IGNORED

Kirk Cameron to Produce Pro-slavery Audio Drama

Cleopatra7

While we question whether fundies celebrate Black History Month, it's clear Kirk Cameron isn't too keen on the idea based on his newest project:

Three years after championing a providential view of history in his movie Monumental, former child star Kirk Cameron has joined forces with Marshall Foster and Bill Heid to create and promote an audio drama based on G.A. Henry’s 1890 book, With Lee In Virginia.

In the book, the main character Vincent is a Confederate supporter who fights against the Union. Though the character initially finds slavery repugnant, Vincent learns from his father that not all slave owners are bad and that some slaves like being enslaved. “There are good plantations and bad plantations,” the father tells Vincent, “and there are many more good ones than bad ones.” Throughout the book, Henty as narrator (and through his characters) defends the institution of slavery. He lambasts “Mrs. Beecher Stowe” (abolitionist Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of Uncle Tom’s Cabin), accusing her of “libel” against the South. Henty writes that, “Taken all in all, the negroes on a well-ordered estate, under kind masters, were probably a happier class of people.” This sentiment echoes other contemporary slavery apologists like Doug Wilson. At the end of the novel, Hentry has the freed slaves decide to return to their former owners because the black people decide freedom “was a curse rather than a blessing to them.”

This theme of black people returning to their former owners extends from Henty’s belief in white supremacy and black inferiority. In With Lee In Virginia, Henty writes that black people “are very like children.” Henty believed black people could not handle freedom, a belief he makes explicit in his other novels as well. In By Sheer Luck, he writes, “The intelligence of an average Negro is about equal to that of a European child of ten years old… Left to their own devices they retrograde into a state little above their native savagery.”

In A Roving Commission, Henty declares that, “The majority of blacks are as savage, ignorant, and superstitious as their forefathers in Africa.” He also describes “the utter incapacity of the negro race to evolve, or even maintain, civilization, without the example and the curb of a white population among them.” Because of their alleged “incapacity to evolve,” Henty thought slavery was necessary for black people. In A Woman of the Commune, Henty refers to slavery as the “nature of the negro” because “servitude is his natural position.”

http://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/01/18/kirk-cameron-lends-support-to-g-a-henty-audio-drama/

Does this mean Cameron is against the Civil Rights Movement, as many Christian Reconstructionists/neo-Confederares are? I know Cameron has some adopted black/biracial children, and transracial adoption would have been forbidden without the Civil Rights Movement. I would like to know if he believes that his children are "ignorant," "incapable of evolution," and "meant to be slaves." I simply can't fathom how Cameron can reconcile such vile views with the personhood of his own children. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No words.

Have you heard of the Robinson Curriculum? It was big in HS circles at one time. I bought it for our insatiable reader -- all those books! We talked about everything the kid read. I didn't have time to pre-read all the stuff -- the kid read twice as fast as I could, and had more reading time.

The Reader's feedback was interesting to hear.

All those old series... The Bobbsey Twins. The Rover Boys. Henty. Terrible stereotyping. That's what fundie hs'ers who go back to the books of the 1800s as superior reading material are getting.

ETA: I wonder if Cameron took Steve Wilkins' history class? It used to be available on amazon and ebay for purchase.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2004/neo-confederate-preacher-steve-wilkins-pushes-distorted-view-history

Boy they pretty much rounded everyone up in that article didn't they, Rushdoony, Cameron, Heid, and Doug "who is a tool" Phillips, Doug Wilson...etc!!

39 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

What the everloving fuck did i just read? Oh, Kirk, i'm ashamed of the fact that i had a crush in you back in grade 10.

i tried to write a longer reply, but this has me so disgusted that i can't put rational thoughts together.  sorry for the quote box, i messed that up too....

This is a new low, even for Kirk. I am really surprised by this. I guess I didn't expect blatant racism from him. 

Sure, the bible condones slavery, and killing your kids if they're disrespectful, so let's just say that all the slaves had kind masters.  THEY WERE STILL SLAVES.  Not allowed to have independent thoughts. Much like the Duggar kids. I am seriously blown away.

Well there goes Sean Astin who is in it and Brian Blessed who reviewed it, for me, checking them on the "don't watch anymore" list, I know actor have to work, but really!!

I feel like asking if this is just an article for The Onion. It cannot be real. 

At this point, Kirk Cameron's only hope at redemption is to claim he cannot actually read so he thought the book said the opposite of what it actually does. I am sure the KKK will give it five stars.

Am I really shocked that a fundamentalist Christian endorses and is involved in something that promotes white supremacy? Not at all. Am I surprised that it is so overt? Honestly, yes. I do not know how someone who claims to be a Christian can in ANY way argue that slavery is justified and not so bad after all.  

19 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

This is a new low, even for Kirk. I am really surprised by this. I guess I didn't expect blatant racism from him. 

To be honest, I'm not that surprised that Cameron has these views, only surprised that he's airing them publicly. Many fundies, Catholic and Protestant alike, seem to think that the antebellum South was the ideal Christian society, untainted by the problems of modernity. The American conservative movement has always been sympathetic to the white Southern view of race relations, which is why publications like National Review and American Conservative never know what to say on MLK Day, other than "Yeah Jim Crow kinda sucked, but MLK was an adulterer, so he doesnt deserve a holiday. And abortion is worse than slavery and the Holocaust put together anyway." Cameron may be more extreme in this regard, but I think the idea that slavery and Jim Crow weren't so bad is more common than many FJers would like to think.

I can believe that some plantation/owners were not violent or abusive. I can believe that some were even kind.

But. They. Still. Owned. Other. Human. Beings. 

An enslaved person can be kindly treated, but at the end of the day, he or she is still enslaved. No freedom, no liberty, no rights.

Let's see how Mr. Cameron would like that life for himself and his children -- children who could get sold to someone else at any time. Hell, let's see how he'd like it for himself and his wife, who could *also be sold at any time. 

It's dehumanizing and cruel no matter HOW kind and nonabusive the "owner" is. 

25 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Sure, the bible condones slavery, and killing your kids if they're disrespectful, so let's just say that all the slaves had kind masters.  THEY WERE STILL SLAVES.  Not allowed to have independent thoughts. Much like the Duggar kids. I am seriously blown away.

thank you; i was trying to make this comparison earlier, but it kept coming out wrong.

So, this is disgusting, but thanks to @Cleopatra7 and Homeschoolers Anonymous for bringing this to light.

Regarding his adopted children, isn't it some kind of a thing in fundie circles to adopt children of different races as a way to "bring them to God" or some nonsense like that? I've seen bits and pieces about this on FJ, but I don't know enough to draw the whole picture. Can someone fill this in?

Gross. 

How can anyone write this crap or believe and then look a black person in the eye? Do they never meet any black doctors, nurses, EMTs, police officers, firefighters, teachers, lawyers, etc.? I just don't get it. 

1 minute ago, 16strong said:

Wonder if the Duggars or Bateses will Instagram a picture of themselves listening to this?

The Bates won't because they have learned to hide their racism. The Duggars might be stupid enough to do it. 

Archived