IGNORED

Jill, Derick, and Israel Part 12

Boogalou

4 hours ago, JoyfullyUnavailable said:

I also doubt that it was Jill that has Zika. I wouldn't wish that upon her. How sad for the person with the confirmed case in Arkansas.  Nonetheless I do hope the Dullards are on a baby making hiatus anyway, simply so they can continue to focus on adorable little Isreal before he become just a number in a sea of Dullard kids.

Do we know if it is a pregnant woman? It could be a man or nonpregnant woman and in that case it's no big deal right?

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my own mind, I believe the Dullards are back. They are not letting on as they have misled so many people through their grifting of money. Who will even make sure her Spanish teacher receives the funds for her sons? Oh, no one as it will automatically go to the Dullards. It will come out as some long sob story about Jill's health. They "plan" to go back when the timing is right. Or next time they feel like asking for money from people.

But, I also feel they have no business being there period. They are both worthless. They are doing nothing to actually help anyone. Jill is so mired in quick sand being by herself that she may never recover. Derrick is just useless. He seems to just want to wander about the world. I have no problem with that until you get married and have a child and ask for others to pay your way. So they need to back in Arkansas with the rest of useless adults living off of JB. I hope they eat poor man's pizza for a week straight.

56 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Do we know if it is a pregnant woman? It could be a man or nonpregnant woman and in that case it's no big deal right?

The only article that I saw reporting any specifics about the Arkansas case said that it was a teenage boy and his symptoms were mild.

20 hours ago, busdrivingmom said:

Weren't the Dillards supposed to be gone for 8 months?  What did they actually last as "missionaries"? 3 months?  

3 days more like it.

18 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

In my own mind, I believe the Dullards are back. They are not letting on as they have misled so many people through their grifting of money. Who will even make sure her Spanish teacher receives the funds for her sons? Oh, no one as it will automatically go to the Dullards. It will come out as some long sob story about Jill's health. They "plan" to go back when the timing is right. Or next time they feel like asking for money from people.

But, I also feel they have no business being there period. They are both worthless. They are doing nothing to actually help anyone. Jill is so mired in quick sand being by herself that she may never recover. Derrick is just useless. He seems to just want to wander about the world. I have no problem with that until you get married and have a child and ask for others to pay your way. So they need to back in Arkansas with the rest of useless adults living off of JB. I hope they eat poor man's pizza for a week straight.

The story about raising money for the English teacher sounds really suspicious to me. It would not surprise me if this is somehow an unintentional (i.e., the Dullards fell for a con artist and pulled others into it) or a deliberate scam (i.e., the Dullards needed quick money for...reasons). The leghumpers must be even more clueless than I thought if they just unquestioningly opened up their bank accounts just being a Duggar offspring said so. This is yet another case where increased media scrutiny on the Duggars' activities are needed. How are the Dullards supposed to minister to anyone if they don't speak the language of the country in question? As other people have noted, many indigenous Guatemalans speak tribal languages and have  only halting command of Spanish. If the Dullards went in with their insulting pig Spanish, they'd only serve to confuse their intended audience.

4 minutes ago, batuityma said:

The only article that I saw reporting any specifics about the Arkansas case said that it was a teenage boy and his symptoms were mild.

Oh good! I think it is really only a big deal if the victim is a pregnant woman. I thought I read something that said 80% of people didn't even have symptoms, so it didn't sound like too horrible a thing.

46 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Oh good! I think it is really only a big deal if the victim is a pregnant woman. I thought I read something that said 80% of people didn't even have symptoms, so it didn't sound like too horrible a thing.

It is estimated that only 1 out of 5 people will show symptoms, and as far as has been proven so far, it is only spread by one type of mosquito (Aedes Aegypti), although there is some speculation that it may be sexually transmitted. That needs further investigation though. Aedes Aegypti favors hot and humid conditions, so I don't think it's possible that it can spread within the USA at this time of year, but that could change for some of the southern states, as the weather warms up. I really don't think that people in the states need to be worrying about this just yet. 

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

The worry is that if there are individuals with Zika in the US, they can be bitten by local mosquitoes. The mosquitoes can then spread the virus to others, which may include pregnant women. This is not out of the realm of possibility, since the range of the vector (Aedes aegypti) reaches up to the southern US.

It's also worth noting that this isn't the first mosquito-borne disease to jump continents due to the mosquito species being found both abroad and in the US. When I started grad school, we discussed the possibility of chikungunya arriving here from Africa. A year later, lo and behold, it was here in the Americas!

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The story about raising money for the English teacher sounds really suspicious to me.

It always seemed odd to me as well.  Can someone refresh me on how and where they were asking for donations for this family?  Are they still asking?  Are they using some sort of fairly transparent fund-raising site like gofundme?

If they're filming again, Derick won't be getting a job with Walmart or anywhere else. He has to be available for filming. I still think that he was encouraged to quit Walmart because of his many absences. What's more important, building a tree house for TLC, or a steady job? Priorities, people.

4 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

The government of El Salvador has advised women not to get pregnant until 2018.  There are  5,397 confirmed cases of the Zika virus, including 96 pregnant women.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3425598/El-Salvador-urges-women-avoid-getting-pregnant-2018-avoid-babies-suffering-birth-defects-linked-Zika-virus.html

Am I the only one that finds this advice ridiculous. Google search tells me that the population of El Salvador is 6.34 million. 5397 is 0.085% of the population. That's a hell of a lot of people that DON'T have zika virus. I think the media can be both a blessing and a curse in situations like this. A blessing because everyone is aware of this virus now because of news reports, and can take precautions to protect themselves (especially pregnant women). A curse because the news doesn't always keep things in perspective.

It is absolutely tragic that so many babies have been born with terrible defects, and I can't imagine what their families are going through, but I think it's important to remember that these women contracted the virus before anyone new what the implications would be for an unborn baby, and therefore were not taking any precautions to avoid getting bitten. I wish we lived in a world where the media helped to educate people a bit more with facts, instead of sensationalizing everything thing.

21 minutes ago, unforgiving said:

Am I the only one that finds this advice ridiculous. Google search tells me that the population of El Salvador is 6.34 million. 5397 is 0.085% of the population. That's a hell of a lot of people that DON'T have zika virus. I think the media can be both a blessing and a curse in situations like this. A blessing because everyone is aware of this virus now because of news reports, and can take precautions to protect themselves (especially pregnant women). A curse because the news doesn't always keep things in perspective.

The figures from the government of El Salvador just represent confirmed cases of infection with the Zika virus.  Most of the population has not been tested.  "About 80 percent of those infected with Zika present no symptoms", according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  World Health Organization officials said Thursday the virus is “spreading explosively” and the Americas could see up to 4 million cases of Zika in the next year.

And, there is no 100% effective way of preventing mosquito bites.

4 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

The figures from the government of El Salvador just represent confirmed cases of infection with the Zika virus.  Most of the population has not been tested.  "About 80 percent of those infected with Zika present no symptoms", according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  World Health Organization officials said Thursday the virus is “spreading explosively” and the Americas could see up to 4 million cases of Zika in the next year.

And, there is no 100% effective way of preventing mosquito bites.

Okay then. I will remember to constantly panic, as I live in Brazil and am also 3 months pregnant.

I'm being snarky, obviously. Maybe it's the hormones.

I'm quite a rational human being though, and I'm not panicking. I don't even live in an area where Aedes Aegypti thrive (a lot of the USA is like that. It's mainly present in the south eastern states).

I'm aware that you cannot prevent mosquito bites 100% of the time (nor would you need to because it's only spread by 1 type of mosquito, and Aedes Aegypti only bites during daylight hours, and isn't particularly fond of the hottest part of the day - I've done my research).

And there's almost 1 billion people living in the Americas. 4 million cases out of 1 billion people is nothing in my opinion, especially bearing in mind that this virus isn't even harmful to non-pregnant women and men.

I can't decide whether the Dullards are back or not.  If not, I believe they'll be back soon--to film for a series or continued "special episodes" and because Jill thinks she's pregnant/is confirmed pregnant/wants to be pregnant/ is thinking about pregnancy/they're tired of playing missionary.

That being said, I think if they were back already, we would have had a confirmed sighting.  Even if they flew private plane from Houston or Miami (the usual ports for international flights to CA), I think someone would have spotted them at the airport and recognized them.  I mean between the frumpers, the screaming baby and the gangly husband, they do have a distinct look.

1 hour ago, unforgiving said:

And there's almost 1 billion people living in the Americas. 4 million cases out of 1 billion people is nothing in my opinion.

I agree that there is no cause for mass panic/hysteria.

However, I would like to point out that there are fewer than 1 billion people in areas where A. aegypti thrives. Thus, the incidence would be higher than 400 per 100,000 in the southern regions.

Additionally, I wouldn't consider that rate to be insignificant. In fact, 400 per 100,000 is pretty high. The majority of the Notifiable Infectious Diseases (including infections as common as gonorrhea) are reported to the CDC at lower rates in the US: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6253a1.htm

Finally, Zika may not be harmful to men or non-pregnant women, but the more infected individuals there are running around, the greater the risk to pregnant women.

that is the risk,  that infected persons,  who are asymptomatic,  will be bitten by mosquitoes and advance the spread. 

And, like other viral illnesses,  there is a risk of Guillain Barre syndrome.  There is apparently some indication that it might be a slightly higher risk than other similar viral infections.

5 hours ago, warriorblade8857 said:

I agree that there is no cause for mass panic/hysteria.

However, I would like to point out that there are fewer than 1 billion people in areas where A. aegypti thrives. Thus, the incidence would be higher than 400 per 100,000 in the southern regions.

Additionally, I wouldn't consider that rate to be insignificant. In fact, 400 per 100,000 is pretty high. The majority of the Notifiable Infectious Diseases (including infections as common as gonorrhea) are reported to the CDC at lower rates in the US: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6253a1.htm

Finally, Zika may not be harmful to men or non-pregnant women, but the more infected individuals there are running around, the greater the risk to pregnant women.

Oh no, that figure (400 per 100,000) certainly isn't insignificant, but like you pointed out, it's no cause for panic/hysteria. Statistically speaking, it's still pretty unlikely that any given individual will contract zika virus. Of course, it would be tragic for any pregnant woman that did contract it, and gave birth to a baby with birth defects as a result.

Don't get me wrong, what we are seeing here in the north of Brazil, as well as other South/Central American countries is horrifying, and it's even more tragic when you consider that the vast majority of the families effected by this do not have access to (or the means to pay) for medical care for their babies. And that is also another important point to take into consideration - the areas of the Americas where this virus has spread like wildfire are poverty stricken, and this has certainly contributed to the spread of the disease. Recife (the city where the surge in microcephaly was first noticed) is a place where raw sewage can be found flowing in the cities canals. Aedes Aegypti thrives in areas of high population and poor waste management. 

I think that the governments of South/Central America are facing a much harder task in trying to get the spread of this disease under control in their countries, than the US government will face. I'm not saying the US won't see this virus spread on it's own soil, come the warmer months, but I think it will happen at far lower rates than are currently been seen in the rest of the Americas, especially as they have the advantage of not only knowing in advance about this virus and what it can do, but also better infrastructure and waste management programs, and a more educated population, with access to internet/media, who can be more easily made aware of what precautionary measures they should be taking.

Like I said in a previous post, the media can be both a blessing and a curse in these situations, and I think it could be better used to educate people about how to protect themselves, and help prevent the spread of Aedes Aegypti, rather than reporting on the handful of individual cases that have been seen in the US (not even contracted on US soil) in a manner that causes some people to panic. Luckily, because this mosquito has been spreading other horrible diseases for centuries, there is quite a wealth of information and scientific studies out there about how to reduce the risk of it spreading. 

On 1/31/2016 at 9:43 PM, Imagine20 said:

Zika.  What a convenient excuse to come back stateside, especially if/when coupled with an official pregnancy announcement. 

Let's not help those who could be affected by spreading awareness so women have the tools to prevent a pregnancy during this outbreak. Or help provide mosquito relief.  Nope, let's run like hell so we don't catch it because birth control is evil and to heck with all those sweet, precious people of Central America..let them fend for themselves. 

This 100%. Missionaries are supposed to go where people need them the most, not flee when there's a real need. They're going to need all the midwives and prenatal care they can get. 

