IGNORED

Bates Family Part 8

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Cats B4 Quivers said:

Because of the "Lawson: Hot or Not" debate, I spent an hour watching on YouTube. Not a full hour on Lawson but I did see part of a video with him singing Blue Christmas with Joy and Jason Duggar (Jason mumbled and Joy roughly followed the lyrics off her phone). Then I was sidetracked by a cat video (really cute orange cat named Marmalade who had a swollen eye and was wearing a cone of shame). Then an episode of "Most Popular Girl In School" ( it is hilarious!). Then, a video tribute to Bo Brady from Days Of Our Lives ( I still can't believe he was killed off! ). Finally back to Lawson in a video from his family's show. He was grocery shopping and bought lots of milk, cereal and bags of chips. Sounds like the diet of any guy in college except he lives in a cult full of his siblings.

Conclusion: not hot, especially compared to Bo Brady. And Marmalade the cat. 

Marmalade stole my heart too but really comparing anyone to a kitty isn't far. ;) 

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Have we talked about this pic?

CYKcdoGW8AAqjdl.jpg

CYKcptMWAAE2G_P.jpg

What are they watching?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I like about Chad is how he treats Erin.  He seems to really selflessly serve his family, and isn't concerned about seeming un-manly or being the "head of the household".

I know a lot of married couples that I am sure really love each other, but especially among the more religious, the husbands are VERY resistant to doing "women's work" or seeming "whipped" by their wives (because of all the work they do).

Dangerous cult, blah blah, but I think Chad sets a good example for fundie husbands.  I'm glad this is shown on TV, and I hope he encourages other religious guys to care less about seeming "manly" and instead focus on the happiness of their partner and family.  

ETA: This is the same way I feel about Erin and her willingness to share her struggles with miscarriage.  Yes, dangerous beliefs, but I think she is helping women in that community who also struggle with fertility realize they aren't alone.

They may have horrible beliefs, but that doesn't mean they never do anything of value.

The NKOTB talk reminds me of the time I almost got arrested for trying to set NKOTB concert tee shirts on fire. 

That s all I've got. Carry on. 

11 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

I also think that people that are genuinely happy or somewhat happy seem to appear better looking. For the most part, the Bates kids seem pretty happy and not in a keep sweet way. The Duggars tend to look miserable even when smiling. Duggar smiles rarely reach their eyes. 

----------------------

----------------------

///The above quote messed up and I can't fix it via tapatalk.

///

Because you said they seem happy I need to remind you that they were bought up using an outdated and harsh parenting style and that they had a room dedicated to white supremacists. But I'm sure you already knew that. What will your Godly hobbies be now that you're a part of the Gothard cult? FJ can't be one of them ;)

See how ridiculous that is? Every single time someone says something about them, the racism and cult card is pulled. We get it. We know. They're in a cult and Gil and Kelly are criminal masterminds. We read the threads and it's been said every 20 posts or so.

If people reminding you every page or so that Bates are actually awful people bothers you, then go to a Bates fan site. It is not going to stop and this isn't going to turn into a Bates love fest. Sorry, you are in the wrong place for that. I think bringing your silly fandom to FreeJinger is what is ridiculous.

https://www.facebook.com/BatesForeverPage

There ya go.

I just don't see what people find attractive about Lawson. To me he just look meh and potentially unintelligent*. Although my type tends to be the nerdy guys who can spew off random things about science but also good with there hands. 

* Actually I don't know if I could really consider him unintelligent because he figured out how to be apart of the world without worrying about getting in to much trouble with his parents.

also whoever up the thread consider Ryan Ryenolds being an Apple Boy I disagree. When it comes to celebrities he seems to actually be okay sure he says some stupid things but to me he never done much for me to want to shut him up. The only thing I find wary about Ryan Ryenolds is that he comes off as the guy who could not go without being married or at least engaged.

The thing is no one is disagreeing. That's why its so annoying. We all agree that the Bates have horrible, fucked up beliefs.

Exactly. No one is disputing that.

I think you can say nice things about both families, and not be a hugger. Yea the Duggars have a child molesting cheater, but that doesn't mean there are no redeeming qualities in the others and I would be safe to think Boob and Mullet love their kids as much as the Bates. If one thing I read on Ex Fundies is they say parents get into the system with the best of intentions because they love their kids. I agree Chad and Erin seem the least fake out of all the couples, Zach and Whitney a close second.

I dont recall the interview with Kelly being asked to name all the kids, but Gil won a bet with Boob when he named all the DUggar kids. Ghees I thought they saw betting as sin.

Re:New Kids
My fave was Jordan Knight I would have 'totally' thought about a one night stand with him, but I believed in the 'wait for marriage' thing then. Donnie was the 2nd fave. None of the others appealed to me.

6 hours ago, AreteJo said:

Chad loves Erin, big deal.  He's her husband, that's his job.  The bar is set so low for these people that they get gushing and cooing for doing things that are the minimal expectations for someone outside a cult.  And sorry, there is nothing exceptional about the looks of any of their babies to me.  Sure, they're cute.  Most babies are.

Well, plenty of people in the non-fundy world have relationships that are not as loving as we would wish and I do not in any way that fundy beliefs makes it easier to be a loving and caring husband. Instead men are more or less instructed to act in such a way that they will not be loving and caring. Yes, love is what a husband is supposed to show to his wife but is that always easy?

I am glad for both Erin and Chad that they seem to have a good relationship that does not seem to be damaged by these harmful teachings despite having bathed in them since childhood. 

I am to young for NKOTB (I had to look up the acronym) but I was very into Hanson and would have jumped Zac without a second thought as a teeny bopper. As far as I know they were the first boyband that sold the whole christian/purity/waiting-for-marriage thing that seems so popular with the Disney record labeled acts- and as far as I know they kept to it.

4 minutes ago, Alye said:

I am to young for NKOTB (I had to look up the acronym) but I was very into Hanson and would have jumped Zac without a second thought as a teeny bopper. As far as I know they were the first boyband that sold the whole christian/purity/waiting-for-marriage thing that seems so popular with the Disney record labeled acts- and as far as I know they kept to it.

Re: Hanson -- Taylor got his 17-year-old girlfriend pregnant and they got married just a few months before the baby was born. So the purity angle was a little disingenuous.

10 minutes ago, withaj said:

Re: Hanson -- Taylor got his 17-year-old girlfriend pregnant and they got married just a few months before the baby was born. So the purity angle was a little disingenuous.

So did Isaac. His wife was 3 months pregnant when they married, and that was after a long list of groupies he had slept with. The only one who publicly stated they waited until their wedding was Zac, but c'mon now, any Hanson fan knows that's a lie.

Well it does make sense now how they pretty much disappeared there for over a decade. All I knew was that they were all married and Taylor now has a boatload of kids. None of that ever hit the media here in Australia not like the Jonas brothers stuff with Nick dating Delta Goodrem when his purity ring disappeared.

Hanson disappeared for me just as Evanescence appeared and I went from teenybopper to 'Emo' for all of high school.

As far as I'm concerned the horrible beliefs and actions of the Bates cancel out any good. The reason being is their show is heavily edited and scripted to make them appear nice. I think this is especially true with Chad and Erin. I would even go so far as to say their blogs and social media are under the thumb of UP.

To me the disagreement is not over if Bradly is cute(he is) or if Chad and Erin seem to really love each other (they appear to), to me the disagreement is over if the Bates are a more normal, happy, loving family than the Duggars. Some people seem to feel like they are, I disagree. I don't really see any evidence that Gil and Kelly love their kids more or that their kids are happier. We get a heavily edited version of their life presented by people who have the benefit of knowing what people disliked about the Duggars and whose producers are not trying to make them look like freaks. Most of the differences in the family, IMO, come down to the amount of time spent on television and the money that comes with that, not the Bates being a happier, more normal family. 

When I would watch the Duggars, I felt like I was watching robots. Even the kids really thought about what they were saying before they said it. It was so bizarre. You knew you were never getting what was really on their mind.  It was always "neat" or "sweet" etc. They were all the same with the same opinions.  With the Bates, the kids at least speak some of their minds.  They teens get loud or talk over each other. They joke around and tease each other. We even saw Kelly joking around with her daughters. I could never see Michelle cracking up with her teen daughters and being silly. Does that make them happier than the Duggars? Probably not. But it definitely makes for better television. 

They do make better television just because they have more outgoing personalities. 

40 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

They do make better television just because they have more outgoing personalities. 

Some of them do.  Michael (and Brandon) don't seem to have outgoing personalities, and after the wedding, it will be interesting to see if they're still in the show as much, or fade in and out like the Websters.

8 hours ago, Alye said:

The thing is no one is disagreeing. That's why its so annoying. We all agree that the Bates have horrible, fucked up beliefs.

Not true. There are plenty of people who post that they think the Bates are just lovely people and sooooooo much better than the Duggars.

15 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Some of them do.  Michael (and Brandon) don't seem to have outgoing personalities, and after the wedding, it will be interesting to see if they're still in the show as much, or fade in and out like the Websters.

If they end up moving to Texas to live on the Alert compound then I imagine they won't be shown too much. There will be vague mentions of them "serving" in some "ministry" and they will be shown some, but I really doubt Gil and Kelly want to bring too much attention to IBLP at this moment. 

Agree that many of them are more outgoing and appear to have more fun.  However, it's important to remember that we see is highly edited and as FG says they have the Duggars to look to in order to gauge things.  Kelly in particular knows how to present her family in a better way, J'chelle has no clue how to do this, all she can do is talk in her baby voice and look at JB.  And while I am not trying to sound elitist, both Gil and Kelly have had college educations which might contribute to them being a bit smarter over how to present things.  And also how to work the grift. 

I think that it's important to pay very close attention to how the IBLP lawsuit goes down because it's going to say a lot about this family who is so closely affiliated. 

I think the picture has been posted before, but I don't remember anyone saying who that guy was. I'm not very good at recognizing people so I'm no help. 

4 hours ago, Alye said:

Well it does make sense now how they pretty much disappeared there for over a decade. All I knew was that they were all married and Taylor now has a boatload of kids. None of that ever hit the media here in Australia not like the Jonas brothers stuff with Nick dating Delta Goodrem when his purity ring disappeared.

Hanson disappeared for me just as Evanescence appeared and I went from teenybopper to 'Emo' for all of high school.

Hanson band and fandom are still going very strong (even here in Australia!) check out their latest album 'Anthem'. I've played it for a few people and they've been pretty gobsmacked when I tell them its by Hanson.

I assume those posted group pics are from a hotel lounge (for example, that looks like a pile of USA Today newspapers with "compliments of X hotel" stickers on them) where they had either watched last week's Republican Presidential debate, or the movie "Woodlawn."

They must be friends with a hotel owner--perhaps the hotel (Holiday Inn? or Holiday Inn Express?) where they have church.

I thought that picture was from when they all watched the season premier of Bringing up Bates? 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived