IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell took a plane trip and Mary posts OCC

Seven Severn

She's visiting a friend named Tiffany. She returns home on Tuesday. Ellie stayed home.

Why all this sudden independence? What's gotten into Steve?

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My eyebrows shot right up through my bangs to the top of my head when I read the title of this post! :ETONNER:  And now...now I'm speechless.

I can't decide which shocks me more--her solo trip or the fact that she has a friend outside the family.

What is going on? She was allowed to get a dog, and now she's taken a trip all by herself. I'm glad she's able to do some things that she can enjoy, but I can't help but wonder what led to all this freedom and independence.

Looks like Sarah finally reached majority in Steve's eyes. Good for her. I wish her every happiness and may the new-found (very relative) independence open her eyes on a few matters.

I wonder if Steve called Tiffany's parents in advance to straighten out all the details since this is her first sleepover/playdate  in at least20 years.

Well, if she flew a commercial flight, that would seem to indicate that at least she has some decent identity paperwork already existing and available to her. (Man, I really feel for kids whose parents commit identity abuse.)

Tiffany bears a striking resemblance to another fundie. Maybe Kendalyn?

Since it was a short flight I'm thinking Twin Cities or maybe even Des Moines. The latter is just two-ish hours drive time from Leavenworth, but I bet she wouldn't be trusted to drive even that short of a distance.

Maybe she saw how Superman-John was getting all this newfound freedom and kicked off at Stevie?

What about the defrauding airport scanners? 

I feel like Sarah has some extreme blackmail material against Steve and that's why all of this is suddenly happening? Probably not, but whatever is going on, I'm super excited about it. 2016 is coming up all Sarah so far! 

Did she have to promise to silently judge every woman in the airport who was wearing an insufficiently modest outfit?

But seriously, this just shows how abusive and repressive Steve is: we're at the point of feeling excited and surprised that a 35-year-old woman flew by herself to visit a friend.

7 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

this just shows how abusive and repressive Steve is: we're at the point of feeling excited and surprised that a 35-year-old woman flew by herself to visit a friend.

My thoughts exactly.

However, I am genuinely glad for her. In the pic taken in the supermarket Sarah looks so happy and, dare I say, full of life. That's a lot to say about a Maxwell! For once her smile seems to reach her eyes, too.

26 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Does Tiffany have brothers? :GPn0zNK:

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. 

Just sayin.'

ETA: Tiffany lives in Kentucky, according to this Maxwell blog post from October 2012:

http://blog.titus2.com/2012/10/page/9/

ETA again! Looks like Tiffany was instrumental in bringing Joseph and Elissa together:

http://blog.titus2.com/tag/joseph-elissa/page/3/

WOW. I am utterly shocked. I don't even know what to say. I am definitely happy to hear this, I just barely believe it. What the hell is going on? 

22 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. 

Just sayin.'

Tiffany lives in Kentucky, according to this Maxwell blog post from October 2012:

http://blog.titus2.com/2012/10/page/9

Thanks for the sleuthing, Marian!

ETA: In the photo around the dining table, is that Elissa I spy (green shirt next to Teri)? Are Elissa and Tiffany sisters? Friends? This would've been too early for Joe to be courting Elissa.

I like to think that someone in her family-- maybe Teri or one of Sarah's brothers-- pointed out the obvious to Steve, Sarah is never going to get married and she needs to learn to be a bit more independent because the day will surely come when Steve is unable to be her headship.  Buying and taking care of her own pet, traveling on her own, who knows what next?  Perhaps she will be given more money to control.  If she buys her own car or makes a major change to her appearance (stylish cut or nicer clothes) then we will know for sure.

It looks like Tiffany is a safe person to visit because there are no grown brothers to lead to temptation and lustful thoughts, only 4 much younger, adopted siblings.

Tiffany does look like Kendalyn. I immediately looked at those pics for older brothers too, but that was clearly my own projection as it would never be reality. Clearly Tiffany is a stay at home daughter, raising her siblings, so she has no threatening outside life. No doubt Steve talked to Tiffany's parents and made sure Sarah would be safe and isolated. A few days safely inside the home of a fundie family with lots of little kids to take care of means there is no chance some person will enter Sarah's sphere and infuence her. I'd like to be impressed and see this as a step towards independence but nothing tells me that is the case. Safe people clearly part of their little world, with a family connection (Elissa & her family)  which means like minded.Totally safe.

Archived