IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Lucky Number 13

keen23

He really does look odd. Not himself. The beard and hair I don't really care about since hey, whatever, but his eyes look different to me. He also looks much older. So much so that I really don't recognize him as the same person.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether OFF is sufficient protection or not, I would have purchased it long before now, were I in their situation.  

I think that picture and caption are definitely mocking. And I get it. I hate those two with a passion usually reserved for elected officials, but honestly, if a bunch of internet strangers who mock everything I do expressed concern over me because of Zika, I'd publicly mock them, too. But then, I've never gotten the concern. They're adults (in a manner of speaking) with options. Let them deal with the consequences.

8 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I think that picture and caption are definitely mocking. And I get it. I hate those two with a passion usually reserved for elected officials, but honestly, if a bunch of internet strangers who mock everything I do expressed concern over me because of Zika, I'd publicly mock them, too. But then, I've never gotten the concern. They're adults (in a manner of speaking) with options. Let them deal with the consequences.

it's the same with Ben and Jessa - they mock - they expect the viewing public now to make the Seewald siblings successful just based on the fact that Ben spouts what he spouts 

55 minutes ago, lascuba said:

But why should an innocent baby have to suffer from brain damage, paralysis, blindness, pain and a shrunken head just because its parents were negligent about exposure to Zika?  It's not the parents who suffer and deal with the consequences from the virus; it's the babies.

2 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

But why should an innocent baby have to suffer from brain damage, paralysis, blindness, pain and a shrunken head just because its parents were negligent about exposure to Zika?  It's not the parents who suffer and deal with the consequences from the virus; it's the babies.

So very right. The blind acceptance of Gothard's no birth control, or maybe it is just the fundametal thing, is absolutely without logic. We've all seen the babies on the news by now, and the sad parents, and it is no joke. Heartbreaking. 

7 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

I shudder to think what SOTDRT would be like for a child with cognitive problems, intellectual disability, or blindness.

42 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I shudder to think what SOTDRT would be like for a child with cognitive problems, intellectual disability, or blindness.

It's actually rather astonishing that none of the 19 kids had such problems.  I know that it's possible that one or more might have ADHD or some other learning disability, but so far, none of them appear to have more obvious disabilities or cognitive problems.  Although it still makes me very sad to think that one or more probably has some learning difficulty that has never  been addressed.

Just now, Defrauding Feminist ESQ said:

It's actually rather astonishing that none of the 19 kids had such problems.  I know that it's possible that one or more might have ADHD or some other learning disability, but so far, none of them appear to have more obvious disabilities or cognitive problems.  Although it still makes me very sad to think that one or more probably has some learning difficulty that has never  been addressed.

Speaking as someone who went through grade school, high school, and university with undiagnosed ADHD and a learning disorder, it's entirely possible that some of them have issues, and if they do, I'm sure they're not being addressed. My experience was a nightmare in many ways, and I can only imagine how much being educated at the SOTDRT would have compounded it. 

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Speaking as someone who went through grade school, high school, and university with undiagnosed ADHD and a learning disorder, it's entirely possible that some of them have issues, and if they do, I'm sure they're not being addressed. My experience was a nightmare in many ways, and I can only imagine how much being educated at the SOTDRT would have compounded it. 

I also went through grade school and most of high school with undiagnosed ADHD.  Luckily, in high school, I was diagnosed and received medication - it made SUCH a difference!  I can't imagine being in such an unstructured environment like the SOTDRT, and trying to navigate lesson plans without a diagnosis or any kind of treatment.  It would be awful. 

I'm sorry you went so long without a diagnosis!  Going through some of high school was so hard, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to go through college without knowing why things were difficult for you

5 hours ago, Swamptribe said:

Derick looks like crap warmed over.  He does in ever picture I've seen lately.  Not only the scraggly beard, but it looks like he hasn't been eating down there. Makes me think of Charley Manson frankly.

He's not that haggard: his cheekbones aren't prominent. Many people find that they eat a lighter diet in a hot climate, and that added to his recent surgery would mean he does not look the same as at his wedding. I do think :dramallama-nanner:has ridden in on the subject of his weight.:tw_grin:

12 hours ago, sndral said:

I'd be more impressed if they were spending some of the money they grifted for this 'mission' to buy cases of OFF to share with their potential convertees.

I agree with this.  A can of OFF is expensive where I live.  I'm surprised that J&D haven't asked for a special donation to just buy a few cans to pass out to those who come to their church and receive Jesus in their hearts.  (But only if they do that.) 

