• Socks
  • Socks
  • Socks
  • Shop vac
  • Blender
  • Screwdriver
  • Lamp
  • Crockpot

Okay I'm already bored. How is this possibly a fun activity?

• Bed

• Dresser

• Plates

• TV

• Coffee pot

• Bathrobe

...when exactly does the fun come in? Lydia has completely lost her marbles.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, VodouDoll said:

when exactly does the fun come in? Lydia has completely lost her marbles.

When you start doing it alphabetically. Apple, bed, cupboard, dresser, egg, ...

or rhyming: socks, smocks, docs,

or by color: toy fire-engine, apple, red sweater, red bedding, ...

or by age: kitchen sink, pressure cooker, pots, pans, bed, ...

you could even really exercise your brain by making lists of everything you own based on where you purchased it

Who has that kind of time? 

• TV (unused) 
  • TV Furniture (Full of DVD cases, two dvd players, an xbox, some games.) 
  • Cat. 
  • Box that cat sleeps in. Also contains miscellaneous items
  • Couch that cat sleeps on. Contains blankets and pillows. 
  • Coffee table. Two laptops. 
  • Various cords and/or cables. 
  • table with plants. bag of dirt. watering can
  • box of camping supplies. 
  • Box of camping foods. 
  • shelves with various food items. 
  • Table. chairs. plant. 
  • junk mail
  • book shelves. do i have to list every book, dvd, blue-ray, cd, and random item? We could be here a while. 
  • dirty water bottle. 
  • do i need to list all of my bottles?
  • what about wall art? 
  • each piece of furniture or "furniture, assorted?" 
  • every piece of clothing? 
  • Everything in the garage?  
  • what about camping stuff? Does anyone want a list of that? 
  • bikes (3) and assorted accessories and supplies. 
  • bags. lots of bags. 
  • sleeping bags
  • sleeping pads

What kind of horrible game is this? 

OR IS SOMEONE TRYING TO CANVAS PLACES TO BURGLE? 

Now, I've made lists of what I owned for insurance purposes, on occasion.  That crap ended with the invention of  cheap video cameras... you just video your items and stash the thumbdrive in your safe deposit box. 

8 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

do i have to list every book

yes please. Also if you can, make the list sorted by genre(or theme) and then surname. That way it's easier for me to figure out if your books are interesting enough or not.

(ps I hope that doesn't sound too creepy, it's meant as a joke)

1 minute ago, OnceUponATime said:

yes please. Also if you can, make the list sorted by genre(or theme) and then surname. That way it's easier for me to figure out if your books are interesting enough or not.

(ps I hope that doesn't sound too creepy, it's meant as a joke)

I have two copies of The Great Gatsby. I hate both of them. They are the same edition and it's a terribly boring story. How should I denote that? 

Just now, Maggie Mae said:

How should I denote that? 

Under the genre "Free to a good home", the letter F.

My cheapest way of getting rid of books I didn't want was to put them through the library return slot. I always did it when I wasn't returning my own books so they wouldn't be able to link them to me.

I think I might start up a "Little Free Library" for my unwanted books. Anyone have experience with that? 

1 hour ago, OnceUponATime said:

Under the genre "Free to a good home", the letter F.

My cheapest way of getting rid of books I didn't want was to put them through the library return slot. I always did it when I wasn't returning my own books so they wouldn't be able to link them to me.

My library has a slot for donated books, and a small used bookstore at the front of the library.  The larger (county wide) system has an annual sale of retired library and donated books that I've been to once.  MY sister in law and her husband go every year, but I am trying to limit my book purchases.  THat is why I use the library!

I love going to book sales but I try to avoid them because I don't have any room in my bookcases. I do like looking for 'special' books like old out-of-print cooking books, good gardening books, easy readers for foreign languages and of course good quality picture books for the nephews.

I love library book sales. I could go spend hours there. I don't need anymore books, though. I'm a bit of a book hoarder.

I watched her Courtesy at Home video and apparently I don't dress up enough when I'm home to be courteous. You are supposed to dress up even when you are alone at home. And if it is gloomy wear cheery colors. I'm not sure my yoga pants are Lady Lydia approved. They are comfy, though and good for when I'm here cleaning. I don't actually do yoga. 

Her second bit of advice is actually pretty good. You need to model behavior that you want to see in your children. So children should see a mother cleaning up her own mess and not making her children clean it for her. Also she says to be kind and courteous when correcting others(it seems like children in this context) so it won't make them feel defeated. 

I just wish I knew what happened to her. How did her life get to a point in which the highlight of her life is a magazine about lace and tea that she read in 1987?

14 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I think I might start up a "Little Free Library" for my unwanted books. Anyone have experience with that? 

I've heard of them and are considering starting one up myself.  I've asked my ex to make me one the next time he and my daughter start a new woodworking project.

I first heard about them last summer when our local news did a story on them.  The reporter was able to find around 20 of them here in town.  One of the people interviewed was a woman who lives not far from me, although I don't think I've ever been by her house.  She had a large one placed next to her mail box that was at adult height.  When she realized that a good number of the people who showed an interest were actually the school kids walking to and from school, she asked her husband to make another one placed at a more kid friendly level and stocked that one with stuff grade schoolers and below would like.  They're very cute, because her husband is handy in the woodshop.  They look like oversized bird houses with a glass door up front.  

http://littlefreelibrary.org/

lfl_PolkaDot.jpg

15 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

There's one down the street from my house. I really like it. If I ever run out of reading material and don't have time to get to the library I can just walk down the road and grab something. I've put several paperbacks in there and it's nice to see someone's taken them the next time I check.

If birdhouses aren't your thing, you could build a Dalek.

dalek free library.jpg

22 minutes ago, Crocoduck said:

There's one down the street from my house. I really like it. If I ever run out of reading material and don't have time to get to the library I can just walk down the road and grab something. I've put several paperbacks in there and it's nice to see someone's taken them the next time I check.

If birdhouses aren't your thing, you could build a Dalek.

dalek free library.jpg

That is so cool, I have never seen or heard about free little libraries before.  I sometimes leave books at hotels when on holiday after I have finished reading them and I don't want to take them home.  I started this after being in a hotel which had a small 'library' at the check in desk which was all books left from previous guests.

6 minutes ago, caszandra said:

That is so cool, I have never seen or heard about free little libraries before.  I sometimes leave books at hotels when on holiday after I have finished reading them and I don't want to take them home.  I started this after being in a hotel which had a small 'library' at the check in desk which was all books left from previous guests.

The train station in my hometown has one of those. People just leave books they're done with, and you can take one to read on the train. I also heard that some airports have libraries for people on long layovers, which is nice. I think it would be cool if airports could do a sort of book circulation/exchange: pick up a book at a little book exchange at Airport A, read it on the plane, drop it off at an exchange at Airport B. I mean, maybe there would be some security concerns and I know some countries have censorship laws, but it would be nice if more airports had libraries so you wouldn't have to pay for Wifi/use up precious device battery power downloading books, or feel like a creeper sitting in one of those cramped bookstores near the gates reading a book you haven't paid for.

3 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The train station in my hometown has one of those. People just leave books they're done with, and you can take one to read on the train. I also heard that some airports have libraries for people on long layovers, which is nice. I think it would be cool if airports could do a sort of book circulation/exchange: pick up a book at a little book exchange at Airport A, read it on the plane, drop it off at an exchange at Airport B. I mean, maybe there would be some security concerns and I know some countries have censorship laws, but it would be nice if more airports had libraries so you wouldn't have to pay for Wifi/use up precious device battery power downloading books, or feel like a creeper sitting in one of those cramped bookstores near the gates reading a book you haven't paid for.

It's not exactly the same, but I know many kiosks in airports in the US have agreements with other kiosks that you can buy a book from one and then "sell" it back as used to another one like you would at a used book store.  You don't get all your money back, but it's still a cool idea.

@nastyhobbitses,the airport idea is a great one such a shame it isn't happening yet. 

It is really good when things like this happen with books, I know that I sometimes get stuck in a genre and go back time and again to the same type of books.  This is a good way to broaden your horizons and find new and exciting things you might have just passed by before.

Just watched the hospitality video. She says that hospitality is a way that Christians show their love to others and there are great benefits for the hostess too, like learning to have polite conversation, and teaching your kids to love the  ceremony. She suggests that you start practicing by inviting people you are comfortable with, especially your children. Because children love to listen to the clanking of the spoons and how pretty the dainty foods are.

I'm learning so much from her videos. Only Christians invite people for tea. If you don't know how to have a polite conversation it's not too late to learn. When you feed your kids it's called hospitality. And children should be raised to appreciate the tea ceremony.

Mine are heathens, they never drink tea.

In the Courtesy video she says she's going to talk about being friendly to each other, and the first thing she mentions is dressing respectably. ??? what the devil does dressing respectably have to do with friendliness. She says you have to dress up even if home alone. She says others around her are so impressed because she wears yellow on a gloomy day.

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

She suggests that you start practicing by inviting people you are comfortable with, especially your children. Because children love to listen to the clanking of the spoons and how pretty the dainty foods are.

I'm learning so much from her videos. Only Christians invite people for tea. 

The tea ceremony at my house:

"Y'all want some iced tea?"  *served in red, plastic Solo cups*

She says she's going to start making podcasts so ladies have something to listen to while they make the beds and wash the dishes.

How about the radio...? I would find it so depressing to listen to someone talking about, "hey, you have heard about hospitality..." and then I think yeah, it might be nice to invite some friends over for pizza...  But then the voice goes on telling me that I  need to practice making polite conversation, and never mind with the friends, just have some tea with the kids..they will love the noise the spoons make in the teacups..."

Good times.

It's been a long time since I was a kid but I never remember loving the noise spoons make.

On 2/12/2016 at 3:25 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I have two copies of The Great Gatsby. I hate both of them. They are the same edition and it's a terribly boring story. How should I denote that? 

i read Gatsby a few years back for the first time, and i didn't like it either.

Confession:. I have to admit that the recent discussion of fairy bread was fascinating.  I had never heard of this before.  So I just made one with the leftover 100's & 1000's in the bag of Non Pareils from the Vermont Country Store (yes, let's use the proper terminology for the candy bits).  Apologies for the wheat bread, it's all I had.

ok, this was interesting.  I think I'd like it more with Nutella instead of butter.  

image.jpeg

Archived