IGNORED

Cosmetic nostalgia

HerNameIsBuffy

Anyone get notalgic for old cosmetics you can't get anymore?

i don't recall the brand but I loved, loved, loved this cornflower eye makeup remover that came in a dark blue glass bottle.  Smelled like summer.

and I still wear Love's Baby Soft because it's the smell of happiness.

I miss having Halsa hair.  (can still sing the jingle)

Bonnie Bell lip smackers.  Cannot tell you how much of my allowance went toward every flavor of those (although bubblegum was and will always be the best)

And rememeber that clear super shiny lip gloss that went on with a rollerball...glass tube?  What was the name of that?  Their bubblegum was also excellent.

ribbon barrettes?

okay I'm done - going to go find a time machine ...

Oh, I had ribbon barrettes circa 1981!!

i remember the roller ball lip gloss; it might have been Kissing Potion.  And I had Love's Babby Soft all through high school.

Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific!

I can get a little bit nostalgic for those Hard Candy nail polishes from the 90s that had the cheap jelly rings on them. 

Oh I had a Caboodle! My dad said it looked like a gay tacklebox (he's lgbt friendly I promise). It's no wonder my generation has a makeup hording problem!

I still love my first lipstick which was a cult 90's/00's product, Black Cherry by Clinique. I think that has come full circle and is popular again. 

Haha anyone remember the brand Jane? It's been forever since I thought about that stuff! I can't remember but I think it was a sister company to something big like Lancome or something.

All I can remember is everything had huge chunky glitter in it. The worst was by the time I got to Junior High it was all about the frost. *shudders*

I definitely remember the ribbon barrettes, and I definitely had a Caboodle in junior high as that's when they were huge. I also spent plenty of my allowance on Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers, and one Christmas, I got one of those plastic candy cane like things full of them in my stocking.

45 minutes ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I definitely remember the ribbon barrettes, and I definitely had a Caboodle in junior high as that's when they were huge. I also spent plenty of my allowance on Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers, and one Christmas, I got one of those plastic candy cane like things full of them in my stocking.

My girls always got super excited over those candy cane Bonnie Belle lip balms.  Loves Baby Soft was their first perfume, and just imagine trying to find 4 different type caboodles for all the daughters

45 minutes ago, ADoyle90815 said:

Maybelline Dial-a-Lash mascara, Kissing Potion, Loves Baby Soft perfume.

Jane Cosmetics have been brought back from the brink of extinction!  You can find them at Kohl's and Ulta, but maybe not all of their stores.

I did get a Jane brow pencil once and I hate to say this, but it was terrible!  The one I got from Chanel was so much better and actually ended up being cheaper to use.  My Chanel pencil lasted almost a year; my Jane pencil didn't last a month and was a horror to sharpen.

6 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Jane Cosmetics have been brought back from the brink of extinction!  You can find them at Kohl's and Ulta, but maybe not all of their stores.

I did get a Jane brow pencil once and I hate to say this, but it was terrible!  The one I got from Chanel was so much better and actually ended up being cheaper to use.  My Chanel pencil lasted almost a year; my Jane pencil didn't last a month and was a horror to sharpen.

I did some sleuthing around apparently it's original parent company was Estee Lauder, so I wasn't too off on that. Well that's disappointing to hear it wasn't quality. Then again my teen self wouldn't have had a clue what was good and what wasn't at the time, the internet has revolutionized the industry.

The original formula of Clairol Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner.  I not longer shampoo (cleaning condish now), but this still might tempt me.  I loved the way it smelled!  A "Garden of Earthly Delights" indeed!

Charles of the Ritz Revenescence moisturizer or serum or whatever. I rarely bought this because I was a broke college student, but man, did it feel wonderful on my face!  Charles of the Ritz no longer exists as a company, but it was a luxury division of Revlon.

Coty herbal sachets/ creams.  I don't recall off-hand what they were called, but I liked them.  (Yeah, I'm an old hippie!)  They came in a compact with three scents and there were three different compacts: woodsy, floral and spice.

Estee Lauder recently discontinued their legendary Lucidity loose powder.  (They still make Lucidity pressed powder.) Many, many women loved Lucidity.  I'd used it off-and-on for more than 25 years.  The "replacement" Perfectionist is awful!  Too dark even in Light, too expensive and too small.  I'm not mourning it too much, though, because having to find a new powder led me to Lancome, which I like their Teint Idole foundation better and Translucence loose powder just as well.