Jill is an adamantly pro-life, anti-abortion, anti-contraception midwife (or basically pregnancy first aide, midwifery requires more training). Women start getting a disease that causes fetal abnormalities and she up and leaves to go back to her sheltered McMansion? She doesn't stay to help the heartbroken mothers and dying disabled babies she wants people to be legally forced to have? 

I guess it's easy to be pro-life and anti-contraception when you can fly back home to daddy whenever there is a disease outbreak that might make your pregnancy dangerous. 

She's one of those "fuck you I got mine" pro-lifers. 

23 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

It always seemed odd to me as well.  Can someone refresh me on how and where they were asking for donations for this family?  Are they still asking?  Are they using some sort of fairly transparent fund-raising site like gofundme?

They were using the Dillards site to ask for money for the Spanish lessons. I learned later that if you did not write in the comments section that it was for the boys then the money automatically would go to the Dillards. I have wondered if that was written in really small print or bolded? The Duggars (around the time of the lumbar purchase) were asking/stating that the Dillards needed just $500 more to fulfill the schooling funds for both boys. Not sure why the Duggars couldn't pony up $500 but I guess jet fuel is pricey.

I still think the Dillards are on a very slippery slope with their accounting practices and money grifting.

Did they ever say which school these boys would be attending and say what the total cost was?  Was it just for English classes or was it an English immersion school?  How long were they attend?

That would be the kind of thing a normal person looking for donations might mention. But then again, people could verify their claims, so we can't have that! 

A blog post is coming from the Dillards.

Who's holding baby Izzy? Izzy reminds me of an Amish farmer with his overalls and no shoes. I bet that he is hot. Why not let him wear shorts.

Here's the link to the blog post asking for donations for the boys to learn English. Surprised there were no comments: http://www.dillardfamily.com/blog?ID=640eee2f-1577-4083-8bcd-c348ee66fc37#Comments_640eee2f-1577-4083-8bcd-c348ee66fc37

Since the Dillards are with SOS, why can't SOS fund the lessons?

I bet their whole accounting is a mess. I hope that someone is sending individuals who donate an acknowledgment letter. Their charity return is due May 15th. If they extend, then it is due August 15th. They can ask for a second extension. I am going to bet that they get a second extension.

A donor is responsible for obtaining a written acknowledgment from a charity for any single contribution of $250 or more before the donor can claim a charitable contribution on his/her federal income tax return.

Recipient organizations typically send written acknowledgments to donors no later than January 31 of the year following the donation. For the written acknowledgment to be considered contemporaneous with the contribution, a donor must receive the acknowledgment by the earlier of: the date on which the donor actually files his or her individual federal income tax return for the year of the contribution; or the due date (including extensions) of the return.

I hope they made the deadline for the acknowledgement letters to donors.

21 minutes ago, accountingstar said:

A blog post is coming from the Dillards.

Who's holding baby Izzy? Izzy reminds me of an Amish farmer with his overalls and no shoes. I bet that he is hot. Why not let him wear shorts.

Here's the link to the blog post asking for donations for the boys to learn English. Surprised there were no comments: http://www.dillardfamily.com/blog?ID=640eee2f-1577-4083-8bcd-c348ee66fc37#Comments_640eee2f-1577-4083-8bcd-c348ee66fc37

Since the Dillards are with SOS, why can't SOS fund the lessons?

I bet their whole accounting is a mess. I hope that someone is sending individuals who donate an acknowledgment letter. Their charity return is due May 15th. If they extend, then it is due August 15th. They can ask for a second extension. I am going to bet that they get a second extension.

I hope they made the deadline for the acknowledgement letters to donors.

I can't believe I'm going to defend the Dullards, but it's safer for Izzy to wear long pants than shorts to protect against the sun and mosquitos. He looks like he would burn quickly in the sun.

1 minute ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I can't believe I'm going to defend the Dullards, but it's safer for Izzy to wear long pants than shorts to protect against the sun and mosquitos. He looks like he would burn quickly in the sun.

Yes, I was thinking that he should be wearing a hat. He's very fair skinned.

I feel like the Dullards will have some sort of lawsuit against them for scamming in the not so distant future.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived