IGNORED

Farmers having bad days.

47of74

This isn't shit I fucked up.

Rather this is shit various farmers fucked up.

cornellpubs.com/downloads/2012_CITI_Having_a_Bad_Day.pdf

Being from a family of Iowa farmers going back over four generations I certainly feel sympathy for these guys...

i felt guilty finding some of them funny (the round hay bales, for instance), because this is their livelihood.  but still very interesting. thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 3

This is why I am not allowed on the equipment.  I have no doubt I would end up in a similar situation  :kitty-cussing:

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

This is why I am not allowed on the equipment.  I have no doubt I would end up in a similar situation  :kitty-cussing:

I have this one uncle who's always pushing the limits on safety on the farm, I'm surprised he hasn't done several of these yet.

I felt some guilt as well... But those were pretty funny. I especially liked the ones where you see what's messed up, and there's a group of dudes standing around, surveying the scene.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, amandaaries said:

I felt some guilt as well... But those were pretty funny. I especially liked the ones where you see what's messed up, and there's a group of dudes standing around, surveying the scene.

Yeah I showed these to my parents and they laughed at some of them. 

I wish my Grandpa was still with us.  I'd print them out to take up to the assisted living place and show to him or give em to dad to take up there.  Grandpa sure would've gotten a kick out of them.

• Upvote 2

And if you happen to be me, you can find a new irony . . . . 

56c1216acf49e_Roundroll.thumb.png.486137

If you are trying to make a point, you might want to be careful just exactly how you roll.

Jus' sayin'.

• Upvote 6

48 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

If you are trying to make a point, you might want to be careful just exactly how you roll.

Jus' sayin'.

Good catch!  I hadn't noticed it until now.

(And I wonder if these bales rolled on the Shabbos)?

• Upvote 2

I am a college taught farmer person. I see shit farmers fuck up all the time. My all time favvorite is nailing the corral boards or barbwire on the wrong side of fences. For example along a road, the boards/wire should be atteached on the inside of the field. Otherwise, all it takes is a steer or horse having a good side scratch or leaning on the fence inside the field and pop pop pop!, off they go!  It doesnt take much to pop them loose. I've seen a steer literally fall out of a field, into a road in our car once. Not funny at all, btw. It's not a concern, say. next to another of your fields or other areas.  So whenever we drive in the country I look and giggle a little to myself.

• Upvote 2

I hope they are stories they look back on and laugh at. 

The ones with the guys standing around looking at the disaster are my favorites too.

a mom I know grew up on a cattle farm. The few times she mentioned it makes me think it was a very hard life and that she hated it. She treated her daughter like a delicate flower,(not completely in a bad way) I imagine it has a lot to do with her own childhood.

I taught agriscience for nine years, and was involved with it for more than that.  Some of our disasters would go viral now - I'm kinda glad they weren't preserved for posterity.  LOL

(Imagine youngsters just learning to operate things - plus the nasty sense of humor of Mother Nature . . . . )

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2016 at 1:53 AM, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Jus' sayin'.

We used to have to push on those bales, once we'd cut the strings/netting off, to get them rolling out down the hills (spreads out the hay nicely). I used to hate doing it in a paddock full of steers because they'd all start chasing you and the bale down the hill.  (if you ever want to experience a mini stampede that is how you do it)  It also really sucked when someone had placed the bale the wrong way and it wouldn't unroll!

Edited by OnceUponATime
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2016 at 8:57 AM, OnceUponATime said:

We used to have to push on those bales, once we'd cut the strings/netting off, to get them rolling out down the hills (spreads out the hay nicely). I used to hate doing it in a paddock full of steers because they'd all start chasing you and the bale down the hill.  (if you ever want to experience a mini stampede that is how you do it)  It also really sucked when someone had placed the bale the wrong way and it wouldn't unroll!

Yeah they know when the humans are coming with the food.

Or when it's time to go out after a long winter cooped up in doors, as this one farmer demonstrated...

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

Thinking about the time BIL had to take away his elderly father's tractor privileges, paying about 5000 dollars to fix a tractor because he forgot what's a sensible speed to drive a tractor was the final straw. They live on the same farm and didn't talk for 3 months... both are stubborn though but I understand it was hard after a whole life as a farmer. Later the same summer his son flipped the other tractor over. Thankfully he was unharmed, he could have died even. Farming is dangerous.

• Upvote 1

As the first generation NOT to stay on the farm in both of our families? Hubby and I are laughing way too hard at these!!

I have so many stories of stupid mistakes...

On 10/20/2016 at 11:55 AM, elliha said:

Thinking about the time BIL had to take away his elderly father's tractor privileges

The 90- something lady across the road had her riding mower taken away, for safety reasons.  So, she called up John Deere and had another one delivered.  She mowed all summer.

• 2 years later...

Lately there’s been a couple spots in the yard that have become soft because of the rain and easy to get the riding mower stuck in. Have to avoid them now. Which causes ocd flare ups because I can’t cut there.

• Upvote 1

On October 24, 2016 at 8:56 PM, MarblesMom said:

The 90- something lady across the road had her riding mower taken away, for safety reasons.  So, she called up John Deere and had another one delivered.  She mowed all summer.

We had to sabotage the cars toward the end of my grandpa's life. He'd have had a fit if we'd taken the cars away and he conned a neighbor into taking him to get new keys made after we took the keys from him- so my aunt took him out to lunch so my dad could pull the fuses so they wouldn't start.

I'll have to show my dad some of these fails, he'll love them!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

@Alisamer We did the same thing with my grandmother, we unplugged the battery in her car.

• Upvote 2