I actually think Derrick looks better than he has in a few months in that last picture.  I think it is only because his teeth aren't showing. 

On 2/25/2016 at 9:50 PM, luxfilia said:

Very common here in Tennessee. "Love, honor, cherish, and obey." People use the usual mental gymnastics to reason it out in a non-literal way, or else make a point of mentioning they've removed it from the vows.

I live in Nashville, and I have managed to escape the use of "obey."    I have never been to a Baptist, Church of Christ, or other super conservative or non-denominational wedding.  I imagine they use "obey" in the vows.  But they do not in other religious denominations where I've attended weddings.  

2 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

Sure, but...it's still on them. And as someone who's vehemently pro-choice, I'm not going to tell someone where to live because  they might get pregnant and how dare they take chances. Is it irresponsible? Absolutely. But it's disingenuous in the extreme for a message board full of people who routinely (and rightfully) point out how horrible their beliefs and actions are on a regularly basis to go on and on about how worried they are for them and their spawn. Yes, they are wrong about everything, no question. But in their shoes, I'd be trolling my haters about this, too.

To me, being pro-choice doesn't mean I can't disagree with someone's choice, it just means I don't want to see their right to make it taken away.

Jill and Derick should have the right to live wherever they want, as long as they're following applicable immigration laws etc. They should have the right to reproduce as many times as they wish, and in whatever circumstances they choose. That doesn't mean that we have to pretend those are good choices, though.

I don't see any contradiction in saying, "I think you're making a poor choice (but even so, I believe the government does not have the right to prevent you from making it.)" One person's freedom of choice does not take away everyone else's freedom to express their opinion.

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

To me, being pro-choice doesn't mean I can't disagree with someone's choice, it just means I don't want to see their right to make it taken away.

Jill and Derick should have the right to live wherever they want, as long as they're following applicable immigration laws etc. They should have the right to reproduce as many times as they wish, and in whatever circumstances they choose. That doesn't mean that we have to pretend those are good choices, though.

I don't see any contradiction in saying, "I think you're making a poor choice (but even so, I believe the government does not have the right to prevent you from making it.)" One person's freedom of choice does not take away everyone else's freedom to express their opinion.

Right, and I'm the last one to say one shouldn't criticize people's choices. But at the end of the day the choice has been made, and I don't really find it any worse than the choice Michelle made to keep getting pregnant against medical advice. Maybe it's because I'm of the mind that if they're insisting that they're doing good in "oh so dangerous" Central America, then it'd be incredibly hypocritical for them to leave because of Zika? I just really don't get a)the concern for Jill and Derrick over this, or b)outrage that they'd post something that appears to mock that concern when that concern is coming from freejinger. For all we know, they could have been taking precautions against Zika the whole time but never thought to mention it, and are highly amused at people freaking out about how irresponsible are, based on no evidence other than a lack of a mention on social media.

GAH! Stop making me empathize with those useless assholes!

2 hours ago, Defrauding Feminist ESQ said:

Many of the kids had learning disabilities, including dyslexia and speech impediments. They inherited the tendency for dyslexia from Jim Bob.

"When my husband, Jim Bob, was a little boy he had a speech impediment, and he really struggled with reading. As a homeschool mom, understanding his perspective helped me to not have certain expectations about how my kids would all learn.

"When we were first married, we would read the Scriptures together in the mornings, and I would read, and then he'd take a turn. He would literally flip words around and put different words in different places.

"I noticed some of our kids had the same struggle ... One time when I was teaching the kids to read and write and I got a precious little keepsake of a 'Mommy, I love you' picture with the literally the whole message written backwards -- if you put it up to a mirror it looked perfect!"

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/homeschooling-how-michelle-duggar-approaches-learning-difficulties/?_ga=1.246240076.933332154.1411577386

4 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

"I noticed some of our kids had the same struggle ... One time when I was teaching the kids to read and write and I got a precious little keepsake of a 'Mommy, I love you' picture with the literally the whole message written backwards -- if you put it up to a mirror it looked perfect!"

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/homeschooling-how-michelle-duggar-approaches-learning-difficulties/?_ga=1.246240076.933332154.1411577386

That isn't necessarily a learning difficulty - it could be as simple as a left handed child - left handers often mirror write. I did until the age of 7, and can still mirror write as fast as I write conventionally.

And I'm now over 60.

The last thing I want is for Jill to have a child with special needs.

