IGNORED

Duggars cooking and gardening - part 2

Boogalou

I love going to dollar stores in other countries, as well as grocery stores. I just find it interesting.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing I buy in other countries are the reusable plastic bags from supermarkets. I have a huge collection. In Denmark they had one with the "Rundetaarn" on it for like 0,60€. Pretty cheap for a souvenir I'd say! :)

Dollar stores are also a must! They often have these baskets with even more reduced prices and I love looking trough them. 

And well, I went to IKEA when I was on holiday in Spain recently. ;-)

33 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

The first thing I buy in other countries are the reusable plastic bags from supermarkets. I have a huge collection. In Denmark they had one with the "Rundetaarn" on it for like 0,60€. Pretty cheap for a souvenir I'd say! :)

Mr. J came back from India a few years ago with the coolest shopping bags. :)

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I love going to dollar stores in other countries, as well as grocery stores. I just find it interesting.

My favorite part of a lot of grocery stores abroad is the American import section. I get the impression that Germans think of marshmallow fluff as the most quintessentially American food, since they have jars and jars of it in every AMERIKA part of the international aisle.

@nastyhobbitses

The store I go to every week has recently started to include lots of international food. The US part features peanut butter, mac & cheese, brownies, maple sirup ? (that brown stuff that comes over pancakes, at least in the films...) and yes marshmallows. 

Are there German sections in US stores too? 

Just now, Gobbles said:

@nastyhobbitses

The store I go to every week has recently started to include lots of international food. The US part features peanut butter, mac & cheese, brownies, maple sirup ? (that brown stuff that comes over pancakes, at least in the films...) and yes marshmallows. 

There are, mostly in areas that have more people of German descent. Lots of sausage and bratwurst spice mixes, plus bread and pastries. Plus German beers. I'd say the biggest import sections you'll see in most American grocery stores are Mexican and East Asian, which makes sense given the US's overall demographics. The biggest import sections I see in UK supermarkets tend to be Afro-Caribbean and South Asian, which also makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

@nastyhobbitses

I haven't seen one locally (northeastern US) in a regular grocery, but I go to a German butcher who imports a lot of goods as well as specializes in all the "wursts."

Our grocery stores usually only have a "British" section in case you want HP Sauce, Heinz Salad Cream or Hob Nobs.  I wish we had a "German" section.

I also love to visit supermarkets in foreign countries as well.  

16 hours ago, Gobbles said:

@nastyhobbitses

No need for a German section.....we have Aldi for that.   Lol

The shopping centre I work in used to an American Candy shop the stuff was expensive due to having to pay custom tax but I loved trying some of the stuff. I objected paying £10 for a box of lucky charms cereal though, I was curious to try them again. I loved them as a child then then they stopped shipping them to the UK.

@MatthewDuggar, the Publix near us has a great British section which seems to meld into the Indian section.  You'll find the Yorkshire Gold tea and cans of Heinz baked beans (for Beans on Toast) next to the big sacks of Basmati rice straight from India.  It makes sense.  I hit up the British section when I need to get Bisto for gravy.  Yes, I know that Bisto is made in Canada, but we don't have a Canadian section of the store.  I still think of Bisto as a British product.  My mother-in-law always uses it for gravy when she makes roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

@Gobbles,  Maple syrup is made in Vermont, New York and Canada.  It IS NOT what many Americans put on pancakes as it tends to be pricey and a lot of people don't know the taste anyway.  Aunt Jemima and Mrs Butterworth's cannot begin to compare with the real stuff.  It is delicious!

Our Kroger, in the British section, has 'spotted dick'.  

I've been to England and  never encountered it there... and all this time it was there on the shelf, just a mile or so away. ;)

The supermarkets here have a little con going, they sell Oreos in the American section for huge amounts of money but if you go into the normal biscuit aisle they're just standard price.

They think we don't know......... but we do :dance:

@Jucifer Spotted dick is pretty old fashioned (probably disappeared around the same time antibiotics were discovered ;) ). It's normally the preserve of school dinners along with semolina and tapioca pudding.

4 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

I've been to England and  never encountered it there... and all this time it was there on the shelf, just a mile or so away. ;)

That's what I was going to say. I have never seen a British import section that didn't have Spotted Dick (there are about 5 such aisles in various grocery stores in my area, and all have the Dick).

8 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

The supermarkets here have a little con going, they sell Oreos in the American section for huge amounts of money but if you go into the normal biscuit aisle they're just standard price.

@Jucifer Spotted dick is pretty old fashioned (probably disappeared around the same time antibiotics were discovered ;) ). It's normally the preserve of school dinners along with semolina and tapioca pudding.

Oh gee, tapioca pudding!  If I lived in England I'd be so skinny! ;)

If you ate the shool dinners of my era, you'd definitely be skinny. Liver, boiled cabbage, barely mashed potatoes and lumpy gravy. Desserts weren't too bad, and the icecream truck used to stop at the bottom of the school drive. An icecream cone with a Cadbury flake could take away the taste of liver.

50 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

In the British section here you can buy Cadbury chocolate for twice what it costs if you go to the regular candy aisle where you can also Cadbury.

12 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Our grocery stores usually only have a "British" section in case you want HP Sauce, Heinz Salad Cream or Hob Nobs.  I wish we had a "German" section.

I also love to visit supermarkets in foreign countries as well.  

I found a can of Spotted Dick in the British section. I keep it out on my kitchen counter, because it's a nice conversation piece.

5 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

I found a can of Spotted Dick in the British section. I keep it out on my kitchen counter, because it's a nice conversation piece.

I hope you don't eat it.  It's made from suet, which is solid animal fat.

2 hours ago, Jucifer said:

What is this spotted dick you speak of? 

AFAIK it's a British pudding made with suet and dried fruit, often served with a side of custard. :o

If anyone here is a spotted dick fan, I'm not snarking on you.  The name is just funny to my American ears. ;)

On 3/23/2016 at 9:41 AM, OldFadedStar said:

The japanese equivalent of a dollar store is AMAZING though. I lived there for 4 years. It'd be one of my first stops if I visited Japan now. Even the Japanese regularly shop there. It isn't the crappy quality that you would see at an American dollar store

Daiso, which is the closest we're going to get to a 100 Yen shop in the US, seems to be rapidly expanding. Most things there are $1.50 and there are locations in California, Washington (mostly around Seattle) and Texas.

Again, northeastern US-er here, but spotted dick has been in the regular canned food aisle as long as I can remember. I never knew what it was and assumed it was similar to SPAM and not something I wanted to eat but definitely don't need a special grocery to get it. 

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Gobbles,  Maple syrup is made in Vermont, New York and Canada.  It IS NOT what many Americans put on pancakes as it tends to be pricey and a lot of people don't know the taste anyway.  Aunt Jemima and Mrs Butterworth's cannot begin to compare with the real stuff.  It is delicious!

We also make it in Michigan. My family makes our own every year. We're getting to the tail end of the sap running season in my area although the weather has been a little quirky this year so we may get another week or so of sap.

Bethella, I knew that historically that sugaring was done in the northern Midwest because there's a chapter in Little House in the Big Woods about sugar season and the book is set in Wisconsin.  

Archived