IGNORED

Just found out I accidently unplugged the basement fridge

47of74

I just found out this morning from my brother that I had accidentally unplugged the basement fridge at his place while I was over there last week and as a result the stuff in the freezer all defrosted.  Gave him $50 to cover the food getting ruined.

Oh, I feel for ya.

One time one of the teens went to get ice cream out of the chest freezer in the garage and left the lid open. Sheesh. 

Ugh... I did something like that to our own chest freezer downstairs once. Con was all the food lost, pro was being able to simply open the drain for five minutes and have defrosting it all done... We've had it plugged into a dedicated outlet after that.

3 hours ago, doggie said:

Did he make you scrub it out?

Nope, it didn't make too much of a mess. 

Thing was that he had it plugged into a green extension cord that I was positive wasn't plugged in to anything when I unplugged it to use another extension cord in the outlet.  He said they didn't plug it into the outlet next to the fridge because it would trip the circuit breaker as that outlet was hooked up to the same circuits the basement lights were on.

He's got some funny stuff going on with the wiring/outlets in his house.  The outlets upstairs are pretty much all two pronged outlets without ground.  I told him he needs to get that fixed, especially if he and his wife were to ever want to sell the house.  If it was my house that would have been one of the first things to get done even before I moved in.

We have a small second fridge in our laundry.  It's plugged into a long power point with four outlets, one each for the fridge,washing machine, dryer and iron.  The iron and dryer have to be turned off at the power point.  I was so paranoid about the fridge being accidentally turned off that all four plugs are now labelled in large, bold laundry marker.  

Not quite the same thing as turning off your brothers fridge, but I still feel guilty (40 or so years later) that way back when I was a child I stayed with my great aunt one school holidays. After grocery shopping with her, she asked me to take a bottle of lemonade out to the laundry.  I took it out there, saw a fridge, marvelled that anyone could be rich enough to have a second fridge, and assumed she meant to put the bottle in it.

She was very kind and not even the slightest bit angry with me the next day when the bottle - glass in those days - had completely exploded into pieces in the fridge which was actually a freezer.  :embarrassed:

On 2/7/2016 at 5:12 PM, 47of74 said:

He's got some funny stuff going on with the wiring/outlets in his house.  The outlets upstairs are pretty much all two pronged outlets without ground.  I told him he needs to get that fixed, especially if he and his wife were to ever want to sell the house. 

Certainly this is not up to code, and is also dangerous. Electricity is nothing to play with.

Certainly this is not up to code, and is also dangerous. Electricity is nothing to play with.

Yeah I know. His house though so I'm not pressing too hard.

• 1 year later...

My brother and sister-in-law went and got a new fridge for the kitchen after the old one cut out a couple times and the food all got ruined.  

Archived