IGNORED

Kirk Cameron to Produce Pro-slavery Audio Drama

Cleopatra7

35 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

I agree, and our mixed family has experienced a good deal of that: "Oh it's so great you have black children; personally, I don't even see color." Huh? Leaving racism, legacy of slavery and Jim Crow, and lots of other issues aside, how do those two statements go together?

But even if I granted him the "colorblind" issue, how about Henty's views on color-coded intelligence and civilization? Does Cameron think his biracial children get their IQ from the white side? I have a hard time even typing this.

Two possibilities:

1) He doesn't really think the things he says apply to his own children.

2) He does think the things he says apply to them and communicates this to them in many subtle ways.

Both would make life difficult for those children. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

That kid looks like he really wants to knee Doug in the groin.

more like not this shit again god please make it stop

58 minutes ago, SledCat said:

The Homeschooler's Anonymous article was tough to read. I did not realize that Cameron had adopted kids, either. What history lessons have those kids learned?

I've loathed Kirk Cameron since hearing about his controlling behavior, under the guise of "religion", on Growing Pains. Many people that worked on the show did not have anything nice to say about him. As he was a big star at the time they had no choice but to pander to his whims. :frown:

Kirk Cameron became such an ass on the set of Growning Pains after he became religious. Apparently up until that point he was a pleasure to work with. As if they didn't have enough to deal with because of what was happening with Tracey Gold.  I heard a few members if the crew left because of him. 

9 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Two possibilities:

1) He doesn't really think the things he says apply to his own children.

2) He does think the things he says apply to them and communicates this to them in many subtle ways.

Both would make life difficult for those children. 

I can't help but think #2 the likely choice. I am always a little taken aback when people are so open about racism like this. i

4 hours ago, Miss M said:

Well there goes Sean Astin who is in it and Brian Blessed who reviewed it, for me, checking them on the "don't watch anymore" list, I know actor have to work, but really!!

This really is unlike Sean and doesn't agree with his politics, from what I can tell.  Sean can't be that hard up for money that he has to do this shit.  Somebody needs to enlighten him about this.   He's been pretty careless about what the films and other projects he makes lately.

Would love to think this will finally shred what's left of Kirk Cameron's reputation in all things, including show biz.

Also hadn't realized that Heid was producing such crap on his own. Last I heard of him he was scamming the sheeple working in Kevin Turley's Landmark Events which specializes in white supremacist retelling of US history and features one of our other favorite faux historians, Bill Potter -- failed Ph.D. student and best man at Doug Phillips wedding:

wedding_phillips.jpg

It's interesting to hear this on the biggest sports day of the year in the U.S. Two diverse teams, playing in front of a diverse crowd that is in love with their team. Sure people try and play up one quarterback is black and one is white but most people just care about the play of the game and praying for their team to win. It's just people enjoying other people. In Kirk Cameron's world, the non-white players/fans, would be happier and more content if enslaved and subjected to abuse because they are not the right race. Cam Newton may be having a bad night but I am sure he wouldn't wake up tomorrow and say that maybe his life would be better in a Kirk Cameron world. 

Yet another reason to not care for KC. It's amazing how religious converts can change. He snubbed his cast mates and didnt invite them to his wedding. What makes anyone do a complete 360? Lisa Welchel is a whacko but I never heard of her going this far.

30 minutes ago, roddma said:

Yet another reason to not care for KC. It's amazing how religious converts can change. He snubbed his cast mates and didnt invite them to his wedding. What makes anyone do a complete 360? Lisa Welchel is a whacko but I never heard of her going this far.

No she never did. She has maintained a relationship with her cast mates unlike Kirk Cameron.  Their was an episode of Facts of Life where Lisa was not in because it had to do with pre-material sex but that was it. They had wanted her character to be the one. But she wasn't confortable with it and they used the Natalie character instead. 

Another difference better. Kirk Cameron and Lisa Welchel is that she was always a religious person (went to church and stuff) where as Kirk became religious very quickly over a few month period.  Like the show finished the season in April they came back in August & he changed big time. 