If Jill's next child is born with Zika related birth defects, I just get so scared because a year after that birth, she's gonna have another kid. and then another. and then another. and that second kid will never get the attention it needs and deserves because Jill will have an infant when that child hasn't even reached its terrible twos. We all know that the first few years are the most important in childhood development. Then homeschooling rolls around. She'll have infants and toddlers to tend to while homeschooling, which is hard enough, but now she will have to contend with teaching a child with special needs as well as a child (Izzy) without.

And sure, integrated learning has its merits, but when you are woefully unprepared to differentiate a homeschooling classroom to fit the needs of just two of your kids from the getgo, you need to swallow your pride and enroll your kids in school or else you're really giving your kids a serious disadvantage.

Obviously this is all (hopefully) moot if Zika does not affect her children. But it's something that I worry about with these folks and the egregious oversights in their education.

3 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

And sure, integrated learning has its merits, but when you are woefully unprepared to differentiate a homeschooling classroom to fit the needs of just two of your kids from the getgo, you need to swallow your pride and enroll your kids in school or else you're really giving your kids a serious disadvantage.

Oh man, I'm getting flashbacks to James studying basic multiplication and an almost 11 year old Jackson just starting 4th grade. Plus didn't Michelle talk about a lot of the kids having dyslexia like it was funny?

If the Dillies are going to stay there and continue to reproduce what is to stop them from having more than one child with Zika? Not a thing. If they are in the business of having a lot of babies, endlessly, they are in the wrong place. Not fair to the babies when that is not their actual home and they are wasting their time there anyway. 

23 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Oh man, I'm getting flashbacks to James studying basic multiplication and an almost 11 year old Jackson just starting 4th grade. Plus didn't Michelle talk about a lot of the kids having dyslexia like it was funny?

Remember the episode where one of the boys was sent to get his workbook, and ended up all over the house and really struggled to complete that simple task? That has adhd/dyslexia etc written all over it.  While i'm glad it seems like she recognizes the disabilities that's only the first step- next step is consulting with professionals to figure out a strategy/game plan for each affected child.  A lot of kids are pulled from ps for learning disabilities because the parents realize they can get more one on one time/personalized curriculum that a large classroom can't provide. It also allows them to work at their own pace and can cater to their strengths. (or is just a more flexible environment where an adhd kid can get some exercise in before lessons so it's easier to sit still, or can involve more movement with the lessons).  Michelle however.....never really seems very invested in her kids education.

13 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Remember the episode where one of the boys was sent to get his workbook, and ended up all over the house and really struggled to complete that simple task? That has adhd/dyslexia etc written all over it.  While i'm glad it seems like she recognizes the disabilities that's only the first step- next step is consulting with professionals to figure out a strategy/game plan for each affected child.  A lot of kids are pulled from ps for learning disabilities because the parents realize they can get more one on one time/personalized curriculum that a large classroom can't provide. It also allows them to work at their own pace and can cater to their strengths. (or is just a more flexible environment where an adhd kid can get some exercise in before lessons so it's easier to sit still, or can involve more movement with the lessons).  Michelle however.....never really seems very invested in her kids education.

I really do wonder and worry about the kids who may have undiagnosed or untreated learning disabilities. Those kids are going to be basically illiterate/innumerate and have no real coping skills for their executive functioning issues without real help. Jesus was a swell guy, but a neurologist/speech-language pathologist/occupational therapist/social worker/psychiatrist/special education teacher he isn't.

7 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I really do wonder and worry about the kids who may have undiagnosed or untreated learning disabilities. Those kids are going to be basically illiterate/innumerate and have no real coping skills for their executive functioning issues without real help. Jesus was a swell guy, but a neurologist/speech-language pathologist/occupational therapist/social worker/psychiatrist/special education teacher he isn't.

Exactly! and neither is Michelle, by far. She might not even be aware all those services exist. You want to teach them at home? fine. Consult those professionals, get evaluations (repeatedly if you have to) and do what you need to do so your kids can learn and enjoy the process.  There's no way with all those homeschool kids that she's doing individualized lesson plans for the different children. They all get the cut and paste education: wisdom booklets, bible time, phonics/simple math workbooks till 3rd grade, then the computer curriculum. The only workbooks i've seen in the hands of the little kids were ones i recognize- designed as supplementary practice sheets, not meant to be a complete curriculum.  It seems like she puts in the least possible amount of effort for each kid.

Some fundie friends of mine are dyslexic and were home schooled can't read past the 2nd grade level. Their mom gave extra attention to help them but all it did was help them memorize what they had to read and not actually learn to read. I have dyslexia but I was so ashamed of it I hid it in public school. I worked around it and through some of it but no one caught on. I wish I had gotten some help. 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived