IGNORED

Lori Alexander - Still Not Learning A Thing, Part 5

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

The farther away the people of a nation stray from God's Word, the bigger and more powerful a government becomes and begins taking away freedoms from its people.

Fundies go on about this all the time.  Exactly what "freedoms" has the big evil government taken away from them?  The freedom to discriminate against people who hold different views from you has never been enshrined in the Constitution. 

25 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I remember it in "Tangled" (which is the story of Rapunzel :) )

Sorry I didn't remember that the US title was different. 

God gave us a powerful immune system to fight most disease if we eat right and take good care of our bodies.

I guess the reason why people used to die of diseases we now immunize against is because they weren't eating correctly :bangheaddesk:

Just now, docmom said:

Fundies go on about this all the time.  Exactly what "freedoms" has the big evil government taken away from them?  The freedom to discriminate against people who hold different views from you has never been enshrined in the Constitution. 

I don't know. I have never understood the US "religious right". There is some real weird governmental paranoia in there that I can't make sense of.

Yesterday's post was about hitting women (they probably started it so they deserve it). Today's post is about hitting kids (they disobeyed so they deserve it). Basically, it's OK to hit anyone in the family except the dad.

We've seen many pictures of Lori's kids. They are attractive. But their eyes are so sad and weary, except Alyssa's. She is the only one who seems happy and alive. Cassi, Ryan and Steven look defeated. Their smiles just don't reach their eyes.

I think Alyssa was the only one with the opportunity and strength of character to break away. She was homeschooled in high school, which I think means she was able to practice dancing all the time. This made her good enough to win a spot in a Christian dance troupe. AT 18, she left home, moved to Mississippi, got an apartment (the dance company doesn't have dorms), and traveled with the company. I imagine it was very difficult to get permission from Lori and Ken to do this. (During her years as an apprentice, she would not have been paid, so she'd need their support. After a few years, the company promoted her to a paying dance position.) Lori mentions having had a conflict with one of her kids about a major life decision, but that she ultimately submitted to Ken. I can see Ken allowing Alyssa to go.

She actually sounds like quite a girl. You rarely see any mention of Jesus on her facebook, btw, though there is a bit on her pintrest. She or her husband apparently have trouble with infertility. I'm sorry for her. But I also wonder. . . if I were Lori's daughter and DIDN"T want kids, I'd probably tell my mom I COULDN'T have them. It would be the easiest way of keeping the peace. My husband is infertile, so I would never make light of her pain, I am just wondering if perhaps that is a possibility.

14 minutes ago, Hisey said:

if I were Lori's daughter and DIDN"T want kids, I'd probably tell my mom I COULDN'T have them. It would be the easiest way of keeping the peace.

This probably makes me a bitch, but if I had a mom like Lori I would tell her I didn't want kids just to spite her (no matter what the true circumstances were). :evil-laugh:

Lori is a mean woman, and I absolutely hate the thought of her family tiptoeing around her.

9 minutes ago, Koala said:

This probably makes me a bitch, but if I had a mom like Lori I would tell her I didn't want kids just to spite her (no matter what the true circumstances were). :evil-laugh:

Lori is a mean woman, and I absolutely hate the thought of her family tiptoeing around her.

Me too. If I had enough anger and resentment stored up, I might not even have kids for a while, just to spite her.

Reader:

Oh, blast. It seems my message didn't get through. Here, I'll try again. How does a one year baby disobey, Lori? What sort of orders does one expect them to obey? 

Explain this to me.

Lori:

Not putting their fingers into light sockets. Not climbing stairs. Not playing in or near toilets. Not biting or pulling hair. Not having a temper tantrum when their diaper is being changed. Not chewing on the furniture to name a few. 

Babies are very smart and can manipulate their parents if their parents let them. The sooner parents show them that they must obey them, the better for for both of them.

Reader:

Some of my children have arched their back and screamed when I've tried to put them down for a nap. Their eyes may of been red, and they were struggling to stay awake, but didn't want to be put in their cot. And after checking for signs of pain etc I've established they were fine and I gave them a quick smack and said calmly, 'time for bed'. Or a child who defiantly knocks their food out of your hand cause they don't want it and don't want to try it, or screaming because they want a candy and you said no. 

