IGNORED

Whatever Happened to Philip Lancaster?

GenerationCedarchip

I was visiting with an old friend. She still goes to the church where I grew up, and to close friends, she will describe herself as a "recovering Quiverfuller." Mostly we were just catching up on people we know and so on, but somehow the conversation got around to her QF days. Philip (Phil) Lancaster doesn't get mentioned on here much, but I remember him as being a big deal in QF circles in the 1990s-2000s. If I remember right, he was the owner, or at least was one of the owners, of Patriarch magazine. My old church wasn't entirely QF, but there has definitely been a QF contingent there since the 90s and I do remember hearing folks mention Lancaster and the magazine.

I did a little googling and aside from finding mentions of him being a former military chaplain and mentions of Patriarch magazine, I can't find much.  Did he just completely fall off the radar, or is he on to new projects? I was just curious.

30 minutes ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

I was visiting with an old friend. She still goes to the church where I grew up, and to close friends, she will describe herself as a "recovering Quiverfuller." Mostly we were just catching up on people we know and so on, but somehow the conversation got around to her QF days. Philip (Phil) Lancaster doesn't get mentioned on here much, but I remember him as being a big deal in QF circles in the 1990s-2000s. If I remember right, he was the owner, or at least was one of the owners, of Patriarch magazine. My old church wasn't entirely QF, but there has definitely been a QF contingent there since the 90s and I do remember hearing folks mention Lancaster and the magazine.

I did a little googling and aside from finding mentions of him being a former military chaplain and mentions of Patriarch magazine, I can't find much.  Did he just completely fall off the radar, or is he on to new projects? I was just curious.

You're right about Patriarch magazine. He also wrote at least one book that I remember was popularized by Vision Forum and their ilk, something about raising sons to be knights in shining armor, iirc.

I remember his name coming up during the fall of VF, but I'm sorry to say I can't remember any details or context.

(That I can even remember how to put two letters together to make a word, this morning, is a minor miracle.)

He wrote Family man, family leader--big Biblical Patriarchy advocate. Vision Forum promoted his book, and I think he collaborated with Doug Phillips (who is a tool) on an article about this subject. No idea what he's up to these days.

edited to add: How could I forget to mention his essay "The Loving Art of Spanking"? 

20 hours ago, Mary C Doates said:

He wrote Family man, family leader--big Biblical Patriarchy advocate. Vision Forum promoted his book, and I think he collaborated with Doug Phillips (who is a tool) on an article about this subject. No idea what he's up to these days.

edited to add: How could I forget to mention his essay "The Loving Art of Spanking"? 

The Loving Art of Spanking sounds like a BDSM guide. 

I found excerpts from his book on Amazon. There's a literally a section anticipating the question "A Patriarchy Cult?" :pb_eek: 

Karen Campbell (who blogs as That Mom) mentions Lancaster in her essay looking at how all of the patriocentric nonsense, including Patriarchy magazine & Phil Lancaster, developed within and then overwhelmed the Xtian homeschooling movement:

By 1993, Phil Lancaster, a PCA pastor, also became a well-known patriarchy apologist, publishing a magazine called Patriarchy, which also promoted many of Gothard’s views on men and women. His magazine was shared by homeschooling fathers and was distributed through homeschooling conferences.

The whole essay is worth reading. I'd forgotten about James & Stacy McDonald's magazine, Patriarch's Path, full of similar dreck.

Archived