, nst said:

that's my point. To me it doesn't make sense because of the M kids- now unless they totally and I mean (jill and derick) hate josh and anna and that reflects how Derick sees them. 

It doesn't make sense to me. 

all nieces and nephews are related to the sister of the bad brother yes 

Yeah that doesn't make sense. Now if Derick's brother had a kid, I would understand. My sister had a few nieces and nephews before my kids were born. She was excited to get a niece or nephew she was biologically related to.

I've never heard the word "naturalized" used when talking about nieces or nephews. Is this a thing or is Derick just an idiot?

4 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I've never heard the word "naturalized" used when talking about nieces or nephews. Is this a thing or is Derick just an idiot?

I think Derick is an idiot 

but if Jill and Derick are publicly banning Josh, Anna and the kids MORE Power to them 

and that it what it sounds like. 

3 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Could be both. Like Dr. Who, is he a genius or is he mad? Answer, yes.

Derick is an idiot. My mother has 1 Neice & 1 Nephew. They are not biologically hers but they are to my father.  

Spurge is no more biologically related to Derick than the M kids. He's clearly stupid. Does he think that the M kids are less "related" because they came out of Anna's body or something?

35 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Spurge is no more biologically related to Derick than the M kids. He's clearly stupid. Does he think that the M kids are less "related" because they came out of Anna's body or something?

That's exactly what I think he meant :( 

7 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

this could be it 

7 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

The M kids are not guilty of their father being an ass. I hate derick again.

I hate Derick, Josh and Anna

9 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

My great grandmother became one at age 57 (to put that in perspective, my mom was 62 when her oldest grandchild was born).  
She, my grandmother, and my aunt were all moms before their 20th birthday.  (My mom was 30 when I, her oldest, was born)

My great-grandmother became grandmother to my mom at the age of 35.  I had my second child at the age of 35.  

(My great-grandmother died young, otherwise she would have been 65 when I was born.) 

8 hours ago, nst said:

I think Derick is an idiot 

but if Jill and Derick are publicly banning Josh, Anna and the kids MORE Power to them 

and that it what it sounds like. 

I have no idea what "naturalized" means in this context.  

I wonder if what Derick meant is that Spurge is the first nephew he (Derick) has had since he (he) became a father and learned how to deal with kids. (Remember in his 25 things he likes about Jill, he included something about her helping him get used to a little baby.) The Dillards and Seewalds spent time together when Jill and Derick were new parents and Ben and Jessa were expecting.  And they have been Skyping all this time.  Maybe he meant that Spurge is the first nephew who he feels natural (comfortable) around.

I would be surpised if they were "ignoring" or excluding the M-kids from consideration.  But remember that by the time Derick joined the family, Josh and Anna had three kids and were at a different stage in their lives and either living in DC or about to move to DC.   

(For the record, my exclusion of the M kids from my example of types of cousins was just because it was simpler/quicker.  )

28 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

My great-grandmother became grandmother to my mom at the age of 35.  I had my second child at the age of 35.  

(My great-grandmother died young, otherwise she would have been 65 when I was born.) 

My grandmother became a grandmother when she was 44.  My grandmother had her youngest (my mother) when she was 36.  My mother became an aunt when she was 7.  My mother and her sister are farther apart in age than my mother and I are.  My mother was 36 when my oldest was born (her grandmotherhood).  I was 37 when my youngest was born.  I am about to be 45 and not a grandmother.

Anyway, I guess if my math is right, my grandmother became a great great grandmother when she was 87.  She died when she was 89.  I don't find this to be unusual.  If I make it to 89 i hope to have a great great grandchild.  But don't listen to me, I'm just an ignorant backwoods slut from the south.  

2 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I wonder if what Derick meant is that Spurge is the first nephew he (Derick) has had since he (he) became a father and learned how to deal with kids.

But Meredith was born in July, three months after Izzy and fourth months before Spurge. 

Just now, Bethella said:

But Meredith was born in July, three months after Izzy and fourth months before Spurge. 

Yes. But Meredith is niece, not nephew.  Plus one may feel more comfortable with babies after roughly a year of parenting than only three or four months of new parenthood. Derick got to give big-brotherly advice to Ben and has been more "aware" of Spurgeon than he probably was of any M kids-- including Meredith who was born at a time when Derick was probably more concerned with the toll the revelation about the molestations was having on Jill than with other children than his own.

So I can understand Derick feeling closer to/ more interest in Spurge than in other nieces and nephews even if those others weren't Josh's kids.  

4 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Yes. But Meredith is niece, not nephew.  Plus one may feel more comfortable with babies after roughly a year of parenting than only three or four months of new parenthood. Derick got to give big-brotherly advice to Ben and has been more "aware" of Spurgeon than he probably was of any M kids-- including Meredith who was born at a time when Derick was probably more concerned with the toll the revelation about the molestations was having on Jill than with other children than his own.

So I can understand Derick feeling closer to/ more interest in Spurge than in other nieces and nephews even if those others weren't Josh's kids.  

I still don't buy it. Derick's met Spurgeon all of one time and he's going to ignore his four other nieces and nephews while talking about Spurge being his "naturalized nephew". Something is off with the situation.

3 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I still don't buy it. Derick's met Spurgeon all of one time and he's going to ignore his four other nieces and nephews while talking about Spurge being his "naturalized nephew". Something is off with the situation.

Maybe it has something to do with the whole "sins of the father" thing in the Bible?

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived