Lori Alexander - Still Not Learning A Thing, Part 5

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*snort* 

Reader:

Jesus smote my heart hard 

And then there's this one:

How I despise the cheerleaders in the NFL.

She despises them for Jesus of course!

25 minutes ago, Koala said:

*snort* 

Reader:

And then there's this one:

She despises them for Jesus of course!

I guess she longs for the good old days.....

Cheerleaders1950_1951.jpg

45 minutes ago, salex said:

Is that Lori? Second from the left? She was a cheerleader....

I've said it before and I'll say it again:. People like Lorken and the Pearls have such a simple-minded us-versus-them attitude about children. They're waging war where a war doesn't exist. 

In my opinion, anyone who thinks it's necessary to "conquer" a kid has something wrong with him/her.  I knew I was bigger and stronger than my child, and had responsibilities toward her that she certainly didn't have towards me. I was in charge and had experience regarding appropriate stages of childhood behavior. I knew that I could not expect a one-year-old to behave like a three-year-old.  As my mother said, "It's only a problem if you can reasonably expect the kid to still be [doing whatever] as a teenager."

In my experience, the parents whose kids rebelled were those who were tyrants when the kids were little. They somehow ran out of steam when the kids hit their teens and needed more attention and guidance.

On 2/13/2016 at 11:33 PM, Curious said:

When I was hallucinating (due to one of the meds I was on), I thought the staff was trying to kill me (and that they were talking to me through the tv and could hear me if I talked back to them to the tv.  I actually called the police one night after my husband left for the night...It's pretty funny now, but at the time I was REALLY distressed). 

My SIL did this after back surgery when she was out of it on pain meds.  She actually called 911 to report that she'd been kidnapped and was being held against her will.  (The police got in touch with the hospital and didn't come but the nurses asked my brother to stay with her until she was off the heavy duty stuff.)  I'm sure it must have been very scary at the time for her, although she has no memory of it now, but I'll admit it's one of our favorite family stories.  :pb_lol:

14 hours ago, salex said:

This looks pretty much like our fundy cheerleader uniforms. Depressing.

Today's post is poorly written. Even aside from the content, it is disorganized and repetitive. This isn't even up to her usual standard. I've been grading my first-year college students' papers, and they are far better organized than Lori's post.

ETA: Never mind. Lori didn't write this one.

15 hours ago, salex said:

Years ago, I came across a book published in the 1940s called "The Christian Home."  The author, the father of four daughters, recounted how one of his girls wanted to go out for cheerleading, but he resisted because the squad sometimes--*gasp*--wore pants!(I believe they eventually compromised, and she could cheer on the days they wore skirts).

Other things I remember from this book:

One of his young daughters being especially disobedient, requiring him to spank her several times, resulting in faint bruising to her backside. He felt guilty for about two seconds before he remembered the Bible says "by His stripes we are healed." 

He tells a story of a young woman of about 20 who mouths off to her mother on her wedding day, so Mom promptly puts her over her knee--gown and all--and spanks her. "You may be old enough to get married, but you're not old enough to talk to me like that."

(I don't remember the author's name, but he's written a lot of stuff for Sword of the Lord that I saw at an IFB church in my area).

4 minutes ago, smittykins said:

He tells a story of a young woman of about 20 who mouths off to her mother on her wedding day, so Mom promptly puts her over her knee--gown and all--and spanks her. "You may be old enough to get married, but you're not old enough to talk to me like that."

That is disturbing on so many levels, that is not spanking, that's assault!

2 hours ago, molecule said:

Today's post is poorly written. Even aside from the content, it is disorganized and repetitive. This isn't even up to her usual standard. I've been grading my first-year college students' papers, and they are far better organized than Lori's post.

It reads like a weirdly written poem.

3 hours ago, molecule said:

Maybe it's just me, but I wish she'd put this info on the TOP of the post, rather than at the bottom, or hiding it in the middle of the post.  I get confused when the writer refers to something personal that we know doesn't mesh with Lori's life, only to discover it's Ken or some guest poster.

59 minutes ago, gWife said:

Maybe it's just me, but I wish she'd put this info on the TOP of the post, rather than at the bottom, or hiding it in the middle of the post.  I get confused when the writer refers to something personal that we know doesn't mesh with Lori's life, only to discover it's Ken or some guest poster.

I think she wants it that way. She hopes her readers will overlook what little credit she gives and attribute all these pearls of wisdom to her.

I think the right way to do it would be to put "Guest Post by...." in big red letters before the main title.  She's using others' work and she needs to give them proper and first credit.  But this is common courtesy we're talking about and Lori has boasted about her lack of that trait so.....

But nowhere is the word plagiarism mentioned in the Bible (I think) so it's all good. 

Jenny Williams, the author of today's post, has 2 blogs plus FB pages. She is a divorced, single-mother, with a ministry and a job. Does not homeschool. She tells her story here: http://ruthwaits4boaz.blogspot.com/2015/06/her-story.html

I am an overcomer from:

Domestic violence: Being beaten, choked, thrown against walls, objects thrown at me, battling over a loaded gun, and threatened with my life...BUT GOD!

Verbal and mental abuse: Being told no man would ever love me, that I'm a not a good person, and many awful words that were far worse than the physical blows...BUT GOD! 

Control and manipulation: I wasn't allowed to have friends or communicate with my mother. I was held captive and not allowed to be myself or have any freedom. I was controlled in what I wore, not allowed to have access to money, not allowed to have friends without being punished...BUT GOD. 

Sexual Abuse: Forced to do things against my will...and so much more...BUT GOD.

Abandonment: Grew up with a Daddy that ignored me and didn't participate in my life. A husband of nearly 13 years who left me because he couldn't handle me being sick with a chronic pain condition. Opening up my heart again to a guy who I loved more than any man I ever loved, and then left me for another woman. I suffered rejection that nearly took my life...BUT GOD. 

Lori would tell Jenny it was her own fault for not being completely submissive. I'm not snarking on Jenny, sounds like she has been through the wringer and is trying to reach other women in similar situations, unlike Lori who treats hurting women with blame and condemnation

I'm surprised Lori would even quote a woman for whom she has no respect or sympathy.  Had Jenny written to Lori with her story, Lori would have told her to stop provoking her husband, pray more, submit more and stop using the word "abuse" when it's not really happening.  I haven't checked out Jenny's writings yet, but she seems too good for a blog like Lori's and I'd think she'd been insulted to be associated with it. 

5 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I'm surprised Lori would even quote a woman for whom she has no respect or sympathy.  Had Jenny written to Lori with her story, Lori would have told her to stop provoking her husband, pray more, submit more and stop using the word "abuse" when it's not really happening.  I haven't checked out Jenny's writings yet, but she seems too good for a blog like Lori's and I'd think she'd been insulted to be associated with it. 

Assuming Lori really got her permission before posting it. I have my doubts.

From today's post:

Sunny was a foolish woman who married a wicked man. He even tried to kill her with a butcher knife when she was pregnant. She was plotting how to kill her husband when Debi found her in a "huddled, sodden mass of tears and exhaustion." Debi gave her the option of leaving him or trying to win him with a word. 

Except, who is Debi to be giving this woman "options"? 

Now watch how fast she elevates Debi to a God-like status:

Who are we to disagree with Debi and argue against the Lord's ways? 

See how she lumps them together?  To disagree with Debi is to argue against "the Lord's ways".

This is very similar to a comment Lori made during the early years of the blog.  It was one of the first times she had been called on something and she said something about how she couldn't believe another Christian would question her.  It also goes along with her habit of citing a scripture, and then coming up with several accompanying rules that she wants her readers to follow (she the discretion post).

1 hour ago, Koala said:

Debi gave her the option of leaving him or trying to win him with a word. 

That is a typo on Lori's part right? Shouldn't that be reading "without a word"?

31 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

That is a typo on Lori's part right? Shouldn't that be reading "without a word"?

Yeah, probably a typo.  Although according to Ken, "without a word" doesn't mean "without a word".  So...:pb_confused: The meaning of a word depends on what Lori and Ken want it to mean that day.

On 2/14/2016 at 9:05 PM, Evangeline said:

Despair? Shit. I'm screwed.

Obstinance  too.  Damn, I always knew my stubbornness would get me in trouble, and now I see it's an unforgivable sin!!!

1 hour ago, OnceUponATime said:

Lori might have meant "winning your husband with a soft word", referencing the "A soft word (some translations say answer) turns away wrath" quote from Proverbs.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived