IGNORED

Lori Alexander - Still Not Learning A Thing, Part 5

and lori is talking about winning the world for Christ one baby at a time. (ps: it goes faster if you have multiples!)

I have always wondered if there were some christians out there who believe having children is their way of converting people but never have I ever heard/seen it said so blatantly as today. I always thought it was just something outsiders snarked on, not something they believed!

That blog post actually makes me feel really sad for Lori. I mean how depressing must it be to feel like you can only fulfill the great commission by having babies and training them to be godly. :5624796da4712_DenilejustisntariverinAfricasad:

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

and lori is talking about winning the world for Christ one baby at a time. (ps: it goes faster if you have multiples!)

I have always wondered if there were some christians out there who believe having children is their way of converting people but never have I ever heard/seen it said so blatantly as today. I always thought it was just something outsiders snarked on, not something they believed!

That blog post actually makes me feel really sad for Lori. I mean how depressing must it be to feel like you can only fulfill the great commission by having babies and training them to be godly. :5624796da4712_DenilejustisntariverinAfricasad:

Tim Bayly. 

I heard him say (with my own ears) that more Christians have been made in families (over the centuries), than by evangelizing. Not his exact words (it's been a few years, and my brain is very fuzzy today), but that is what he said.

I brought my concerns to our then-pastor, who hemmed and hawed, and explained in the best DW obfuscating fashion -- you know, that "the exact words you wrote down in taking notes were not what he really said but really meant something that sounds different but really means the exact same thing" fashion.

56 minutes ago, refugee said:

I brought my concerns to our then-pastor, who hemmed and hawed, and explained in the best DW obfuscating fashion -- you know, that "the exact words you wrote down in taking notes were not what he really said but really meant something that sounds different but really means the exact same thing" fashion.

That's masterful.

Lori's son Steven (the orthodontist) and his wife Emily (the former law student-turned-caligrapher) are expecting a baby girl, due in August. She posted an announcement on her facebook page.

8 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Lori's son Steven (the orthodontist) and his wife Emily (the former law student-turned-caligrapher) are expecting a baby girl, due in August. She posted an announcement on her facebook page.

I still don't understand who employs calligraphers in this day and age. I even looked it up.

7 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

It's cute that you can still feel sorry sad for Lori.  Give it a few more months of following her. ;)

(Please note the patronizing tone is totally a joke, and I hope it wasn't offensive!)

I still don't understand who employs calligraphers in this day and age. I even looked it up.

A huge pile of people, actually. You can make a fair amount of money doing it if you're good and the orders are sizeable. It's about $3-$4 per envelope where I am for a good calligrapher.

8 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

A huge pile of people, actually. You can make a fair amount of money doing it if you're good and the orders are sizeable. It's about $3-$4 per envelope where I am for a good calligrapher.

for sure. i saw a bunch of wedding blogs that recommended using a calligrapher for the more "handmade" approach to your perfect DIY wedding.

9 hours ago, Hisey said:

Hopefully they live far enough away that Lori doesn't have a new target for her spanking, pinching, flicking obsession. 

That's going to be a pretty baby, tho.

10 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

for sure. i saw a bunch of wedding blogs that recommended using a calligrapher for the more "handmade" approach to your perfect DIY wedding.

I remember the wedding magazines and planning books recommending paying for a calligrapher to address your invitations. All part of how the "average cost" of a wedding has been driven up so high. 

Although, the most ridiculous thing I saw on a magazine checklist of wedding tasks when I planned mine was decorating the bathrooms at the reception venue to match your colors and theme. 

Yeah...we addressed envelopes ourselves. My mother and I wrote them and a friend stuffed them. Everyone seemed to get their invite, so it was fine. And decorating a bathroom was never on my agenda--what a waste of money! 

Somehow, we are still married in spite of those oversights. 

7 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I remember the wedding magazines and planning books recommending paying for a calligrapher to address your invitations. All part of how the "average cost" of a wedding has been driven up so high. 

Although, the most ridiculous thing I saw on a magazine checklist of wedding tasks when I planned mine was decorating the bathrooms at the reception venue to match your colors and theme. 

Yeah...we addressed envelopes ourselves. My mother and I wrote them and a friend stuffed them. Everyone seemed to get their invite, so it was fine. And decorating a bathroom was never on my agenda--what a waste of money! 