Crying out of hunger, over tiredness,fear, pain etc needs to be lovingly addressed. Up until the age of one, most of your interaction with your child should be lots of praise, affection and quality time. But when moments of defiance arise, it needs to be immediately met with a smack, a calm and firm word and then lots of cuddles and kisses when the child shows a change of heart and willingness to obey. I wouldn't smack a child younger than 5 or 6 months, and then I watch carefully for the child's motive and ability to understand.

My babies couldn't even sit up at 5 months, much less "disobey".  What the fuck is wrong with these people???  Omg, I just can't....monsters...they're monsters.

On 2/8/2016 at 5:57 PM, Koala said:

Reader:

Vomit. 

A friend of mine was in an abusive relationship (well, frankly, all of her relationships have been abusive except the last one which was barely a relationship at all...) and explained to me once that it was really her fault because "if I would be better, he wouldn't get angry in the first place; he even says that himself". Because that is one of the games abusers play--convincing the victims they are the problem. 

I just finished reading the comments on her blog today and they are just sickening. Why the heck would you SMACK A BABY for not napping?!?!?! And have they never heard of baby proofing? These people are just monsters. 

25 minutes ago, Koala said:

In other news, Ken has a Facebook page. :kitty-shifty:

....and....can you share with the class? or give a clue?

Someone's calling Lori on her "babies are manipulative geniuses" bullshit.  She says:

Light socket covers. Baby gates (DIY works). Close the bathroom doors. Redirection works for me. I rarely have temper tantrums during changes - I also smile and attract their attention to dangling shinies above the tables, that helps. Why not get them a baby chew toy because clearly they are teething? 

What developmental theory did you glean that from? Kindly cite your source, I'd be interesting in reading it. I've never heard that before and I've studied many varying theories of how infants and children develop.

Lori replies:

I wanted my babies and so did the Pearls to quickly learn what "no" meant and to obey the rules we lay down in our home. In this way, you don't have to worry if you go to someone else's home whose light sockets aren't covered. They will know they aren't supposed to touch them. If someone forgets to put the baby gate up {which is very inconvenient for all}, the baby could easily go up when no one was looking. If there are other children in the home, the bathroom door could easily be left open. This is protection for them and makes child raising so much easier. 

I learned from raising 4 children and the Pearls learned from raising 5 children. We don't need some strangers "developmental theory!"

Yeah, Lori doesn't need any stupid studies!  She did what was easy for her, and if that meant beating her babies so she didn't have to watch them, then so be it.

You know I wondered who was watching her grandbabies in the park when she was begging a complete stranger to talk to her about spanking.  I guess with this logic they can watch themselves.  

Evil...just pure evil.

1 hour ago, lynn0810 said:

And have they never heard of baby proofing? These people are just monsters. 

Of course they've heard of it, they just don't think it's necessary. You're supposed to house-proof the baby, not baby-proof the house. :kitty-cussing:

(And "child training" sounds like you're housebreaking a dog.)

4 hours ago, Koala said:

Someone's calling Lori on her "babies are manipulative geniuses" bullshit.  She says:

Lori replies:

Yeah, Lori doesn't need any stupid studies!  She did what was easy for her, and if that meant beating her babies so she didn't have to watch them, then so be it.

You know I wondered who was watching her grandbabies in the park when she was begging a complete stranger to talk to her about spanking.  I guess with this logic they can watch themselves.  

Evil...just pure evil.

What? Is she serious? She told her babies "no" when they tried to touch an electric socket, and from then on she could trust them with electric sockets? Really? A baby can remember a "no" from a couple of months earlier? 

How did that play out at playdates?

Mom: Lori, watch out, baby Ryan is crawling towards the electric socket.

Lori: Don't worry. Two months ago, when he was six months old, I told him not to touch them. He's good.

12 hours ago, Koala said:

My babies couldn't even sit up at 5 months, much less "disobey".

Clearly the only reason you think that is because your babies were already expert manipulators. They were in fact so good at manipulating you that they had manipulated you into believing that they weren't capable of doing so.  <sarcasm alert>.

To read the people's comments it sounds like the parents were taking their babies along to them on visits, putting them on the floor with nothing to do and then the babies would want to wander off to wreak havoc. 

6 hours ago, Hisey said:

How did that play out at playdates?

Mom: Lori, watch out, baby Ryan is crawling towards the electric socket.

Lori: Don't worry. Two months ago, when he was six months old, I told him not to touch them. He's good.

or Lori: Don't worry, he's just trying to manipulate me into getting attention. If we ignore him he won't touch it because I have trained him better than that. We're still working on the 'pretending to do dangerous things for attention' side of things.

Does anybody remember the original post well enough to know if Lori changed the last sentence?

***On another note, here is the schedule the CDC has for vaccinating your children. Please be very wise when it comes to putting this many vaccinations into your child's body!

Because a reader has asked her about it and the Bible reference is not there anymore:

Guest · 10 hours ago

My children are not vaccinated at all, on the advice of a neurologist (I have an inherited neurological disorder). But your last sentence has me a little confused. Is there something in the Bible about vaccinating children or against medicine? I have not read anything to that effect ... what have I missed? Thanks :)

I'm sure as soon as Lori read that comment, she edited out any reference to the Bible. Now she can say "Nuh-uh, I never said anything about the Bible and vaccines..."

It does seem like I remember that Lori had ended that final note with her standard "...since the Bible is against this," but maybe I just imagined that because that's Lori's go-to line.  I DO think that Lori added the vaccine schedule to take away some of the backlash of her spanking post.  I think she thought if she distracted her readers with that at the end, she wouldn't have to field so many comments about spanking.  I'm sure she spent all day deleting comments anyway; surely there were more than 25 responses to that post.

Oh, and I love how The Joy Filled Wife had to chime in and say "My unvaccinated kids are healthier than ALL THE CHILDREN ALL OVER THE WORLD IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER!!" What is it with these fundies and their overly definitive pronouncements about their greatness?  A simple "We don't vaccinate and my kids are healthy," would have worked for a normal and humble person but NO. I think, in the Joy Filled Wife, we have found the female Cabinet Man.  She's Cabinet Mom. 

Tell you what Lori, how about every time you do something I disagree with I give you a swat or hit you with leather strap to train you, oh that's right, you'd call the police and get me done with assault so WHY THE EVER LOVING FUCK do you think it is in anyway acceptable to do this to a small defenceless baby hmmm?

These people are not human, reading her posts makes my skin crawl and breaks my heart for all the poor little kids who are subjected to abuse because the godly mentor said so.

23 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

My children are not vaccinated at all, on the advice of a neurologist (I have an inherited neurological disorder).

In my humble (and fairly expert) opinion, her neurologist is an idiot

43 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Does anybody remember the original post well enough to know if Lori changed the last sentence?

Because a reader has asked her about it and the Bible reference is not there anymore:

I'm sure as soon as Lori read that comment, she edited out any reference to the Bible. Now she can say "Nuh-uh, I never said anything about the Bible and vaccines..."

It does seem like I remember that Lori had ended that final note with her standard "...since the Bible is against this," but maybe I just imagined that because that's Lori's go-to line.  I DO think that Lori added the vaccine schedule to take away some of the backlash of her spanking post.  I think she thought if she distracted her readers with that at the end, she wouldn't have to field so many comments about spanking.  I'm sure she spent all day deleting comments anyway; surely there were more than 25 responses to that post.

Oh, and I love how The Joy Filled Wife had to chime in and say "My unvaccinated kids are healthier than ALL THE CHILDREN ALL OVER THE WORLD IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER!!" What is it with these fundies and their overly definitive pronouncements about their greatness?  A simple "We don't vaccinate and my kids are healthy," would have worked for a normal and humble person but NO. I think, in the Joy Filled Wife, we have found the female Cabinet Man.  She's Cabinet Mom. 

I think that question is in reference to Lori's comment right above the guest's comment. Lori says: "Dr. Mendelsohn, a pediatrician for over 30 years said this in his great book, "There is a growing suspicion that immunization against relatively harmless childhood diseases may be responsible for the dramatic increase in autoimmune diseases since mass inoculations were introduced. These are fearful diseases such as cancer, leukemia, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease, lupus erythematosus, and the Guillain-Bare syndrome...Have we traded mumps and measles for cancer and leukemia?" 

