IGNORED

Duggars cooking and gardening - part 2

Boogalou

7 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

I'm so thankful that my doctor had told me to avoid octopus and squid because of possible reactions from related allergies. The idea of eating something with suckers that could somehow get lodged in my throat is bad enough. This would be enough to erase any feeling of hunger. 

Avoiding food because of a genuine allergy or dislike is one thing. Making grossed-out faces and carrying on about how WEIRD and OMG DIFFERENT the food is is the height of rudeness.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ShebrewDefrauder said:

There is only one food in this world that I truly hate and it is black licorice. I am convinced it is Satan's own flavor.

I agree with you Black licorice is the devil's own flavor!!!!

On 3/11/2016 at 7:32 AM, Gossamer1 said:

I wonder how they would have reacted to this! I am a somewhat brave eater but just, NO! I prefer it when my dinner no longer has the option to run away from me.

I'm all of trying new thing but if this showed up on my table I would make a face. This creeps me out beyond all belief!! Watching this video literally turned my stomach and they didn't even eat it in the video just the thought makes me sick. I try very hard to eat different foods and be open minded but i just can't when it is moving! 

7 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Avoiding food because of a genuine allergy or dislike is one thing. Making grossed-out faces and carrying on about how WEIRD and OMG DIFFERENT the food is is the height of rudeness.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. There are hundreds of other behaviors that are more rude than turning up your nose at something or remarking how different it is. And, one is allowed to express their opinion of disgust, even if YOU don't agree with it. 

Not to mention, it was STAGED, and likely heavily edited, by TLC. Nothing says "good reality TV" like "ugly Americans traveling the globe." I mean, this is the same company that thought it was appropriate to have the Duggar girls dress like Geishas without explaining to them what a Geisha is. 

1 hour ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

I'm sorry, but I disagree. There are hundreds of other behaviors that are more rude than turning up your nose at something or remarking how different it is. And, one is allowed to express their opinion of disgust, even if YOU don't agree with it. 

Not to mention, it was STAGED, and likely heavily edited, by TLC. Nothing says "good reality TV" like "ugly Americans traveling the globe." I mean, this is the same company that thought it was appropriate to have the Duggar girls dress like Geishas without explaining to them what a Geisha is. 

Your second point is fair, but I do think (and was raised to think) that if someone took tons of time, effort, and money to make you a nice meal, you take a thank-you portion and make a polite excuse if you don't like it (and saying that you're allergic or have a religious/ethical/health reason why you do not want to eat it is perfectly OK). Food is very heavily tied to culture and hospitality, so from my perspective, if I took the time to make someone, say, my dad's lasagna recipe that is very celebratory of my Italian heritage and that person turned up their nose and made grossed-out faces, that's like shitting on my entire family, culture, and the time I took and money I spent to make something nice for them. I wouldn't be mad or offended if they simply said "oh, I'm vegan" or "oh, I keep kosher" or "I'm sorry, I'm on a diet" (though would it kill you to inform me in advance?).

I have no problem with people refusing food politely, I hate butter on sandwiches always have but I made the discovery that I couldn't taste the butter on tuna mayonnaise sandwiches. But before then at parties I'd take sandwiches and bin them when no one was looking or say I'm not hungry but thank you. 

When I worked as a tour manager, we used to stop in the Lake District  in Grasmere for lunch.* The owner of the complex in the middle of the village would always give us  a bag of Kendal Mint Cake pieces sufficient for our group as we were leaving. We were LEAVING.  It gave him no more business from that group - he just wanted people to taste a local delicacy. He would also sometimes give us Grasmere Gingerbread - different from any other! Thank you, Louie, for being so proud of the local heritage - and you are a Greek Cypriot!

*Meal stops with groups of 40+ people are difficult in rural areas. There has to be parking for a large bus, catering facilities that can cope with a sudden large influx, and perhaps most importantly - enough toilets!

12 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Your second point is fair, but I do think (and was raised to think) that if someone took tons of time, effort, and money to make you a nice meal, you take a thank-you portion and make a polite excuse if you don't like it (and saying that you're allergic or have a religious/ethical/health reason why you do not want to eat it is perfectly OK). Food is very heavily tied to culture and hospitality, so from my perspective, if I took the time to make someone, say, my dad's lasagna recipe that is very celebratory of my Italian heritage and that person turned up their nose and made grossed-out faces, that's like shitting on my entire family, culture, and the time I took and money I spent to make something nice for them. I wouldn't be mad or offended if they simply said "oh, I'm vegan" or "oh, I keep kosher" or "I'm sorry, I'm on a diet" (though would it kill you to inform me in advance?).

Eating food you don't like to be polite isn't being polite. People know when you're pity eating and it makes them feel uncomfortable. There is nothing wrong with rejecting a food. 