18 minutes ago, socalrules said:

It's interesting to hear this on the biggest sports day of the year in the U.S. Two diverse teams, playing in front of a diverse crowd that is in love with their team. Sure people try and play up one quarterback is black and one is white but most people just care about the play of the game and praying for their team to win. It's just people enjoying other people. In Kirk Cameron's world, the non-white players/fans, would be happier and more content if enslaved and subjected to abuse because they are not the right race. Cam Newton may be having a bad night but I am sure he wouldn't wake up tomorrow and say that maybe his life would be better in a Kirk Cameron world. 

I'm old enough to remember when there were no black quarterbacks in the NFL. The received wisdom was that black players were strong and fast, but not disciplined or intellectual enough for QB. In baseball, once the big leagues gave up  fighting integration tooth and nail, they said blacks would never excel as pitchers or catchers. Once again, too much strategy involved. After players broke through those barriers, it started all over again in big league sports with coaching and managing. Owners said black players needed direction by smarter, whiter people.

It wasn't until just now when I looked up the first black NFL quarterback (Doug Williams in 1968) that I learned that Russell Wilson is only the second black quarterback to win the Superbowl. That's two people in 50 years. Somehow I doubt lack of talent and intelligence has been the issue.

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Would love to think this will finally shred what's left of Kirk Cameron's reputation in all things, including show biz.

unless he has sex with a preteen child (after that it is the girls fault) or the family dog he will be the apple of his followers eye. look at gothard still trucking he is. 

At first I was outraged when I read the first post.  By the time I got to the last page where I could comment I'm no longer shocked.  Let's face it, Cameron is a fan of the Duggars.  The Duggars treat the girls in their family as property. They work without pay, they can't go anywhere by themselves, the older ones where beat, some of the girls sexually abused, etc.  So if the models for his kids are the Duggars why is it shocking he thinks a portion of society should be held as property?  

9 hours ago, formergothardite said:

The Bates won't because they have learned to hide their racism. The Duggars might be stupid enough to do it. 

Bin and Jessa will whore it out on social media for sure. 

9 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

Why doesn't he just remake Birth of a Nation? Then explain to us why Jim Crow was necessary for a good society and how those civil rights protesters just didn't know their place. Go all out, Kirk.

That's the sequel

Sadly, I am not shocked by this. If you are a minority of any kind, Kirk Cameron makes it his mission to put out false information to harm the people he dislikes. We all knew Cameron was a misogynistic bigot, so it is not a far stretch to find out he is a racist as well. In typical KC fashion, he rewrites history to support his claims and actions. He always does. He likes to disguised his hatred and tries to pass it off as loving and Christlike. There is nothing loving or Christlike about Kirk Cameron.

I really worry about his children. They are being exposed to some dangerous and damaging ideology. 

13 hours ago, refugee said:

No words.

ETA: I wonder if Cameron took Steve Wilkins' history class? It used to be available on amazon and ebay for purchase.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2004/neo-confederate-preacher-steve-wilkins-pushes-distorted-view-history

Actually, the guy who writes the blog for the organization that produces this drama had a whole series of posts about Robert E. Lee that seem to be entirely based on Wilkins' biography.

6 hours ago, roddma said:

I don't know the whole story of what he was like before, but given how much of a bigoted, narcissistic, ignorant asshole he is now, I don't think religion "changed" Kirk Cameron so much as gave him a platform and a candy coating for all the horrible things he already believed. 

13 hours ago, refugee said:

No words.

Have you heard of the Robinson Curriculum? It was big in HS circles at one time. I bought it for our insatiable reader -- all those books! We talked about everything the kid read. I didn't have time to pre-read all the stuff -- the kid read twice as fast as I could, and had more reading time.

The Reader's feedback was interesting to hear.

