IGNORED

Bates Family Part 9

Boogalou

1 hour ago, SolomonFundy said:

That's the spirit!

It's reassuring to know that someone, somewhere, was enduring an even more traumatizing version of this song.

The "This here" part has me curious... are you from the rural South (I am, for the record), or was this camp merely run by hillbillies? I can't imagine anyone saying "this here" without spitting tobacco juice immediately afterward.

On one hand I am happy kids are being taught about rape, on the other hand I don't think that catchy jingle is the right where to do it. 

I went to a Christian summer camp a lot as a kid so I know a lot of very weird children's songs about jesus/the bible/christian living that I have no idea what to do with. I try to even it out by listening to lost of music about about science. 

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, PracticeMakesProgress said:

Ummm, what sick pervert would lust after a presumably 11-year-old female?

I once had a (male) church member stare at my chest while telling me he could see my bra. 

I was 14.

19 hours ago, Bugaboo said:

With the maxi skirts, I have the same exact black and grey striped skirt Jill wore during her pregnancy with Izzy. I got it before I saw her wear it. Now that Jill had worn it, my family makes fun of me and calls me a Duggar when I wear it. It is so comfy though. I love maxi skirts, though I don't wear them often; I am more of a jeans girl.

Frankly, I hate the striped maxi skirts if they're black and white stripes. They're a migraine trigger for me, and being in the form of a maxi skirt, that means there's just that much more fabric to try and look away from.

28 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

I once had a (male) church member stare at my chest while telling me he could see my bra. 

I was 14.

At 14 my friend's Dad stared at my chest for two hours at her birthday/sleepover. In the end I couldn't sleep there and called my parents to pick me up at 2am.

42 minutes ago, Alye said:

At 14 my friend's Dad stared at my chest for two hours at her birthday/sleepover. In the end I couldn't sleep there and called my parents to pick me up at 2am.

Smart choice!!!!!

As for clothes, I'm super unfundie. I hate heat and summer so I wear short shorts and tank tops all summer. Some tight tank tops, some flowy ones. Lots of spaghetti strap sundresses, short ones. My winter wardrobe is a lot of leggings and tunics. Mostly I care to be comfortable. Though I have to say, when I lived in Los Angeles in my mid20s it was obviously quite hot but I could not bring myself to go for walks wearing a tank top bc the damn cat calls were so intimidating (and I am not bragging on that, they would cat call ANYONE). That made me sad because I had never really given any thought to what I wore as I'm pretty average in every way.

2 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Marriage was originally about the ownership of property. What if all this save it for marriage and modesty bullshit was really about treating women like property? :pb_eek:

uh...it is.

The honeymoon episode is on right now and my secondhand embarrassment is so high. 

Michael just said "I LOVE HAVING FIRSTS WITH YOU". 

I can't.

Now M & B are heartbroken that they have to sit a few feet apart in the fishing boat. I get that this is the first time they've gotten to be alone without 9000 people around but dang.

Montana footage so obviously staged.  The desk clerk at the hotel acted like she didn't know who they were when they were about to check in.  Got the sense that the whole thing was comped...or do couples really decide to take fly fishing lessons on their honeymoon?

3 hours ago, habert said:

uh...it is.

Yes. I was being sarcastic. It doesn't come across well in typing. :pb_lol:

58 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Montana footage so obviously staged.  The desk clerk at the hotel acted like she didn't know who they were when they were about to check in.  Got the sense that the whole thing was comped...or do couples really decide to take fly fishing lessons on their honeymoon?

I was more bothered by the fact that they seemed to be at a hampton inn lol. I know everyone has different priorities on their honeymoon but I think I'd like to splurge a little on mine.

6 hours ago, JillyO said:

Since the poster I quoted is Australian and was using Celsius, I did the same.

My nan used to say 'It's so cold out, damn Celsius!'.  But high 20's does sound colder than low 80's.  I can't convert (without help) Fahrenheit save for freezing and 26.6 C (80 F).  

Meet my favorite skirt.  the original version is sans tie, but still convertible.  I have 5 or 6 originals & 1 of the tie & I'm about to order the pink one that's on sale.  http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/women-s-aster-convertible-dress-to-skirt/23150339/_/A-ebSku_0311208707000050__23150339_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Dresses&previousPage=&tab=travex&color=100

just watched the honeymoon episode.  the usual veiled innuendo.  do you wanna do this?  what about this?  what about that  let's just go back to the room.  ok.  Seemed like Michael was enjoying herself much more than Brandon.  

Also, few more details about Zach & the police academy.  It was an overnight thing at first, so I wonder if Whit had to live w/ her inlaws while he was sequestered?

3 hours ago, purple_summer said:

The honeymoon episode is on right now and my secondhand embarrassment is so high. 

I can't.

I was really squicked out when they're walking down the street and talking about going back to the room.

I forgot the part where they're in a coffee shop & inquire about a pastry which they're told is savory - spinach, cheese, artichoke hearts & they seem like they've never heard of such things before.

4 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Wait, WHAT!! They were in Montana for part of their honeymoon?? Damn, I wish I could see footage of that. I wonder if I'd recognize anything.

6 hours ago, purple_summer said:

I can't.

Shame on me but I find that cute. I guess that line is supposed to sound less suggestive than we think it is. I can't snark on a fundie girl who seems to enjoy all the new found intimacy of marriage. There's too many sheltered fundie girls who have no concept of sexuality or their own desires whatsoever, that I feel glad for those who adapt to intimacy more easily. I always had the impression that Michael is a very relaxed person to whom some things just seem natural, like intimacy after marriage. Good for her if she can see it as something pleasurable and rewarding rather than something she needs to wrack her brains over. Reminds me of Jill who seemed curious but not intimidated. 

Erin must have had a much harder time. 

Make sure you're all adblocked up, I tried this ww w. watch series.li/link/5817881 (as suggested by watch series.li/episode/bringing_up_bates_s3_e5.html)

Sorry, I don't know if I'm supposed to be breaking that link or not :/

9 minutes ago, winterdice said:

Make sure you're all adblocked up, I tried this ww w. watch series.li/link/5817881 (as suggested by watch series.li/episode/bringing_up_bates_s3_e5.html)

Sorry, I don't know if I'm supposed to be breaking that link or not :/

That goes to the wedding episode.

8 minutes ago, Alye said:

That goes to the wedding episode.

I tried a few of those links with the same result. Bet they'll fix the site soon.

11 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Marriage was originally about the ownership of property. What if all this save it for marriage and modesty bullshit was really about treating women like property? :pb_eek:

Thats what modesty and purity is all about, at least the gypsies(i thought about them because there is lots of reality shows about them here in spain lately, they are like our own fundies) who also are all about marrying the girls young and virgins dont pretend that its about religion(even if most of them converted to evangelism)but a part of their patriarchal culture to give pride and honour to the father and bullshit like that.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived