IGNORED

Parents Who Name Girls Isis

roddma

Couple says they named toddler after Egyptian goddess. Funny they mention the old Saturday morning show"Isis". It's sad when a name gets attached to something less than stellar.
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20160202/BLOG58/160209922

What these parents talk about here has already happened to one girl. I cant imagine getting turned down for something because of a name:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/01/20/isis-a-bullied-7th-grader-has-a-strong-message-for-kids-who-share-her-name/

That's a shame. Isis has been a perfectly nice name for a long time, and it's sad that it has now taken on such horrible associations through no fault of the parents.

When we were little and got to play dress up with my grandma's old costume jewelry, my cousin always called herself Isis from the cartoon. 

I got a text from her about a year ago that she was so hating the name being "stolen" by terrorists and she knew only I would understand her angst. 

One of my grand cats was named Isis. My son-in-law kinda wanted to change her name, but she was old and they didn't.  She's crossed the Rainbow Bridge already.

The cream Labrador on Downton Abbey was also named Isis.  Right before she "died" on the show, Lady Grantham had her sleep on their bed so that she could spend her last hours with the people she loved and who loved her.   I thought that was sweet.

I know a four-year-old girl named Isis. A few of her relatives pointedly address her by her middle name, but her mother (a strong, sassy, take-no-shit Samoan woman) is having none of it. She insists her daughter was named for the goddess, and that the name will only make her daughter stronger.

I think most of us are reserving judgement on that point until Isis starts school.

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

One of my grand cats was named Isis. My son-in-law kinda wanted to change her name, but she was old and they didn't.  She's crossed the Rainbow Bridge already.

The cream Labrador on Downton Abbey was also named Isis.  Right before she "died" on the show, Lady Grantham had her sleep on their bed so that she could spend her last hours with the people she loved and who loved her.   I thought that was sweet.

On a side note: Lord Grantham's dog was named Isis, after the Egyptian goddess, as a shout out to the 5th Lord of Carnarvon, the owner of Highclere Castle where Downton Abbey is filmed. That's why theres a bunch of Egyptian artefacts in cases somewhere or other in the show.

Like Lord Grantham, and other impoverished owners of wealthy country piles in England, the Earl married a wealthy heiress (the rather oddly named Almina Wombwell) who was the illegitimate daughter of Baron Alfred de Rothschild (big money!!). Her money founded his explorations in Egypt, famous for locating the tomb of Tutankhamen in 1922. She was there with him when Howard Carter opened the tomb.

Apparently Almina's womb was indeed well as they had a couple of children, and currently, the 8th Earl lives there with his family. The money from Downton Abbey has meant they could get a lot of repair work done to Highclere, as it was starting to fall apart, and the family were living in a cottage on the property.

ETA:

Err, sorry about that - please continue normal discussion, I went way off on a tangent there :)

@DaffyDill, thanks for sharing that stuff about Highclere Castle and where Isis got her name. That reminds me that Downton Abbey comes on tomorrow evening.  Time to brew tea told drink while it's on!

I may have liked Isis from the Saturday TV show better than Wonder Woman.  

There's a documentary on netlfix about Highclere now.  I think I caught it when it was on PBS>  

1 hour ago, roddma said:

It makes me wonder do they teach mythology in school anymore.

Youngest just finished up a week-long mythology lesson for Reading in her middle grades class (6th).  We' re in a Southern Republican state, I was surprised the mythology material got through!

I named my rescued Greyhound, Isis. It suited her; she was so regal and her racing name was Ghetto Girl which was a terrible name.

11 hours ago, Lillybee said:

She did, she crossed the rainbow bridge last year.

I am so sorry to hear the Isis crossed the Bridge.  My own dear, sweet Lucy did as well, almost a year ago.

I think it would be questionable to name a child Isis now, but I do feel bad for the parents who chose that name before it had its current association.

It reminds me of this bit of stand-up I saw:

svDQJx2.jpg

We (@ my mother's house, I mean) took in a stray cat many moons ago. She was a black polydactyl dlh, & I named her Isis (after the Egyptian goddess). She was one of the best cats we ever had. She crossed the Bridge about 4 years or so ago, & I still think I see her out of the corner of my eye whenever I go to mom's house to visit.

PS: I remember the Isis TV show from when I was a wee lass. I always loved her pendant, too. 

On 2/7/2016 at 8:42 PM, DaffyDill said:

On a side note: Lord Grantham's dog was named Isis, after the Egyptian goddess, as a shout out to the 5th Lord of Carnarvon, the owner of Highclere Castle where Downton Abbey is filmed. That's why theres a bunch of Egyptian artefacts in cases somewhere or other in the show.

Like Lord Grantham, and other impoverished owners of wealthy country piles in England, the Earl married a wealthy heiress (the rather oddly named Almina Wombwell) who was the illegitimate daughter of Baron Alfred de Rothschild (big money!!). Her money founded his explorations in Egypt, famous for locating the tomb of Tutankhamen in 1922. She was there with him when Howard Carter opened the tomb.

Apparently Almina's womb was indeed well as they had a couple of children, and currently, the 8th Earl lives there with his family. The money from Downton Abbey has meant they could get a lot of repair work done to Highclere, as it was starting to fall apart, and the family were living in a cottage on the property.

ETA:

Err, sorry about that - please continue normal discussion, I went way off on a tangent there :)

The book about Almina is an interesting one, if you're interested in the real family. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but

Spoiler

before Robert's ulcer burst at that dinner

Lady Grantham was showing the grandchildren a scrapbook saying that they've been to Egypt, to me that was another tribute to the 5th Lord Carnarvon.

I recently watched Series One of a documentary called Million Dollar American Princesses, narrated by Elizabeth McGovern (Lady Grantham) and all about the cashed up American daughters wanting to marry into the English nobility to gain more respect and class. In return, the English needed the American money to repair their gigantic country homes, such as Highclere.

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/million-dollar-american-princesses/1003587

ETA: There is a second series too, according to the above link.

@ADoyle90815, I noticed that Lord and Lady Grantham were showing George and Sybbie the pictures from their tour of Egypt.  Wasn't Lord Grantham showing the grandchildren a picture of the Sphinx?

I am going to have to catch the midnight showing of Downton Abbey tonight.  TCM is showing Casablanca followed by Now, Voyager which are two of my favorite movies.

On 2/8/2016 at 4:05 PM, roddma said:

It makes me wonder do they teach mythology in school anymore.

Not much, maybe a week.  When I was younger, I went to a private parochial school, and we spent an entire semester on it.  These days, you might get a week, if that.  One of my friends named all of her kids after gods and goddesses, though I side-eyed Eros, and now that he's a teen..., and she's complained about the local public schools not doing more than some cutesy stuff about Cupid for Valentine's Day.  Since mythology touches on gods and goddesses, and yoga's getting called out for religion, a lot of schools might be scared of doing mythology.

Archived