IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon Part 3

Boogalou

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Kjaerringa said:

They could call him Geon (John) or Geonni. It would be a horribly misspelled and terribly pronounced reminder of honeymooning in France and Italy. And then if this gig falls apart he could go on a revival of Jersey Shore ... kind of an IBLT/breaking Amish premise.

somehow reminds me of how they seemed to start calling Josiah "Si" out of nowhere. I assume the family has been calling him that for a while but they never had on the show/online and kept it formal until I think some post I saw on IG when he was courting. Caught me off guard.

I'd go with the unique name over the creative spelling, because in the case of something like Geon (John), people would both stumble and also spell it wrong. With the unique name, at least it might get spelled right. With a name like Geon (John), no one, maybe not even a parent, would spell that one right.

Why the hell do parents saddle their kids, in such a way? I know in this case, the parents have the maturation of your average 12yo, but...

If you want a unique or creatively spelled name, change your OWN name.

Steps of the box-

Part of me can't wait until they are pregnant with baby #2 and we can try to guess what the next kid will be named.

Maybe they'll just name the next one '@'.

4 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

I think "@" is a silly name, but the story behind the name is kinda sweet. It was a Chinese couple who tried to name their baby that, and they chose "@" because the way you pronounce "at" in Chinese sounds like the phrase "love him", and because they first met on the internet. I think the government told them they couldn't name their child something that wasn't Chinese characters, and I think that was the right call, but the story behind the name is sweet.

8 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Part of me can't wait until they are pregnant with baby #2 and we can try to guess what the next kid will be named.

Sardine Daniel, following the theme of fishy first name and perfectly normal middle name.

I think "@" is a silly name, but the story behind the name is kinda sweet. It was a Chinese couple who tried to name their baby that, and they chose "@" because the way you pronounce "at" in Chinese sounds like the phrase "love him", and because they first met on the internet. I think the government told them they couldn't name their child something that wasn't Chinese characters, and I think that was the right call, but the story behind the name is sweet.

I wasn't aware that anyone had tried to actually name their child by the name of @! The story sounds very cute and I didn't mean to offend, I was staring at my keyboard and thought "what could be the most outrageous name that could possibly top Spurgeon? Oh, I know! @!"

On the topic of terrible names, my niece is due in a couple weeks and gave complete control of the name to the dad. His first choice was Gannicus, but changed his mind and has settled on Leonidas Odin. I spent the day with my niece yesterday and she shared this bit of genius from the dad in regards to his name choice "With the name Leonidas Odin he will never be a doctor, he will have to be something like an ultimate fighter". I really don't know what my niece is thinking, she's his third baby momma and his other kids are named after cartoons and twilight.

16 minutes ago, ncarmen said:

On the topic of terrible names, my niece is due in a couple weeks and gave complete control of the name to the dad. His first choice was Gannicus, but changed his mind and has settled on Leonidas Odin. I spent the day with my niece yesterday and she shared this bit of genius from the dad in regards to his name choice "With the name Leonidas Odin he will never be a doctor, he will have to be something like an ultimate fighter". I really don't know what my niece is thinking, she's his third baby momma and his other kids are named after cartoons and twilight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, Leonidus isn't that bad and he can go as Leo for short..

Spurg....not so many good nicknames...

On 2/3/2016 at 10:52 AM, karen77 said:
On 2/3/2016 at 10:35 AM, ncarmen said:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm glad they are going with Leonidas over Gannicus. Gannicus is up there with Spurgeon for me in terms of "why would you do that to your child?" names [emoji23]

On 2/3/2016 at 0:00 PM, ncarmen said:

Yeah, I'm glad they are going with Leonidas over Gannicus. Gannicus is up there with Spurgeon for me in terms of "why would you do that to your child?" names emoji23.png

It's not as bad as it might seem at first. Definitely not names you hear everyday, especially together - but it could be much worse.

Like you both mentioned, Leonidas can be shortened to Leo. And both names belonged to men with some good qualities - bravery, strength, the desire to protect, and a deep thirst for knowledge. All good qualities to hope your child will have.

(Hope your niece has an easy birth!)

On 2/2/2016 at 8:52 PM, nst said:

she also seems a little calmer with him than Jill does with Izzy 

If I had been asked before either Jill or Jessa had their first baby, which one would seem to take more happily and naturally to motherhood, I would have guessed Jill.  So I am a little surprised to have my opinion change now.  And of course, this is all just that, an opinion based on limited info and a few pictures.  But really, that picture of a screaming Izzy tightly swaddled still bothers me.  It's the combination of swaddling that poor little boy so tightly (what the hell?), and then taking a picture of him while he's so clearly upset, AND then posting it!  Something about that whole situation really shot up a big red flag.

If Jessa follows suit and later starts posting pictures of a screaming Spurgeon, I'll have to revise my opinion.

Well, I do remember Barack Obama joking (I think right around his inauguration) that when he was named Barack Hussein Obama, his parents weren't thinking that he'd ever become president.  I think he went by Barry as a young person, and then grew into his name as he got older. 

Leonidas - Leo or maybe Leon for short?

Yikes! Hopefully she doesn't regret that choice. 

I was actually thinking another boy might be named Washer since Bin has a few quotes from Paul Washer on his instagram.  Or maybe Huckabee.  No idea what they'd name a girl though.  

Huckabee. Huck for short. Of course, he'd never be allowes to read Mark Twain. Tom Sawyer lied, ran away from home and had a girlfriend. Nike.

I know you all are having fun snarking, I'm not trying to derail that, but baby names are actually a big interest of mine! And I actually have thought about what "sibling" names might come next from Mr. and Mrs. Seewald.

It's hard to guess girl names because with one male baby there isn't much of a pattern yet. And obviously, people can change their minds about names or not really care if names "sound good" with each other. 

I think Ben and Jess will probably choose an "old" and "unique" name for a second boy that's actually fairly recognizable. This might help Spurgeon's appeal in the long run. Names like:

Ulysses 
Silas 
Obadiah
Hosea
Ezra
Gideon
Hamish
Edwin
Abraham
Cornelius
Elias
Hiram
Ephraim
Grover

Not only are these sort of names becoming "in vogue" with parents (100 year rule), but it's probably easy to pick a name first and find a "Christian Hero" connection with these sorts of late 19th century names second if that's something they're still interested in. Basically: pick a name that looks good with Spurgeon, isn't terrible like Spurgeon, find a reason it fits our narrative. 

31 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I was actually thinking another boy might be named Washer since Bin has a few quotes from Paul Washer on his instagram.  Or maybe Huckabee.  No idea what they'd name a girl though.  

Washer would be for a girl, though...washer of dishes...washer of clothes...washer of sibling-children...

3 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

If I had been asked before either Jill or Jessa had their first baby, which one would seem to take more happily and naturally to motherhood, I would have guessed Jill.  So I am a little surprised to have my opinion change now.  And of course, this is all just that, an opinion based on limited info and a few pictures.  But really, that picture of a screaming Izzy tightly swaddled still bothers me.  It's the combination of swaddling that poor little boy so tightly (what the hell?), and then taking a picture of him while he's so clearly upset, AND then posting it!  Something about that whole situation really shot up a big red flag.

If Jessa follows suit and later starts posting pictures of a screaming Spurgeon, I'll have to revise my opinion.

Well, I do remember Barack Obama joking (I think right around his inauguration) that when he was named Barack Hussein Obama, his parents weren't thinking that he'd ever become president.  I think he went by Barry as a young person, and then grew into his name as he got older. 

Leonidas - Leo or maybe Leon for short?

To your initial paragraph, I would have thought the same.

HOWEVER, we have to remember that Izzy is almost a toddler and already mobile. This is a totally different being, requiring a much bigger defense, than a helpless NB in his first few months of life. I'm thinking the controlling Jessa will have a bit more of a challenge when SS starts moving. In terms of natural interest and confidence, I would have thought Jill's personality would have made a better fit for the parenting gig, but that does not appear to be the case.

Jill lacks confidence in just about everything at this point, and being isolated from those J-Slaves must make her question herself, even moreso. Jill's on her own for the first time in her life, and not only that, she's also responsible for another human being. No Jana to give direction.

FYI, If they call Spurgeon "Spurge" for short, they should know that Spurge is a kind of grass that just won't die. Not even a full coat of Roundup will take it down. Wait a minute, maybe they already know! 

2 hours ago, habert said:

I know you all are having fun snarking, I'm not trying to derail that, but baby names are actually a big interest of mine! And I actually have thought about what "sibling" names might come next from Mr. and Mrs. Seewald.

It's hard to guess girl names because with one male baby there isn't much of a pattern yet. And obviously, people can change their minds about names or not really care if names "sound good" with each other. 

I think Ben and Jess will probably choose an "old" and "unique" name for a second boy that's actually fairly recognizable. This might help Spurgeon's appeal in the long run. Names like:

Ulysses 
Silas 
Obadiah
Hosea
Ezra
Gideon
Hamish
Edwin
Abraham
Cornelius
Elias
Hiram
Ephraim
Grover

Not only are these sort of names becoming "in vogue" with parents (100 year rule), but it's probably easy to pick a name first and find a "Christian Hero" connection with these sorts of late 19th century names second if that's something they're still interested in. Basically: pick a name that looks good with Spurgeon, isn't terrible like Spurgeon, find a reason it fits our narrative. 

Awwww...you include Grover but leave out Elmo? 

2 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I have a feeling they'd go with Puritan-style attribute names for a girl. But just like Charles wasn't a SPESHUL or holy enough tribute to Charles Spurgeon, they're not going to go with some plebeian attribute name like Grace, Hope, or Faith. We'll see Abstinence, Contemplation (something Ben doesn't do very much of), Faint-Not, Fight-the-Good-Fight-of-Faith, Hate-Evil, Humility, or Remembrance.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Jill lacks confidence in just about everything at this point, and being isolated from those J-Slaves must make her question herself, even moreso. Jill's on her own for the first time in her life, and not only that, she's also responsible for another human being. No Jana to give direction.

It's really sad that these children are not taught to believe in themselves.

I also think it might not help that Jill is possibly a bit ditzy and doesn't realize some of the things she does do more harm than good. 

However, we do not choose our blood relatives... or their crazy beliefs!

Ulysses 

Silas 

Obadiah

Hosea

Ezra

Gideon

Hamish

Edwin

Abraham

Cornelius

Elias

Hiram

Ephraim

Grover

Big name nerd here too. If you go back through my posts I actually listed a few of those names as my guesses for Spurgeon's name.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived