IGNORED

When Products You Love Stop Working

punkiepie

This has recently happened to me and I'm ridiculously sad about my Anastasia Contour Pallete.  I bought my first one almost two years ago and I LOVED it!  Like, I have no words to describe how well it worked, how good it looked on my face and how a little bit went a long way.  Fast forward to last month when I bought a new one- exactly the same shade as the old one and from the same Sephora; but it's not the same.  Okay, well I have no proof it's not the same, I guess my skin could have changed overnight and is just not receptive to it anymore, but barring that- it's different and it doesn't look anywhere near as good on my face as my old palette. 

I double checked the outside of both palettes and they are identical, all the names are the same. I compared inserts on both of them and they appear to be identical.  There is hardly anything left in my old one, but I decided to apply the old one on one side of my face and the new one on the other side.  I used the same brushes for each, and sure enough, my new palette is "different."  The pigments aren't as pronounced in the highlighters, but are more so in the contours.   I also have to use a lot more product on the highlighters and they still don't look right.  I'm so upset about this!  Is there some kind of hack I can do to my new one to make it better? 

This isn't the first time this has happened to me.  My old favorite FiberWig mascara did a rebrand and changed something and the new version is terrible.  So am I the only one who has had this happen to them?  What other products stopped working for you?

Oh, and if you have any suggestions about a new contour palette, please let me know!

I recently(maybe 5 or 6 months ago) bought a Sonia Kashuk blush on a whim while at Target. I loved it, and I loved how inexpensive it was compared to my usual stuff. I'm about halfway through it now and it's recently become very blotchy on application. It doesn't blend well at all and looks very uneven. It's very strange. I've had things change from one package to the next before and I kinda assumed something changed in the formula. But I've never had something change mid-package. At least not something that's a powder.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My problem is not so much products not working anymore, but discontinued products.  I used to use Presciptives Custom Blend and then the entire line was discontinued by Estee Lauder only to be resurrected a few years later.  I wish I'd gotten my custom blend "recipes" because now they make Custom Blend again, but it's all online and sometimes it takes a bit of experimentation to get the right formula.  After Prescriptives went under, I went back to Estee Lauder. Double Wear in Cool Bone works fine with Lucidity loose powder in Transparent.  About a year or so ago, Estee Lauder discontinued their Lucidity Loose Powder and replaced it with Perfectionist.  Half the powder at 10 bucks more and the lightest shade is too damn dark. (The online reviews for Perfectionist powder are scathing.)  I'm still looking for a good powder.  I could use Lucidity in a compact, get Custom Blend powder or just shop around.  I may go by Sephora this week and also stop in at the Elizabeth Arden counter.  One woman wrote that she found a good replacement for Lucidity there.  

What I am not going to do is to buy Lucidity loose powder in Transparent for $113 from Amazon.

Archived