7 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Maybelline Dial-a-Lash mascara, Kissing Potion, Loves Baby Soft perfume.

Omg dial a lash!  Yes!  

Tame Cream Rinse.  (although finally finding Biolage's Detangling rinse/conditioner comes awfully close).  

Avon's Sweet Honesty.

I didn't like Love's Baby Soft But i want to say they had something with a lavender cap - i could be wrong.  

Tickle Deodorant

@clueliss, wow, Tame Creme Rinse is a real blast from the past!  Do you remember when they used to put shampoos in glass bottles.  Prell used to advertise that one of the advantages of Prell was their plastic tube which could not shatter in the shower.

Clean & Clear shampoo & conditioner unfortunately disappeared after the "clear" craze ended (remember Pepsi Clear?) I loved that stuff (the shampoo, not the Pepsi).

I also miss Rose Milk hand lotion, Rave Hair Masque conditioner, and ditto on the original Herbal Essence scent - my mom used to have bath splash (or whatever the hell you call it - like a light cologne) with the Herbal Essence scent.

Just now, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Clean & Clear shampoo & conditioner unfortunately disappeared after the "clear" craze ended (remember Pepsi Clear?) I loved that stuff (the shampoo, not the Pepsi).

I also miss Rose Milk hand lotion, Rave Hair Masque conditioner, and ditto on the original Herbal Essence scent - my mom used to have bath splash (or whatever the hell you call it - like a light cologne) with the Herbal Essence scent.

Is it bad that I remember that Rose Milk lotion was advertised on The Lawrence Welk Show?

Lawrence Welk!!!!!  (I automatically have a fondness for you that you referenced Lawrence Welk - not that I love the show but that it reminds me of weekends growing up.  It, Hee Haw and The Wonderful World of Disney)

8 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Lawrence Welk!!!!!  (I automatically have a fondness for you that you referenced Lawrence Welk - not that I love the show but that it reminds me of weekends growing up.  It, Hee Haw and The Wonderful World of Disney)

Haha. My dad still watches it!  They used to advertise Serutan, which, of course, is Natures backwards. They also frequently had ads for Geritol so every week my dad would say: it's time for ole Lotireg.  Then he would complain bitterly about that male dancer (his name escapes me, as most do)'s stiff hands!  Oh, good times. 

(Also, one of the worst days of my life was the day I realized Charlie mascara was no more. I've never really recovered.)

Male Dancer - Bobby?  Can't remember the last name.  But Bobby and Cissy I believe.  he was a mousketeer.  

Maybelline Sky High Curves. Nothing worked better for my lashes, sad it was discontinued.

I know it's still available, but Noxema reminds me of my teen in the 90s years.

I also remember dying my hair with Glints. It didn't really show up in my dark hair, but I thought I looked awesome, lol.

Just now, clueliss said:

Male Dancer - Bobby?  Can't remember the last name.  But Bobby and Cissy I believe.  he was a mousketeer.  

Yes!!!!  Bobby of Bobby and Cissy!!!  Did you ever notice his hands?  Otherwise, they were awesome. The 'girls' were so pretty and such talented singers. Oh, man. Memories. 

Bonne Bell is going out of business? No. :( There used to be a satirical website that claimed that Bonne Bell was "addictive". Not sure if it is still around. It was a hoot. I loved Bonne Bell. At my fundie private school it was one of the only "makeups" I could get away with wearing. :D

47 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Bobby Burgess.  I can't remember Cissy's last name.  

ETA:  Bobby always struck me as possibly gay. 

Someone mentioned Ten-O-Six and I think that was a Bonne Bell product. Bonne Bell going away makes many of us sad.  It's like a part of our teenage years has died.

8 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Bobby Burgess.  I can't remember Cissy's last name.  

ETA:  Bobby always struck me as possibly gay. 

Someone mentioned Ten-O-Six and I think that was a Bonne Bell product. Bonne Bell going away makes many of us sad.  It's like a part of our teenage years has died.

Bobby Burgess!  Thanks, @PennySycamore, now I don't have to look that up!  

Wow, what a walk down memory lane. Love's baby soft and Avon's sweet honesty were my first fragrances and I loved how mild they were. There was also an apple blossom which I think was from Avon and smelled wonderful. Yes to the original Clairol herbal essence shampoo. I also loved the scent of the original head & shoulders shampoo for some inexplicable reason.

Archived