All those old series... The Bobbsey Twins. The Rover Boys. Henty. Terrible stereotyping. That's what fundie hs'ers who go back to the books of the 1800s as superior reading material are getting.

Art Robinson is a wingnut, John Birch society, ran for state senate (I think) in Oregon. One of his sons married a Seppi daughter. He had some donors in common with Ted Cruz.

It's 2016.  Since 1981, when I looked up in my teenage years and first said, "This is 1981, how is this racist bullshit STILL going on!?! . I've thought, well next year it has to get better.   *sigh*

7 hours ago, doggie said:

unless he has sex with a preteen child (after that it is the girls fault) or the family dog he will be the apple of his followers eye. look at gothard still trucking he is. 

Hey, that dog was always tramping around the house naked! Kirk was DEFRAUDED.

9 hours ago, older than allosaurs said:

It wasn't until just now when I looked up the first black NFL quarterback (Doug Williams in 1968) that I learned that Russell Wilson is only the second black quarterback to win the Superbowl.

Williams wasn't drafted to the Bucs until 1978.  
Not to be pissy about your post, but to illustrate it took even longer. :wink-penguin:  
If I recall he was always one of the lowest paid QB's in the league too (while with the Bucs); making even less than some second-stringers.

16 hours ago, anjulibai said:

BTW, there were many slaves that stayed to work on the plantations after they were freed, or stayed in the areas.

But that's not because they liked slavery. It's because they had few choices to survive. They need to eat and put roofs over their heads, and many didn't want to leave their families who lived in the area. 

It certainly wasn't because they liked being slaves. That's completely twisting history. 

Thus began sharecropping and another system of exploitation. Many ex slaves could not read or write and were defenseless against unscrupulous land owners. After locating family members who had been sold, establishing schools was a priority for many newly freed slaves who wanted better for their children. 

I wish the Gone with the Wind mythology of the happy slave would die once and for all. There were many passive acts, lots of ground glass in food, that kind of thing, where "smiling" slaves made their unhappiness clear. I'm Black and the misrepresentation of chattel slavery angers me. Kirk Cameron is an azzhole and did those Black children he adopted no favors, with his White savior complex. Like John Schadt in Zambia, ugh.

There are some things on FJ that I just don't want to read because I know it will sicken me.  This is one of them.

Even though I live in the south, it has always turned my stomach to see the hidden and not-so-hidden racism, the flying of the Rebel flag (Why tout something as "pride" that serves as a symbol of hurt to so many?), the generations who refuse to part from their parents' and grandparents' view of "colored people," and those who "feel sorry for bi-racial children.  We have the technology to put humans on the moon, to potentially send humans to Mars, to walk around with the equivalent of tiny computers in our hands, to Skype people across the globe...and yet racism still exists?  

Sigh...if it weren't about skin color, I'm sure the human race (and I do believe we are all one race with varying tones) would have found another physical characteristic to trod underfoot:  eye color, hair color, height, foot size, etc.  

8 minutes ago, Alicja said:

bitch WHERE in the Bible does Jesus condone slavery? 

bitch WHERE

He doesn't.  Also the very fact that he spent time alone with a Samaritan woman in the middle of the day at a public well shows that he was not racist, misogynistic, or bothered by social customs or gossip. 

6 hours ago, Mecca said:

Sadly, I am not shocked by this. If you are a minority of any kind, Kirk Cameron makes it his mission to put out false information to harm the people he dislikes. We all knew Cameron was a misogynistic bigot, so it is not a far stretch to find out he is a racist as well. In typical KC fashion, he rewrites history to support his claims and actions. He always does. He likes to disguised his hatred and tries to pass it off as loving and Christlike. There is nothing loving or Christlike about Kirk Cameron.

I really worry about his children. They are being exposed to some dangerous and damaging ideology. 

I worry about the children too. It's one thing to be a minority in an invalidating society, but your home and local community should be a haven from prejudice. For the Cameron children, the home itself is probably invalidating, and I'm sure whatever church the family attends is the same way. 

Archived