IGNORED

Group for homeless LGBT youth moves a step closer to buying terrible anti-gay church in Harlem

doggie

could not happen to a more deserving church.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/group-for-homeless-lgbt-youth-moves-a-step-closer-to-buying-terrible-anti-gay-church-in-harlem-8256110?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

The virulently anti-LGBT Atlah Worldwide church in Harlem, whose incendiary pastor believes “Jesus would stone homos,” may soon become the victim of one of the most satisfying ironies of all time. An act of legal justice and the generosity of private donors could be aligning to make the controversial house of hate a safe haven for queer people. No, really.

Just twelve days after announcing a fundraising campaign to take over the church, the Ali Forney Center, an organization that offers shelter and other services to homeless and needy LGBT youth, says it has reached its initial $200,000 goal and is confident it will be able to offer a competitive bid at an auction scheduled for later this month.

“I just have such a huge mix of emotions,” says Carl Siciliano, the Center's founder and executive director. “I’m feeling very hopeful we’ll come to the auction prepared to acquire the building.”

screen_shot_2016-02-09_at_1.27.23_pm.jpg

I think they're doing a GoFundMe or something similar, because my DH kicked in a few bucks. Want me to ask and see which site?

Update: DH can't remember the site, but got a FB notification that they'd hit the minimum goal of $200K USD. Extra dollars can probably be put to Good Use, IMNSHO.

I do hope the Ali Forney center is using an agent in the bidding process and not disclosing which person they are using to make the bid and buy! I mean, it's already in the news that they want to buy it, but in theory, if many bidders are using real estate brokers and don't disclose who they are buying for, the church would not know who was buying for the center. Because the church likely doesn't want to sell to them.

Also, in my city, we have....um, Avenues for Youth, I think. Not a home, but a drop-in center for homeless youth. Don't need to be gay, but about half the kids are and they have an LGBTQ-specific case manager and a network of LGBTQ friendly "host families" they connect with. The kid who stays is treated like an exchange student, more or less, although of course the family often provides a good deal of emotional support as well.

Archived