Concerning the Pearls, agreed! Why would we think the "doctors" of our age would be wiser than the Word of God? Never!"

:my_dodgy:

Ken and Lori (and their ilk) have such a gleeful attitude about spanking.  They talk about each incident as if it was a victory for them. They don't just say "spanking in moderation worked for us," but they hammer it home as if it's the one and only way to deal with children and it's the one and only way to guarantee salvation for the whole family.  I could understand if they did numerous posts of basic discipline of children and the need to shape them into respectful members of society. But it is spanking...spanking ONLY...that makes a child Godly, in their minds. I just don't get their desire to not only force parents into such cruel forms of discipline but also to be so boastful about their love of spanking. I cannot even address their using a leather strap on an infant as they change their diapers. These people seem to search the Bible for "permission" to be cruel and they apparently like to err on the side of cruelty where most parents really strive to err on the side of gentleness and mercy. 

Also, hasn't Ken mentioned that they really only follow the New Testament? The scripture they use for spanking is from the Old Testament.  They cling to that scripture like they cling to the verses in Titus.  I have to wonder if their Bible is very tiny and contains only two passages.

I've heard some theologians (who search for the gentleness instead of the cruelty) suggest that the "rod" is an illustration of the rod (or staff) a shepherd uses. He does not use that to beat the sheep, but to guide them and pull them back onto the right path - thus teaching them discipline and the need to follow the one who is responsible for keeping them safe.  But, that way takes a little more time and patience, whereas a leather strap on a tiny bare thigh requires no patience.  It's over quickly so that parents like Lori can get back to their quiet time. 

Lori:

When the Bible commands older women to teach younger women, one of the components is to teach them to be keepers at home. This doesn't mean they spend their time at home lounging around watching soap operas, reading romantic novels or spending a lot of time on the Internet or smart phone. It means taking good care of the home the Lord has blessed you with.

If you agree you can:

~Friend Lori on Facebook on her personal account, her Not So Private Chat Room, OR the Always Learning Facebook page.

~Follow Lori on Pinterest

~Check out Lori's photos on Instagram

~Send her a tweet on Twitter

~Read her blog

~Look at the countless comments she leaves on other blogs

~Volunteer to help her delete comments

Just make sure you aren't spending too much time on the Internet.  :pb_rollseyes:

14 hours ago, lynn0810 said:

I just finished reading the comments on her blog today and they are just sickening. Why the heck would you SMACK A BABY for not napping?!?!?! And have they never heard of baby proofing? These people are just monsters. 

My kids were all complete butts about naptime. One time, I put the two olders down for a nap upstairs and went downstairs with the littlest to get some rest time of our own. My older ones were terribly quiet, which should have given me pause, but I decided that they must have just been really tired. So imagine the feelings that assaulted me when I went upstairs to get them and found their entire bedroom dismantled (beds and all). I still didn't hit them. I just sighed, took a picture, and had them help me put stuff back together. lol.

And I think I just realized what may be to blame for at least some of Lori's issues: She has absolutely no sense of humor. Her poor kids.

13 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I think that question is in reference to Lori's comment right above the guest's comment. Lori says: "Dr. Mendelsohn, a pediatrician for over 30 years said this in his great book, "There is a growing suspicion that immunization against relatively harmless childhood diseases may be responsible for the dramatic increase in autoimmune diseases since mass inoculations were introduced. These are fearful diseases such as cancer, leukemia, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease, lupus erythematosus, and the Guillain-Bare syndrome...Have we traded mumps and measles for cancer and leukemia?" 

Concerning the Pearls, agreed! Why would we think the "doctors" of our age would be wiser than the Word of God? Never!"

Lori should have used the Bible to cure her brain tumor. 

I'd have volunteered to give her a couple whacks over the head with it. 

21 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks.  I like to think I have fairly good reading comprehension skills but something about Lori's blog sets me back a little. I read something, feel my brain bend and then have to do some mental exercises to get my brain back in order so I can continue reading.  When Ken writes, I don't even try...I usually just take to my bed with a cold cloth over my eyes. :tw_confounded:

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived