IGNORED

Online companies? (boxes or otherwise)

Maggie Mae

I order a lot from memebox, and I do ipsy. What else is out there for makeup, skin, and haircare? I LOVE skinfood products and bb creams over foundations. 

Colourpop is my personal favorite online brand right now.  All their stuff is SUPER affordable and super great.  I prefer their lip pencils to MAC, and their SuperShock Shadow is INCREDIBLE (especially if you prefer more creamy products).  

https://www.reddit.com/r/indiemakeupandmore has pretty much all you could ever want in terms of smaller (online) brands.  

Blackbird and Fyrinnae are my favorite make up indies. FemmeFatale has some AMAZING stuff as well.

Savor and FuturePrimitive are my favorite bath/hair care brands (I love FP so much I pay a king's ransom to ship that stuff from the UK). Savor's Creme Fraiche soaps double as my shampoo for my super sensitive and oily scalp.  They are LIFESAVERS.  

I wont tell you how to feel about LimeCrime, but make sure to research their controversies before deciding if that is a brand you want to do business with :)  I can provide more on that if you are interested, but as I was involved in one of the "scandals", I don't pretend to be neutral on the matter.  

If you have questions or want recs on something specific, make a thread on IMAM!  Everyone there is incredibly knowledgeable and will give you great recommendations.  

I used to have a Birchbox subscription, which I liked, and there are a few finds from there I continue to use. 

In terms of online companies -- former lovers of Prescriptives, they relaunched awhile ago as an online-only business and all the good stuff is still available. I still have never found anything better than Super Line Preventor as a miracle product, and the Comfort Cream is still great but leaves me a little greasier than I'd like.

http://honeybeegardens.com/buzz-box/  

Honeybee Gardens does a box every month.  It isn't subscription yet - but I love their lip glosses.  They are all natural and vegan and pretty much the only make-up I don't mind wearing.  For what it's worth, I wear very little makeup and very rarely.  

Wow, Lime Crime sounds really fucked up. Glad I bought expensive lipsticks from Sephora brands instead of them.

On 2/1/2016 at 10:34 AM, Georgiana said:

I wont tell you how to feel about LimeCrime, but make sure to research their controversies before deciding if that is a brand you want to do business with :)  I can provide more on that if you are interested, but as I was involved in one of the "scandals", I don't pretend to be neutral on the matter.  

I want to know all the drama! 

I did Birchbox for over a year and finally got fed up with being sent so many body lotions and lipsticks. That's all it was! Or silver eyeliner and other outrageous stuff. I haven't used so much of the stuff they sent so I finally decided to save the $10/month. 

I used to love boxycharm, but after my year ran out I forgot about it. I like the Walmart box. It's only seasonal though so I often forget about it so its a nice little surprise when it comes.

I did the birchbox for a year and actually really liked it. Most of the stuff I really didn't care for but I did find a lot of great brands and a few pieces I did like. In addition you end up with a huge perfume sample collection. What I really liked (not sure if they do it anymore) was that if you reviewed every item you got 5 dollars back on each of the boxes and then got to use it in their store ( which is pretty damn good). So you end up with a 120 dollar year subscription and 60 dollars back to buy whatever you want full size. I joined the first 5 months of Glossybox. It was great for a bit and then it wasn't. I just kept getting bvlgari soaps and lotions that made old grandma scent a joyride compared to that stinkbomb. I also paid 100 bucks for one of those surprise boxes. It was their first one, and the originally promised it would be worth over 500 dollars and ended up being around 200. Everyone was pretty damn pissed. 

It's pretty crazy now how many boxes there are. Even Walmart and Target have their own beauty boxes!

I use only Paula's Choice products for skincare, and have for years. I like that the products are suitable for sensitive skin, but also have state-of-the-art ingredients. They've bought out some terrific serums over the last couple of years, especially.

I also really enjoyed Julep.  Of course, I don't use enough makeup or nail polish to justify continuing the subscription - but I did enjoy the products.  I really like the lip gloss.  And the nail polish was nice - good colours. 

I am a Birchbox subscriber and in the interest of full disclosure also a former Birchbox employee. I love my subscription but definitely understand how people might get burned out on the samples.  I'm not always thrilled with every sample, but I've found some of my now favorite products through my subscription and prefer Bbox over Ipsy which I subscribed to for over a year.  Here's s hint if you're getting similar samples in your Birchbox-email their customer service team and they can manipulate your profile to limit the number of a specific sample type i.e.: moisturizer or hair care products.  They really are a great company in terms of customer care and were also great to work for. 

• 2 years later...

I've been looking at Deck of Scarlet. My daughter is obsessed with various palettes, and I wouldn't be sad to see some fun colors at our doorstep, either. Anyone tried it?

I've also considered boxycharm.

Archived