Somehow, we are still married in spite of those oversights. 

my wedding was so hillbilly and last minute we just asked everyone in person :dance:

but i do remember when my friend got married she said "i hope you don't mind that we addressed the envelopes ourselves. it saved us so much money!" i think she was embarrassed that she had to scrimp and save to fit the budget her parents gave her that she couldn't even have *gasp* calligraphied envelopes. the wedding industry is doing its job i guess.

29 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

my wedding was so hillbilly and last minute we just asked everyone in person :dance:

but i do remember when my friend got married she said "i hope you don't mind that we addressed the envelopes ourselves. it saved us so much money!" i think she was embarrassed that she had to scrimp and save to fit the budget her parents gave her that she couldn't even have *gasp* calligraphied envelopes. the wedding industry is doing its job i guess.

My dad insisted on paying for everything (we never asked him to, but in the end, it was good that he wanted to as financial disaster hit us shortly before) and would have paid for calligraphers and bathroom decorations and basically anything I wanted. But I just thought it was a waste of money. No one even pays that much attention to the envelope. We spent not quite $5000 on the whole thing and that was a pretty formal wedding with about 125 people for dinner and a dance at a country club. You don't have to break the bank. 

And if I was ever at a wedding that had decorations in the bathroom, my only thought would be that the couple really liked to throw away their money. 

I'd honestly rather see a handwritten envelope - it makes me feel like the couple put some of their own time into it.  Or had the friend with good handwriting (that was me, several times) do the envelopes.

58 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Yeah...we addressed envelopes ourselves. My mother and I wrote them and a friend stuffed them.

If I was ever going to get married I'd probably do all my addresses with some damn ugly clipart and use comic sans (to piss everyone off) and print them on address label sheets. Yeah I don't think I'm going to get married any time soon.

I know people who have had the wedding party come together to address and stuff the invitations. I thought that was a great idea.

We get baby cards with handwritten addresses and I always wonder how much time went into them. For my part people don't need to do that. I guess at least they can write them before the baby is born (or during labor to keep the husband occupied)

People just throw the envelope away, anyhow. Why spend money there? Spend it on making your guest have a good time (high quality food, good music, etc).

I remember Meredith Alexander Hammer spent $1000 or so on the invitations to her wedding, and I thought that was a giant waste of money, she later had to scrimp elsewhere (like her thrift-store wedding dress). She was a bit impressed with her own wedding.

On another note, I enjoyed this latest comment on Lori's post on Thursday, by Darren.

What about STAY HOME DAD!?!?!?! What about in another topic you did for wife, instead married to mean woman. I see when some women abuse their power of freedom on their husbands who treated them nice and love as husbands get beaten down by verbally, mentally, and psychically. Can you write topic on that please?

Here's my response, which I did not actually send:

Thank you, Darren! You raise some important points, which I hope Lori will address. I think the issue of men being beaten down psychically is a huge issue which is rarely mentioned.

Secondly, I hate it when women abuse their power of freedom on their husband. Don't we all?  

Finally, women are so concerned about being "happy," and paying attention to their "feelings," that they ignore another issue:  WHAT ABOUT STAY-AT-HOME DAD?

Lori has written about stay at home dads. It was a few years ago and she referenced a Mark Driscoll sermon and basically said that men should be out working and providing for their families. Darren raises good points about abusive wives and mentions physical abuse. I don't ever see Lori writing posts on physically abusive wives.

On the topic of calligraphers, my aunt does calligraphy for a few weddings per year. She is a retired school teacher and back when she was working she enjoyed having her summer clients to keep busy.

Lori is having more grandkids. Steven and Emily are the furthest away from Loriken, hopefully they will dump some of the beliefs Loriken have. Then again, Emily may be from a family that believes in spanking.

32 minutes ago, lilwriter85 said:

I don't ever see Lori writing posts on physically abusive wives.

of course not, they can't exist because all godly women are submissive doormats.

EtA - she probably also believes that men are always stronger than women and therefore call any physically abuse on themselves by not overpowering their wives and forcing them to submit. I wouldn't put that sort of 'logic' past her

2 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

Lori has written about stay at home dads. It was a few years ago and she referenced a Mark Driscoll sermon and basically said that men should be out working and providing for their families.

