IGNORED

Duggars cooking and gardening - part 2

Boogalou

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the episode where they visited Scotland again recently, they didn't try any of the food tourists would usually try haggis, tablet(sugary toffee, type sweet) or Irn bru, a soda known as Scotland's other national drink. They never try any new foods or experience a new culture, they didn't attempt to even teach the kids about our culture apart from a Highland games and trip down the royal mile. They do the same everywhere they go, as for cooking and gardening with a family that big they could all pitch in and grow and cook food, I'm sure the younger kids would love to get dirty digging.

Gardening is one of my main hobbies so it saddens me that the Duggars - who have so much space and extra time - aren't into this.  Now in all fairness, gardening isn't for everyone, but with that many people in the home I don't doubt that someone has a green thumb but just wasn't given the ability to use it.  

James was interested in growing fruit and veg, they made a patch and didn't bother to keep it up. I wish Jim Bob and Michelle would encourage their children even just a little bit. 

10 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I watched the episode where they visited Scotland again recently, they didn't try any of the food tourists would usually try haggis, tablet(sugary toffee, type sweet) or Irn bru, a soda known as Scotland's other national drink. They never try any new foods or experience a new culture, they didn't attempt to even teach the kids about our culture apart from a Highland games and trip down the royal mile. They do the same everywhere they go, as for cooking and gardening with a family that big they could all pitch in and grow and cook food, I'm sure the younger kids would love to get dirty digging.

If I remember correctly, everyone (even the Duggars) commented that Jenny loves trying new foods. At least it's not wasted on her. 

That said, I'm all for trying new foods, but I'm not going to eat haggis. It's just not going to happen. 

15 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

The China and Japan episodes made me rage. So unappreciative of Chinese and Japanese culture, making disgusted faces at food people specially made for them (and I can say from personal experience, is fucking delicious), mocking the languages of those countries, just not taking any opportunity to experience anything that isn't their white-bread, isolated existence.

I tried haggis in Scotland. I thought it  was damned delicious! Can't get people over here to warm up to it. I'll bet if they sold it at the deli counter it would be a big hit. Anything you can put between 2 pieces of bread is big in the US of A.

I had a quick look at the Scotland episode (youtube). It grated on me that Michelle said they were going to the Edinburgh Castle...... It's just Edinburgh Castle, no 'the' (pedantic, I know).

There was also a bit when they were on the royal mile and a street performer stole a kiss from Amy (he kissed her cheek). My first thought was, what if that had been any of the other girls? JB/Michelle would've been horrified!

I freely admit I've never tried haggis, it's probably no worse than black pudding really. I wouldn't turn it down if offered, but I'm not about to seek it out. It's not really seen that much this far down south outside of Burns night (and I'm only about halfway down the UK). Sometimes, I think we make this stuff up just for the tourists :my_biggrin: (like Londoners eating jellied eels..... bleurgh!)  

Haggis contains or did contain lungs among other organs and we can't have those in America.

But if we ever have haggis in the US I hope to acquire some.

Jellied eels?! Hell, no!

I didn't realise haggis had been banned in the US since 1971 (cos of the sheeps lungs), I thought it was due to the BSE crisis which was much much later.

5 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

I tried haggis in Scotland. I thought it  was damned delicious! Can't get people over here to warm up to it. I'll bet if they sold it at the deli counter it would be a big hit. Anything you can put between 2 pieces of bread is big in the US of A.

My Grandma was a Stewart, so I used to feel it would be un-Scots of me not to try it. Tried it, and I LOVE it. 

I didn't have any haggis or IrnBru but I did have tablet several times.  It is delicious!  We were staying with some friends of my husband's and the hostess just made it for dessert a few evenings.  Utterly scrumptious!  And now I'm hungry!  I could go back to Scotland just for tablet!

Haggis is yum.

Black pudding is yum.

Liver and kidneys and all sorts of offal are yum.

My name is Irish Carrie, I grew up in a farm and we eat the entire animal, not just the pretty bits.

Come join me, peeps!! :tw_tongue:

I wonder how they would have reacted to this! I am a somewhat brave eater but just, NO! I prefer it when my dinner no longer has the option to run away from me.

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I didn't have any haggis or IrnBru but I did have tablet several times.  It is delicious!  We were staying with some friends of my husband's and the hostess just made it for dessert a few evenings.  Utterly scrumptious!  And now I'm hungry!  I could go back to Scotland just for tablet!

Tell me what tablet is.

2 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

I wonder how they would have reacted to this! I am a somewhat brave eater but just, NO! I prefer it when my dinner no longer has the option to run away from me.

This guy is actually dead but was VERY recently killed. If you add salt to newly dead muscles, chemical reactions can still happen. I've seen it in real life on frog legs. Knowing it's dead still doesn't help the "ick" factor though. I certainly didn't eat it. 

I get grossed out sometimes when I handle raw meat or poultry. I get a physical reaction. I can't imagine eating something that repulsed me for whatever reason and being able to chew and swallow it. But I love sushi and sashimi. My husband eats sweet shrimp which are battered and fried whole shrimp heads and I can't watch. 

3 hours ago, Casserole said:

This guy is actually dead but was VERY recently killed. If you add salt to newly dead muscles, chemical reactions can still happen. I've seen it in real life on frog legs. Knowing it's dead still doesn't help the "ick" factor though. I certainly didn't eat it. 

Zombie dinner!

On 3/11/2016 at 7:13 AM, IrishCarrie said:

Haggis is yum.

Black pudding is yum.

Liver and kidneys and all sorts of offal are yum.

My name is Irish Carrie, I grew up in a farm and we eat the entire animal, not just the pretty bits.

Come join me, peeps!! :tw_tongue:

I'm with you!! I was always the adventurous eater in my family, willing to try pretty much anything. I once went to a friend's July 4th pig roast and amazed one of the guys who had roasted the pig by accepting all the offal and bits that nobody else would try. He was hispanic and was amazed that a little Jewish gal would be into that kind of stuff, but I thought it was delicious! There is only one food in this world that I truly hate and it is black licorice. I am convinced it is Satan's own flavor.

On 12/3/2016 at 1:32 PM, Gossamer1 said:

:eyewash:

On March 10, 2016 at 4:57 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

The China and Japan episodes made me rage. So unappreciative of Chinese and Japanese culture, making disgusted faces at food people specially made for them (and I can say from personal experience, is fucking delicious), mocking the languages of those countries, just not taking any opportunity to experience anything that isn't their white-bread, isolated existence.

I'm so thankful that my doctor had told me to avoid octopus and squid because of possible reactions from related allergies. The idea of eating something with suckers that could somehow get lodged in my throat is bad enough. This would be enough to erase any feeling of hunger. 

Archived