Edited to add: as my mom says, "life is too short to eat foods you don't like."

Oh god yes! I don't care if you don't like something, or if you accidentally choke, but making faces and saying, really loudly, that was absolutely disgusting, is over the line.

I am so embarrassed I may never go to that restaurant again. (Or at least, not with that particular friend. Unless it causes my throat to close up, I try not to react to something I don't like, or at least, to be polite about it.)

There's nothing wrong with declining food politely or stating politely that something is not your cup of tea. There's nothing wrong with stating, "I wasn't a fan of ABC, because of XYZ (e.g. I don't like the texture of raw fish/the flavors don't appeal to me/I'm unused to seeing heads in my food and so it's unnerving/whatever). However, making grossed out faces, loud "ewwww" comments, or poking fun at food that somebody else has made for you is: 1) rude, 2) ungrateful, and 3) offensive. Of course, the Duggars do have the right to express themselves as they wish, but that doesn't make what they say okay.

What makes me most uncomfortable is their lack of respect for other cultures. They're demeaning other people's food, instead of realizing that other cultures have different definitions of tastiness, and adjusting their behavior to be sensitive of that.

It's also depressing to me, because it shows how eurocentric we are as a culture. The Duggars probably would have gobbled up wienerschnitzel, cheddar, or a salad. Yet, they don't realize that in some cultures, people are equally wary of raw vegetables and cheese as they are of haggis.

But then again, these are the Duggars... the Duggarlings other (wild) behavior is unchecked... and when was the last time they were sensitive of anybody else's differences (see converting the Scotsman/same-sex marriage)?

My 2 cents... TLC staged. Yes they are rude. Because they are set up as uncultured country folk given some weird food. This awe shucks schtick is so played out. Nobody can cook!  No courtships!  We all miss each other!  We just aim to encourage one another!  Someone stick a fork in Jessa. They're dun.  No I mean for reals. 

A quick snap back to the gardening:

Now you have convinced me to sow raddishes! I was adamant that it was the one thing I should not grow. Mmm, chips and boiled. I only use them as sprouts for the moment. 

As of right now I have broccoli, tomatoes, cucumber, sunflower and salad growing in the kitchen and office, and Hubs rolls his eyes for every new addition (red beets and onions is next). 

4 hours ago, Thorns said:

A quick snap back to the gardening:

Now you have convinced me to sow raddishes! I was adamant that it was the one thing I should not grow. Mmm, chips and boiled. I only use them as sprouts for the moment. 

As of right now I have broccoli, tomatoes, cucumber, sunflower and salad growing in the kitchen and office, and Hubs rolls his eyes for every new addition (red beets and onions is next). 

My tomatoes are currently sprouting nicely on the windowsill along with my herbs (basil, parsley and chives) and the strawberries are in greenhouse (cheap one, basically shelves with a plastic cover) with my sweet peas, sunflower, and cosmos.

My peppers are giving me cause for concern though, not a sign of anything sprouting and they've been in for a good while, I've moved them to a sunnier windowsill to see if that does the trick. I think if nothing happens in the next week I might have cave and sow some more. I'm tempted by cucumbers but I'm limited to the patio for edibles so I'm not sure I can squeeze them in.

I'm more of a flower gardener than edibles, but I'm having a good crack at it this year. I might even sow some salad.

21 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

My tomatoes are currently sprouting nicely on the windowsill along with my herbs (basil, parsley and chives) and the strawberries are in greenhouse (cheap one, basically shelves with a plastic cover) with my sweet peas, sunflower, and cosmos.

My peppers are giving me cause for concern though, not a sign of anything sprouting and they've been in for a good while, I've moved them to a sunnier windowsill to see if that does the trick. I think if nothing happens in the next week I might have cave and sow some more. I'm tempted by cucumbers but I'm limited to the patio for edibles so I'm not sure I can squeeze them in.

I'm more of a flower gardener than edibles, but I'm having a good crack at it this year. I might even sow some salad.

I believe peppers are slow growers, and that they need high temperatures and lots of light? Sunnier are probably better, you might want to consider a growth light as well (or google experiences relevant for your localization, but I believe UK is approx Norway when it comes to sun and warmth :P )

Salad is awesome. Esp. the micro leaves, they are usually happy in a windowsill or a small patio pot :) And no waste! I had to buy a light for it though, not enough sun for it this time of year in my parts of the world.

Yes, that's why I moved it. they were originally in the same propagator as the toms but I've moved them out now they've sprouted. They're on a south facing windowsill now which is a real suntrap so fingers crossed. (we're a little warmer than Norway :kitty-wink: I'm level with the Netherlands so think tulips from Amsterdam, rather than pining for the Fjords).

Off to google growth lights and micro leaves :my_biggrin: 

52 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

Yes, that's why I moved it. they were originally in the same propagator as the toms but I've moved them out now they've sprouted. They're on a south facing windowsill now which is a real suntrap so fingers crossed. (we're a little warmer than Norway :kitty-wink: I'm level with the Netherlands so think tulips from Amsterdam, rather than pining for the Fjords).

Well, I'm located at more like latitude Iceland... And I always misplace UK as much farther north than it really is :my_lightbulb: 

Googling is dangerous and costly, I've discovered :P

54 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

And speaking of flowers, what about edible flowers? ;)

Marigolds, viola tricolors, sunflowers... Oh, the opportunities!

I've grown Nasturtiums in the past, they're definitely edible (the caterpillars liked them anyway. They were a companion plant for something (I can't remember what) and they certainly did their job. Not long after we had a garden full of cabbage white butterflies. On the companion planting theme, I will be planting French marigolds this year (for the tomatoes) and the chives will go outside to fight the insects.

I've got three different types of sunflowers to plant this year, my dad (who has a courtyard garden full of pots - puts my efforts to shame and only really started gardening when he retired) has given me the normal giant ones to start off for him, and I've got some 'crimson queen' and 'sparky' ones as well. I have to have them in pots though as the slugs really like them. He's also expecting some free tomato/strawberry plants :my_biggrin:

Internet shopping is a terrible thing, I would spend far less if I had to leave the house to do it :ARGENT: (That's possibly a lie, I went to the garden centre last week, and actually went to another one on the way home).

Back to the Duggars :kitty-wink:(and other people)

I think part of me is jealous, they have a huge amount of land (compared with my 20 foot garden) and easily have room for a kitchen garden. I suppose the amount of food they would need to produce to feed 20+ people would be immense  (wanders off to google for a second)

According to here: http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/how-much-land-is-needed-to-be-self-sufficient

you need approx. 1.5 acres to support a family of four, so (counts on fingers) that's 8.25 acres for the original family plus grandma? They've got 20 acres so that's totally enough land for crops (never gonna happen)  :my_biggrin:

backyard_farm.jpg

4 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

My peppers are giving me cause for concern though, not a sign of anything sprouting and they've been in for a good while

Mine just poked up two days ago. I had sown them mid Feb. I need to get my other seeds sown asap because I'm currently two weeks behind on my sowing plans! 

And growing your own food involves (steady) work. And you have to actually cook. I'm not sure they know what to do with food thats not already in a can.

On 3/11/2016 at 4:13 AM, IrishCarrie said:

Haggis is yum.

Black pudding is yum.

Liver and kidneys and all sorts of offal are yum.

My name is Irish Carrie, I grew up in a farm and we eat the entire animal, not just the pretty bits.

Come join me, peeps!! :tw_tongue:

When's dinner?

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, Thorns said:

I believe peppers are slow growers, and that they need high temperatures and lots of light?

21 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

Mine just poked up two days ago. I had sown them mid Feb. I need to get my other seeds sown asap because I'm currently two weeks behind on my sowing plans! 

After less than a day on the sunnier windowsill, a pepper plant has emerged :my_biggrin:

I did a little jig :dance: 

On 3/10/2016 at 3:57 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

The China and Japan episodes made me rage. So unappreciative of Chinese and Japanese culture, making disgusted faces at food people specially made for them (and I can say from personal experience, is fucking delicious), mocking the languages of those countries, just not taking any opportunity to experience anything that isn't their white-bread, isolated existence.

They were so ignorant, ugly Americans indeed. What a waste of international travel. I have visited Japan, which is culturally rich with delicious food and nice people. Ugh, Ugh, Ugh, x1000.

1 hour ago, CoveredInBees said:

After less than a day on the sunnier windowsill, a pepper plant has emerged :my_biggrin:

I did a little jig :dance: 

My cucumbers and sunflowers are growing wild :pb_sad: I might have to replant them already!

A neighbor asked  if he could use some of their land to grow a garden, and he showed some of the kids what to do. JB was bragging about how much food they would have that he wouldn't have to buy. Probably just a story line for TLC, but yes, once they at least started a garden. Probably didn't finish it.

On 3/21/2016 at 1:55 PM, SilverBeach said:

They were so ignorant, ugly Americans indeed. What a waste of international travel. I have visited Japan, which is culturally rich with delicious food and nice people. Ugh, Ugh, Ugh, x1000.

And wasn't their first stop the Japanese equivalent of a Dollar store?  I can only hope that was scripted, but have my doubts.

18 hours ago, Dandruff said:

And wasn't their first stop the Japanese equivalent of a Dollar store?  I can only hope that was scripted, but have my doubts.

The japanese equivalent of a dollar store is AMAZING though. I lived there for 4 years. It'd be one of my first stops if I visited Japan now. Even the Japanese regularly shop there. It isn't the crappy quality that you would see at an American dollar store

Archived