Never mind stay at home dads--Lori doesn't want dads home at all except for dinner and lube. Fairly recently someone wrote in to say that she and her husband both worked part time and shared childcare. They were both happy, loved their jobs and their homelife, and the husband appreciated being more connected to his kids.

Lori said basically--Too bad you're content. God doesn't approve of you. And anyway, happiness is overrated.

4 hours ago, desertvixen said:

I'd honestly rather see a handwritten envelope - it makes me feel like the couple put some of their own time into it.  Or had the friend with good handwriting (that was me, several times) do the envelopes.

My daughter and I made a day out of addressing her invitations. I did buy a couple of "calligraphy tip" markers but we did all the writing ourselves.  We pulled a table in front of the TV and binge watched "The Last Ship," while we wrote. I started at the bottom of the guest list and she started at the top. When we met in the middle, we were done.  It ended up taking far less time than I expected and was a really fun couple of hours.  I really cannot imagine putting forth the expense for a calligrapher, plus my daughter and I both enjoy writing so it wasn't a stressful task for us. I would have stressed out, however, if I'd had to send a guest list to a calligrapher and keep in touch about every little detail of each address change, unique spelling, whatever.  Just seems easier all around to have done it ourselves. 

We did not decorate the ladies room, but I did put a little basket on the vanity. It contained safety pins, Tylenol, feminine hygiene products...just little things to have in case an "emergency" popped up for our guests. My daughter made a tiny little chalkboard that said "Need anything, ladies?" and propped it beside the basket so they'd know they were free to use it.  I was glad, at the end of the night, to pick up the basket and see that many of the items had been used. 

At my brother's wedding we had portable bathroom trailers (think more "sink with running water inside the single occupancy trailer" and less concert port a potty) I went into them an put some bud cases with cut jasmine from the yard and some ribbons tied on them, both to fancy up the  place and to improve the smells a bit

On 2/5/2016 at 10:17 AM, Koala said:

I have had several people tell me that my pms are off.  How do I turn them on? 

Ten minutes and some lube?

TIL: That bad wives lose babies, but if you follow "TRUTH" according to Lori, your baby will be fine. 

She enjoyed soap operas and disrespecting her husband much more until she almost lost one of her babies. She begged the Lord to save her baby and if He did, she'd spend daily time in the Word.

Also, we can apparently bargain with God. Because that totally works.

1 hour ago, polecat said:

TIL: That bad wives lose babies, but if you follow "TRUTH" according to Lori, your baby will be fine. 

God threatens to take your toys away and then counts to three to get you to straighten up. God is not a monster, God won't put you in time out without a warning. God is a cool mom

2 hours ago, polecat said:

IT sickens me that Lori used that example. Bargaining with God is horrible teaching for several reasons, in my opinion. First, we are told, in scripture, not to test (bargain with) God:

4 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted[a] by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
    and they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’[c]”

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’[d]”

Second, from a very human and emotional standpoint, it sets people up for heartbreak and resentment toward one another.  Why would God choose to save one woman's baby but not another? 

Third, it puts a relationship with God at a very childish level - I'll do this for you, if you do this for me.  Now that I think of it, Ken and Lori do love a good bargaining system for marriage, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Lori uses a "I bargained with God and won" example in her teachings.  The example would have been much more powerful if she'd told a story of a woman who pleaded with God to save her baby and yet the baby died anyway; still, the woman is a faithful follower.  It is easy to be a Christian when you believe God has given you everything you want. 

Edited to add: um...not sure what happened with the "bold" function up there. In no way did I mean for my second and third points to be so important.  It's the almost the equivalent of leaving the caps lock on, right? I promise, I'm not yelling. 

Fuck lori.  Fuck her simplistic, often if not always wrong theology and her attempts to dump guilt on people.  If God kills peoples babies to punish th for watching soap operas,there would be noticeably fewer babies in that demographic...also if God does all that to people who are off the path, then we should be asking this aging bitch why she has been plagued by health problems both before and after she allegedly became all holy and obedient. 

If God created lori to be ken'S helpmeet from the beginning of creation wtf did Ken do to deserve such punishment? 

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived