IGNORED

Hair Color (at home) 9-1-1

Escapefromfundiedom

Help! I need help...and I figure where better to start that the great Hive.

I have naturally dark blonde hair. About twice a year I get the (stupid) idea to try to go more blonde and usually it ends in disaster but I manage to get amnesia and try again in 6-8 months. Which is where I am now...

My naturally blonde hair tends to pull very reddish tones when I try to go even a single shade lighter, so today, when I tried an medium ash blonde (ash to counteract the red), plus a product called UnRed mixed in (- which I thought would eliminate my usual post-dye panic post), my hair is now red on top...but get this - the unRed worked *too much* on the ends of some strands of hair, so I now have a delightfully zany (not) mix of garish ugly red and weirdy ash green. FML. The ash parts aren't that bad...I think it will fade out ok, but the red...ugh. It's really unsightly.
What now? I cannot afford to go to a salon and have this fixed...I don't want to do anything more extreme (ie - bleach is not an option). Any advice?

Gah. stupid me.

On 3/9/2016 at 10:01 PM, Escapefromfundiedom said:

Help! I need help...and I figure where better to start that the great Hive.

I have naturally dark blonde hair. About twice a year I get the (stupid) idea to try to go more blonde and usually it ends in disaster but I manage to get amnesia and try again in 6-8 months. Which is where I am now...

My naturally blonde hair tends to pull very reddish tones when I try to go even a single shade lighter, so today, when I tried an medium ash blonde (ash to counteract the red), plus a product called UnRed mixed in (- which I thought would eliminate my usual post-dye panic post), my hair is now red on top...but get this - the unRed worked *too much* on the ends of some strands of hair, so I now have a delightfully zany (not) mix of garish ugly red and weirdy ash green. FML. The ash parts aren't that bad...I think it will fade out ok, but the red...ugh. It's really unsightly.
What now? I cannot afford to go to a salon and have this fixed...I don't want to do anything more extreme (ie - bleach is not an option). Any advice?

Gah. stupid me.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod620020

This might work. I haven't tried it though.  

29 minutes ago, Gossamer1 said:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod620020

This might work. I haven't tried it though.  

Thanks...I don't think that will work because it's not really the color deposited that's the problem...it's the lifting pigment from my natural color that made it reddish. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Anytime you want to darken blonde you need to use an auburn or anything with a tint of red to it to prevent the blonde from turning green. Sounds like at this point it needs stripped.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. I think you need to bleach. 

To minimize the damage from the bleach, saturate you hair and scalp in coconut oil. When I bleached, it helped to minimize splits and breakage. The bleach will eat through the coconut oil, so don't worry about an incomplete job. If you can afford to go to a salon for a color correction, Olaplex works wonders, but I've no idea how much it costs. 

After bleaching, do a protein treatment. I like Aphogee's one-step treatment. You can get it at Sally's and it's pretty cheap too.

Is the red a bright, Manic Panic red, or is it a gingery natural color? 

• 3 weeks later...

Bleach! Really, I know you said you don't want to be extreme, but stripping your hair is going to be your best bet and grab some Olaplex asap. It is pricey though and you might be running close to a less expensive salon visit given the cost of everything you have put into it. That is crappy news....I am sorry, but it CAN be saved. 

Thanks for the input all of you! I let my hair sit a few weeks and then used Natural Instincts (non-permanent) "brass free" lightest brown. It toned down the orange to a point where I can live with it until it grows out. It's not manic panic red...it's more just ginger. Now that it's darker it looks less ridiculous in most lights. For a girl who's part Irish, red hair really does NOT work with my complexion, or my green eyes. More's the pity...

We are in a tight spot financially for awhile until we get our business off the ground. I have always been super low maintenance with my hair, but I told the hubs today...once we have money again, I am going to be a woman who gets her hair done. I'll have to find a way to make it reasonable (like balayage or something) so I don't have to do it ALL the time...but I want to be somewhat blonde and I don't want to keep screwing up the at home color.

For now I'll just chock it up to taming my natural vanity a bit. ;-)

I have found that some staff at Sally's Beauty Supply can be very informative. The problem is finding a staff that doesn't just say "um......I don't know" every time you ask a question. When I found a lady who seemed to know a lot I asked what her schedule is lol! My eldest likes to play around with her hair. I refuse to help her lighten it though. Doing it at home has never really gone well for me either. I will do purple and teal......just not blonde.

On 4/18/2016 at 7:39 PM, Grimalkin said:

I have found that some staff at Sally's Beauty Supply can be very informative. The problem is finding a staff that doesn't just say "um......I don't know" every time you ask a question. When I found a lady who seemed to know a lot I asked what her schedule is lol! My eldest likes to play around with her hair. I refuse to help her lighten it though. Doing it at home has never really gone well for me either. I will do purple and teal......just not blonde.

The staff at my Sally's are hit or miss...one guy was pretty condescending about me even attempting at home, I sort of got the "oooh gurrrl, no you di-int, you gotta get that done by a profeshunul!" treatment...lol

in other news - Loooooooove (!!!) your profile pic.

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry OP, hair coloring at home can be difficult! The next time you want to go blonder, I suggest L'oreal's Les Blondessimes, it makes my light brown hair into a pretty natural medium blonde, so I'm sure it can get your hair lighter. It's not too bad for your hair or too expensive either. For your current predicament, I'd suggest a ColorOops by Loreal product, it should get any dye out of your hair, then washing your hair with dish soap, then using a L'oreal Superior Preference hair color in your natural color to cover any remaining issues. We did this when my mom majorly messed up her hair with dollar store dye, it didn't turn out quite as nice before the dyeing, but it looked a thousand times better. 

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to update this thread with stuff I've learned since that debacle...

First off, I used another drug store brand hair color kit in a dark-ish blonde shade (it was L'Oreal something) and that corrected things enough for it to be livable until it grew out...BUT I had a really bad skin reaction to the color, which led to a terrifying google session regarding hair color reactions (yikes). I discovered that Ion makes a PPD -free hair color line available at Sally's and I"ve been using that ever since.

My strategy right now is a light ash blonde creme color + 30 vol. developer applied with a brush to thin sections (I watched a bunch of balayage videos on Youtube). That gives me enough of a highlight in the shade I want to keep me happy and disaster free. I am planning on getting my hair professionally done soon because I want a more dramatic change and anytime I go anywhere near my roots, I get carrot orange. But for normal wear, the ion PPD color creme plus the developer is working great!

• 4 months later...

I have a problem with hot roots, too.  My hair pulls very red.  I absolutely cannot do blonde at home.  I go to Master Cuts. They do a good job on my highlights, and it runs about 100 USD for a full head.

Archived